Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kind of confused about the game, anyone want to clear up a few things?

barren216barren216 Member Posts: 52

Ok...I'm back on the hunt for a new exciting game...

I'm looking at GW, but i'm confused on how the game goes, the campaigns and such...it's a very new kind of MMO to me. I havent bought one yet so I'm not sure what to do. Or what makes each campaign different, or better or easier than the other. You can play the third before you play the 1st? makes no sense to me or am I missing something???

Comments

• BaldavierBaldavier Member UncommonPosts: 10

Each one has a different storyline but there are features I would have wanted in the original that you can only get in others. - So if i go and buy the original tomorrow, I can create an account and start playing in ye olde ascalon.. (ahh the memories). Then I could travel through the land of Tyria and complete the game. If however, I wanted to, I could buy Prophicies and factions. In this case, when I got half way through the game, to a place in Kryta called Lions Arch (wow my trivia is still so good) I could pause my adventures in Tyria and hop on over to Keineng City...  ANYHOO, from there I could do the other storyline and communicate with people from that version and the Prophicies.. and hop to any of the places in either game any time I wanted. (but not to the places in Nightfall)

Hokay, considering that the game community may be dwindling (havent read that thread yet) I would suggest Nightfall would be the best because It allows the use of Heroes, which may help you through some bits of the Prophicies campaign. Although I got through most of it with just the help of the henchmen (didn't make friends till I got to Droks).

uh ... ok I just disproved my point, but bear with me, i'm sure I'll find another...

Well as a general comment Prophicies and Nightfall are more RP based and Factions is more PVP based. As much as I enjoyed them all, I think prophicies and Nightfall were more fun.

Anyway that wasn't much of a helpful comment either was it..

The game kept me glued to my chair for 2million seconds (if that's any credit to it) [which it should be] {because I haven't been ground to a game for anything near that much since I left} |i'm waiting for my friends to give in and start playing again, otherwise i'd probably still be glued|

uh, ok this is getting silly.

Oh i got it!

No grinding unless you want to get an uber weapon but even then you could buy it but I always found grinding in GW different in other games because you were in a party.. oh I did do a bit of solo grinding but that doesn't really count coz it was for fun to get stuff like ecto which i just stored .. untill I wanted new shiney armour.. which i didn't like as much as my sentimental rags.. so the shiney stuff is in storage...

um

ask more specific stuff .. or wait till someone else writes..

I'm not a very good writer.. or convincer..

• BodyBuilderBodyBuilder Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by barren216

Ok...I'm back on the hunt for a new exciting game...

I'm looking at GW, but i'm confused on how the game goes, the campaigns and such...it's a very new kind of MMO to me. I havent bought one yet so I'm not sure what to do. Or what makes each campaign different, or better or easier than the other. You can play the third before you play the 1st? makes no sense to me or am I missing something???

Howdy.

I had three account and probably put well over 3,000 hours in the game before I said enough.

As stated above, the community is lacking, but it will be there when Guild Wars 2 arrives.  Also if you enjoy a fast paced game and mainly focused around very TEAM and very well balanced PvP, this is a game for you. 

You have several 100 skills to play with, but can only use 8 skill at any single time... so sometimes one or two skills can make worlds of difference in PvE or PvP. 

Also since the introduction of HEROS, consider grouping gone.  Also the game really shines in cities, but once you leave the city, it's only you and the NPCs.  The game is aging, but the PvP is still some of the best!  It's good if you want to put 15 minutes in, or 15 hours.

I would first figure what you want to do, PvE or PvP, since you can buy the PvP version with all the skills unlocked, or grind the PvE and get the skills yourself.  I would also take a peek at their website and see how things are going. 

I would suggest finding a very GOOD guild (Game isn't named GUILD Wars for nothing) and having them help...  right now the game's all about getting titles and gold really isn't worth it because gold sellers and buyers have killed the economy. 

Originally posted by BodyBuilder

I would suggest finding a very GOOD guild (Game isn't named GUILD Wars for nothing) and having them help...  right now the game's all about getting titles and gold really isn't worth it because gold sellers and buyers have killed the economy. 

I resent that the game is all about getting titles! Well.. maybe resent is too harsh but, the game can be about any of the many things that are possible.. Admitedly there was a time when I found myself playing just to get the next title but we don't know how much of a difference it will make in GW2 and just like any other game, it should be about having fun.. claiming its about getting titles sounds too much like grinding to me.. ..

{that's what u get for arguing with a body builder but it was worth it..}

Secondly, the gold sellers didn't ruin the economy.. The devs did, intentionally; to make it more accessable for new players and to make it less of a chore (which it seemed like after doing it for 5 characters) to get something like glowing hands or black armour..

ce

*sigh* it's been a long day at the office.. :P

Originally posted by Baldavier

I would suggest finding a very GOOD guild (Game isn't named GUILD Wars for nothing) and having them help...  right now the game's all about getting titles and gold really isn't worth it because gold sellers and buyers have killed the economy. 

I resent that the game is all about getting titles! Well.. maybe resent is too harsh but, the game can be about any of the many things that are possible.. Admitedly there was a time when I found myself playing just to get the next title but we don't know how much of a difference it will make in GW2 and just like any other game, it should be about having fun.. claiming its about getting titles sounds too much like grinding to me.. ..

{that's what u get for arguing with a body builder but it was worth it..}

Secondly, the gold sellers didn't ruin the economy.. The devs did, intentionally; to make it more accessable for new players and to make it less of a chore (which it seemed like after doing it for 5 characters) to get something like glowing hands or black armour..

ce

*sigh* it's been a long day at the office.. :P

Some solid points there, but after a while, what else is there to do when you get max gold, PvP your brains out in HoH and just did every (with every class)?  Get titles... that's about it.

Guild Wars was my crack... and to play Guild Wars 2 I've read that you'll need a GW account...  is this something I want to do (again?), not sure. 

I'll admit too that I've bought gold for GW.  It was sad, but I had money and just didn't want to care (This was my 3rd account by the way) to do the work.  I ran to the end, bought max armor and just rocked the low level PvP area. :)

I remember all the neat stuff... but Guild Wars has turned into a padded room with nerf bats.  It's been nicked named "Nerf Wars" by a lot.

I just call em how I see em. 

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

Each campaing has a different story, style weapons and 2 classes that are unique to the two addons campaigns.

If you plan to buy the game i's say, get the nightfall campaign and the eye of the north add on.

Nightfall and eye of the north give you heroes wich make soloing quests/ mission.

I advise you to go on the guild wars guru forumùs and look for a guild there, there are big pve alliances that still do missions quests...

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• AzmariaAzmaria Member Posts: 22

I've been playing Guild Wars since just after launch, and I'm still playing it.  Guess that says something, because I can't and won't stick with a crappy game for 3 months. 

The PvE content is decent - the storys are kinda fun to play through...once.  However, once you've done the campaigns and done all the dungeons in Eye of the North a time or two, you start to get really bored with it.  Course, helping friends is a different matter, it can be enjoyable to revisit parts of the games to help others trhough. 

However, once you do get mind-numbingly bored of PvE, you will most likely have the skills to start in on PvP if you haven't already.  This is where Guild Wars shines.  With only 8 skills available to you at any one time, and the effectiveness of those skills based on how you've distributed your attribute point (which are free to redistribute in towns) rather than weapons, it makes PvP actually *gasp* skill based!  If you can't make a build, chances are you're gonna lose.  Surprise!  However, once you hit a certain point of skill, you can take what would look like a fairly worthless bar to many and make it kick some ass.  This essentially is the difference between noobs and pros in GW. 

Different arenas that may catch your eye:

Random Arenas: Groups of 4 people randomly grouped without thought to character classes.  Most people go in here with builds more centered around being able to do good things by themselves...though some go in with a more team mentality.

Team Arenas: Groups of 4 people put together before the match starts.  This arena tends to have gimmick builds dominating it more than anything else.

Heroes Ascent: Teams of 8 assembled before the match that then run a gauntlet of other teams in various situations.  High rewards for winning through to the Hall of Heroes and holding it, but very difficult to do.  Some guild devote themselves to being ridiculously good here.  Tendencies are high damage, high gimmick builds.

Guild vs Guild: Considered by many the pinnacle of GW PvP.  Teams of 8 assembled before a match, 4 of those people must be in the same guild.  Fight on the Guild Halls that each guild has purchased for themselves.  Elements involved are a stationary flag stand that gives morale (health, energy and skill recharge) boosts if a team can hold it for 2 minutes, NPCs guarding the base, resurrection in base every 2 minutes (on the game clock) for fallen players, and the final objective of killing the Guild Lord who is at the center of the base.  Typically the most tactical of all the PvP.

The player base has gone down significantly, but there are still a decent amount of people to play with or against.

• buden-ninjabuden-ninja Member UncommonPosts: 53

I played everything in GW but retired. It was a great game but I just got tired of grinding out titles. I blame myself for having so many alts - one of each class. But I played the game for 2 years, which is way longer than any other game I have played. Prophecies was my favourite. I was in a good guild, so I never had a problem finding a group. That would be important for you to enjoy the game. No other game - that I have played anyway - has the same amount of action as GW does. I am going to get GW2 as soon as it comes out for sure. I am sure you can find the games cheap, so just try them out.

• redOrcredOrc Member Posts: 100

Im playing for almost 3 years.

Last year has been exlusivly Guild Vs Guild.

No other computer game can give you such a rush of adrenaline and such a fealing of accomplishment, when you win a good fight with a peer guild.

I couldn't agree more.

Or making silly classes... Me/Mo... echo with arcane echo with mending...  :) 

Sorted then. You will buy the game(s).

• PepsipwnzgodPepsipwnzgod Member Posts: 203

I couldn't agree more.
    Or making silly classes... Me/Mo... echo with arcane echo with mending...  :) 

me/mo woh AE spammers are the most annoyingly useless classes ever devised by someone on wiki

-----------------------------
    IVE PLAYED WOW AND LIKED IT SO IM A FANBOI PLZ FLAME MY THREADS CUZ I MIGHT MENTION WOW