Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is the level cap still 20?

SSJGotenx268SSJGotenx268 Member Posts: 63

questiion is stated - is the level cap still 20?

Comments

• Sanctus_MorsSanctus_Mors Member Posts: 597

Still 20, although I don't see why it needs to go beyond 20. Skills are either bought of captured.

your arguement is so persuasive, so filled with knowledge and insight. You back up your argument very articulately, with suggestions of improvements and raising examples to glorify your position....oh wait, you didn't

• Fatal_ReduxFatal_Redux Member Posts: 23

Yes, it is still 20, but ANet is saying that in GW2, the level cap will be higher...

What that is, i don't know, but I am interested in it for the prospect of obtaining more attribute points, not to be overpowering.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Yes it is still 20. I don't get why people want it to be higher either. How is more levels = more fun? All that means is you have to grind more to reach max level, while they have to make the monsters higher level with you.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• Fatal_ReduxFatal_Redux Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

Yes it is still 20. I don't get why people want it to be higher either. How is more levels = more fun? All that means is you have to grind more to reach max level, while they have to make the monsters higher level with you.

It gives you something to talk about and maybe they'll add high-level equipment to go along with it. I like how it  is easy to get to the max level in GW, but there is no reward for it. The changes could give you some reward, and everyone has to face the GW grind somehow. Didn't you have to work for being a level 20? It doesn't just magically bestow itself upon you, i'm sure that you had to do something extra, so one would just have to do slightly more to get to the next level. The leveling in GW isn't impossible, unlike some games (like WoW).

• Originally posted by Fatal_Redux

It gives you something to talk about and maybe they'll add high-level equipment to go along with it. I like how it  is easy to get to the max level in GW, but there is no reward for it. The changes could give you some reward, and everyone has to face the GW grind somehow. Didn't you have to work for being a level 20? It doesn't just magically bestow itself upon you, i'm sure that you had to do something extra, so one would just have to do slightly more to get to the next level. The leveling in GW isn't impossible, unlike some games (like WoW).

I agree with you about the leveling taking awhile in other mmo's, but other people would kill you for saying that. WoW is one of the easiest mmo's to level up in...try something like lineage. That's about 100x harder. Though I don't see why that is any fun. I think Guild Wars has the right idea.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Fatal_Redux

Try to look at it in a different way. In GW (especially Factions and NIghtfall) the lvling is considered a learning period. The goal is unlocking and completing the main story line. PVE anyway.

For PVP, having a lowlvl cap doesnt matter anyway, if you want to have an even playing field.

GW has relatively a lot max lvl PVE content as opposed to other MMO's. Which I prefer , because I know how in other MMO's a lot of people make sure they are higher lvl then what is intended for a quest/instance. Which isnt possible in about 80% of GW's PVE content.

• DanBurkeDanBurke Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Fatal_Redux

there is a reward for reaching max level on Prophecies if ou get to lvl 20 before leaving Pre-searing!!

just thoguht i'd add.. :)

Playing: GuildWars
    Contemplating: Silkroad, WoW
    Waiting: GuildWars 2, Stargate Worlds

• asurakingasuraking Member Posts: 13

They said in gw2 it could be lvl 100 or even infinet but thy havnt confirmed it

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by asuraking
    They said in gw2 it could be lvl 100 or even infinet but thy havnt confirmed it

The level cap will be raised. It has been suggested that this could be as much as 100 or even unlimited. There will be a plateau of power, where each level no longer adds as much to the power of the character. A sidekick system has been mentioned which would allow characters of a lower level to play with high level characters without disadvantage.

That's all that been said about levels. So we'll see a higher level cap but once you reach a certain level your "stats" won't increase or anything. Otherwise the game would become a big grindfest where the highest leveled is the "best" one. In PvP there will be a set max level to make all characters equal.

• OldKnightOldKnight Member Posts: 235

I actually do not think the level cap should be higher in GW2, but instead leveling should be more time consuming and you should have to put forth a little effort to get to the level cap.

• mac579mac579 Member Posts: 34

I agree with Sumforumguy. I've played several other mmo's (Wow, City of Heroes/Villains, DAoC) as well as all of the Guild Wars games and have found GW much more entertaining as far as the PVE is concerned. Once you hit 20 you can concentrate on just playing the game, getting as much high level armor and weaponry as you want and accumulating as many elite skills as you can get. I'll take that over the constant grind for leveling to 70 or 80 or whatever high cap some of these other games have.

Playing Guild Wars (all games in franchise but mainly GWEN and Nightfall) and WoW (just returned to this great game).

Eagerly awaiting Aion, Guild Wars 2 and Wrath of the Lich King.

Have also played CoV/CoH

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

Didn't you have to work for being a level 20? It doesn't just magically bestow itself upon you, i'm sure that you had to do something extra, so one would just have to do slightly more to get to the next level. The leveling in GW isn't impossible, unlike some games (like WoW).

Couple things.  I got to level 20 on 90% my characters by just doing missions and quests.  I never had to do anything "extra" like just going out to get experience points.  I was either working my way towards a boss i wanted to get a drop off of or quests or missions and *bing* level 20.  Unless they make quests, missions and bosses harder to where i'd have to do it more and more there is nothing to leveling in GW.

Also, bad example on WoW.  You can get to max level in WoW in a day.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by mac579

I agree with Sumforumguy. I've played several other mmo's (Wow, City of Heroes/Villains, DAoC) as well as all of the Guild Wars games and have found GW much more entertaining as far as the PVE is concerned. Once you hit 20 you can concentrate on just playing the game, getting as much high level armor and weaponry as you want and accumulating as many elite skills as you can get. I'll take that over the constant grind for leveling to 70 or 80 or whatever high cap some of these other games have.

Its what you make of it.  Alot of players think WoW is a grind after they hit 70 and start doing bosses/PVP because there aren't any more levels to look forward to.

I give Arenanet alot of credit for trying something different with Guild Wars but I definitely think it would have been much more popular if they'd made the leveling/PVP structure more like a traditional MMO.  From what they've said about GW2 it looks like they feel the same way.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525
    Originally posted by Chieftan 
    I give Arenanet alot of credit for trying something different with Guild Wars but I definitely think it would have been much more popular if they'd made the leveling/PVP structure more like a traditional MMO.  From what they've said about GW2 it looks like they feel the same way.

Well I wish them luck with the infinite levels, but I'm not going for it. It's just going to become a free WoW, from what I've read. I love GW BECAUSE of the 20 levels. GW2 will be 'just another one of those 300+ MMOs'.

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    Originally posted by OldKnight

I actually do not think the level cap should be higher in GW2, but instead leveling should be more time consuming and you should have to put forth a little effort to get to the level cap.

why?

is there not enough already in the game? ive been playing since launch and there is always something to do... my lvl 20 which ive had since release can still be better. there are over 1000 skills to capture/unlock... titles that i didnt bother to count, factions (factions), aliances (EOTN), gvg, 4v4, hoh etc....

GW is not about leveling, its about playing