Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you play DAoC, and did if so, why'd you quit?

Comments

• HensenLirosHensenLiros Member Posts: 461

Lack of players, death of New Frontiers, servers merge, LoS casting exploits, radar.

Was fun before all that tho.

Ultima Online 98~04
    Dark Age of Camelot 03~07
    Final Fantasy XI 04~06
    Guild Wars 05~08
    World of Warcraft 04~05
    Unsuccessful Tries: DFO/EQ2/DRaja/Rag/Req/RYL/9D/Cabal/KO/PSU/RF/GE/TO/TR/DDO/EVE/LoTRO/L2/RZ/SWG/VG

• jaycat80jaycat80 Member Posts: 6

I played DAoC when it first came out and quit shortly after Trials of Alantis. I couldn't bear the thought of leveling items and whatnot. so I left for SWG/WoW/CoH. I think DAoC has the best RvR around and I have tried a ton of mmo's (more the above mentioned). If War is anything like DAoC, and I hope it is, then I think it will do fine. However I am a little peeved that "Greenskins" have only 1 flippin orc now (when I think of Greenskins, I think of orc's,  goblins are the farthest thing from my mind). Sorry I'll save my remarks for the correct post!

• walker68walker68 Member UncommonPosts: 156

Dark age had by far the best end game of any mmo to date imo.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

I quit DAoC after 7 months of play because of the radar hacking/cheating. If you didnt cheat, you couldnt compete in RvR really. Mythic did nothing about it, so they lost me as a subscriber.

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

I played. Started with Beta.

Then was sent to Kosovo on a TOD. Stopped playing and never got back into things when I came back. *shrug*

• GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262

I played at release for about 9 months. I left because i ended up on a server that was greatly out numbered by both the other realms and had no chance to exp any end game stuff.

I returned when the 2nd expansion came out and found a balanced server. I played for about 1.5 yrs and left then because of a few patches that were gearing mostly toward the group RvR. These patches really seemed to hinder the solo rvr classes ( archer / rogue types) Stuff like faster heals and more absorbant armor made it harder to snipe with my ranger.

I enjoyed the group RvR but i have worked graveyard shift for over 15yrs. So when not at work i play the night shift all the way until the morning. Even on populated servers the numbers die late at night. So this was when i'd switch to my ranger. Nerfing the solo pvp took away a lot of my playing time , so i left.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Radarlol. The worst thing ever.

• walker68walker68 Member UncommonPosts: 156

TOA killed it for me, that and most my friends left for wow.

Of all the games ive played, even the war beta none can compair to old school Dark Age of Camelot.

• OdseusOdseus Member UncommonPosts: 29

Played in open beta.  Didn't start the game until early Nov. 2001. 

Tried various classes through out the mids and hibs.  But there was something about the albion cleric in the early days that hooked me, i quit around Sept 2002.

The nerf hammer was laid down hardcore on the smite line.  I wanted to do some dps and maybe I don't know have some cc abilities but those were stripped down to a shaodw of what they were.  Buffbotting was taking off in a big way and I found it rather disturbing.  Mythic would rather have bots playing clerics then actual players.

Tried to make a come back with an armsman a few years later, soon as i hit lvl 35 i level'd out of the bg's i was done, there was no way i was going to make it to 50.

Went through the a few betas over the course of the a few years with ryzom, eq 2, shadowbane, l2, guild wars, wow.

Played wow on and off for 4 years as a ret pally *sigh* welcome to the nerf hammer again.

• ZanzeerZanzeer Member Posts: 80

cause the game is dead ...dont feel like spending 14 bucks a month on a game that has not population

why must you QQ so much ...

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

Constant...uncaring..unceasing...never ending ........... N E R F S !

Game killing expansions..that litterally drove tens of thousands of subscribers away.

• vinzonevinzone Member UncommonPosts: 255

I quit DAoC because me and all my friends i played with moved to another game

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Quit when ToA came out and played some other games. Nothing really compared to it. Even went back to EQ and none of the newer games compared to that. Went back to daoc with classic and had a blast playing again. Had more fun in the BGs like molvik or cv. Wasn't too fond of the NF, liked the old ones better. Got really busy and quit. Thinking of going back, even with poor population since WAR isn't capturing the fun I had even 6 months ago in daoc.

• OlroxOlrox Member Posts: 46

I played all the way up untill trials of atlantis was released. It WAS the best MMO and probably my fav of all time, lots of memories playin that game.

MMORPGS arn't the same anymore, I sadly see it as a dying genre unless they make somthing really worth while playing.

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

I quit when pve became task dungeon grinding. Even Catacombs was empty, much less SI and the overworld, which is a shame because some of the old dungeons are superb(cant say the same for all the old zones though). I made the mistake of playing EQ2 and WOW, games that fail in all meaningful categories compared to DAOC. I came back a year ago, but by then the stench of death was everywhere. Its a shame: DAOC is still the best MMO out there, but its UI, clunkyness, age, and slow combat will probably stop it from a resurgence as long as they charge a monthly fee.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• gschenk3gschenk3 Member Posts: 93

Most the changes they put in I found ways to work around. What finally did it for me was the archery changes. They struck me as needlessly arbitrary and WoWesque. 

If they bring back archery the way it used to be I'll most certainly be back.

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203

I left because of the imbalance the expansions created to RvR and the whole game. I'm waiting on the new server type to be released and then I'll be one happy camper.

• GassMannGassMann Member Posts: 2

I played DAoC for about 6-7 month (playtime) and I quit the game due to lack of competition about 1 year ago. Not flame style, but the server pop became lower and lower, and in the end server after server died.

DAoC had one thing that hadnt been made before, and havent yet been made in any other game; Openworld RvR. Unfair, tactical, skillfull PvP at its best.

Ups and Downs:

When the game came out, it was talking over from games like EQ and Asrons Call (spl) on the RPG side, and Diablo on the actionside. This combination DAoC handle very well. 3 factions with vast differences and yet balance (for the most part) in PvP.

Trails of Atlantis (ToA) tryed to put a lot more endgame PvE into the game, and failed imo for a long time. The PvE was not optional in terms of suvival in RvR, it flipped the classbalance 180 degrees. In time ToA brought some interesting things to the game, but Mythics failed on that point through my looking glass.

New Frontiers:

Created a much faster acces to the RvR action and gave a good sense of "open world" RvR. Though lots of lag issues appeared. The element of underwater fight was introduced and made for new tactics on the battlefield.

Catacombs:

New interesting classes, however it took some time to adjust the balance/coolness of them. Some interesting PvE, but 99% useless for the most part of the population already beyon end game PvE. But nice new zone for the exploring player.

Labyrinth:

New RvR and PvE zone. (same zone). New races and class. Interesting turn since the new race was the first to be in all realm. DAoC had the nice trademark of have 3 different realm with about 15 different classes each. And eventhough some features were the same, the classes and races were uniqe to the realm. (unlike most games today, excusing this with the balance problem/work)

DAoC was by far the best gaming experience I have ever tried and though Mythic have created WAR, partly drawing from their experience and knowledge in DAoC it doesnt feel like they are quite there yet.

When I left DAoC for the dying, I had a motto whenever someone asked "Is this game good?" or "I have played before, is it worth comming back?"; "The game is as good as it ever have been, however there are too few people (friends and enemies)

Rest and may another game raise to be as great.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I played daoc for a long time and went back to it a couple times. It is one of my favorite games all time. Left the first time because of ToA, then because I didn't have much time. Also population is a bit low now.

The funny thing is, even with low population of a few months ago, I still have more rvr action in the BGs like thid or molvik than in WAR because I'm often waiting on a stupid queue for a scenario and I rarely see action at the keeps. I just find that sad that in a RvR game with a high population, I don't get to RvR all the time like I want. Less than half the time.

• lorndarkenlorndarken Member Posts: 279

well, when i bought the game i wasnt exspecting much other then , i never heard of this game  and i use to play everquest so i might as well give it a try, and what would they offer to me diffrent then other mmos

this would be right around the time the shrouded isle was coming into the game when i started,

holy crap it was fun, people everywhere, pvp /rvr going in all the zones,. people grouping, people throwing out invites to guilds and raids , or more like zergs of people smash each other in the face, the game was pure fun, and my first step towards rvr.

then it happen, daoc decided to change things cause i geuss they didnt want to have to much money coming their way, EA bought out Mythic , and the rest is history, with people leaving the game, classes getting nerfed, items that were epic lost its appeal,  weapons were jokes. repairs for good armor became insane, more classes getting nerfed,  changes to class abillties , the game went away from what the real players wanted when they started listening to the EA owners sons when they complained about crap.

the game was once a masterpeice in terms of rvr. went down the toilet.

you would be lucky to find anyone in thidranki or molvik anymore.

the game died when EA Steped in and ruined it. as for warhammer, im thinking they are trying their best not listening to what EA  has to say on things, but i fear it might get pressured into the same crap as before.

my blademaster , once was able to do his job , became a joke. my vampiir which use to rape many albs and mids, now sucks . just like the game now. i miss the good old days when the game use to be fun.

• PhilGamerPhilGamer Member Posts: 26

I played until I got tired of the server imbalances and the newer classes being uber compared to the other classes.  Warlocks around the time of the classic servers were particularly ridiculous.  Mythic does a lot of things right but I wish they would get it together with some of the choices that they make.  Overall though they're a great company.

Visit Philosophical Gamer, a website featuring old school games, obscure games, indie games, free games, and discussion of the culture of gaming. Come by and un-bored yourself.

Also check out the PhilosophicalGamer Obscure Games Download Page.

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224

I quit when the graphics became dated... Gameplay was great but it just didn't look as good as other single player games I was playing....

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

I played from the launch and played it for about 1 year off and on... it was my first true MMO...  I personaly still think it's a better game then warhammer I think war was a failure but thats just my opinion.  I quit daoc because I got bored with the same ol stuff  like some has said killing mindless NPC for money gets boring and having too do mindless setup repeating quests gets even more boring after the first 20 levels.  I would rather kill mobs over and over then too sit and do gay quests over and over...

• WarOnCrackWarOnCrack Member Posts: 21

I quit once when TOA came.  I quit again after the non TOA servors got too underpopulated.  Does anyone still play DAOC?

Chaos Skullthrone

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I tried DAoC around 2005 or so and just couldnt get into it.......It didnt run all that great on my PC at the time, I had major lag issues, and it jsut killed any chance I had in RVR.......Also I was getting killed in one shot too often and to me that is never fun for anyone.........