Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone finally snapped.

Comments

• ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979

People who sue are just in it for the money. It applies to every single situation. Get in a wreck? The person who caused it should pay only for the damage nothing more. Got fat off of eating at mcdonalds. The most mcdonalds should do is pay for your meal. Some of you might argue that it is a form of justice to make the other guy pay triple of the damage caused. I see no justice in making a huge profit because some guy messed up a tad. It is not a big deal that funcom did not deliver what was all promised. All that matters in a game is are you having fun playing it? If not then dont play it take it back to the store, get your refund, and be done with it. If you really want to make a big deal of it then it must be God's fault for allowing this company to false advertise. See it is just ridiculous so get over it.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980
    Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by Jimmydean

And this is what happens when a cartoon game brings 8 year old kids to a genre of gaming like no other. Your 50 dollars would have been much better spent on a new pocket protector or perhaps one of those cool new spongebob lunchpails. MMOs will never change, but the player base has become... special.. since a certain market giant that looks like a ripoff of the tele-tubbies.

MMOs will never change if we, as gamers and consumers, continue to passively surrender our money to MMO companies that release half finished and broken products. If we don't do anything about it, it will never change.

Interestingly enough, the MMO industry is the only one where disgruntled customers get insulted by their fellow customers for wanting the advertised product.

You're right; we're just lazy I guess. However, legal action may not be the best course. For instance, I still say that everyone here would agree that boycotting Funcom is 1) easy to do, 2) free, 3) hurts Funcom's wallet, and 4) something everyone can do without knowing law. To those people who say "Man stop taking it so seriously, just get a refund and shut up"...it means you're accepting that the company did that to you.

Admittedly, a simple MMO video game may not be enough incentive to cause any kind of action other than returning that game and forgetting about it. That's fine, but if we can send a message to other companies that we won't take this kind of crap, it could make future MMOs better. Or it could not; the developers have to be smart enough to understand that fact...

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• RetradRetrad Member UncommonPosts: 274

Didn't Funcom basically make false advertisement to sell their game? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't false advertisement....well....illegal?

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Retrad

Didn't Funcom basically make false advertisement to sell their game? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't false advertisement....well....illegal?

Yes, but people seem to not care as much because it's an MMO. And since MMOs can have patches, expansions, etc., they think it's okay. Whereas a single player game cannot be tweaked very easily after it's released, it has to have all the features promised or people will be outraged. The simple fact is this: If Funcom couldn't get DX10 in the game before launch, if they didn't test the keep sieges to see how many people could participate realistically, then they shouldn't have advertised those things on the box. I don't know why people are being so lenient.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• FarandirFarandir Member UncommonPosts: 111

Bloody hell, people are stupid sometimes...

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

To be honest taking legal action against Funcom would not be the way to go, for one the case would be hard to prove and expensive to implement.  There are however better and free ways to cause public embarrassment to Funcom.  A couple of years back a certain software developer released a product that was riddled with bugs and eventually a few of the people that bought the software complained about it to a TV consumer program, which led to the head of the development team having to answer some very searching questions in defence of his company on TV.  He didn't do very well and the company was shown up for what it was.

If you feel really strongly about AoC and what Funcom have pulled just register your complaints about it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/contact_index.shtml  no need for legal action but it's a certain kick in FC's nuts.

• buckstar0814buckstar0814 Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by ASmith84

People who sue are just in it for the money. It applies to every single situation. Get in a wreck? The person who caused it should pay only for the damage nothing more. Got fat off of eating at mcdonalds. The most mcdonalds should do is pay for your meal. Some of you might argue that it is a form of justice to make the other guy pay triple of the damage caused. I see no justice in making a huge profit because some guy messed up a tad. It is not a big deal that funcom did not deliver what was all promised. All that matters in a game is are you having fun playing it? If not then dont play it take it back to the store, get your refund, and be done with it. If you really want to make a big deal of it then it must be God's fault for allowing this company to false advertise. See it is just ridiculous so get over it.

<Mod edit>
    some guy messed up a tad

Funcom, not some guy,  messed up a lot. I know this is out of context but your posting is about  aoc so I'm putting it  to keep in with the topic.
    It is not a big deal that funcom did not deliver what was all promised.
    To me it's about a 50.00 big deal. I didn't expect perfection but I also didn't pay that much to beta test for them which is what I did during my first month that came with the game.
    take it back to the store, get your refund, and be done with it.

Please, tell me what store you know of that takes back a video game once you have opened the box. I bought mine at Best Buy and they won't. They will exchange it for the same game if I said it was defective but that would be like shooting myself in the foot twice, not to mention be dishonest. Funcom may have done that to me but I don't want to pass that along.
    pay triple

No, I'll just take 49.99 back. I will eat the cost of the tax.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Ascension08 
    You're right; we're just lazy I guess. However, legal action may not be the best course. For instance, I still say that everyone here would agree that boycotting Funcom is 1) easy to do, 2) free, 3) hurts Funcom's wallet, and 4) something everyone can do without knowing law. To those people who say "Man stop taking it so seriously, just get a refund and shut up"...it means you're accepting that the company did that to you.
    Admittedly, a simple MMO video game may not be enough incentive to cause any kind of action other than returning that game and forgetting about it. That's fine, but if we can send a message to other companies that we won't take this kind of crap, it could make future MMOs better. Or it could not; the developers have to be smart enough to understand that fact...

While I agree with you that boycotting Funcom's products is the best way to go, there really is no sure fire way to make sure that it works. There are just too many gamers out there and there is absolutely no organization what so ever. In order for it to really work, thousands of people need to be involved and I just don't see that happening.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

While I agree with you that boycotting Funcom's products is the best way to go, there really is no sure fire way to make sure that it works. There are just too many gamers out there and there is absolutely no organization what so ever. In order for it to really work, thousands of people need to be involved and I just don't see that happening.

Thousands have already been involved and spoken, how many cancelled subs do you think AoC has suffered since release?

• OpticaleyeOpticaleye Member Posts: 498

Hey can the moderators move this over to the SWG forums?

Seems as if you guys have a lot in common.A real big fantasy about winning a "class action lawsuit" against the big bad corporation that ruined a game for you.

FC has loads of cash to drag this 1 out if it ever gets off the ground.

What is your physical limit?

Originally posted by eric1000

Thousands have already been involved and spoken, how many cancelled subs do you think AoC has suffered since release?

Yes, but how many of those people will come back when Funcom fixes the game? Or how many will never buy another game from Funcom again? Like I said, in order to make it really work, organization is required.

• PraxusPraxus Member Posts: 266

Sueing over an mmorpg? Get a life!

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Maybe Funcom emplyees were too busy playing WoW.

• ImjinImjin Member Posts: 366
    Originally posted by Opticaleye

Seems as if you guys have a lot in common.A real big fantasy about winning a "class action lawsuit" against the big bad corporation that ruined a game for you.

Stop for a second and ask yourself why the forums would be similar.  And you may want to check the financial news as of late about FC's financial situation.

Personally I feel the damage is done and the game will never reach its potential no matter what happens

Fungerer som det skal

• ImjinImjin Member Posts: 366

because I enjoyed the rant  :)

frivolity

Fungerer som det skal

• OpticaleyeOpticaleye Member Posts: 498
    Originally posted by Imjin

Stop for a second and ask yourself why the forums would be similar.  And you may want to check the financial news as of late about FC's financial situation.

Personally I feel the damage is done and the game will never reach its potential no matter what happens

Give me a break.Yeah ive seen the stupid little stock graph some1 put up big deal.Have you noticed the economy worldwide just sucks now?

I know why its similar because the incessant whining and threats are just silly.In 6 months time this is going to be a COMPLETLEY DIFFERENT GAME from launch date.

This fantasy of a class action lawsuit is just stupid i dont care what game it is.SWG AoC EQ2 whatever...get a life already the game isnt going to be shutdown anytime soon.As much as you and all the other players that have nothing to do would love to see this its not going to happen in 6 months or in 1 year.

What is your physical limit?

Give me a break.Yeah ive seen the stupid little stock graph some1 put up big deal.Have you noticed the economy worldwide just sucks now?

I know why its similar because the incessant whining and threats are just silly.In 6 months time this is going to be a COMPLETLEY DIFFERENT GAME from launch date.

This fantasy of a class action lawsuit is just stupid i dont care what game it is.SWG AoC EQ2 whatever...get a life already the game isnt going to be shutdown anytime soon.As much as you and all the other players that have nothing to do would love to see this its not going to happen in 6 months or in 1 year.

The game may not shot down but it will have a hard time staying afloat. Vanguard and Matrix Online are a prime example of this. Are there people still playing those games? Absolutely. Are the subscription numbers high enough to keep the games afloat outside of SOE's gaming plan with a full development team? Absolutely not.

AoC is heading towards a similar fate. Chances are that 1 year from now it will have a skeleton crew of developers working on it while Funcom is trying to recoup it's losses by lying and hyping up their new MMO -- Secret World -- hoping that enough people will buy into the hype.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

lol honestly, if the Secret World MMO was started back in 2005, its fcked as well.

I checked the site and found a general FAQ about the game, to sum it up, all the answers were

"I dunno"

and if I want see an alternate version of Earth where magic exists, I'll play the new Wolfenstein game in development, or watch the Hellboy movies thank you.

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546

because I enjoyed the rant  :)

frivolity

Thanks. :)

I knew I was way off.

You know, I returned an iTouch just because it didn't have the phone in it.  I baught it before I knew the new phone was a hundred less; so I returned it and waited for the phone to be released.  I LOVED the iTouch. 

Damn.  Just realised.  The only other thing I've ever actually wanted this much was my ex.  Eff me, I'm a loser.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Bakoryo

you've never read the "Online game experience may change during time." on the package?
    Though im not quoting it. But it's there anyhow. And since when should you belive what the package says?

It's like commercials. "This toothpaste gives you white teeth!"

And oh, suing a game for refund on the box bought. It can only happen in the states!

it doesnt say anything on the box about 'game experiance changing online', though it does mention dx10 and sieges.

anyway, it probably wont be anything more than a small hassle or a little bad PR for funcom, if anything comes of this at all. i doubt many people will ever hear about this, and it would probably take months (or more)to resolve anyway.

in the end, just not paying them anymore if you dont like the game is the best way to 'fight' them.

• bacardi151bacardi151 Member UncommonPosts: 2

Not sure if someone already posted this, but a similar lawsuit was brought up in 1999 vs Ultima Online.

Details here:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/066/066277p1.html

Ultima Lawsuit Ends
    Both sides claim victory as a settlement is reached.
    by IGN Staff

showUSloc=(checkLocale('uk')||checkLocale('au'));document.writeln(showUSloc ? 'US, ' : ''); January 5, 1999 - The consumer class action lawsuit brought by Ultima Online customers and attorney George Schultz against Origin Systems and its parent company Electronic Arts has been settled.

Under the terms of the settlement, the plaintiffs (all people who had at one time bought Ultima Online and found faults with it), won't receive any refunds or free playing time. Nor will Electronic Arts pay the legal costs incurred by the attorney, George Schultz (the plaintiffs, in a case like this, do not pay legal up-front legal fees to an attorney).

In fact, the only winner would seem to be the San Jose Tech Museum of Innovation, a California museum that will be given $15,000 by Electronic Arts as part of the settlement. And that $15,000 payment would seem to be the only thing the suit has extracted from EA.

"This lawsuit... was in our view without merit from the beginning, and served no purpose other than to harass and distract Electronic Arts and Origin from their business of making entertainment software," Electronics Arts said in a written statement, its only response to the resolution of this suit. "Such frivolous lawsuits stifle innovation and threaten the creative community's efforts to bring new technologies to the consumer," the company charged further.

George Schultz, the attorney for the plaintiffs and the primary mover in the case, says differently.

"We're not trying to tell anybody how to design a good game or a bad game," Schultz told us last year, when the suit was filed. "Any developer has a right to make a good game or bad game. We're not getting into whether there should be player killing or not player-killing. What it's about is holding Origin and EA to the promises they made on the box, in their advertising, and the manual. It's about the misrepresentations they've made.

"A big problem with the gaming industry is that they think there is some special rules that apply only to them," he said.

Since the resolution of this suit, Schultz has said that the case has improved the game industry and made it more aware of bugs. EA disagreed with that assessment.

"Notwithstanding the self-aggrandizing of the plaintiffs' counsel, the suit's only practical consequence was to hurt the very people he claimed to be helping by diverting time and resources from game development and support," the company said. It went on to call the settlement a "victory" for companies whose job it is to build innovative games.

Not exactly what many will be looking for, but there is a precedent to dismiss these types of lawsuits.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Truth is many people upgraded their PC for DirectX and bought Vista, spending hundreds, if not one thousand or more dollars. I think Funcom should repay those costumers, and hopefully a sensible judge would agree on that.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by altairzq

Truth is many people upgraded their PC for DirectX and bought Vista, spending hundreds, if not one thousand or more dollars. I think Funcom should repay those costumers, and hopefully a sensible judge would agree on that.

You might have a point if FC had a gun to their head.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546
    Originally posted by altairzq

And yet the game can be played on XP with DX9 just fine.

Since when should a software company be responcible for your desicion to upgrade your hardware.

I also can't find simpathy for anyone that spent thousands to play a single 50 dollar game.  Why would you do something like that?

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

That is a true hero right there.

I hope he wins.