Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Like FFXI?

2»

Comments

• DeathknightkDeathknightk Member Posts: 41

If Aion takes the goodness in FFXI and leave 1/2 the bad in FFXI it would be enogh for me to play it for at least 3 years

P.S

I wish they apply a job system like FFXI but it seems like a dream with the game being so close to release

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303
    Originally posted by PyroAmos

from the gameplay videos it looks like its more in line with lin2 combat style rather than a wow death in 2 seconds style, but, we wont really know until we get to beta it.

WoW isn't really that bad anymore.  Pre-BC geared chars, particularly mages and rogues of certain specs, could simply one-shot undergeared 60's.  This was achieved by getting a critical with certain very powerful abilities.  This was made even worse by the fact that both of those specs could open with a CC to incapacitate the target, pop their talent CD for a guaranteed crit, then finish the person off with one strike.  Even if this method wasn't used, geared characters would still completely dominate newbies.  Sometimes fights would simply be very unfun non-fights for the person on the receiving end.

That's why Bliz implemented resilience and started stacking sta on PvP gear in huge amounts.  They also made baseline PvP gear relatively easy to acquire.  End result?  Unless one sucks, two geared characters is rarely a clean encounter with one simply dominating the other.  Even 100>0 Stunlock is impossible on a target in heavy PvP gear, unless they completely suck, even if they don't trinket out.  Yeah, getting stunlocked at the opening of a fight hurts quite a bit, but it's not impossible to avoid, and it's not impossible to recover from.

So yeah, you still get the occasional one-sided fight in WoW.  If I end up fighting a 70 in full greens (essentially the lowest quality items, meaning they probably just reached 70), the chances of me losing are essentially nil.  Most 70's who PvP are wearing PvP gear, though.

• CereoCereo Member Posts: 551

While I like the idea of "forced" grouping, it doesn't work so well. Now if you just hit a button like in BG and got partied with the first 5 people that are trying to do the area and then you all are teleported there and do it, that works. Have to say "LF Healer" and "LF Tank" and "LF1M DPS" for 45mins, and then having to get to the spot and figure everything out, you just spent an hour doing virutally nothing.

I don't mind wasting my life playing a video game, but I do mind wasting my life standing around jumping in circles, waiting to play. AKA, I got to level 13 in FFXI and quit, don't have time for that and I hope they never make another game with that forced grouping unless its easily accessible to do. And its really sad because if I had endless time, FFXI seemed quite amazing.

• DraganceDragance Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Cereo

While I like the idea of "forced" grouping, it doesn't work so well. Now if you just hit a button like in BG and got partied with the first 5 people that are trying to do the area and then you all are teleported there and do it, that works. Have to say "LF Healer" and "LF Tank" and "LF1M DPS" for 45mins, and then having to get to the spot and figure everything out, you just spent an hour doing virutally nothing.
    I don't mind wasting my life playing a video game, but I do mind wasting my life standing around jumping in circles, waiting to play. AKA, I got to level 13 in FFXI and quit, don't have time for that and I hope they never make another game with that forced grouping unless its easily accessible to do. And its really sad because if I had endless time, FFXI seemed quite amazing.

i see where u coming from because it was a bitch to level up, but when u c that "Dragance gained level 75" you feel so achieved. so even with the 2 years i spent getting to 75, i loved it to death.

• Rio_AionRio_Aion Member Posts: 34

This made me lol!  I played ffxi for 4 years on the Caitsith server.  I decided I was just too addicted and needed to stop before the latest expansion came out.  I have tried a few other MMO's to repace ffxi but I haven't really found anything that has held my attention.  I also enjoyed the need to work together and that is what is making it so hard to find another MMO that satisfies.  I went from L2 to Tabula Rasa and most recently quit AoC.  AoC almost did it for me but the game just lacked that deeply fantasized world that I have come to enjoy.  I have come across more ffxi players than anyone else while navigating the forums and chating with my guild.  I sure hope the ffxi vets can accept that this game won't be ffxi , but it will be fun!

Aionelysium.com

That is our problem us FFXI Vets , we aim too high because we played a great game for a long time. I guess the only company that is going to give us another FFXI is S,E with the new ( Codename Rapture)

no news yet of the game but from what i have read Rapture is in almost in alpha stage or maybe it will be beta soon , the consept video looked great and FFXI ish

Concept video?  Got a link? I would sure appreciate it ^_^

Aionelysium.com

Originally posted by Rio_Aion

Concept video?  Got a link? I would sure appreciate it ^_^

here ya go

Oh yeah, I've seen that.  It isn't confirmed that this video is related to the new MMO though right?  Even still, everytime I see it, it brings me back to the good ole' days.  I will like AIon im sure, but no game will stop me from playing the new SE MMO ^_^

Aionelysium.com

It is Confirmed from S,E to be the new MMO Concept Video , What is not confirmed thogh is that will it be another FFXI or dragon quest MMO.

If it has Jobs and HNM it will sure be my most anticipated MMO , Till then I have WAR , Aion and PS3 to kill my time

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Hmmm I thought that 'trailer' was just a Square Enix demo for the 360. And not actual pre alpha footage of anything, there will be another SE MMO, but yeah we don't know what exactly. Dragon Quest MMO was the last I heard. Guess it's worth another look into it.

EDIT: Could not find a single piece of official word on what the game is, they just don't say. BUT! There will be a few juicy tid bits to be learned at Leipzig.. So maybe we'll hear more about it then.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• alin1209alin1209 Member UncommonPosts: 61

OP make some research first before you post and i will help you to doo soo .Here i will post some sites to help you.

http://www.aionsource.com/

http://aion.curse.com/

Inform yourself before posting!

Just stay still,dont move and i will be quick.I am here for Sparta and i will have my bloodbath!!!!

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by alin1209

OP make some research first before you post and i will help you to doo soo .Here i will post some sites to help you.
    http://www.aionsource.com/
    http://aion.curse.com/
     Inform yourself before posting!

OK I usually agree with these, and make statements like them myself, but in this case I'm not sure it's deserved.... OP didn't make any silly misconceived comment, he was asking a question or a verification on what he had heard.

*chill pill*

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• C-L-I-C-KC-L-I-C-K Member UncommonPosts: 21

If Aion can somehow combine FFXI's social aspects, PvE content, and other positives (such as job system, economy, crafting, etc.) with AoC's PvP combat system (which is unbalanced but very fun and NO AUTO-ATTACKS), along with Guild War's PvP mini games system and good PvP class balance, then we have a near-perfect MMO.

Hoping for all of this is just a dream though. I don't think there will ever be another MMO nearly as good as FFXI was (minus the grinding, greed, drama, and RMT issues).

• DawnJWDawnJW Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by C-L-I-C-K

If Aion can somehow combine FFXI's social aspects, PvE content, and other positives (such as job system, economy, crafting, etc.) with AoC's PvP combat system (which is unbalanced but very fun and NO AUTO-ATTACKS), along with Guild War's PvP mini games system and good PvP class balance, then we have a near-perfect MMO.

Hoping for all of this is just a dream though. I don't think there will ever be another MMO nearly as good as FFXI was (minus the grinding, greed, drama, and RMT issues).

I Aggree with you C-L-I-C-K. But no Mini Games, that is something that didn't make it in my way. More PvE is good in Aion, but Aion is still a PvP Game.

Cheers,

Dawn

• LoopsLoops Member Posts: 100

I hope theres gonna heaps of end-game stuff like they have in FFXI. They keep adding more and more to FFXI, I kinda like it. Hope AION has some stuff like that.

• FiresealMMOFiresealMMO Member Posts: 54

At any point were there any mention that Aion would allow to change job/class at any time just like in FFXI? That's one thing that kept me playing FFXI, you could be whatever role you wanted to be, but damm it took a very long time to lvl up all those jobs. Last time I played was before ToAU expansion and all of my jobs were between lvl 40-50, I could always get into a party because of my flexibility.

But in the end result I was pretty battle hardened being able to survive though the Valkurm Dune 15 times(remember, before ToAU) and pretty much numb to the possibly of having more than half of your party being noobs. I sometimes wonder whether or not I could've survived the dune even more had I stayed for the newer jobs.

One job I disliked playing was the Bard job, it was one job I felt very useless on those unfortunate occasions where I'd have to fend for myself as FFXI made it near impossible to solo for the casual gamer.

• WrithWrith Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by FiresealMMO

At any point were there any mention that Aion would allow to change job/class at any time just like in FFXI? That's one thing that kept me playing FFXI, you could be whatever role you wanted to be, but damm it took a very long time to lvl up all those jobs. Last time I played was before ToAU expansion and all of my jobs were between lvl 40-50, I could always get into a party because of my flexibility. Disliked the Bard job very much though... lol

Nope, one classes per character.

• FiresealMMOFiresealMMO Member Posts: 54

Awww that sucks. Oh well. As long as they keep those classes from lvl 1 till the max level. Know what I mean? Like some cheap asian mmorpgs have you start at one basic class, then at like lvl 10 or 15 you change to your first class, and then at like lvl 50 you get to pick an even more stronger class and then at lvl 90 you pick another stronger class.. Seems a little exagerated to me. :/

• DawnJWDawnJW Member Posts: 108

Awww that sucks. Oh well. As long as they keep those classes from lvl 1 till the max level. Know what I mean? Like some cheap asian mmorpgs have you start at one basic class, then at like lvl 10 or 15 you change to your first class, and then at like lvl 50 you get to pick an even more stronger class and then at lvl 90 you pick another stronger class.. Seems a little exagerated to me. :/

The Class Changes are typiccly something Asians. Aion is not Asians and not West Side. Maybe they will implant that in their First Expension or 2'nd. Much people do like WoW, because of the Basics, but if you've played Lineage II and know it it's much nicer then WoW! So what I'm trying to say: Possibility

Aion will build more to the Lineage II Style (Hardcore Gamers) in their 1'st / 2'nd Expension,

Cheers,

Dawn

• WrithWrith Member Posts: 85

In Aion you start out as a Warrior, Scout, Mage, or Priest. At level 10 you do diverge into one of the 8 actual classes. The change is more so a specialization.

Warriors become either Templar or Gladiators

Scouts become either Rangers or Assassins

Mages become either Sorcerers or Spirit Masters

Priests become either Clerics or Chanters

Beyond that, there is no change in your class, unless they sneak it in later.

At any point were there any mention that Aion would allow to change job/class at any time just like in FFXI? That's one thing that kept me playing FFXI, you could be whatever role you wanted to be, but damm it took a very long time to lvl up all those jobs. Last time I played was before ToAU expansion and all of my jobs were between lvl 40-50, I could always get into a party because of my flexibility.
    But in the end result I was pretty battle hardened being able to survive though the Valkurm Dune 15 times(remember, before ToAU) and pretty much numb to the possibly of having more than half of your party being noobs. I sometimes wonder whether or not I could've survived the dune even more had I stayed for the newer jobs.

One job I disliked playing was the Bard job, it was one job I felt very useless on those unfortunate occasions where I'd have to fend for myself as FFXI made it near impossible to solo for the casual gamer.

u were able to afford to get all those jobs up to level 40-50? i had a hard time getting paladin to 75, and warriror to 64.

{congradulations!}

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by Dragance

u were able to afford to get all those jobs up to level 40-50? i had a hard time getting paladin to 75, and warriror to 64.
    {congradulations!}

Yeah i hear that. That's why it took me about a year to get my first job to 75 was because of how expensive it was. When i finally got my first 75, got my crafting lvled, and gained some knowledge on how to make money the next 2 75s weren't that difficult. Even my third which was rng wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be when it was all said and done.

I am kind of a gear whorder though i never really threw anything away. I know a lot of people throw stuff away and it makes it easier to get that first job to 75 but im not one of them. Sad thing is now i have a bunch of gear i paid tons for that i dont really use and it would just hurt to sell it for 15% of what i paid for it.