Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers are wastelands

2»

Comments

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Originally posted by sanders01

Which server are you playing on? I hear that the PvP server is pretty much dead, but the rest seem to be going strong.

The euro PVE one, don't ask me for the name, I never watch the log in screen with much attention.

There are no official EU server anymore. Halgar is the one that most EU player play on, he is not so empty like mid populated WoW servers even outside of EU prime play time. Reason that servers look empty can be that big cities are almost empty, just most peoples are spread all around the world. Finding party is as easy as it is on high populated WoW server and much easy than mid populated. Just check that you are not on the empty Sartok (PvP) server.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by Kexin

I don't care how they do it, a relaunch or whatever but SoE need to find a way to infuse a large quanity of new players into Vanguard. Since the world is so huge and the population can easily be spreaded out or just concentrated in one small area, Vanguard is a game that requires a large pop to feel alive and healthy. Either reduce the sub fee or just remove it all together, find a way.

I really dont know how soe can turn this game around. With War launching soon, it wll be an uphill battle. Unless they really go f2p, and use item shop to roll in money, else very hard....

Nice game though, love the big world and animation, but they also need new ideas for this game and mass publicity....

RIP Orc Choppa

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975

Originally posted by morpin
    Populations have definately gone up over the last few months. How much depends on who you ask.  It just seems like twice as many people around.
    I do not have a problem finding a group on my main or my alts.  I can not always find a group for the quest I want to do though.  Sometimes if you want to group you are going to have to group with people that want to do other (more popular) content.
    What makes Vanguard a fantastic game is the number of quests and dungeons and the complete vastness of the game.  If the game had only 10 dungeons and 100 group quests and the gaming area consisted of tiny little instanced areas with paths I bet you would always find people to group with on the content you wanted to do because of the lack of choices.
    Another thing. If you want to group you really should join a guild.  The people I have seen commenting on the low population dont seem to belong to guilds since I dont see comments like "half my guild has quit" or "nobody from my guild is ever on".  If you dont join a guild then you are going to have to rely on pick up groups.  One of the major reason guilds exsist is so that peole can more easily join a group or get help on a quest .

Ya i agree with what you say Morpin. Ive been playing sence day 1 on seradon and ive never had a problem getting groups on any of my alts and ive got 8 of them.
    My guild has grown big time in the last 2 or 3 months. Ya pops might not be as much as other games, but who cares the people that stay and like vanguard are some of the best players ive ever had the pleasure to play with
    I would honestly have to say that on seradon if you cant find groups its your own fault and no one else's

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I'm playing on seradon and I am not having any population problems.  I play during the evenings and weekends PST times.  I started a new character when I came back.  A bard who is now lvl 22.  I'd say that 70% of all my experience has come from pick up groups doing instances.  I have found the game fantastic for getting groups so far.  Far better then my experiences in AoC, EQ2 or Wow in the past 6 months playing as a new player in those games.  AoC was my most recent experience and after spending two evenings trying to make a group to do the cistern dungeon and both times being frustrated at not being able to get a decent group I decided to quit the game.

I've done the rift dungeon by tursh, the spider dungeon in veskal, the atlantan dungeon by veskel, the dungeon in vault of heros, the bear cave in vault of heros, KE, and on sunday I did the ant dungeon near Renton keep and got an amazing tunic from finishing the quest where you kill the queen ant.  Thats a LOT of grouping and all of it pickup groups without me knowing a soul.  The ant dungeon I did on sunday was at times actually almost crowded.  There were at least 3 groups I saw in there over the time I played in there on sunday.

So maybe you are finding the servers a wasteland but seradon is not leaving me wanting for more players.  When I created a character last night seradon was showing a population of medium.  I've checked the pop on it once kinda late in the evening and found something like 1300 players online.  I'm sure during peak times it is probably even more.

So I'm sorry you had a bad time and didn't see enough people to make you comfortable.  You might check out wow, ironforge had tons of people.  Unfortunately unless you are max level getting anyone to group with you will be a major pain, or they will just bring a lvl 70 alt and you can power lvl through the dungeon.  Have fun!!

---
    Ethion

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

I also play on seradon and I dont see any pop problems

The only issue that I see (as I suspect the OP has) is that groups are tough to find when I want to do specific dungeons. The world is huge, the pop (compared to the size of the world) is relatively small - so people tend to do a certain set of dungeons.all you have to do though is start your own group for your own specific dungeon and convince people to join u. This may take some time, but with so many solo quests around, I can just keep soloing until we have 2-3 in a group and then aggressively try to recruit more.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

This kinda upsets me, I was hoping on buying this game and having fun with it on the PvP server, but from what I hear, it's got 100-200 people PEAK time. :/ Thats low, very low for a P2P server.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

It doesnt matter anyways. Vanguard is a Extreme Fantasy Game and is to Complex for the simple. Only a few people enjoy games like this today and they are either playing vanguard or eq2. Not alot of gamers today even if Vanguard launch right now and not a year ago would be able to hold a population bigger then the one it already has. Like I read in a post earlier there is alot of gamers who just try new games out to see who they are then drop off the map. out of the 200+ players that this game would get on launch it would loose half by the end of the month while others take a little while to pick off. It will have releitivly the same numbers as Everquest does because they are the only gamers that like this type of genre on MMO's.

This kinda upsets me, I was hoping on buying this game and having fun with it on the PvP server, but from what I hear, it's got 100-200 people PEAK time. :/ Thats low, very low for a P2P server.

Yeah if you are oriented on pvp then VG isn't the best game for sure.  If you want pve oriented game however VG is probably the best one on the market today.

---
    Ethion

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

You're correct, OP, the poplation on the servers is low.  Fine, that's a fact.  But as far as getting groups go, I think it has more to do with your glowing personality (you've been constantly rude in your posts in this thread) that make people avoid you.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by ethion

Yeah if you are oriented on pvp then VG isn't the best game for sure.  If you want pve oriented game however VG is probably the best one on the market today.

1 ++ 

Vanguard is a PvE game first, they don't want to neglect their PvP section BUT a PvE based game will NEVER come close to the PvP in a PvP based game. Warhammer is a PvP game, go there. I'm not worried about Vanguard taking that big of a hit from WAR because Vanguard is mostly supported by the PvE playerbase. All the games coming out are either PvP or shooter oriented, I'm sticking to my PvE which probably means Vanguard.. Though I will try Aion.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

It doesnt matter anyways. Vanguard is a Extreme Fantasy Game and is to Complex for the simple. Only a few people enjoy games like this today and they are either playing vanguard or eq2. Not alot of gamers today even if Vanguard launch right now and not a year ago would be able to hold a population bigger then the one it already has. Like I read in a post earlier there is alot of gamers who just try new games out to see who they are then drop off the map. out of the 200+ players that this game would get on launch it would loose half by the end of the month while others take a little while to pick off. It will have releitivly the same numbers as Everquest does because they are the only gamers that like this type of genre on MMO's.

LOl Come on....some of these people need to get off their high horse....neither Vanguard nor EQ2 are complex at all....Theyre both do this quest and do that quest and there isnt a heck of alot more to them....All these people that try to make these games sound like you need a PHD to play are only fooling themselves.....The reason why Vanguard doesnt have more people is that its launch was flat out awful yet there were fanbois even then that said it was perfect and the best game around......Vnaguard has been dumbed down ever since beta 2 so dont give us the "its too complex for the simple" arguments..... Like some others have said you jsut dont know who to believe with this game......The game world is too big and youd need ten times the population of most games for it to feel like there are very many people because it is so spread out.....The size of the world in Vanguard is definitely a detriment to the game.

• andy_memmandy_memm Member UncommonPosts: 3

About 1200 players  on Xeth yesterday at about 11.30PM EST

Xeth has the 2. highest population afaik.

Now that the game is HUGE is another issue.

In my case I love it  exactly for being that huge and i can explore everything i can see.

Sure population is not like WoW  but i ve never had a problem finding groups or people s help for quests and I m not even guilded yet.

Originally posted by Theocritus

LOl Come on....some of these people need to get off their high horse....neither Vanguard nor EQ2 are complex at all....Theyre both do this quest and do that quest and there isnt a heck of alot more to them....All these people that try to make these games sound like you need a PHD to play are only fooling themselves.....The reason why Vanguard doesnt have more people is that its launch was flat out awful yet there were fanbois even then that said it was perfect and the best game around......Vnaguard has been dumbed down ever since beta 2 so dont give us the "its too complex for the simple" arguments..... Like some others have said you jsut dont know who to believe with this game......The game world is too big and youd need ten times the population of most games for it to feel like there are very many people because it is so spread out.....The size of the world in Vanguard is definitely a detriment to the game.

No goldknight is right.  vanguard is too complex for most of the younger mmorpg crowd.  They would find wow much more to their liking.  VG is for a more mature gamer that is looking for more depth in an MMORPG which unfortunately excludes a fair number of people.

Course I also agree with you VG did have an aweful launch that does give it a bad taste in many peoples mouths.  It also had a reputation of being hard core since Brad the father of EQ was producing it.  And finally as you say the world is so large that many people start the game and don't see a lot of people and immediately assume the world is empty. 

But that said I think that it has improved since launch considerably.  Many of the issues with the bad launch, hard core reputation, and even overly large world have been or are being corrected.  With GU6 I'd say all these issues will have been fixed and it just remains to be seen if word of mouth will bring people back.  Most people don't remember what a disaster eve was when it launched.  That game seemed certain to go under but they kept at it and it has grown steadily.  Perhaps VG can do that as well.  Time will tell. 

There are people out there looking for more depth and interested in pve and VG is a very good fit, it just needs to overcome the issues you have listed.  Anyway thats my opinion for what it's worth :P

---
    Ethion

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Yeah man, it is a serious shame, the PvP in this game could be so good...  You are right though, the PvP server is very dead.  There used to be faction based PvP, realm vs realm or whatever, but for some insane reason they scrapped that one and kept the Free For All one.   There were quite a few poor decisions made with this game.  In fact, overall, this game probably had the worst launch in the history of gaming.  (I think AoC is pretty bad, but at least the servers were stable) The only other blunder that might match it was the NGE in SWG. (both SOE heh)

However, if you enjoy PvE at all, this game is really awesome now.  Play on Seradon, there's tons of people on all the time.  The server is usually at "medium" which means it is about perfect.  Enough folks to group with, but not so many it will lag the server out.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Im really skeptical about trying this game now. I want PvP with a little pve raiding, but it seems this doesnt have too much of that. Think EQ II would be better? Or hell I was even thinking of trying COH

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• JaszJasz Member UncommonPosts: 67

Its true that the servers are barren but I see improvement every day. The reputation of Vanguard is against the games growth but there are people still coming to it. Its a great game with lots of room for improvement.

I am eager to see how it will look in another year. I'm not a fan of SOE but thanks for not giving up on this one.

Originally posted by Theocritus

This game is about as hard as.. WoW, and Everquest 2 is even easier.. It is a quest driven game just like all the others.  Vanguard is absolutely nothing like the original Everquest.  Which was NOT a quest driven game, and you had to have a full group to do ANYTHING.

People spout all this nonsense about how this game is so difficult and complex all the time and I have to wonder, have they ever played any other MMOs?  Especially anyone who compares Vanguard to EQ, they can't possibly have played the old EQ.  They are different as night and day.

LOTRO, WOW, EQ2, Vanguard they are all the same sub genre of MMOs.  EZ mode quest driven games with alot of solo play.

Im really skeptical about trying this game now. I want PvP with a little pve raiding, but it seems this doesnt have too much of that. Think EQ II would be better? Or hell I was even thinking of trying COH

EQ2 has a great PvP system IMO.  It is very ruthless.  You lose all the coin on you plus an unbound item when you are PK'd.  I've seen a friend get ganked and lose 40 plat outside of freeport because she forgot to bank.  We still make fun of her for that.  You also gain status, leveling experience and alternate experience from killing other players.  That makes it really awesome IMO.

Of course EQ2 PvP has a fatal flaw... there are zones everywhere, and it is so freakin hard to kill people.  It is VERY easy to run away.  Most of the players will have some form of evac/escape, and if they do not engage you in combat, they keep their jacked up runspeed, while you are slow as hell trying to catch them before they zone/evac or whatever.  It becomes very frustrating.