Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game for me?

ghostofspudsghostofspuds Member Posts: 47

Alright ive been trolling the forums for a while today looking at a few things and trying to figure out what MMO is for me. My search has been fruitful and i have been looking at EVE for a while but i have a few questions.

1.) Can i play this game at a casual pace and still enjoy much of the content it has to offer?

2.) I have heard numerous times that this game can be a little bit much to handle in the PvP arena once you decide to risk it. I enjoy PvP once in a while but only at a minor level. Is this game for me on this level?

3.) Many People and Posts have told me that this game is truely the richest in depth and especially so with crafting in the economy. Is this something i can jump into or is it gonna take me months of playing and working at it?

Now i know this mostly pertains to time investment and the whole can a casual gamer enjoy this quandry, but being a worker and a full time student i need something that i can manage around my schedule without having to be thinking about it all the time.

Thanks so much for any help that you are willing to provide. I am also interested in hearing any general knowledge of the game and good solid reasons for joining.

Comments

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117
    Originally posted by ghostofspuds

Alright ive been trolling the forums for a while today looking at a few things and trying to figure out what MMO is for me. My search has been fruitful and i have been looking at EVE for a while but i have a few questions.
    1.) Can i play this game at a casual pace and still enjoy much of the content it has to offer?
    2.) I have heard numerous times that this game can be a little bit much to handle in the PvP arena once you decide to risk it. I enjoy PvP once in a while but only at a minor level. Is this game for me on this level?
    3.) Many People and Posts have told me that this game is truely the richest in depth and especially so with crafting in the economy. Is this something i can jump into or is it gonna take me months of playing and working at it?
    Now i know this mostly pertains to time investment and the whole can a casual gamer enjoy this quandry, but being a worker and a full time student i need something that i can manage around my schedule without having to be thinking about it all the time.
    Thanks so much for any help that you are willing to provide. I am also interested in hearing any general knowledge of the game and good solid reasons for joining.

1. Yes. There are no levels. Instead, you have skills that level on their own. Some can take weeks to train, but they train while you're offline, so you don't even need to be playing to advance.

2. EVE is very PvP centric, and it's brutal. When you die you lose your ship and everything you had on it, but if you bought insurance you get money back for the ship so it's not a total loss. If your escape pod gets destroyed and you didn't buy insurance, you lose skills. It's not that bad early in the game, though.

Not a lot of PvE stuff though. It's only really PvP and mining.

3. Months. The first 2 or 3 are slow, but after that the game picks up. You don't need to play that much a day, though.

• fishy418fishy418 Member Posts: 5

Hi, I though been an EVE player for like 3 years now i'll post my thoughts for you.

1. I would say yes you can play at a casual pace and enjoy most of what everyone else does. the real time skill system helps with this, Isk (game money) is the only thing you can get more of if your on more, but if you want to carebare most of the time then it shouldn't be a problem. join a player corp in highsec with similiar interests would be the best way to go.

2. With pvping it is risky and can cost you but the great thing about EVE is that new players generally dont risk as much and can still be very useful in small gangs. I been pvping for nearly 2 years, never looked back even though for my first year I only carbaredmission ran in high sec avoiding all pvp.

3. It definatly can be an overwhelming game especially if you try it by yourself. though i would say if you take the trial by the time the 14days is up you should have an idea of how complex and interesting it can be. though it can still take months more to fully understand just some aspects of the game. This is what i love about it, others may say this is why the game is boring.

Generally these days i generally play about 3 days during the week only about 2 hours each day, and sometimes a lot on the weekends or sometimes don't touch it on the weekend.

hope this was useful if you want any more info you can ask again or ingame my char is fishy418. happy to help answer anymore questions. i would definately recommend giving the trial a go and work it out from there.

• ghostofspudsghostofspuds Member Posts: 47

Thanks Fishy! You were very helpful... I am currently debating between Vanguard and EVE, quite a dichotomy i know, i plan on testing eve when i get my new rig sometime next week. I have one more question if you ever get to answering it and that is, are the missions something that can carry me through most of the game and is the economy as interesting as i have heard?

• JeratanJeratan Member Posts: 43

I think Fishy summed it up well.

Missions are but one aspect of the game.  Some people only do missions but IMO they are missing a very large aspect of the game.  Missions range everywhere from mining and courier missions to all out kill missions.  The difficulty range is quite large and not that many people have even experienced level 5 missions.

The economy of eve is by far the most interesting I've ever seen in an MMO and I don't think it will be matched anytime soon.

My advice is to try both out but don't try to do everything alone in Eve.  It's very much a social game.

Side note... IMO there is a very good reason why you can't download a trial of Vanguard;  It's awful!  By the time you realise it Sony's suckered you out of $50.  You might like it.  Who knows, it's all about personal preference in the end.

• fishy418fishy418 Member Posts: 5

No problem, i don't quite know what you mean by that? will missions be enough to keep you interested in the game as a whole? I don't think so, i don't mind missions and that was basically all i did for my first year of eve i didn't mind but obviously it does get boring, but they can be fun to start with and i had a bit of a goal just to see what i could do solo trying my different setups during missions.

Otherwise if you mean are mission enough to earn you enough isk to pvp or just play around, easily. once you get to lvl4s you can earn pretty decent isk, it won't get you all the fancy and expensive faction stuff without weeks of missions but will be enough to fit t2 cruisers and even bs's with a couple of hours a week on missions.

now the economy is very diverse and can be interesting if your into that kind of thing, at one point i did earn a decent amount of isk just buying items people didn't use a turn them to minerals and selling again. also did a bit of trading, buying from Jita (main trading hub) and flying to a minor hub and selling for more. it was interesting to see what i could sell and is very dynamic. i found i just prefer blowing up all those modules and ships

• ghostofspudsghostofspuds Member Posts: 47

This game sounds more intruiging to me every time i read posts or get responses here... I will definentally be downloading the trial coming up here, thanks again for all the help  

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Yes you can....but don't expect to "rush" through it. Take your time and you will enjoy more.
    The new expansion allows players to get into PvP extremely fast. Now, does that mean you will be good at? Depends. Join a good Corp (ie Clan/Kin) that specalizes in helping you in your chosen path. If you want to PvP there are many Corps that help train PvP to new players.
    You can jump in at any time...start...late...makes no difference. But, as with life, don't expect to be the "mega" crafter on day one. Day twenty...maybe...lol.
    Being that EVE is my "second" MMO that I play I will say you can put in as much or as little time as you like. I really think the skill training methods in EVE actually are catered more toward the player that has little time to invest since you don't have to be in game to actually advance.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

Thanks Fishy! You were very helpful... I am currently debating between Vanguard and EVE, quite a dichotomy i know, i plan on testing eve when i get my new rig sometime next week. I have one more question if you ever get to answering it and that is, are the missions something that can carry me through most of the game and is the economy as interesting as i have heard?

As someone who has invested a lot of time into Vanguard and a moderate amount of time into EVE, I believe that EVE is far more casual friendly in time commitment terms (even though it is more hardcore in terms of learning curve and depth of gameplay). Both are great games, but from what you've posted in this thread i think EVE will suit you more. Either way gl with your choice

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

Its been nearly a year since I quit Eve, so my Eve jargon is a little rusty.

1.  All training of skills is in real time.  You can speed up training by training learning type skills first and wearing implants that speed up training.  The implants can be lost if you are killed in pvp after your ship is destroyed.  How much you play has no effect on the rate of training.I would say that this would suit the casual player more unless they mostly pvp.

• When you lose in pvp, you lose your ship and all its components.  This is not a real problem as long as you fly a cheap ship you can afford to lose.  You can insure your ship, but this does not really cover the modules you put in it.  You are fairly safe in the high security areas.   Attacking someone in  high security zones and killing them can happen, but it is a suicide mission as the NPC's will quickly kill the attacker.  You can also be suckered into battle in high security, so that someone can kill you without retaliation from the NPC's.  Some players make a career of suckering new players.
    • You can PvE by running missions in high security areas.  The missions have different tiers of dificulty.  Each tier is designed for a particular size ship (frigate, then cruiser, then battle cruiser then battle ship).  I am not a casual player.  I found that the training in real time was too slow when I got to tier 4 missions.  At that stage I was only logging in to update my training.   For me paying a subscription only so I could continue to train a skill in real time was not worth it.
    • For PvE, you can train crafting skills or become a miner.  However, for miners, the best resources are only in low security (pvp) areas.

3.  Because a ship and almost all its components are destroyed in battle, there is constant demand for replacement of ship hulls and ship components.    That is, there is a good market for crafters.

On one account you can only train one toon at a time.  You can chose to train in any of skills for combat, ship handling, resource gathering or crafting.  You can only train one skill at a time, but can change to a different skill without losing progress in a skill. So you really need to prioritise what skills you train first. This will vary depending on whether you want to be a miner, combat pilot, crafter, trader, mission runner.

For PvE, Eve is more suited to casual players because your progress through the PvE content will not put you against content that  exceeds your trained skills.

• happytklzhappytklz Member Posts: 128

Eve in my opinion, not shared by its devotees, who I am glad find great enjoyment in the game:

Boring graphics, but then I suppose that is realistic, as space is big and empty.

Lots of bean counting, relentless focus on amassing money, some serious grinding in this area.

SOME pretty nasty players, who are entrenched in the game's power structure, not just random wandering gankers as in other MMO's with PvP.  MANY others who are quite helpful in figuring out the early stages of the game, so the community is a mixed bag.

Almost no enjoyment possible for a PvE'er.

A curious culture of corporate brutality which may be inherent to the concept, and which I personally find unattractive, and too much like real-life business... plus weapons. 

Generally, for me, has none of the romance and awe I associate with the best sci-fi, still waiting for a game which captures this, rather than being either A: huge tedious srategy game, or B: repetitive FPS-ish game.  I get that for serious Eve-ers, the community IS the story, and that's a cool thing in its own way... but I actually like the mix of self-directed adventure and roleplay with written content found in a few MMO's which shall remain nameless.  Sci-fi is such a huge and diverse genre, whose effective translation to games seems elusive.

• xxlilDevilxxxxlilDevilxx Member UncommonPosts: 245

^---you also forgot the big speadsheet design in the combat lol

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485
    Originally posted by xxlilDevilxx

^---you also forgot the big speadsheet design in the combat lol

For better or worse, also realistic.

Personally, I think the combat aids are great!

• dterrydterry Member Posts: 449

Isn't there still a two week free trial you can download? If so, hop on and see for yourself if you like the game.

• JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by happytklz

Eve in my opinion, not shared by its devotees, who I am glad find great enjoyment in the game:
    Boring graphics, but then I suppose that is realistic, as space is big and empty.
    Lots of bean counting, relentless focus on amassing money, some serious grinding in this area.
    SOME pretty nasty players, who are entrenched in the game's power structure, not just random wandering gankers as in other MMO's with PvP.  MANY others who are quite helpful in figuring out the early stages of the game, so the community is a mixed bag.
    A curious culture of corporate brutality which may be inherent to the concept, and which I personally find unattractive, and too much like real-life business... plus weapons. 
    Generally, for me, has none of the romance and awe I associate with the best sci-fi, still waiting for a game which captures this, rather than being either A: huge tedious srategy game, or B: repetitive FPS-ish game.  I get that for serious Eve-ers, the community IS the story, and that's a cool thing in its own way... but I actually like the mix of self-directed adventure and roleplay with written content found in a few MMO's which shall remain nameless.  Sci-fi is such a huge and diverse genre, whose effective translation to games seems elusive.

Grind : only for people who dont have the creativity.

PVE : no different from any other game. Pretty boring imo and having such a great PvP/economy in Eve makes the PvE more acceptable.

Content : there is plenty of backstory, written content and events created by the devs. Its a big universe, perhaps your just in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Eve can't be both like other games and totally unlike it.  And it isn't.  The concept of opportunity cost (which must surely be familiar to those into the corporate accumulation aspect of Eve) applies here: there is the ability of players to make their own world through their alliances and competition and PvP, obviously a strength of Eve; on the other hand allowing the room for this necessarily diminishes the written story-telling aspect found in games like Lotro.   PvE is boring to most Eve-ers, so the lack of interesting PvE is really a benefit to them.  To many of us it is the whole fun of MMO's.  PvP can be fun and collegial, but it can also be just playground pecking order bullying.  And sorry, but to say that the crafting in Eve is really fun is just weird.  I guess it is for you, but it's like watching paint dry for most people. 

I think it is fair to say that Eve-ers are generally more hardcore about long-term PvP than most MMO players, so the game matches their desires perfectly.  I think it's also fair to say that in order to deliver this effectively in a single persistent server, much of what most players see as fun in MMO's is missing -diverse and lushly pleasing environments; a sense of surprise and humor in questing; NPC's with quirky or threatening character; the ability to step in to the game at different levels of depth with different avatars... scalability of involvement.  It's not necessary to prove that Eve is all things to all people, a perfect game with everything, I never understand this impulse in its most ardent defenders.

Peace to all

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

People commentign eve's graphics will always make me laugh, what do you expect, this isnt wow. You cant have ships that look like christmas trees. And if you've ever ben in a battle with a titan and you computer didnt melt you wouldnt be saying that.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

You think the graphics in Eve are wonderfuil, I'm happy for you.  They are dry, bland, uninteresting, empty, cold, IN MY OPINION.  No one said they should look like a christmas tree or like Wow, that's in your head.  But take a look at the NASA site, and you can quickly see that there is beauty and intensity in space that is not captured by Eve.  I acknowledge with no difficulty that Eve isn't really ABOUT graphics.  That's fine.  But again you exhibit the rexlexive tendency I noted in my second post:  there can not be anything missing from Eve, and anyone who thinks there is anything missing is ignorant or unintelligent or lazy or uncreative.  I go out of my way to note the positives, and you guys can't accept that tehre is any other side to it, even a subjective opinion that doesn't happen to agree with yours.  Hence the general feeling most people get about Eve's community, hence the steady but low population.  Enjoy it, I'm glad it works for you.

• ElvithElvith Member Posts: 11

1. Eve's skill system is real time based, so providing you can log on to change a skill now and again you will progress without ever leaving the station. However to buy toys you need to log in and run missions/ mine etc and earn isk. An evenings steady play can net you a couple of million isk if your lucky which is enough to keep you in ships and ammo to start with.

2. The most important thing to know about Eve PVP is that it is Non-consensual. You don't need to be flagged or do anything other then be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  As others have pointed out don't invest your precious money in anything you can't afford to lose. I work on a 10% system, I don't fly or use implants worth more then 10% of my overall worth. That way WHEN you lose your rig you are not screaming blue murder because your broke...oh and stay the hell out of low sec till you're confident you know what your getting into.

3. You can jump in and learn the basics in a few days. It will take you months and years to master it.

Eve is not for everybody, its a sandbox full of toys and big kids who don't like to share.

(Going to point out right off that I have only been playing EVE for about 8 months. I have played twice on trail accounts up until December of 2007 at which time I subbed up to EVE. I also play a couple of other MMO's which I enjoy. So, you may wish to pidgeon hole me into the EVE devotee landscape but I would rather say I am a devotee of computer online gameplay.)
    Interesting opinion but have you played since the Premium Graphics update? I was not impressed with the graphic prior to this either but changed my mind once they launched the update.
    Or, you can have the bean counting of relentless focus on amassing XP. Not sure you are aware of how EVE works or are willing to understand that all games (MMO's) need to have XP to work.
    I haven't seen an MMO that isn't exactly like this. Name one if you can. I have been involved in at least 6 to 8 and all have exactly the same thing...people acting like people can act. It is no better nor worse in EVE then in {insert MMO name here}.
    Since I PvE more in any MMO then I PvP I would say EVE has been much MORE enjoyable then many. That is not to say that everyone will like PvE in EVE just that it can be. The above statement must be from someone that hasn't experienced much PvE in the first place. Nice thing about EVE is that you can enjoy both PvE and PvP without stepping on eithers toes as in many other MMO's.
    Obviously not a fan of much of life I guess? Or, have no clue as to how fiction works? Or, could we ask are you actually against brutality in MMO's? Really, this statement above is oximoronic.
    Whatever floats you boat. You don't have to play EVE. But, I have to ask, why trash talk someone else's game? I play several MMO's and enjoy several different styles of gameplay. It isn't that I would trash one just because I prefer another. I love content. I also love "sandbox". EVE to me has a good mix. It can be intense when needed and laid back when needed.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Eve can't be both like other games and totally unlike it.  And it isn't.  The concept of opportunity cost (which must surely be familiar to those into the corporate accumulation aspect of Eve) applies here: there is the ability of players to make their own world through their alliances and competition and PvP, obviously a strength of Eve; on the other hand allowing the room for this necessarily diminishes the written story-telling aspect found in games like Lotro.   PvE is boring to most Eve-ers, so the lack of interesting PvE is really a benefit to them.  To many of us it is the whole fun of MMO's.  PvP can be fun and collegial, but it can also be just playground pecking order bullying.  And sorry, but to say that the crafting in Eve is really fun is just weird.  I guess it is for you, but it's like watching paint dry for most people. 
    I think it is fair to say that Eve-ers are generally more hardcore about long-term PvP than most MMO players, so the game matches their desires perfectly.  I think it's also fair to say that in order to deliver this effectively in a single persistent server, much of what most players see as fun in MMO's is missing -diverse and lushly pleasing environments; a sense of surprise and humor in questing; NPC's with quirky or threatening character; the ability to step in to the game at different levels of depth with different avatars... scalability of involvement.  It's not necessary to prove that Eve is all things to all people, a perfect game with everything, I never understand this impulse in its most ardent defenders.
    Peace to all

if all that is true; then, why do most of the eve populace live in high sec?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Because they don't enjoy being ganked while they are AFK.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by baff

Because they don't enjoy being ganked while they are AFK.

you really DON'T get points for not understanding the question.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Because like in life, most people would rather commute to work.