Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets hear from the current players on the big news (poll)

admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

• So how are the current players taking the news of a KOTOR MMO ?

• any discussion of a possible shutdown for SWG ?

• Are forum posts being removed ? I havent seen much on their gameplay forum which is where most of the major posters go.

• Any cancellations that you know of from players (yes its early but the game might seem pointless now with no future to play for) ?

Comments

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

There are a few posts in the general star wars (non-swg) forum. This one has over 51 pages already

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?&topic_id=705063

• P3282P3282 Member Posts: 2

I vote for nobody leaves.. KOTOR is a game for Jedi only, SWG is already full of Jedi. So actually KOTOR already is a MMO. Its just called SWG.

• DkevlarDkevlar Member Posts: 308

what is the logic of this question. assuming we have a great kotor game, perfect one in all aspects, it is still due to come. in. 1 year? 1 year and a half? 2 years?

So what is the reason that would make 50 or 75% of the players quit SWG in the next three months - or even any other MMO- for a game that will come in 15 or 20 months? oh wait lets all that play swg or any other mmo stop and play tetris for the next months...

if even the nge didnt shut down swg you really think an anouncement of a kotor game due to come in such long time will have such effect?

you really think that if bliizard anounced wow2 for 2010 . 50 or 75 % of current wow populace would leave? People knew AOC was coming... i didnt notice LOTRO, WOW, whatever losing even 25% of their players before (maybe even after) AOC was anounced.

but hey. we are talking about SWG.... when it comes to SWG any logic is throw away and everything serves as a throwing weapon.

Save such poll for when KOTOR is close to release. then it might be pertinant. Right now it is more close to trolling than anything else.

• Costanza420Costanza420 Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by admriker4

So how are the current players taking the news of a KOTOR MMO ? Very well. Most of the people I know are excited about it. The rest of them won't believe it's actually happening until they see the box on the shelves, since they're just cynical folks.

any discussion of a possible shutdown for SWG ? Nope. I think people are waiting for an official announcement before anything. Also, I think people want to make sure it's a TRUE MMO and not a NWN-like single player with an "MMO component."

Are forum posts being removed ? I havent seen much on their gameplay forum which is where most of the major posters go. They're getting moved to the General Star Wars board for the most part. The entire front page of the general SW forum is KOTOR threads.

Any cancellations that you know of from players (yes its early but the game might seem pointless now with no future to play for) ? No. I don't think anyone sees the point in canceling their SWG sub in preparation of a game that nobody has any idea what it is or when it comes out.

My answers in red.

Originally posted by Dkevlar

what is the logic of this question. assuming we have a great kotor game, perfect one in all aspects, it is still due to come. in. 1 year? 1 year and a half? 2 years?
    So what is the reason that would make 50 or 75% of the players quit SWG in the next three months - or even any other MMO- for a game that will come in 15 or 20 months? oh wait lets all that play swg or any other mmo stop and play tetris for the next months...
    if even the nge didnt shut down swg you really think an anouncement of a kotor game due to come in such long time will have such effect?
    you really think that if bliizard anounced wow2 for 2010 . 50 or 75 % of current wow populace would leave? People knew AOC was coming... i didnt notice LOTRO, WOW, whatever losing even 25% of their players before (maybe even after) AOC was anounced.
    but hey. we are talking about SWG.... when it comes to SWG any logic is throw away and everything serves as a throwing weapon.
     Save such poll for when KOTOR is close to release. then it might be pertinant. Right now it is more close to trolling than anything else.

Its not so much that KOTOR itself would cause SWG players to cancel. Its the eventual shutdown of SWG.

What would be the point to mine the latest steel, run the factory, work on dungeon set pieces, etc if the game has a end date ? Are you really going to bother stockpiling the latest flora spawn or stock your vendors ?

Personally I think that 75% of the remaining players will immediately cancel once a shutdown date is announced. These players hate the current game and despise Sony. They only stuck it out on the slim hope of classic servers coming, a rollback, or a miracle fix to the game

SWG is nothing more than a chat room with some pvp mixed in. I doubt anyone will be left to turn out the lights and lock the door on the last day

Its not so much that KOTOR itself would cause SWG players to cancel. Its the eventual shutdown of SWG.

What would be the point to mine the latest steel, run the factory, work on dungeon set pieces, etc if the game has a end date ? Are you really going to bother stockpiling the latest flora spawn or stock your vendors ?

Personally I think that 75% of the remaining players will immediately cancel once a shutdown date is announced. These players hate the current game and despise Sony. They only stuck it out on the slim hope of classic servers coming, a rollback, or a miracle fix to the game

SWG is nothing more than a chat room with some pvp mixed in. I doubt anyone will be left to turn out the lights and lock the door on the last day

Even wrote something really pertinent. eventual shutdown. Eventual. You really think players that have been playing this game for 5 years- i am not one of them since i was away from game since 2005- will cease to play based on an eventual ...

NOw if you have SOE/LA saying we will shutdown SWG in 6 months  i can see people going away asap. If they say we will shut down SWg in  1 year... i doubt 75% will quit in 3 months, not even 50 %.... 25% maybe...

this people are pretty resiliant... most of them have incorporated SWG in their lifes to such extent that it become part of their daily routine,,, it is like asking them "you are going to die next year, will you stop living now?"

any way i think i'll stop my swg defense in this forum.. Mostly because i'm not even that much SWG hardcore, I know that SWG is, for me, just a buffer until WOTLK or WARHAMMER.  if i make a defense of SWG many times, it is not even because of the game, it is because of the people in it. There is some pretty decent human beings playing it. And on this forum there is a complete lack of respect for those beings. The objective here appears to be alienating the game and the ones that play it for ...most of them for a very long time.

None of the anti.swg crowd actually wins anything from getting or seeing SWG down, apart from somekind of sordid satisfaction, The guys that play it lose a lot.   

• JatwhalJatwhal Member Posts: 162

Wow you really need to step away from the I hate SWG/SOE crack pipe!

Wouldn't it stand to reason that the "current" players play because they enjoy it? 

Not many people continually pay for something they "despise", unless your that Angel dude that kept paying for a game that he hated so much, rofl.

No us SWG vets have been discussing this ingame and many are excited. After-all we're SW fans and gamers.

I think you Vet*H8rs are blinded by your rage against SOE.  

SWG will live unless LA pulls it from them. 

By your logic every medieval mmorpg that came out before AOC has been shutdown. I mean why would there be a need for more than one in the same genre?  They're all really basically the same just a little different art work.  Can you say EQ and EQ2 ?

I'm also not so sure about the financial aspect of them needing to shutdown.   They're running multiple games, EQ2 went through a server reduction merge and hasn't shutdown since... about 2 years ago?

Let's see now, many UO*h8rs (that's Ultima Online) have been claiming a UO shutdown now for about hrmmm 9 years 11 months.  I'm sure one day they'll be able to troll a forum somewhere and claim their "We WON" "We told you they'd shutdown" prize.

An SWG shutdown has no relevance to me as I like to play it and I log in when I can and feel like playing.

I'll keep doing that till they shut it down, whatever time-line that will be.

UO and SWG are the only 2 mmorpg's that I've continually played since they launched. 

I've beta'd many, bought the initial box on others but haven't been hooked by any of them past the free 30 days.

I would like to state that in no way shape or form that anything I receive from SOE influences my opinion about SWG or their company. I’m pretty much a typical average player enjoying the game.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"

Save such poll for when KOTOR is close to release. then it might be pertinant. Right now it is more close to trolling than anything else."

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Where's the "no change" option?  People are obviously talking about it, but that's about it.

Not that I'm outright ready to believe the latest rumour.  It still seems fishy to me.  Why is the CEO of EA supposedly announcing this title, which he has apparantly said is going to be huge, yet there's no announcement at the Bioware site or the LucasArts site?   Why did LucasArts just sign up with SOE on a new Star Wars trading game that's heavily intergrated with SWG? 

With so many cries of wolf over the last few years, I'm still not so sure there's a competitor on the way for SWG.

Originally posted by Jatwhal

Wow you really need to step away from the I hate SWG/SOE crack pipe!

Wouldn't it stand to reason that the "current" players play because they enjoy it? 

Not many people continually pay for something they "despise", unless your that Angel dude that kept paying for a game that he hated so much, rofl.

No us SWG vets have been discussing this ingame and many are excited. After-all we're SW fans and gamers.

I think you Vet*H8rs are blinded by your rage against SOE.  

SWG will live unless LA pulls it from them. 

By your logic every medieval mmorpg that came out before AOC has been shutdown. I mean why would there be a need for more than one in the same genre?  They're all really basically the same just a little different art work.  Can you say EQ and EQ2 ?

I'm also not so sure about the financial aspect of them needing to shutdown.   They're running multiple games, EQ2 went through a server reduction merge and hasn't shutdown since... about 2 years ago?

Let's see now, many UO*h8rs (that's Ultima Online) have been claiming a UO shutdown now for about hrmmm 9 years 11 months.  I'm sure one day they'll be able to troll a forum somewhere and claim their "We WON" "We told you they'd shutdown" prize.

An SWG shutdown has no relevance to me as I like to play it and I log in when I can and feel like playing.

I'll keep doing that till they shut it down, whatever time-line that will be.

UO and SWG are the only 2 mmorpg's that I've continually played since they launched. 

I've beta'd many, bought the initial box on others but haven't been hooked by any of them past the free 30 days.

as weird as it may sound, many of the SWG players are unhappy (yet continue to subscribe). Its the only star wars MMO around. Not much else to choose from for sci-fi fans either.

People tolerate SWG. I doubt they'll tolerate it further if a 6 month or 1 yr shutdown date was announced.

Read the swg forums, theyre constantly filled with complaints and pure hatred of the game.

Even wrote something really pertinent. eventual shutdown. Eventual. You really think players that have been playing this game for 5 years- i am not one of them since i was away from game since 2005- will cease to play based on an eventual ...

NOw if you have SOE/LA saying we will shutdown SWG in 6 months  i can see people going away asap. If they say we will shut down SWg in  1 year... i doubt 75% will quit in 3 months, not even 50 %.... 25% maybe...

this people are pretty resiliant... most of them have incorporated SWG in their lifes to such extent that it become part of their daily routine,,, it is like asking them "you are going to die next year, will you stop living now?"

any way i think i'll stop my swg defense in this forum.. Mostly because i'm not even that much SWG hardcore, I know that SWG is, for me, just a buffer until WOTLK or WARHAMMER.  if i make a defense of SWG many times, it is not even because of the game, it is because of the people in it. There is some pretty decent human beings playing it. And on this forum there is a complete lack of respect for those beings. The objective here appears to be alienating the game and the ones that play it for ...most of them for a very long time.

None of the anti.swg crowd actually wins anything from getting or seeing SWG down, apart from somekind of sordid satisfaction, The guys that play it lose a lot.   

some good points here and I agree somewhat.

I still believe though that many will leave once a shutdown date is facing them. Even if its a year out. No they wont stop living as you point out. I think they'll just move on to another MMO till Bioware's launches.

Every action becomes absolutely pointless when a shutdown is coming. We all understand that everything literally will shut down but a set date is another matter. Games like Ultima remain around after 10 yrs.

SWG is dying a young tragic death. Its a shame that it came to this because the game had such potential

One point I disagree with...

we anti-swg do win. In fact SWG's shutdown is a major win for the entire industry. SWG and SOE threatened to change the essence of MMO's...never change the core game mechanics so games have long-term appeal. SWG's failure reminds Devs all around that they should NEVER violate this cardinal rule of MMO's

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631
    Originally posted by Obraik

With so many cries of wolf over the last few years, I'm still not so sure there's a competitor on the way for SWG.

That's the only sure fire thing in all of this, there's undoubtedly going to be another Star Wars mmo, SWG's 5 years old, it's had 2 major "revisions" that cost it most of it's playerbase and it's development team is being used to break in new devs to be moved on to other projects. Whether you chose to believe the BioWare mmo is Star Wars is up to you, one thing's for sure though, one way or another there's going to be another Star Wars mmo.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

Originally posted by efefia

That's the only sure fire thing in all of this, there's undoubtedly going to be another Star Wars mmo, SWG's 5 years old, it's had 2 major "revisions" that cost it most of it's playerbase and it's development team is being used to break in new devs to be moved on to other projects. Whether you chose to believe the BioWare mmo is Star Wars is up to you, one thing's for sure though, one way or another there's going to be another Star Wars mmo.

I'm sure there will probably be another Star Wars MMO too...but will it be in a year or 10 years?

SWG still has a healthy number of Vet devs working on it, such as Blixtev, Shadowbrak, Swede, Loche and DevH.  The only Dev I can remember that's moved onto a different SOE game was Helios.  It's also still one of SOE's top 3 MMO's

I'm sure there will probably be another Star Wars MMO too...but will it be in a year or 10 years?

SWG still has a healthy number of Vet devs working on it, such as Blixtev, Shadowbrak, Swede, Loche and DevH.  The only Dev I can remember that's moved onto a different SOE game was Helios.  It's also still one of SOE's top 3 MMO's

Chris Cao, Grant McDaniel, Pex, Helios... that's just from memory, I'm sure there's more if I could be bothered to go digging. The pics from the last fanfare kind of said it all, I'd say aside from Blix they probably have an average age of 20-25? Hardly what I'd called an experienced team. And being one of SOE's top 3 mmo's right now is hardly anything to shout about.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

Chris Cao, Grant McDaniel, Pex, Helios... that's just from memory, I'm sure there's more if I could be bothered to go digging. The pics from the last fanfare kind of said it all, I'd say aside from Blix they probably have an average age of 20-25? Hardly what I'd called an experienced team. And being one of SOE's top 3 mmo's right now is hardly anything to shout about.

Chris, Grant and Helios weren't exactly popular amoungst the community, heh, and Pex wasn't a Dev, he was the Events Manager.  Also remember that only a few Devs ever go to the Fan Faires...

Chris, Grant and Helios weren't exactly popular amoungst the community, heh, and Pex wasn't a Dev, he was the Events Manager.  Also remember that only a few Devs ever go to the Fan Faires...

So they only send the inexperienced, apprentice devs to fanfaires?  Yeah, right...... oooh kay.

As for Pex, officially no he wasn't a developer, he did more for the game than any developer I can think of though, he's a huge loss.

So they only send the inexperienced, apprentice devs to fanfaires?  Yeah, right...... oooh kay.

As for Pex, officially no he wasn't a developer, he did more for the game than any developer I can think of though, he's a huge loss.

Pretty sure the last Fan Faire had Blixtev, Loche and Shadowbrak there, amoung others.  As I mentioned, those devs have been involved with the game for quite some time now (4ish years).

we anti-swg do win. In fact SWG's shutdown is a major win for the entire industry. SWG and SOE threatened to change the essence of MMO's...never change the core game mechanics so games have long-term appeal. SWG's failure reminds Devs all around that they should NEVER violate this cardinal rule of MMO's

I honestly think that here is where most of you achieve a epic fail, of colossal proportions. You think you win but you don't.  I am not in the game industry directly, but to a point it is irrelevant for what i'm about to say. Normal people will get shafted left and right while people like me or worst have decision power, We- the political classe- have been shafting mankind for the last 40 centuries, Even when the people achieve some thing, break a trend, and thing they, finally, start a period of equalitarism, the truth is they just wer eable to aovid being shafted today, or tomorrow,... but many are already thinking how to shaf the rst next month.

i normally take a step back and even have a sordib smile. Sometimes reading you guys reminds me of the crowd after WW1. the really believed that that there wouldnt be a new world war . Even the less optimistic never expected to see another 20 years away.. and yet....

the message of " you shouldn't shaft your customers and change the core mechanics of a game" is more prevalent on the mind of the customers than the corporations. in the end they did all wrong but were still able to keep the game ruining for 3.5 years at last after,  in away, commiting a spiritual violation of the customers. 

if SWg had shut down 6 months after NGE, then people would think "nah didnt even paid the effort/cost of the changes"... " "we really shouldnt have done this"..."we brought down upon ourselfs". Nowadays... it is like "lol this guys still think they achieve something bashing us ..while they kept ventilating for years we have kept the cash coming our way.... ".

In the same setting the nge was developed (losing subs, not knowing what to do , seeinf competition achieving success etc)  some other company, some other game, maybe even soe, will pull a nge on it's customers if backed into the ropes. Jumping forward at full steam instead of fixing what is wrong  is something humans excel at. Mostly because none wants to admit he was wrong or did bad. It is always easier to move onwards.

so no, the eventual shutdown of SWG after all this time, even more if connect with SOE losing it's SW license when it should (was supposed to be a 5 years thing right?) points that SOE won, vets lost.. 2 times...

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

Where's the "no change" option?  People are obviously talking about it, but that's about it.
    Not that I'm outright ready to believe the latest rumour.  It still seems fishy to me.  Why is the CEO of EA supposedly announcing this title, which he has apparantly said is going to be huge, yet there's no announcement at the Bioware site or the LucasArts site?   Why did LucasArts just sign up with SOE on a new Star Wars trading game that's heavily intergrated with SWG? 

well, if THIS turns out to be true, then there has been very few cries of wolf. If true, this means most of the rumors flying ariund for over two years are true.

What I'm wondering is whether or not SOE will host the servers for this game, and it'll be a little like EQ1 and EQ2. I wouldn't put it past LA to make such an arrangement to make all the business concerns involved happy.

Of course, that'll anger quite a few people who hate SOE.

We'll see. As a current, yet critical, player, I am very excited by the news.

actually you put there a point that is pertinent... we are all assuming that SOE is out of the picture in relation to this new game when in fact SOE might even be the server park supplier....

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Bioware licensed Perpetual's billing/support/server software prior to being bought by EA.  With Perpetual going belly up, and EA now in the picture, SOE would bring nothing to the table.  I don't see SOE being at all involved in the new game.  It would be an unneccessary expense.

On the other hand, I also don't see LEC forcing SOE to shut down SWG.  Considering it is all but unavailable, It won't do much harm to the new game's box sales, aside from the folks who's SWG experience will cause them to avoid the new game.

Again, SOE doesn't have anything to offer as far as the new game is concerned, aside from the baggage of SWG's history.  Offering them a role, no matter how insignificant, would not benefit the new game.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

first and foremost, this poll will never be accurate because people on these forums will lie there asses off to make the game they like look good.

Secondly, there is no way to know yet if this game is going to be something any of us even like. I have faith in bioware, but i dont know. theyre are certain things ive grown accustomed to in mmos now, and im not sure they will be in this game.

I worry about bioware's ideas for:

1. Payer houses

2. Good combat system

3. graphics

4. character combat and appearence and crafting customization

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by jadan2000

first and foremost, this poll will never be accurate because people on these forums will lie there asses off to make the game they like look good.

To be fair,On this site it works both ways .

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

Originally posted by Obee
    Bioware licensed Perpetual's billing/support/server software prior to being bought by EA.  With Perpetual going belly up, and EA now in the picture, SOE would bring nothing to the table.  I don't see SOE being at all involved in the new game.  It would be an unneccessary expense.
    On the other hand, I also don't see LEC forcing SOE to shut down SWG.  Considering it is all but unavailable, It won't do much harm to the new game's box sales, aside from the folks who's SWG experience will cause them to avoid the new game.
    Again, SOE doesn't have anything to offer as far as the new game is concerned, aside from the baggage of SWG's history.  Offering them a role, no matter how insignificant, would not benefit the new game.

Ah, I didn't know that. Interesting. And good news, as far as I'm concerned.
  • GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

I think the biggest effect of this is not with current players.  The biggest effect will be on any potential new player.  Knowing it is more than likely this game will be shut down so as not to compete with a game coming in a year is enough of a reason to keep them away.  Why would anyone start in a MMO that is only going to last maybe a year.  They might have time to level up one or two characters.  But not experience the whole game.

The future of the game is in question from this recent annoucement.  Before any one says it is not official, it came from the head of the company that owns Bioware.  I'm sure he is much more in the know than any current player that has faith this game isn't going anywhere.

If SOE or LA wants new subs to continue coming to this game, I suggest they open their mouth about specific time frames and plans for SWG.  Not an ambiguous "Well we don't see why SWG can't last forever."  They need to say "We will not..."  "SWG will..."  and give dates for shut down or say if the game will remain in station pass and for how long.  Till this happens there is no point for anyone new to play, or for me to resub.  And I was thinking about it for the WS and BM upgrades to try out.

Oh well saves me $15.

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic