Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about starting up...

sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

I'm thinking about giving this a try, can anyone tell me a good server with pvp going on most of the time? or atleast at peak hours? thanks :)

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

Comments

• CotswoldCotswold Member Posts: 70

Any of the "classic" servers are a safe bet.  They are all 3 clustered so they all share the same zones (just not housing).

Just a small tip for a 1st timer, don't judge the game by your first few RvR runs.  Like any game that has been around for a while you will notice the hardcore players have zero mercy.  Try to find a group to run with in the battelgrounds and you'll be hooked after that 1st 8 vs. 8 fight! 

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Hehe, one more question,. How much can I get all the expansions + the game for? and do I really need the expansions to have fun?

• nytemarehnytemareh Member UncommonPosts: 156

i believe it's like 29 dollars for darkness rising and labyrinth together.  there is a bit of content there so

i would say yeah buy them.  do you need them to have fun no.  however, there are champion levels as

well as a mythical item slot.  both of which are somewhat of a necessary evil.  not to mention game

looks much different with the expansions.

eh I was hoping not to spend $49 to play to the fullest of an old game >_<, thats $20 for the Original and $29 for the expansions right?

• nytemarehnytemareh Member UncommonPosts: 156

yeah you get up to catacombs free with trial.  darkness rising and labyrinth are the expansions

after catacombs. last i looked was 29.99 for both together.  20.00 for indvidually

My advice would be not to get the expansions till after level 30.  But yea, they are almost needed later in the game.  Also, I think starting now is a good idea if you grow to like the game (and you will of course).  The reason i say this is because you will have ample time to learn the game and get some RvR skill before the "Origins" server comes out which will have a very high population from day one.  I just read on another forum that there is an entire guild returning from WoW when Origins is released... I'm sure this will be just one of many large groups coming back.

Hm how much will I be missing exactly? Alot? Or just not enough to worry about?

EDIT: Hm, which expansions will be included on Origins?

Origins will not include either of the expansions as far as the zones go.  They have not really released a lot of info on how they will be implementing a lot of the "stuff", details are slowly coming out but honestly I do not know if anything on those expansions will be implemented on Origins.

As far as what you will be missing out on... not much at all under level 30.  I would say use your free trial time to the fullest and see if you will really be hooked.  If you play multiple toons/classes and/or in diff. realms to get a feel for the entire game you won't get near lvl 30 for a while which will give you plenty of time to see if you want to order the expansions.  And yes, if you are going to buy them, buy them bundled and save a few $.

Also, you really wont find a more helpful group of players than DAoC.  Anytime someone says "I'm new and this is my 1st char." people come out of the woodwork to help out.  The reason for this is simple, more players = more fun!

I do have one real concern which hasn't been adressed, will I have fun at 50 with no expansions? :P If not, I may just wait till they can bundle the subscription with WARs to play it

I can't really answer that one, here is why.  I bought the expansions on day one AND I burned myself out on RvR and haven't really done any PvP in a while so I cannot say what the state of the game is for players without the expansions.  I can say that several months ago there were many players (some in my guild) who did not have either expansions and RvR'ed nightly.  You will not be a "gimp" without the expansions, but they will help for sure.

One thing to think about is the highest pop. battelground is the level 24 (Thidranki).  You gain no bonuses from the expansions at that level but can get a very good idea what the whole "RvR experience" is like.

Guess I can give it a try and see! If it's not my cup of tea after a month, I can always put it away for another time when I can buy the expansions and try again :)

Good Luck & I hope ya love it!  I'd offer to help you get started, but I won't be playing for a few weeks... stupid out of town work and stuck with this stupid laptop... 

Wow I'm lucky, found the Epic Edition for $13. Think I will enjoy this :)

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Here's what you do:

Link

See if you can find that anywhere in the stores.  That one there on Amazon.com goes for 20 bux and comes with all the expansions minus all the patches they've released since the expansions came out.  So basically you can get everything for $20 and save yourself some headache as well as getting 30 days of free play as is standard with the rest of the mmo's out there.

I suggest you go to EBGames or some such and just look around.  Also try WalMart since I've seen them stock it and they were one of the few who still had it.  Other then that I wish you luck and hope you find what you're looking for.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by sanders01

Wow I'm lucky, found the Epic Edition for $13. Think I will enjoy this :)

Or you can beat me to the punch and just do it yourself....

Next time wait till I post that way my "good intentions" don't go to waste

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

Hehe my bad, and btw, it's cheaper to buy game serials than the game in the box itself, and most fo the time it's not a scam :)

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

DAoC seems the best RvR game out here... maybe I sould test it.

Downloading trial...