Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vehicle combat on the way?

2»

Comments

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

LMAO, expansions for SWG...  What a joke.  Vehicle combat...  LMAO, outside of some lame instance (IF IT EVER HAPPENS) you won't see it in SWG...  Without collision detection, could you imagine the lunacy of watching that take place?

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Originally posted by AveBethos

LMAO, expansions for SWG...  What a joke.  Vehicle combat...  LMAO, outside of some lame instance (IF IT EVER HAPPENS) you won't see it in SWG...  Without collision detection, could you imagine the lunacy of watching that take place?

Hmm, an MMO without collision detection, do I even need to list them all?

So, I guess its only funny if its in SWG, but its ok in games like WoW because... WoW is fantasy and SWG is Sci Fi?

Oh well, I can imagine the lunacy then, cause I played WW2 Online where planes flew through the ground and came back out of it and infantry used to remain in the seated position as they fell out of the back of a halftrack when it flipped.

No games are perfect, so please, stop pretending this is something new to the MMO industry.

WoW has vehicle combat?  WWIIO has a z-axis, SWG doesn't.  That is the reason the developers are attempting to build the Hoth instance with the JtL client.  If they are semi-successful, thye might try to include vehicle combat in future instances, but it will never be implemented in the regular game.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by Obee

So, I guess its only funny if its in SWG, but its ok in games like WoW because... WoW is fantasy and SWG is Sci Fi?

Oh well, I can imagine the lunacy then, cause I played WW2 Online where planes flew through the ground and came back out of it and infantry used to remain in the seated position as they fell out of the back of a halftrack when it flipped.

No games are perfect, so please, stop pretending this is something new to the MMO industry.

WoW has vehicle combat?  WWIIO has a z-axis, SWG doesn't.  That is the reason the developers are attempting to build the Hoth instance with the JtL client.  If they are semi-successful, thye might try to include vehicle combat in future instances, but it will never be implemented in the regular game.

It wouldn't really need a Z-axis for vehicle combat...

Originally posted by Obraik

For the type they intend for Hoth, and the type most of their customers want, they would.  Hoth is supposed to have atmospheric flight with snow speeders.  The playerbase had been asking for atmospheric flight since JtL was launched.  If the developers just slap together the ability for players to shoot things from their land speeders, you will likely be the only one who is happy about it, or you will at least claim to be happy about it.  That isn't what the players have been asking for, and considering how slugish vehicles are in SWG, it would be a useless addition.  Who is going to hop into a vehicle that makes them easier to hit in combat (bigger hitbox and less manuverabllity)?

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

For the type they intend for Hoth, and the type most of their customers want, they would.  Hoth is supposed to have atmospheric flight with snow speeders.  The playerbase had been asking for atmospheric flight since JtL was launched.  If the developers just slap together the ability for players to shoot things from their land speeders, you will likely be the only one who is happy about it, or you will at least claim to be happy about it.  That isn't what the players have been asking for, and considering how slugish vehicles are in SWG, it would be a useless addition.  Who is going to hop into a vehicle that makes them easier to hit in combat (bigger hitbox and less manuverabllity)?

Considering Smedley said vehicle combat, rather then atmospheric, not to mention the Producer saying that there will not be a space aspect to it, people shouldn't be expecting it to be atmospheric flight. My guess is that it could possibly be AT-AT's and the like, as this was mentioned by a few who attended the summit back in April. 

Hit boxes don't really matter on the ground, due to target lock and auto-fire.  You coud have the smallest possible hit box in the game, but if the person targeting you is using target lock, it's not really going to give you any advantage over have a bigger hitbox.

Considering Smedley said vehicle combat, rather then atmospheric, not to mention the Producer saying that there will not be a space aspect to it, people shouldn't be expecting it to be atmospheric flight. My guess is that it could possibly be AT-AT's and the like, as this was mentioned by a few who attended the summit back in April. 

Hit boxes don't really matter on the ground, due to target lock and auto-fire.  You coud have the smallest possible hit box in the game, but if the person targeting you is using target lock, it's not really going to give you any advantage over have a bigger hitbox.

One of the players that went to the last gathering, where the Hoth instance was announced, said that one of the developers claimed they were going to try and build the Hoth instance with the JtL client.  They also had shown concept art that included a Snow Speeder during the Hoth presentation.

The poorly implemented targeting system is another reason adding the ability to shoot at things from a land speeder would be a useless addition.

• vet-in-exilevet-in-exile Member Posts: 239
    Originally posted by Torak

Originally posted by vet-in-exile

Originally posted by Torak

Originally posted by sinjin

No offense but it saddens me to see such work being done.

Why's that?

You don't want to use vehicles in combat?

I know what he's talking about. It made me sad when I saw they added gunships to the game because it made me think about how awesome they would have been back when the game had a big enough population to crew a gunship.

Sooo...

You are saying that you don't play the game anymore but don't want it to be developed further because they would add things you wanted when you played and that rubs you the wrong way...right?

Sort of petty on the people who do play, don'tcha think? Why would you want to deprive the players who are currently paying subs of stuff? The amount of subs is irrelevant, you just want to take from them because you didn't have it and you don't pay anymore.

Kind of a selfish outlook on a video game IMHO.

Anyway, have fun with the vehicles guys.

Can you highlight in my earlier post exactly where I said I didn't want new things to be developed? I just said it made me sad to read about cool things being added now when the game is already ruined as opposed to having them in the game before the NGE. If you're going to call me names and flame me for something at least have the decency to read my posts before doing so.