Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What you fail to realize about the KOTOR MMO is...

Comments

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779
    Originally posted by talanisen

Originally posted by Lateris

Has anyone brought up  the fact that the CEO's statement could get EA into a ball of hot wax if the contract  states no disclosure in the purchase of Bioware on all in house development projects? I have to say this is the worst announcement ever...but it is haiku.

Ya really think that LA is going to go after the CEO of EA? Particularly when they are in the process of developing at least one major game with them?

EA has made it perfectly clear since they acquired Bioware that they want their investors to know about the KOTOR MMO. They've been leaking it like mad. This was just another opportunity for them to feed the buzz a little bit more without letting any real info out of the bag.

I think part of it is that EA is being somewhat unethical in its approach to break sllence.  Most feel and have stated and I have seen it on multiple forum sites now that this was not supposed to be released by EA and that it is a breach of contract.     People are ignoring for the simple fact that they want it so bad that they will let it slide.   At least that is what I am seeing. I personally dont care.  I mean what harm is it going to do leaking this if it indeed was leaked and just not more false rumour stuff.    The thread on this subject of the announcment has been relegated to "rumour" material by bioware.   So to me this says that bioware is not ready to release info yet either (even though they are now part of EA).   When I saw that it was put in the "rumour" pile on the KOTOR forum it is a possible sign that it was not a leak and just more info that some people have made up and decided to feed us.    For now its nice.  I dont know ifi want KOTOR to become an mmorpg, but it depends what they do with it.  It might be great in which case I will happily line up and pay money for the game like others (even though I really hate EA lol)   .  I also see a lot of posts by diehard KOTOR fans saying that they dont want the KOTOR series to morph into an MMORPG.   There actually seem to be more posts saying that diehard KOTOR fans dont want an mmorpg then fans that do want one.   I'm thinking that it wont have the same success rate as wow did by attracting all its pc gamers to the MMORPG because the noises being made by the KOTOR gamer fanbase seems to say it wont draw them in in a similar manner that WoW drew fans in from their series of offline pc games.  

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

Originally posted by ummax
    Originally posted by Lateris Has anyone brought up  the fact that the CEO's statement could get EA into a ball of hot wax if the contract  states no disclosure in the purchase of Bioware on all in house development projects? I have to say this is the worst announcement ever...but it is haiku.

Ya really think that LA is going to go after the CEO of EA? Particularly when they are in the process of developing at least one major game with them?
    EA has made it perfectly clear since they acquired Bioware that they want their investors to know about the KOTOR MMO. They've been leaking it like mad. This was just another opportunity for them to feed the buzz a little bit more without letting any real info out of the bag.

I think part of it is that EA is being somewhat unethical in its approach to break sllence.  Most feel and have stated and I have seen it on multiple forum sites now that this was not supposed to be released by EA and that it is a breach of contract.     People are ignoring for the simple fact that they want it so bad that they will let it slide.   At least that is what I am seeing. I personally dont care.  I mean what harm is it going to do leaking this if it indeed was leaked and just not more false rumour stuff.    The thread on this subject of the announcment has been relegated to "rumour" material by bioware.   So to me this says that bioware is not ready to release info yet either (even though they are now part of EA).   When I saw that it was put in the "rumour" pile on the KOTOR forum it is a possible sign that it was not a leak and just more info that some people have made up and decided to feed us.    For now its nice.  I dont know ifi want KOTOR to become an mmorpg, but it depends what they do with it.  It might be great in which case I will happily line up and pay money for the game like others (even though I really hate EA lol)   .  I also see a lot of posts by diehard KOTOR fans saying that they dont want the KOTOR series to morph into an MMORPG.   There actually seem to be more posts saying that diehard KOTOR fans dont want an mmorpg then fans that do want one.   I'm thinking that it wont have the same success rate as wow did by attracting all its pc gamers to the MMORPG because the noises being made by the KOTOR gamer fanbase seems to say it wont draw them in in a similar manner that WoW drew fans in from their series of offline pc games.  

Got a link from the Bioware or LA site where they are saying that the president of EA broke contract? I'd be most interested to see that.

Originally posted by infrared1
    Originally posted by Fishermage  

All this speculation is hilarious.
    If you read the interview he only agrees that the other project is the one everyone is refering to as KOTOR MMO. He never said it was KOTOR. It's a play on words. This has been twisted in other articles following the interview.
    I'm still waiting for an offcial announcement and the actual working title of the game. I have no doubt that this is a SW based MMO, but the speculation on the web is uncanney. Everyone needs a chill pill untill we no for sure with an official announcement from EA or Bioware, or LA.

Why should we take a chill pill? Why not have an enjoyable conversation based upon what has been said? Passion and excitement are good things.

Why would anyone want to kill people's enthusiasm? To me that's just plain bizarre.

I've heard this enjoyable conversation for months now. I'm just as anxious for a new SW MMO but i will show my enthusiasm when it's time. Share the electricity and excitment just stop the speculation.

why? What is wrong with people speculating? Again, I find it bizarre that you need to control and stifle others enjoyment.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Has anyone brought up  the fact that the CEO's statement could get EA into a ball of hot wax if the contract  states no disclosure in the purchase of Bioware on all in house development projects? I have to say this is the worst announcement ever...but it is haiku.

Because the CEO of the largest game dev/pub would do something like breech a contract to build some hype?

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Originally posted by Lateris Has anyone brought up  the fact that the CEO's statement could get EA into a ball of hot wax if the contract  states no disclosure in the purchase of Bioware on all in house development projects? I have to say this is the worst announcement ever...but it is haiku.

Hmmmm....lets see....as i recall EA bought Bioware back in January so that would mean that EA is allowed to say what they are working on. as for the rest of your post it doesnt matter what you think really because more fans want it to happen...they outweigh the ones that dont.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"That LA is still in the mix. They were the ones who pushed SOE to make an "easier to play" more "star warsy" game and to dumb it down so the lowest common denominator could get into it (much like WOW does)."

So now we are going to get tons of posts along these lines?

Let me see your PhD sir.

"...lowest common denominator..."

Give me a break.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

2009 is such an optimistic guess.  this game (Bioware's first) will promise the world and take at least til late 2010 before we will see the game.  it might even be the beta,  it all depends on what they want to implement and who they have to do that with. 

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• infrared1infrared1 Member UncommonPosts: 440

If you read the interview he only agrees that the other project is the one everyone is refering to as KOTOR MMO. He never said it was KOTOR. It's a play on words. This has been twisted in other articles following the interview.

I'm still waiting for an offcial announcement and the actual working title of the game. I have no doubt that this is a SW based MMO, but the speculation on the web is uncanney. Everyone needs a chill pill untill we no for sure with an official announcement from EA or Bioware, or LA.

Why should we take a chill pill? Why not have an enjoyable conversation based upon what has been said? Passion and excitement are good things.

Why would anyone want to kill people's enthusiasm? To me that's just plain bizarre.

I've heard this enjoyable conversation for months now. I'm just as anxious for a new SW MMO but i will show my enthusiasm when it's time. Share the electricity and excitment just stop the speculation.

why? What is wrong with people speculating? Again, I find it bizarre that you need to control and stifle others enjoyment.

Don't get your panties in an uproar for sharing my opinion. I respect you Fisher. I don't want a flame war. I won't stifle your assumptions any longer.

Don't get your panties in an uproar for sharing my opinion. I respect you Fisher. I don't want a flame war. I won't stifle your assumptions any longer.image

Well, I haven't made any assumptions; as always I am treating the whole thing with two grains of salt and a whole mess of guarded optimism. Too many variables out there at this point.

My point was, let the people have their fun. They need it. This is a dark time. No reason to kill the new hope.

Got a link from the Bioware or LA site where they are saying that the president of EA broke contract? I'd be most interested to see that.

if you read as I said there are multiple sites where PEOPLE are saying it it. I dont know if it is or not but it is another piece of heresay rumour floating around and being discussed on forums just like this one. The first place I read this was on a bioware forum stated by a poster who asked a mod to change the subject title of her post to be a query as apposed to "fact". The mod poped up in the thread moved it to the rumours section and changed the title to a question instead of a statement as a request of the poster. Its there to find if you want to look I'm not that into "proving" things which are easily found by simply surfing since I"m not much of one to spend ages on this stuff. Lets just say I found it in a 5 minute sit down break that I took from unpacking boxes after moving.

Originally posted by Arndur

Because the CEO of the largest game dev/pub would do something like breech a contract to build some hype?

Honestly he would probably just get a rap on the knuckles and a finger waggled at him and a sideways glance in a meeting with a half smile on the guy waggling his finger at him.    Thats my take on it as I have done things your not allowed to do from time to time at work because it was safe to and you knew that although it was on paper it was past the point of it mattering.    Usually I get a half smile with a finger waggled at me with a "you know you shouldn't do that" and the person saying it semi chuckling under his breath and walking out of the room.     :/ 

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

Honestly he would probably just get a rap on the knuckles and a finger waggled at him and a sideways glance in a meeting with a half smile on the guy waggling his finger at him.    Thats my take on it as I have done things your not allowed to do from time to time at work because it was safe to and you knew that although it was on paper it was past the point of it mattering.    Usually I get a half smile with a finger waggled at me with a "you know you shouldn't do that" and the person saying it semi chuckling under his breath and walking out of the room.     :/ 

ummax, you can try to create a rationalization out of a complete abscence of logic all you want, the fact is that the CEO of Electronic Arts went on record to say that it is happening, so most REASONABLE people would believe him.

No amount of attempts at creating a false hope that he is somehow lying to his stockholders, to his employees, to his customers will change the fact that Bioware and EA have been developing a KOTOR MMO for several years now that will replace SWG.

It probably won't sink in for you until you are in game playing KOTOR, but it is happening. 

Originally posted by AveBethos

blah blah forum pvp.. talk down to ummax like she doesn't have a brain cause you need to get your rocks off blah blah forum pvp..

YES I think there is an SWG MMORPG coming out but if its okay with you I want to have a REASONABLE discussion with peole who are not into the attack mode stuff go please find an open ended pvp game and go wack someone meanwhile I wont actualy be discussing anything with you as a human being with like intellect over how words were written on a page because that is not what your after I have given you your acknowledgement that I have noticed your repeated attempts to start a fight.  Now I will go back to the actual subject at hand and leave you to argue with yourself.. sorry attempt failed I'm just letting you know becausey our trying so hard that I noticed you trying so hard.  Nice please remember there is a line and after you cross that line I start hitting report and that is why posts disappear
    /waves by to the forum pvp'er..

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

What did I say to warrant you reporting me? 

If you can't handle an intellectual discussion with me covering the topic at hand, then say so, don't threaten to "report" me because you can't formulate a logical response.  Nobody is attacking you, I just fail to see how you are offering up opinions based on bias and simply overlooking on major factor...

THE CEO OF EA WENT ON RECORD TO SAY THEY ARE DEVELOPING KOTOR ONLINE.

At this point, the discussion should end there.  He is accountable to a lot of people for what he says and there is no indication that he has disputed the report.  So if there is no denial on his part, on the part of LucasArts, and of anyone else, why are YOU feeling the need to dispute it?

It doesn't make sense.  It's strange how you put forth so much effort to defend SOE and SWG at all costs, even at the misrepresentation of logic and reason.  This is not an attack, I really just don't understand.  Call me ignorant, call me anything you want, but I fail to see how this topic is even debatable at this point, if you follow reason.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

If there will be a new sandbox game like preCU SWG was, it will come from a small Indie type company. Not from a major player in the MMO market. Those days are over.

Players who wish for a sandbox type of KOTOR, are plain ignorant. We are talking about commercial companies. The commercially succesfull MMO's have all been dumbed (in amount of features) down MMO's like WoW, CoH, Lineage and GW .

With expensive disasters like SWG, Vanguard and Saga of Ryzom, you really believe that investors still will put money in sandbox MMO's like these? Grow up!

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by someforumguy

If there will be a new sandbox game like preCU SWG was, it will come from a small Indie type company. Not from a major player in the MMO market. Those days are over.
    Players who wish for a sandbox type of KOTOR, are plain ignorant. We are talking about commercial companies. The commercially succesfull MMO's have all been dumbed (in amount of features) down MMO's like WoW, CoH, Lineage and GW .
    With expensive disasters like SWG, Vanguard and Saga of Ryzom, you really believe that investors still will put money in sandbox MMO's like these? Grow up!

You sure about that?

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

If you can't handle an intellectual discussion with me covering the topic at hand, then say so, don't threaten to "report" me because you can't formulate a logical response.  Nobody is attacking you, I just fail to see how you are offering up opinions based on bias and simply overlooking on major factor...
    At this point, the discussion should end there.  He is accountable to a lot of people for what he says and there is no indication that he has disputed the report.  So if there is no denial on his part, on the part of LucasArts, and of anyone else, why are YOU feeling the need to dispute it?
    It doesn't make sense.  It's strange how you put forth so much effort to defend SOE and SWG at all costs, even at the misrepresentation of logic and reason.  This is not an attack, I really just don't understand.  Call me ignorant, call me anything you want, but I fail to see how this topic is even debatable at this point, if you follow reason.

Ave, take a step back and reread the posts by Ummax which you responded to.

Ummax did not say EA wasn't making the game, Ummax was simply saying that there would be no punishment for the CEO letting the info slip in regards to another post Ummax was replying to.

Also, Ummax didn't say he/she was reporting you but would if you crossed the line.

I think you simply misunderstood the posts by Ummax. No big deal, just thought I'd point it out.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

Originally posted by someforumguy

You sure about that?

Yes. Not only because of the failures and successes from the investor's point of view. Also because WoW's and Lineage succes showed that apparently a lot of people dont even expect more then this. I like sandbox MMO's, but I think that players like me are in the minority. And minorities are simply not that interesting for the big boys in MMO land.

Originally posted by Zorvan

Ave, take a step back and reread the posts by Ummax which you responded to.

Ummax did not say EA wasn't making the game, Ummax was simply saying that there would be no punishment for the CEO letting the info slip in regards to another post Ummax was replying to.

Also, Ummax didn't say he/she was reporting you but would if you crossed the line.

I think you simply misunderstood the posts by Ummax. No big deal, just thought I'd point it out.

thank you

/deep bow

I'm going to reply because I honestly dont think your reading what I say just skimming stuff.  IN each KOTOR thread you have disagreed with me we in fact have said the same thing and agree with each other.   However you see what I say as the opposite of what you say and then tell me i am denying that a game is being made (when im not) and then tell me how irrational I am and start to take me appart BUT what we say is actually almost the same thing if not identical.  Where i come from that means your trying to start a fight where none can be had because how do two people disagree when they say the same thing.   I support and have supported what you said in these kotor threads by saying the same thing in fact I they are almost identical in most cases yet your still diasgreeing with me and telling me I am irrational and in some kind of denial.    If you take the time to go back you will find another thread where you said the same thing that I ignored on this issue.   I seem to in your head be saying that there is no KOTOR game being made when all I am doing is saying ilke others is that there likely is but some people are more cautious about what they say and how they say it and dont get their hopes up too soon.   Call it superstition or trying not to be disappointed, but in the end if you read my posts I am agreeing that

a) an MMORPG based on starwars is being made

b) i am saying that this leak if it was not planned (it could be a marketting ploy for all we know) will cause no harm or foul to the ceo.

c) others are saying its possible he is breaking an NDA contract (I am only relaying what I have seen written I have not formed an opinion one way or another as to whether he has or not and frankly could not care less..)

Yet your in attack mode yet I have said almost exactly if not exactly what your saying.   Now last week some peole got pretty confrontational to the point i was being refered to as an "it" among other things.   I threw my hands up last week and just started reporting because it appears as if everyone wants to just fight and insult for no reason.  

I'm sure very soon some guy is going to come by and tell me I am lying about something again because its about time.  I have made a whole 4 or 5 posts in an attempt to just talk and socialize in a message board and already I'm being confronted and my words are getting reversed and coming out as something else as they are comletely misinterpretted and spit out as the opposite of what I said.  

So next is some guy is going to come along and tell me I lied about something or other (lord knows what this time but by now I'm a pathological liar if you look at the amount of times I have been accused of lying when just presenting information and "shooting the shit" over a game ..) its coming though because my words are being taken not as to what they say but as to what people seem to want them to say. 

in short i feel like a punching bag when this happens as I rub my eyes to try to find how someone can read something that is not on the page.   So yes believe it or not we agree with each other (again) this is not the first time that we have agreed but it seems whenever that happens I am told I am disagreeing an attempt is made to start a fight. 

This time I'm not going to try to convince you that we are saying the same thing. I am simply going to tell you we are and leave it at that.  

if you read as I said there are multiple sites where PEOPLE are saying it it. I dont know if it is or not but it is another piece of heresay rumour floating around and being discussed on forums just like this one. The first place I read this was on a bioware forum stated by a poster who asked a mod to change the subject title of her post to be a query as apposed to "fact". The mod poped up in the thread moved it to the rumours section and changed the title to a question instead of a statement as a request of the poster. Its there to find if you want to look I'm not that into "proving" things which are easily found by simply surfing since I"m not much of one to spend ages on this stuff. Lets just say I found it in a 5 minute sit down break that I took from unpacking boxes after moving.

No you didn't say "people" are saying it, you specifically did not say who was saying it -- you said it was being said.

It is not a "hearsay" rumor. It was a news report from conde naste which is a BUSINESS NEWS source and a very reputable one.

It was a report of a direct statement made by the president of the owner of Bioware -- anything but a rumor.

I have looked at the Bioware site, and the dude was obfuscating, much as you often do. I understand why you are not into "proving" things, because you are out to spread innuendo and spin. What I still wonder is WHY you do this. I can't fathom your agenda.

Now, without further obfuscation, WHO is saying that the president of EA, the owner of Bioware, is guilty of breach of contract, and where are they saying it. You are spreading a fairly serious allegation here, I'm curious as to where you heard this rumor that you have chosen to spread.

No you didn't say "people" are saying it, you specifically did not say who was saying it -- you said it was being said.

It is not a "hearsay" rumor. It was a news report from conde naste which is a BUSINESS NEWS source and a very reputable one.

It was a report of a direct statement made by the president of the owner of Bioware -- anything but a rumor.

I have looked at the Bioware site, and the dude was obfuscating, much as you often do. I understand why you are not into "proving" things, because you are out to spread innuendo and spin. What I still wonder is WHY you do this. I can't fathom your agenda.

Now, without further obfuscation, WHO is saying that the president of EA, the owner of Bioware, is guilty of breach of contract, and where are they saying it. You are spreading a fairly serious allegation here, I'm curious as to where you heard this rumor that you have chosen to spread.

lmao whatever

you have your fun but here is what is in my head and now you can have fun with that

a) I think a star wars MMORPG is being made

b) I think that what is happening with the "leak" was in fact a publicity stunt

c) I went to a bioware forum and read some info in a thread that was retitled about it being a "rumour" when at first he thought it was fact.  I'm sure you found the thread its not a large forum

that's it

no words between any lines that you think you see

I have spit out what is in my head for you to read.  You can argu that I dont think that but it will not change that fact that this is what I think and what i have said.  Maybe you dont agree but that is what I am saying.  

now i'm not going to argue about what you think i am doing any further that's for you to fight and argue with yourself.  I'm here to just talk about some games.  I'm not here for any other reason. 

Its just uncanny

where is the "liar" guy

WHERE IS HE I KNOW HE IS HERE lmao way funny

now if you can't see what i have written on that page for what it IS and not what you WANT it to be that is your fault not mine

i have said that I think that the problem is is that people aer saying its unethical

I think its a publicity stunt but have not said that yet.  

now go to it tear it apart unlike last week I wont be indulging you :)

i'm not here to have you accuse me of things I'm here to have a conversation about a game that looks like its going to be launched in the new year (i hope).

lmao whatever
    you have your fun but here is what is in my head and now you can have fun with that
    c) I went to a bioware forum and read some info in a thread that was retitled about it being a "rumour" when at first he thought it was fact.  I'm sure you found the thread its not a large forum
    that's it
    I have spit out what is in my head for you to read.  You can argu that I dont think that but it will not change that fact that this is what I think and what i have said.  Maybe you dont agree but that is what I am saying.  
    now i'm not going to argue about what you think i am doing any further that's for you to fight and argue with yourself.  I'm here to just talk about some games.  I'm not here for any other reason. 
    Its just uncanny
    where is the "liar" guy
     now if you can't see what i have written on that page for what it IS and not what you WANT it to be that is your fault not mine
    i have said that I think that the problem is is that people aer saying its unethical
    i'm not here to have you accuse me of things I'm here to have a conversation about a game that looks like its going to be launched in the new year (i hope).

It doesn't seem like you want to have a conversation; it appears you want to say things that don't make any sense; then you state what you claim to believe that has nothing to do with what you said that was bizarre previously, then you get all defensive about the whole thing. Very strange indeed.

lmao whatever

that's it

Its just uncanny

where is the "liar" guy

It doesn't seem like you want to have a conversation; it appears you want to say things that don't make any sense; then you state what you claim to believe that has nothing to do with what you said that was bizarre previously, then you get all defensive about the whole thing. Very strange indeed.

I'm having conversations you like to do battle.   I'm not interested in doing battle only the basic conversation.  You spend a lot of time doing battle with many.  Maybe if people just stopped twisting words and demanding then it would be much more pleasant.   But when someone reads stuff and then says they read it and then it must be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt with links it becomes more then a converstaion.  It becomes a battle.  Then the insults start usualy i am delusional or something as you always insert a derogatory word or statement somewhere along the line usualy meant as a put down and to put yourself above the poster.  Quite frankly I tired of that last week when I asked people to back down and just talk for a change.   So that's right when it appears another battle is about to begin as in this case with the demans for links I end it because no i'm not interested in anything then just casual conversation.  In this case its ALL rumours anyhow what everyone is saying and nothing can be proven period.   So the demands for proof are in fact out of place and just an attempt to escalate a conversation beyind the original intent of the poster to turn it into something else.   Sorry battle is not something I'm willing to do on this board any longer as quite frankly its out of hand.

lmao whatever
    that's it
    Its just uncanny
    where is the "liar" guy

I'm having conversations you like to do battle.   I'm not interested in doing battle only the basic conversation.  You spend a lot of time doing battle with many.  Maybe if people just stopped twisting words and demanding then it would be much more pleasant.   But when someone reads stuff and then says they read it and then it must be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt with links it becomes more then a converstaion.  It becomes a battle.  Then the insults start usualy i am delusional or something as you always insert a derogatory word or statement somewhere along the line usualy meant as a put down and to put yourself above the poster.  Quite frankly I tired of that last week when I asked people to back down and just talk for a change.   So that's right when it appears another battle is about to begin as in this case with the demans for links I end it because no i'm not interested in anything then just casual conversation.  In this case its ALL rumours anyhow what everyone is saying and nothing can be proven period.   So the demands for proof are in fact out of place and just an attempt to escalate a conversation beyind the original intent of the poster to turn it into something else.   Sorry battle is not something I'm willing to do on this board any longer as quite frankly its out of hand.

Hmmm seems you think being disagreed with is a challenge to do battle, and that making things up is having a conversation. We'll have to agree to disagree. Also, it is amusing that you speak of insults when you are the one, at least between you and I, that throws the insults around. Then you cry when you get whooped.

Carry on, either way.