Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Like FFXI?

InuakureiInuakurei Member Posts: 24

I heard Aion is supposed to be like FFXI in the way that most quest and leveling is done in a party father than soloing, is this true? (i hope so)

Comments

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

The game highly encourages partying, it doesn't enforce doing so though.

• WrithWrith Member Posts: 85

While there is a good deal of incentive to party in Aion soloing is still a viable option. Where as in FFXI, unless you were certain classes or of certain builds, soloing was a pipe dream. Depending on your outlook this can be a good or bad thing, I like not needing to group ALL the time to advance, that made FFXI grind to a halt at times.

• AidenKossoriAidenKossori Member Posts: 7

Honestly I enjoyed FFXI's incessant NEED for partying to progress in the game.

I mean the point of MMORPG's is to interact with the... MMO part of the actual game.

Final Fantasy XI definitely made it easier to mingle with the player base, which was not a problem as to manage to get through the unfriendly PlayOnline launcher, you know whoever in-game was fairly intelligent.

• InuakureiInuakurei Member Posts: 24

Yeah thats what i enjoyed about FFXI too. I play wow now since my FFXI account got stolen. wow is fun but im looking forward to Aion because i heard it was more team oriented than wow.

• user0996user0996 Member Posts: 12

As I understood it, the goal was to have it so anyone can solo to the level cap, but there are quests that will require a group and grouping up for exp will be faster (and safer) than if you soloed.  I also don't think the vast majority of the content that does need a group will need a full group

so... its llike wow

• user0996user0996 Member Posts: 12

It's like most other western MMOs.  Yes this does include WoW. ~.^

Note: This is one of the selling points of Aion.  A Korean MMO with western MMO features (content, less grind, mix of party/solo content, full crafting system, etc).

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

yeah its like WoW in a way.

ALOT better graphics and music though and less instanced.

what about gameplay typpe? FFXI was a kind of a slower game, with cast times, higher delay attacks, where as wow is faster. i dont know how to put it exactly but those of you who have played FFXI know what im talking about. Where does Aion stand with that?

• AidenKossoriAidenKossori Member Posts: 7

Though it's been awhile since I've played Final Fantasy XI, I know for a fact Aion has much faster gameplay than FFXI.

So much faster. FFXI was fairly slow, and with a High delay weapon? Oh boy. Missing on my Dark Knight with six or seven seconds inbetween swings made me want to break my keyboard over my knee.

• Wicked_EdgeWicked_Edge Member Posts: 176

Like I've said before (Based on my opinion only from videos), It looks like ffxi yet plays like World of Warcraft. That's why I'm so keen on getting my hands on this game. I loved both, so this game should be a no brainer.

---------------------------------
    UO - 4 years
    AC - 2 years
    AC2 - 6 months
    DAoC - 1 month
    FFXI - 7 months
    Diablo2 - 9 months
    Shadowbane - Beta Tested
    Lineage2 - Beta Tested
    Saga of Ryzom - Beta Tested
    Risk Your Life - Beta Tested
    World of Warcraft - Currently Playing
    mmoRPG'er since October 1997

But is it like wow? i mean, for example: in wow pvp i often die before i even know what hit me. No moves have any kind of casting time which makes the gameplay very fast. I guess i mean is it more like FFXI or WoW in the machanics, where as FFXI is more attacking and casting things with timing where as WoW is frantic running around and spamming skills.

*edit* also in wow in 1vs1fights running around is a basic part of the pvp, but in ffxi running around was basicly useless unless you used a stun attack or spell to run away

• Wicked_EdgeWicked_Edge Member Posts: 176

It's not mainly based on Wow. Just some little details I noticed like the hunter having traps and other similarities. The pvp in Aion is no way like the PvP in WoW. In aion it takes a lot more to kill a person. Where as in WoW a rogue can destroy u in a matter of seconds.

---------------------------------
    UO - 4 years
    AC - 2 years
    AC2 - 6 months
    DAoC - 1 month
    FFXI - 7 months
    Diablo2 - 9 months
    Shadowbane - Beta Tested
    Lineage2 - Beta Tested
    Saga of Ryzom - Beta Tested
    Risk Your Life - Beta Tested
    World of Warcraft - Currently Playing
    mmoRPG'er since October 1997

• PyroAmosPyroAmos Member Posts: 24

from the gameplay videos it looks like its more in line with lin2 combat style rather than a wow death in 2 seconds style, but, we wont really know until we get to beta it.

Check out my site - www.pyroamos.com

I really hope its not like wow pvp, i mean in battlegrounds most of the time i dont even know how i died i just see a bunch of numbers fly up out of nowhere. I think thats because in wow there arent too many animations for attacks. for example, my paladin spell holy shock, sounds pretty cool, but has almost no animation at all. all that happens is theres a very small spark on the target and it does damage. I like a game with more cool animations and such.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

The PvP is deffinetly unlike WoW's, sorry if I'm dissapointing somebody here.

Open world dynamics are completely different from battlegrounds, you don't know when you're going to pvp, unline in battlegrounds, where you are always ready to be hit by people, ganks might happen, some people dislike that, others think it's an adrenaline rush and a way to feel accomplished.

Then, the most common PvP will be in order to control a hunting zone, people will have to fight for mobs, mixing PvP with PvE has always been good in my book, this happens also with raid bosses, which aren't really hard to kill (except the epic ones), but who last a lot, increasing chances of PvP (factions might organize while a legion kills the boss to get it before they do).

Then we have fortresses, almost constant sieges where people gets to fight for their faction if they want to keep the profits the fortress is giving them. There is an abyss points system, where you can win, but also loose, specially if you die by a lower level character. Those abyss points will give you access to certain items and skills which cant be achieved in another way, also will give you access to the hero system, where, for a week, you become hero, being like a raid boss, able to wipe an entire party, but giving huge rewards if you get killed.

The PvP system in this game is going to be serious, like in almost every Korean game. They like competition a lot, as I personaly do.

Ahh that sounds good. i play on a pvp server on WoW so theres always a risk of being attacked, but from what i have seen it takes alot more to kill someone in Aion than WoW. also it kinda pisses me off that in WoW almost every class has some kind of healing magic and that classes can do so many things, like a paladin can tank, heal, or dps, kinda takes away from class origionality.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

That's awesome to hear. One of the things i miss about not playing L2 is when your camping a group of mobs trying to get your lvl and bam somebody starts attacking. You then go on and own them and two of there friends because they thought that because you were a dark elf sorcerer you would be easy to take down if there was 3 people. All the while your blood is pumping wildly and your adrenaline is flowing and your yelling at your clan on vent that you just single handedly took down 3 people with your weak a$$ lvl 50 dark elf sorcerer that you were re-rolling.

• dyakk13dyakk13 Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by k11keeper

That's awesome to hear. One of the things i miss about not playing L2 is when your camping a group of mobs trying to get your lvl and bam somebody starts attacking. You then go on and own them and two of there friends because they thought that because you were a dark elf sorcerer you would be easy to take down if there was 3 people. All the while your blood is pumping wildly and your adrenaline is flowing and your yelling at your clan on vent that you just single handedly took down 3 people with your weak a$$ lvl 50 dark elf sorcerer that you were re-rolling.

Lol.

Current: [none]
    Waiting for: TERA

• dirtyklingondirtyklingon Member Posts: 158

dark elves were storm howlers, sorcerers were human ^^ XD

aion bring me back the good ol pvpve feelin. ^^

when someone rolls into my hunting grounds, if they can't ask for space politely, i have no problem learnin them a lesson in manners. >.>

KERPLAH!

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I only played FF for a short period of time as it just didnt fit my play times and I pray to god Aion isnt group only having a 9 month old daughter she dictates my playtimes and she is generallly ok but odd occasion when teething she is up every hr or so,  so having a game youcan dive on for 30-45 mins and do a little bit of soloing is good for me.

TBH it was the reason I quit VG I just couldnt spend 1-2 hrs LFG for Daughter to then wake up and have to leave and soloing in VG wasnt realy a option.

• dyakk13dyakk13 Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by dirtyklingon

dark elves were storm howlers, sorcerers were human ^^ XD
    aion bring me back the good ol pvpve feelin. ^^
    when someone rolls into my hunting grounds, if they can't ask for space politely, i have no problem learnin them a lesson in manners. >.>

By any chance, do you mean teaching?

Current: [none]
    Waiting for: TERA

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852
    Originally posted by PyroAmos

from the gameplay videos it looks like its more in line with lin2 combat style rather than a wow death in 2 seconds style, but, we wont really know until we get to beta it.

I hope not, i remember Hawkeyes and some Mages 1 hit kill me with crits.

• ClownicanClownican Member Posts: 1

I played FFXI for 4 years. The number one thing that kept me playing was the fact that I could use a controller. I grew up on Consoles... my typing skills are not good, using a keyboard for me is difficult. I liked the slow pace of FFXI I could sit back and relax while I was playing it. But I have yet to find an MMO that I'm not sitting here hunched over because I gotta use this damn keyboard. Also I have yet to play an MMO where the animations where as good as FFXI. I've played WoW, EQ2, LOTRO, Lineage II, City Of Heroes, Earth and Beyond, Vanguard, Guild Wars and pretty much every free-to-play MMO there is.  I guess I gotta face defeat. My keyboard OWNED me.

• DraganceDragance Member Posts: 90

I for sure hope it is.

that was the original reason i got into aion. it looked like (and in some ways better) than FFXI. the music is pretty good also.

what im hoping is that the story line will be really good, like the FFXI story line which was absoloutly amazing. and the music for FFXI made u feel so pumped in whatever u did, and it matched the situation perfectly each time. The PvE end-game was extremely hard, but u felt so acomplished when u got that one item that u can now go get a group and pop the monster hopefully kill, and HOPEFULLY get the drop. lol but i kid.

i know im putting aion up to a lot, but it seems like it will fill it.