Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lineage 3

WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875

Hi all

Lineage 3 was anounced a long time ago, and it apeared on NCSoft´s IR report.It was suposed to comme out in 2009.

The latests Reports dont talk about L3.

Does NCSoft gave up on L3?Or they will guive it another name?

L3 will take many players from L2, i hope they changed the name

Thx for your time

Comments

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

What about Aion?

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

According to an NCSoft interview 1 year ago, they have temporarily suspended the L3 development and assigned the L3 development team to help finish Aion faster. L3 development will resume when Aion is released.

• laurius123laurius123 Member Posts: 27

In 2007 some NCsoft employees who worked with lineage 3 stole it code and coped to someone. So lineage 3 was stopped and had lost much money. But this year new Lineage 3 team was collected and they started to work. NCsoft said what Lineage 3 will be announced in 2011 to the public. 

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Yeah L3 is sort of dead in the water right now. Since those jokers stole the code, NCSoft has put it on hold. I imagine once Aion launches (and no Aion is not part of the Lineage fanchise) they will get back on it. I believe they need to start from scratch.

• Colt1945Colt1945 Member Posts: 8

What is the point of releasing Lineage 3? They could easily just keep updating Lineage 2.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672
    Originally posted by Colt1945

What is the point of releasing Lineage 3? They could easily just keep updating Lineage 2.

umm having a game without an economy totally screwed over by bots and farmers (atleast for a few weeks :P)

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

By the time Lineage 3 will come out, Lineage 2 will be a very old game. It will be almost twice as old as it is now. They will also keep updating Lineage 2 as long as it is profitable, and it will be profitable for a long time to come.

• KalayKalay Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by FastTx

By the time Lineage 3 will come out, Lineage 2 will be a very old game. It will be almost twice as old as it is now. They will also keep updating Lineage 2 as long as it is profitable, and it will be profitable for a long time to come.

I diagree about Lineage 2 being a very old game.  MMOs are not your average 'run of the mill' computer game where you do what you are supposed to and you are finished.

An MMO is created to be around for sometime, unless there is a serious problem in the server vs. profit area and with subscribers as with Auto Assault.  I am not saying that the game can not be shutdown.  Lineage is one of NCSoft's standards in the market of the MMO paid service.

If you notice the first "Lineage" is a very old game and it is still around.  

'Aion' is the one I am not so sure about. Flight to Fight.   We will see I guess.

L3 would be a good bet to also be around for quite a while.

NcSoft's specialty is the MMO.  The Lineage series will be around, as will the Guild Wars and City Of X series.

GlassEye

Originally posted by Kalay

I diagree about Lineage 2 being a very old game.  MMOs are not your average 'run of the mill' computer game where you do what you are supposed to and you are finished.

An MMO is created to be around for sometime, unless there is a serious problem in the server vs. profit area and with subscribers as with Auto Assault.  I am not saying that the game can not be shutdown.  Lineage is one of NCSoft's standards in the market of the MMO paid service.

'Aion' is the one I am not so sure about. Flight to Fight.   We will see I guess.

NcSoft's specialty is the MMO.  The Lineage series will be around, as will the Guild Wars and City Of X series.

Why are you arguing with me? I never said Lineage 2 is an old game. It's been around for 4 years. It will be another 3-4 years before Lineage 3 releases in North America. It hasn't even run half of it's life cycle yet.

I think we are also moving away from the cycle where players play new unfinished games. There are so many quality MMO's whom have been around for years that a new unfinished game looks far more unappealing. Why play a new half finished game when there are games such as L2 and WoW which have been around and updating and making their game better for four years worth of additional content?

Originally posted by Kalay

Why are you arguing with me? I never said Lineage 2 is an old game. It's been around for 4 years. It will be another 3-4 years before Lineage 3 releases in North America. It hasn't even run half of it's life cycle yet.

I think we are also moving away from the cycle where players play new unfinished games. There are so many quality MMO's whom have been around for years that a new unfinished game looks far more unappealing. Why play a new half finished game when there are games such as L2 and WoW which have been around and updating and making their game better for four years worth of additional content?

Excellent point and that is proving to be the case with most new releases. Hellgate is basically folded, Tabula Rasa is basically on its deathbed, Vanguard was a disaster they are still cleaning up, AoC looks to be following pretty close in VG footsteps... very few new MMO's are having any level of sucess and rightly so. (honestly, pick a game off the list on the right and more then likely you will see a game on its deathbed, there are under 10 that remain strong and most of those are older games)

LotR is really about the only recent success story out there and that is mainly because they had tons low and mid level content and filled inthe high level content very quickly and reacted to the PvP issue fast. On top of it they re-used the old AC2 engine (again) so technical issues were no issue at all.

Only companies that understand that a game not only needs to be able to run well on average PC's but provide an interesting and compelling game experience UP FRONT will be sucessful. Its not enough for devs to load a game with 1000 "go kill 10 rats" quest anymore then a few raids at level cap. The industry is up to its eyeballs with those type games.

IMHO, now that the post WoW crash has happened, you may see a return to a more grass roots type gaming and older successful games have longevity. Games with mechanics that allow players to have more impact on the game world may see a resurrence.

Targetting the WoW crowd by MMO devs was always a mistake as they are not core MMO players and they are not interested in other MMO's for the mostpart.

Its the same with L2 players. Why would an L2 player want to move to games like Vanguard (and I did for a while) or EQ2 or LotR's? None of these games offer anything like the intenses experiences you have in L2. Hardly any of those games have a world nearly as fleshed out as L2. Why would anyone want to move to game that main feature is kill task and raids and thats all? We have that already PLUS.

Whats funny is you see people on forums b*tching about how easy MMO's are now, How leveling is to fast, how death penalties have no meaning or dont exist, how players can not impact anything and everything is in instances and how MMOs shouldn't have an "endgame". We have all of that and more.

L3 will eventually launch and more then likely it will be a replacement for L2 but in the meantime we have a lot more expansion planned and on the way.

L2 is by far a superior game experience to most MMO's out there and keeps getting better. Only EVE has been able to match L2 in that respect. I just wish I could still hunt bots for fun AND profit.  

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Torak

Why would an L2 player want to move to games like Vanguard (and I did for a while) or EQ2 or LotR's? None of these games offer anything like the intenses experiences you have in L2.

To be honest I play LOTRO and a VERY small bit of WoW precisely because they don't offer the intense gameplay that L2 has.

L2 is a more engaging game but I can't really enjoy it fully because a player has to always be "on" all the time.

It is my thought that players will require different types of games depending on the mood they are in. Sometimes just logging on and having some laid back fun is more enjoyable than constantly watching your back.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PepsipwnzgodPepsipwnzgod Member Posts: 203

i hope with the release of lineage 3 they dont dumb it down for babygamers like world of warcraft did, that seems to be the fad this year, "how dumb can we make our games before feeding it with a spoon to the mass public?" lineage 3 should keep the same difficulty as lineage 2 because if you've ever played Lineage 1 you'd know they dumbed down the difficulty when lineage 2 came out =((

-----------------------------
    IVE PLAYED WOW AND LIKED IT SO IM A FANBOI PLZ FLAME MY THREADS CUZ I MIGHT MENTION WOW

Originally posted by Pepsipwnzgod

i hope with the release of lineage 3 they dont dumb it down for babygamers like world of warcraft did, that seems to be the fad this year, "how dumb can we make our games before feeding it with a spoon to the mass public?" lineage 3 should keep the same difficulty as lineage 2 because if you've ever played Lineage 1 you'd know they dumbed down the difficulty when lineage 2 came out =((

Well, given the way that games are going and given some of the upcoming changes to L2, I highly doubt L3 will be a "difficult" game.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• RespyShuntRespyShunt Member Posts: 396

yup thats what i heard, the source code was stolen.  Sucks though, but im not too mad.  I would have played it, but right now im looking forward to Aion the most

Originally posted by Sovrath

Why would an L2 player want to move to games like Vanguard (and I did for a while) or EQ2 or LotR's? None of these games offer anything like the intenses experiences you have in L2.

To be honest I play LOTRO and a VERY small bit of WoW precisely because they don't offer the intense gameplay that L2 has.

L2 is a more engaging game but I can't really enjoy it fully because a player has to always be "on" all the time.

It is my thought that players will require different types of games depending on the mood they are in. Sometimes just logging on and having some laid back fun is more enjoyable than constantly watching your back.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of those games also. I just stopped playing Vanguard for the last six months on a PvE server.

To be honest, although I am leery of someone running by in L2 sometimes, I'm generally not "on" all the time there either. Sometimes during those looong grinds I wish someone would run by and take a whack at me.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of those games also. I just stopped playing Vanguard for the last six months on a PvE server.

To be honest, although I am leery of someone running by in L2 sometimes, I'm generally not "on" all the time there either. Sometimes during those looong grinds I wish someone would run by and take a whack at me.

lol, well let's just say that there are people who I need to get first before they get me.

Lineage 2 has always been the hardcore franchise of NCSoft. I believe Aion will be their casual MMO (If it's a success).

Guild Wars Line = No Grind

Aion franchise = Casual Grind

Lineage franchise = Hardcore grind

Tabula Rasa = Sci Fi

However if they don't make Lineage 3 less bot friendly it's not going to survive. At least NCSoft has competition for all types of gamers. Even Dungeon Runners has it's own niche. I'll stick with my belief that Lineage 3 will be a hard grind where no one will reach the leveling cap for a year.

Lineage 2 has always been the hardcore franchise of NCSoft. I believe Aion will be their casual MMO (If it's a success).
    Guild Wars Line = No Grind
    Aion franchise = Casual Grind
    Lineage franchise = Hardcore grind
    Tabula Rasa = Sci Fi
    However if they don't make Lineage 3 less bot friendly it's not going to survive. At least NCSoft has competition for all types of gamers. Even Dungeon Runners has it's own niche. I'll stick with my belief that Lineage 3 will be a hard grind where no one will reach the leveling cap for a year.

Yes but remember, the grind in L2 has not only softened it will get even, er.. "softer" in the next update (currently on the PTS).

Believe me, I want a game where not everyone is high lvl. However I don't think L3 will continue that trend. Having said that, I am waiting for Aion and it is the only game that I am waiting for.

Lineage 2 is getting easier because thats how games progress. Think of WoW and Burning Crusade. They made their 1-60 easier, why? They wanted it to be easier for players to get to endgame.

Lineage 2 is empty of mid-content. Its got content for 1-40, but theres not much incentive from 40-65. There is little to no money making there, little to no parties. If you aren't in a clan you enjoy by level 40 you probably won't keep playing.

Having said that, an example would be C1 where sure the level cap was 75 but skills only went up to level 58. It took at most 6-7 months to get to that level. Now the level cap is level 85 and since your subclasses give your main class bonuses now, you only max out when you become 85/80/80/80. The grind is becoming harder, but it's looking less and less grindy because they hide it well. Even though compared to C1, 1-58 takes perhaps a week.

Lineage 2 is getting easier because thats how games progress. Think of WoW and Burning Crusade. They made their 1-60 easier, why? They wanted it to be easier for players to get to endgame.
    Lineage 2 is empty of mid-content. Its got content for 1-40, but theres not much incentive from 40-65. There is little to no money making there, little to no parties. If you aren't in a clan you enjoy by level 40 you probably won't keep playing.
    Having said that, an example would be C1 where sure the level cap was 75 but skills only went up to level 58. It took at most 6-7 months to get to that level. Now the level cap is level 85 and since your subclasses give your main class bonuses now, you only max out when you become 85/80/80/80. The grind is becoming harder, but it's looking less and less grindy because they hide it well. Even though compared to C1, 1-58 takes perhaps a week.

Well that's a good point regarding the fact that games get easier to allow for new players to rise to respectable levels.

I just wonder if, because players are expecting more casual friendly games, if L3 will not follow in those footsteps. I'm on the fence really as I like the more hardcore nature of L2 but I don't want to spend all my time playing video games. If only I could retire "now"...

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

L3 was put on indefinate hold when the sorce code was stolen. I havn't heard or been able to find anything about its production being started back up.

You'll be waiting quite a while before Lineage 3. There is no way it'll be out is 2009 unless they are keeping their mouths shut tight. And thats something I've never seen NCSoft do with any games they have their hands in.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519

I haven't kept up with Lin in a few months, what exactly are they doing now in next patch ?

Did the server merges help at all ?

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

Server merges did help a lot. Phoenix is now the most populated North American server. There are huge pvp's for Antharas, Baium and Frintessa.

As for the new changes, they mostly effect levels 1-62, however the new herb changes, Vitality system and the daily instances seem to help players of all levels.

Vitality is very similar to WoW's relaxed experience

Lvl 4 Vitality = 300% EXP

Lvl 3 Vitality = 250% EXP

Lvl 2 Vitality = 200% EXP

Lvl 1 Vitality = 150% EXP

Lvl 0 Vitality = 100% EXP (also SP for all)

You gain your levels of vitality through being logged off or in town or killing raid bosses (which also have an exp boost).

You gain a level of vitality for every 9-18h you are logged/in town.

To help compensate the adena you would miss out on while exping they allow you to buy "Standard" weapons for a fraction of the costs. A weapon which would be worth 2.5million today, you can get the Standard version for 75k. This weapon cannot be enchanted/SA'd or Augmented, so theres the drawback, but players hitting level 20 after an hour can be running around in top D grade, I'm talking Mithril Dagger or Light X-Bow, top end stuff.

Also you get newbie buffs up to level 62 and buff herbs in soloing areas have increased time from 2 minutes to 5 minutes and they've added a Critical Power and Vampiric Rage herb.

Theres so much going on to cater towards less grind and easier leveling by making raiding more appealing at lower levels, and making it "worth your while" to take a break and log off. As to the duration of how long each vitality level lasts, it seems to last longer the higher level you are.

At least for Dark Elves, you can level from 1-18 in 20 minutes and only kill 3 mobs. Then you do your class change, how does this work? Newbie Guide gives you quests to do according to your level.

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519

Wow , those are some serious changes. I'm like at a loss for words. It's  hard for me to say if it's good or bad. Well I guess after 62, reality will kick in again and some of the new players or returning players will get a taste of the grind.

I guess I may resub, I wonder if support class's are finding more groups now, I always wanted to level a Bishop.

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

Haha. Thats another change too. Healers can choose to be apart of the dps instead.

Healers

Healers will get a new skill (level 44) which will allow them to use magic attack skills.
    Healers: EE/SE/Bishop (Prophet not included)
    3 levels to this root skill (similar to the knight class root skill)

Divine Punishment (assuming this might be the skill name)
    Holy based attack, power 57
    Can be used under the root skill mentioned above

Surrender to Holy: lowers target def to holy atks, also increases target’s dark resist

Holy Curse: prevents target getting healed at the same time target will continuously reducing hp.

Holy Storm: Holy based area atk, power 90