Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Play in Windowed Mode and Proud of It

BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170

I figured It's gotta be said because everyone immediately assumes that because you play in Windowed Mode you gotta be cheating.  How can this be?  I don't know. 

Using the FFXI Wiki isn't cheating.

Using AOL Instant Messenger isn't cheating.

Opening my bazaar then surfing the net isn't cheating.

So, clearly playing in Windowed mode isn't cheat, and I am proud to say that I use it every day that I play.

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
Current: FFXI (PC/360)
Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

Comments

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

I am also a proud player if FFXI in windowed mode! :)

FFXI nowadays provides a windowed mode, and playing FFXI in windowed mode is not cheating. I wonder if there is anything that makes people suspect otherwise.

On the other hand, although I don't consider using the third party Windower at minimum functions as cheating, I have to agree that using it is against user agreement - which can be a problem. :(

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by curiindi

I am also a proud player if FFXI in windowed mode! :)
    FFXI nowadays provides a windowed mode, and playing FFXI in windowed mode is not cheating. I wonder if there is anything that makes people suspect otherwise.
    On the other hand, although I don't consider using the third party Windower at minimum functions as cheating, I have to agree that using it is against user agreement - which can be a problem. :(

The reason it's still against the user agreement is because it gives PC players an unfair advantage over 360 and PS players as they cant see TP, have recast timers, etc like PC players can with Windower.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

Windowed mode or windower?

I play FFXI in windowed mode on my PC. Meaning i use the function that SE programmed into the game to make the game windowable.

Windower is a third party tool which make the game in full screen, but in its own window. With this tool there are extra plug-ins that allow a user to see party members TP, shows percetages of health, paste external text, and change the natural lighting of the game. Although the last two are really nominal, the biggest thing is the showing people TP. This puts people who do not use windower at an unfair advantage. Not to mention it uses game code to get this information for you thus has hacked the game. These are just the standard plugins. There are others that you can download as well.

If you use windower you are a cheat. If it only made the game windowable I personally wouldnt have a problem with it. Any PS2/360 user can use a laptop or a PC to look up quest infromation online and not having a windowable game actually will put the PC user at a disadvantage. When you start adding the plug in, hacking game code, and moving IU you are cheating. This isn't WoW which lets you, this is against the EUA.

Using Wiki isn't cheating because that is a user generated site made up of info from the peopel who play the game. It doesn't hack the game to get the information (although I'm sure some of the user will .dat mine to get the information up there). SE actually invites sites like Wiki and Allakazham to their facilities and will give them some info to help the gamer complete task -- because we know SE won't tell you straight out. AIM and web surfing are not cheating at all.

Running the game in windowed mode that they introduced a few months back is not cheating at all. They programmed it into the game and using a function they make for you can't be cheating. If you use the program called windower you are a cheat.

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by ic0n67

Windowed mode or windower?
    I play FFXI in windowed mode on my PC. Meaning i use the function that SE programmed into the game to make the game windowable.
    Windower is a third party tool which make the game in full screen, but in its own window. With this tool there are extra plug-ins that allow a user to see party members TP, shows percetages of health, paste external text, and change the natural lighting of the game. Although the last two are really nominal, the biggest thing is the showing people TP. This puts people who do not use windower at an unfair advantage. Not to mention it uses game code to get this information for you thus has hacked the game. These are just the standard plugins. There are others that you can download as well.
    If you use windower you are a cheat. If it only made the game windowable I personally wouldnt have a problem with it. Any PS2/360 user can use a laptop or a PC to look up quest infromation online and not having a windowable game actually will put the PC user at a disadvantage. When you start adding the plug in, hacking game code, and moving IU you are cheating. This isn't WoW which lets you, this is against the EUA.
    Using Wiki isn't cheating because that is a user generated site made up of info from the peopel who play the game. It doesn't hack the game to get the information (although I'm sure some of the user will .dat mine to get the information up there). SE actually invites sites like Wiki and Allakazham to their facilities and will give them some info to help the gamer complete task -- because we know SE won't tell you straight out. AIM and web surfing are not cheating at all.
    Running the game in windowed mode that they introduced a few months back is not cheating at all. They programmed it into the game and using a function they make for you can't be cheating. If you use the program called windower you are a cheat.

There is a windower lite too though which all it does is window the game.  Allowing people to play via the rules. The window mode that SE has implemented i hear can cause severe lag issues.  Hence why i think a lot of people just stick to windower. Also, i agree that once you start messing with the games code you are crossing into cheating.  However, some justify it as they are only adding capabilities that SE is too lazy to implement or just doesn't care enough to implement.  For one is your party members TP.  I, for one, think this is ridiculous to not show this.  A lot of the plugins though are just things to make gaming easier, don't mess with the "code" per say (that i am aware of, i can be wrong. has happened before), and that SE has implemented later on.  Auto-sorting of inventory for example. Windowed mode being another.

I wish SE would just come out and say it's ok to make plugins since there is a community that cares enough to come up with this stuff.  Just make sure it's strictly understood the second you start cheating or altering code for advantage you will evoke their vengeful wrath.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

Originally posted by Suplyndmnd

For one is your party members TP.  I, for one, think this is ridiculous to not show this.  A lot of the plugins though are just things to make gaming easier, don't mess with the "code" per say (that i am aware of, i can be wrong. has happened before), and that SE has implemented later on.  Auto-sorting of inventory for example.

When SE has come out and spoke out against Windower it wasn't about how you could minimize the game, it was about the TP being shown. Not entirely sure why, but they don't want it so it won't be there. But honestly how hard it is to make the macro "/p TP: <tp>" and use it once when you are above 80% and then when you hit 100%. There are bots that are out there that is used though the windower program. There are plug-ins that auto heal/provoke ... there are plug-ins that teleport you to a sepecific location. Auto-sort will not happen. Because you can then have some fishing bot type programs that will exploit it (not that they already don't auto sort but yeah...)

Originally posted by Suplyndmnd

I wish SE would just come out and say it's ok to make plugins since there is a community that cares enough to come up with this stuff. Just make sure it's strictly understood the second you start cheating or altering code for advantage you will evoke their vengeful wrath.

Won't happen. If enough people suggest it they might add it themselves. That is how this whole windowed mode came about. Enough people wanted it so they added it. The true reason they didn't have the game windowable at launch was they didn't want players to be able to minimize the game and start up some third party tool. It had nothing to do with PS2 or 360 as they were not on those consoles at the time.

There is already basically this threat. Look at the monthly "Look how many peopel we booted" posts on their website

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Auto-sort will not happen. 

Already did happen. Last update. It's great for my fishing.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

This is coming from a console player.

I find it very irriating and annoying when PC users in the LS tell me when and how to use my TP, just because they see it above %100 they are like OMG SPAM NOW!

TP stands for Tactical points.  With that being said, I'll quote a Top Gun line:  "I'll fire when I'm goddamn good and ready." 

Don't tell me how and when to use my TP.  I'll analyze the situation and spend it accordingly to hate/ skillchain/ and if I'm about to get myself killed. thanks.

Originally posted by Satimasu

Which update? I have been fishing and farming since the last one and my inventory does not sort at all. Is it an option in config? Are we talking about an update to FFXI or an update to Windower?

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

Which update? I have been fishing and farming since the last one and my inventory does not sort at all. Is it an option in config? Are we talking about an update to FFXI or an update to Windower?

Auto-sort is under Config>Gameplay - it's an update to FFXI.

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

I play every MMO in windows mode which has become common place now i like having access to the internet, aim , facebook, itunes etc etc etc. FFXI was the last MMO I remember that didn't have a windows mode when i played which annoyed me but i looked pasted it, but when i came back last fall joy to me. Windows user and damn not afraid to say it.

• SailorCallieSailorCallie Member UncommonPosts: 54

Auto-sort has became a real lifesaver for me.

• chop3593chop3593 Member Posts: 55

I have a 22 inch monitor, so II'd rather use it to it's max lol.

so they did ... i stand corrected

• RaikulRaikul Member Posts: 38

I think using Windower is fine, IF you only use if for playing Final Fantasy XI in a window. Some plugins are acceptable, if it just makes the game look better and such. But using plugins to let you see your allies TP and other things I consider cheating. Why? It gives PC players an edge over console players.