Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MORTAL ONLINE, sandbox mmo

shrapnel20shrapnel20 Member Posts: 199

so i've noticed that a lot of long-time Darkfall fans still do not know Mortal Online is in development. i feel obligated to let them know that there is an alternative to Darkfall. i don't want this thread to turn in to Mortal vs. Darkfall because us sandboxers should be sticking together until we get what we want.

anyway, a few of Mortal Online's features:

FFA  PVP

Full-loot

First person view, real-time combat,

Mounted combat

Skill-based system, no levels, you don't start as a class, but can become one later on if you wish to.

Player housing, keep and fortress building; your guild can rule an entire nation.

Legendary monsters that do not respawn.

You can create a god, start a cult, build temples to worship the god, and the god will effect the game world.

Discover new places and name them.

Marine warfare planned to be implemented after release.

www.mortalonline.com

www.mortalonline.com/forums/

Comments

• lotharrlotharr Member Posts: 981

It's looking pretty good indeed.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

The only problem is that we have to wait a bit more to see how development is going. At least all we have waited enough for DF and hope he really will release this year

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • shrapnel20shrapnel20 Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by iZakaroN

The only problem is that we have to wait a bit more to see how development is going.

yeah star vault will be going to be at the leipzig games convention between august 20-24th. we're hoping to see actual combat footage come to the internet around that time. the developers also said that they're preparing a small suprise for us.

Originally posted by shrapnel20
    yeah star vault will be going to be at the leipzig games convention between august 20-24th. we're hoping to see actual combat footage come to the internet around that time. the developers also said that they're preparing a small suprise for us.

I haven't checked the site actively in a while, could you elaborate me on the class system? How does it exactly work?

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526

Woo, MO should rock, and at least release unlike DF!

Originally posted by lotharr

I haven't checked the site actively in a while, could you elaborate me on the class system? How does it exactly work?

well the first thing you need to know is that you never ever have to join a class. it's a totally optional thing. instead of trying to elaborate on it myself, i'd rather post a developer quote.

"I've never tried to avoid the fact that we have classes, rather I have tried to explain the concept of the MO "classes" not being your average "class-based system". In a class-based system you often start out as a class, it gives you certain skills, forbids you to train others, you can't change it during the game, and in general have a great implication on how you "should" play the game. In MO, you start with a skill-set, changeable at any time, you are never forbidden to train any skill as long as you meet the prerequisites, you choose whether or not to apply for a class title, which may or may not affect skills or abilities depending on the class, and that will disappear the moment you do not meet the prerequisites or decide to "exit" the class by training other skills or apply for another class.

So yes, we have classes. However, I hope you can see the difference between our classes (title/work/recognition) and, let's say traditional D&D-classes where the class is really all that you are when it comes to characteristics, abilities and skills."

• HornybeastHornybeast Member Posts: 2

Hey don't be coming into the Darkfall forum talking up some vapour-ware game

This forum is for games that will actually be released!

well the first thing you need to know is that you never ever have to join a class. it's a totally optional thing. instead of trying to elaborate on it myself, i'd rather post a developer quote.

"I've never tried to avoid the fact that we have classes, rather I have tried to explain the concept of the MO "classes" not being your average "class-based system". In a class-based system you often start out as a class, it gives you certain skills, forbids you to train others, you can't change it during the game, and in general have a great implication on how you "should" play the game. In MO, you start with a skill-set, changeable at any time, you are never forbidden to train any skill as long as you meet the prerequisites, you choose whether or not to apply for a class title, which may or may not affect skills or abilities depending on the class, and that will disappear the moment you do not meet the prerequisites or decide to "exit" the class by training other skills or apply for another class.

So yes, we have classes. However, I hope you can see the difference between our classes (title/work/recognition) and, let's say traditional D&D-classes where the class is really all that you are when it comes to characteristics, abilities and skills."

So basically It's like a title which might give boosts to specific skills, but doesn't stop you from training any other skills? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Originally posted by Hornybeast

Hey don't be coming into the Darkfall forum talking up some vapour-ware game
    This forum is for games that will actually be released!

i lol'd.

Originally posted by lotharr

So basically It's like a title which might give boosts to specific skills, but doesn't stop you from training any other skills? Sounds like a good deal to me.

yes but it's a trade-off. you will have to sacrifice some primary skill points to meet the prerequisites for the class and gain the class bonuses, meaning you will have less points to distribute into other skills. it's up to the player whether it's worth it.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Im waiting for Mortal Online.....just because it seems similar to DF. Think most of the DF community does.

But Mortal Online do have classes or levels. Cant remember right now. Thats a big turn of.

Originally posted by daarco

Im waiting for Mortal Online.....just because it seems similar to DF. Think most of the DF community does.
    But Mortal Online do have classes or levels. Cant remember right now. Thats a big turn of.

there are no levels. you never have to join a class. read my earlier post on classes to get a better understanding.

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

if it doesn't have a 3rd person view option i won't be playing.

Originally posted by jackeccs

there is only 3rd person when on mounts. there have been some pretty big debates of fpv only vs. toggleable viewmode in the forums. but in the end i don't think you will be playing.

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

there is only 3rd person when on mounts. there have been some pretty big debates of fpv only vs. toggleable viewmode in the forums. but in the end i don't think you will be playing.

good, if i wanted to play fp i'd give myself a tumor on CS or play Oblivion, even that has toggable POV.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,084

Too early to tell that one yet. But I hate first person too.

good, if i wanted to play fp i'd give myself a tumor on CS or play Oblivion, even that has toggable POV.

the common argument is that in tpv a player will have an advantage over another player in fpv, causing everyone to play in tpv. in tpv, you can see behind you, giving a split second to counter an attack and the ability to see someone pickpocketing you. it's one or the other and the devs have chosen to design the game around fpv.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,604

the common argument is that in tpv a player will have an advantage over another player in fpv, causing everyone to play in tpv. in tpv, you can see behind you, giving a split second to counter an attack and the ability to see someone pickpocketing you. it's one or the other and the devs have chosen to design the game around fpv.

Well, I have to say this one feature might be the deal breaker for me.  Maybe not...we'll see how it shapes up.  Bet its not going to be a while so nothing to be concerned about today.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XxeonXxeon Member Posts: 559

this is darkfall forum not mortal online...

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

first person view makes sense, its more realistic for a sandboxy alternative reality game, instead of a craptastic wow-like arcade 3rd person view game.. After all you dont have eyes behind your head do you..

Earthrise might also be a good alternative for DF and/or MO if you dont mind scifi

Originally posted by Xxeon

this is darkfall forum not mortal online...

so? people talk about darkfall in the mortal online forums. and when mmorpg decides to make a mortal online forum on this site i can post there instead.

all they need is 5 screenshots XD they dont even have 1

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

They just announced this game. It won't be released for a couple of years at least.  As of now its just another small company making a lot of promises. Where have I heard that before?

Originally posted by Xxeon

all they need is 5 screenshots XD they dont even have 1

the game was just announced in april. they'll have their screenshots soon enough.

thats fine

they just need 5 to get on mmorpg.com forums..