Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How "Dead" is this?

2»

Comments

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Here it comes.  All of the AoC refugees are suddenly coming to PotBS, to seek out a MMO that is complete, has full servers, and a good development team that is adding content daily.

*laughter ceases*

Seriously, this game is toast.  It's even worse than AoC, heck, it's worse than Tabula Rasa.  The month I subscribed for, and the week I played were some of the most uninspiring I've even seen in an online game. 

I hate to say this but PotBS is even a disgrace to the Station Pass.  The Station Pass is nothing more than a graveyard for dead games to inhabit after their productive lives have ceased, this game never had a productive life, it was a fail from the start, from before launch.  I had hopes for 2 games, AoC and this one.  Both failed on an epic level.  As soon as SOE was part of PotBS I knew it was doomed.  AoC I still had hope for until I read the updates as launch drew closer.

Fail, fail, fail, and more fail. 

Tecmo Bowl.

• baron432baron432 Member Posts: 9

For me the game is *dead* now, but I will get it a look in a year or so (if it still does exist):

- the game is still rather rough, naval fight being really well done here, but almost every other feature is ... not good enough

- flawed economy, giving player neither joy, nor reward.No difference between you *concentrating on economy* or *ignoring it* (+ you'll get better reward from grinding repeatable missions, anyway).

- failing RvR, being too much dependent on too much different *nation* population

- PvP having too much to be dealed with (current state could not satisfy neither core, nor occasional PvPers, affecting the life of PvErs in a rather un-acceptable way at the same time)

- not enough guild life. Maybe if guilds can have their own ports/structures/life/missions/...

- AvCom on the level of early 90ies

What I appreciate here is:

- great main idea

- awesome naval fights

- great customer support (I simply NEVER met such quick & quality & useful help in ANY game before)

• teabagteabag Member Posts: 118

Ask Sheista since she was so fond of PotBs.

Let the expert blabs whatever they may think.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by Thunderous

Here it comes.  All of the AoC refugees are suddenly coming to PotBS, to seek out a MMO that is complete, has full servers, and a good development team that is adding content daily.
    *laughter ceases*
    Seriously, this game is toast.  It's even worse than AoC, heck, it's worse than Tabula Rasa.  The month I subscribed for, and the week I played were some of the most uninspiring I've even seen in an online game. 
    I hate to say this but PotBS is even a disgrace to the Station Pass.  The Station Pass is nothing more than a graveyard for dead games to inhabit after their productive lives have ceased, this game never had a productive life, it was a fail from the start, from before launch.  I had hopes for 2 games, AoC and this one.  Both failed on an epic level.  As soon as SOE was part of PotBS I knew it was doomed.  AoC I still had hope for until I read the updates as launch drew closer.
    Fail, fail, fail, and more fail. 

Actually, as much as I have been complaining about the game, I find the failure of PotBS rather painful.  I don't know the financial situation of Flying Lab Software, but I hope they recover.

I played both PotBS and AoC, the former for 5 months, and the latter for a month and a half.  Call me a sap, but as much as PotBS was a major disappointment, I must admit I like Flying Lab Software, despite getting the distinct impression that they did not know what they were doing three-quarters of the time (including that misguided "no crying in the red circle" business), and that now it's too late to really turn the game around. Funcom I don't care about at all; it treated its customers like dirt then busily started censoring them when they dared to complain, and deserves every bit of financial misfortune headed their way, if any.

We'll see how either of them fares when Warhammer comes out, but I'd be prepared to bet that of PotBS and AoC, PotBS has better chances of enduring, even though in a sort of half-dead state, not because of Station Pass but because it's a niche genre.  Not sure everyone who likes the age of sail will want to play a game with yet more dwarves and elves, no matter how good it might be.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Yeah, I can agree with that.  PotBS isn't going to shut down soon.  It's on the Station Pass, there should always be a few hundred people who want to play on ships as pirates.  Pirate of the Carribean caters to a younger audience so it's not going to kill of PotBS outright.

SOE/FLS will keep the maintenance on the cheap and the game will its course.  AoC is in serious trouble.  Funcom only has 2 live games, 1 is AO and the other is AoC.  Their stocks are tumbling and overall industry awareness to their behaviour seems to be high.  If Funcom can turn around AoC and save their company it will take a lot of shrewd management and decision-making to do so, and I don't think they are capable of that.

Tecmo Bowl.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

PotBS is basically a RvR game with a PvP element in it(Pirates).  The real only PvE is to teach you how to handle your ship and AV com.  I feel it was a mistake for Flying Lab to try and cater to everyone with its present game play.  The RvR side of the game is fun enough in my opinion, but the pirates need some work as there is little incentive to engage them.  Unfortunately the cost to do RvR/PvP is such that it discourages most from participating, insurance helps but doesn't cure the problem.  A catch twenty-two is if the population is up, people are turned away from port battles and this also creates discontent.

The basic truth is if you like RvR then you will probably like this game even with its flaws, if not thers not much to keep your interest here.

• baroobaroo Member Posts: 15

I really wanted this game to be good, but it's not.  A lot of people compare it to Eve and that is doing a disservice to Eve.  I would just save your money, honestly.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

FLS: "No crying in the red circle."

Players: "No crying in the marketplace."

Pirates of the Burning Sensation simply failed to deliver.

And now, as we all expected, it goes to the long term coma land of Station Pass to rot and be rightfully forgotten, with the rest of the mediocre games that don't quite die there.

• celdridgeceldridge Member Posts: 188

I had extreme high hope for this game. I played in the beta and was let down so I saved myself the money. Figured I would wait for the reviews and to see what the community had to say about it. Man I am ever so happy I waited.

Originally posted by celdridge

I had extreme high hope for this game. I played in the beta and was let down so I saved myself the money. Figured I would wait for the reviews and to see what the community had to say about it. Man I am ever so happy I waited.

And in the meantime, if your avatar is any indication, you went straight to Age of Conan...

*Clap, clap, clap*

• celdridgeceldridge Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by Vetarnias

And in the meantime, if your avatar is any indication, you went straight to Age of Conan...

*Clap, clap, clap*

But at least this time I bought the game from a place that had a 10 day return policy. Saw it sucked and took it back. Go me.

• Mupp3nMupp3n Member Posts: 56

*Clap, clap, clap*

But at least this time I bought the game from a place that had a 10 day return policy. Saw it sucked and took it back. Go me.

How can you return an MMO with the CD Key USED?

Originally posted by Mupp3n

*Clap, clap, clap*

How can you return an MMO with the CD Key USED?

Around here it's even worse -- can't return ANY computer game if the box has been opened, regardless of reason (if your rig can't run it, if you don't like it, etc).  Almost learned it the hard way a few years ago when I bought the Mac version of  SimCity 3000 by mistake; thankfully, I noticed in time.

• SoraellionSoraellion Member UncommonPosts: 558

When I betaed it (remember getting cussed out by Isildur for chatting before NDA drop, rightfully so albeit a bit overdramatic) I stated that you could port the whole game to a PS1 and it would not feel out of place on it.

No amount of time, polish or money thrown at it can mend that.

Originally posted by Soraellion

When I betaed it (remember getting cussed out by Isildur for chatting before NDA drop, rightfully so albeit a bit overdramatic) I stated that you could port the whole game to a PS1 and it would not feel out of place on it.

Curious. Link, please.