Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disposable credit cards?

VioletteViolette Member UncommonPosts: 119

I heard a safer way to pay for stuff online is by using cards you buy at a place like, umm Target?? . You put a certain amount of cash into it and when you're done, throw it away or refill it again. Anyone know much about this, or where I can get one? Thanks!

Comments

• jinbobjinbob Member Posts: 73

Yea there pretty cool can be used pretty much like a credit card, alot of our change converters have them at like grocery stores. Ive also seen them at some cash registers at wall mart i think.

• MalallMalall Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Violette

I heard a safer way to pay for stuff online is by using cards you buy at a place like, umm Target?? . You put a certain amount of cash into it and when you're done, throw it away or refill it again. Anyone know much about this, or where I can get one? Thanks!

Yes, they have been around for a while now.

Pre-Payed Credit Cards. You fill the card up and use as a normal CC but you still need to pay a charge to Master Card/Visa each month for the privilege.

www.compareprepaid.co.uk/

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

I have no experience with these pre-paid credit cards, but I do remember a few months back when several companies refused to honor gift cards due to profits losses from the economic recession. I would tread carefully with anything pre-paid.

• TykeroTykero Member Posts: 349

Honestly, if you want to use plastic, debit is the best way to go in nearly every situation.

-

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Originally posted by Tykero
    Honestly, if you want to use plastic, debit is the best way to go in nearly every situation.

That MIGHT be true, but take a few things into consideration, if, say for some reason, you're pre-paid credit card gets stolen, there's only a set amount of money on that credit card. But if someone steals your debit card, they have access to ALL the money you have on your bank account, which I'm sure would be more than you would put on these pre-paid credit cards.

Another thing to take notice of, believe it or not, there are some places that, for some reason do not take debit cards, bank cards, or even combination credit/debit cards. They have to be strictly credit card. I know because I work for a company that does that, and while the number of companies that don't take debit is small, I wouldn't be surprised to see this tendency grow. Does it stink? of course it does, I personally think it's ridiculous, but hey, I'm not the owner of the company, so I can't make the changes. Either way, I don't like either debit or credit card, I'm an old fashioned old hoagie in the body of a 26 year old, I still do checks and cash, no plastic for me thank you.

• CeddCedd Member Posts: 67

I heard a safer way to pay for stuff online is by using cards you buy at a place like, umm Target?? . You put a certain amount of cash into it and when you're done, throw it away or refill it again. Anyone know much about this, or where I can get one? Thanks

While using these prepaid cards are "nifty", there is a better solution for your online shopping/business needs. You are not obligated to have only one bank account. And (here in the USA anyway) alot of banks offer free checking accounts with no balance, to a min $25 balance requirement. Presto you have a secure card to take online with you inwhich you only need to add enough money to cover internet expenses. To top it off most of these free accounts allow you to check your transactions online to spot fraud. This is the consumers best friend with dealing with online transactions as it keeps the family's bank account safe by not being online in the first place.

Cedd

• VioletteViolette Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by Cedd

I heard a safer way to pay for stuff online is by using cards you buy at a place like, umm Target?? . You put a certain amount of cash into it and when you're done, throw it away or refill it again. Anyone know much about this, or where I can get one? Thanks

While using these prepaid cards are "nifty", there is a better solution for your online shopping/business needs. You are not obligated to have only one bank account. And (here in the USA anyway) alot of banks offer free checking accounts with no balance, to a min $25 balance requirement. Presto you have a secure card to take online with you inwhich you only need to add enough money to cover internet expenses. To top it off most of these free accounts allow you to check your transactions online to spot fraud. This is the consumers best friend with dealing with online transactions as it keeps the family's bank account safe by not being online in the first place.

Cedd

The best answer and the one I might just go with. Thanks Cedd :)