Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Top Secret MMO

duffalphaduffalpha Member Posts: 76

Diablo 3 has been announced, and there are still job listings for a new MMO On Blizzards website.  Since we can rule out Diablo and Warcraft, does this mean we have a Starcraft MMO coming our way? I realize there has been some talk about this, but not since the Diablo 3 announcement.

I also so alot of people who say that Blizzard stated it would be a new IP. Does anyone have a link to the statement?

Comments

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Well blizzard have 3 games gunning for release somthing like;

4Q 2008 - wotlk

2Q 2009 - Starcraft 2 ( yeah baby)

2010? - Diablo3

So I dont expect the MMO they are working on to be release atleast untill 2011, Blizzard typicaly announce their games around 2 years from release, so we might hear somthing at Blizzcon this year in October.. failing that we'll have to wait another year till WWI in 2009.  I dont beelive it will be announced this year theres already plenty of games and news to keep Blizzard on the front pages for the next year.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Well, apparently it wasn't Diablo 3.  Too bad.

Still, anyone have any ideas what they might be working on?

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

In an interview some blizz representative said they are not working on a new IP. But they are open to the idea, maybe sometime in the future.

I think the new MMO is going to be WoW 2.

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

I read in Pc gamer that it won't be a wow 2. It will be an entire new game.

so i hope they wont go with the cartoonish style and such. Wow has made them pretty secure in income. They can go wild imo :p

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

Lets pray they wont release that foolish failure of a game called Starcraft in a new edition, that would really top even what Funcom has done with AoC, omg !

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926
    Originally posted by Mitara

Lets pray they wont release that foolish failure of a game called Starcraft in a new edition, that would really top even what Funcom has done with AoC, omg !

Obvious troll is obvious.

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

My Money's on "The Lost Vikings" MMO or perhaps Rock N' Roll Racing MMO :p

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• feacfeac Member UncommonPosts: 127

quote from frank pearce (blizz co-founder)

VideoGamer.com: Is there potential for the StarCraft universe to branch out into other areas, like MMOs or even a console game that might be a shooter?

BC: Like a third-person shooter? (Laughs).

FP: Yeah StarCraft Ghost was something that we were working on that got shelved. Yeah the StarCraft universe is really rich, and it's got a lot of cool stuff in it that could be leveraged for any number of different genres. A big factor would be what the development teams want to work on. When the StarCraft 2 team is done with StarCraft 2, a factor is what they want to work on next, because the development teams plays a big role in deciding what they're going to do. So if there was a development team that was really passionate about leveraging the StarCraft universe for a different genre then that's something we would seriously consider.

source: http://www.videogamer.com/pc/starcraft_2/preview-1164.html

that secret project (hydra)  has been going on for a few years now and knowing blizz we wont know what it is until beta hits :)

I think Blizzard owes it to the fanbase to give some hints as to what this project might be, at least what genre it lies in. 

If I like fantasy MMO's, and the new project is a space MMO, then I know not to get my hopes up.  But if I wait two years, hoping that this will be "the game", I could be in for a let-down.

C'mon, Blizzard, give us a clue.

• ipod80gbipod80gb Member Posts: 90

i hope its starcraft mmorpg..

• ZANGFEIZANGFEI Member Posts: 439

Bugsbunny and Roadrunner go Freeriders.

• RaugeRauge Member Posts: 22

Some advice blizzard.

Go with an "M" Rating! MORE BLOOD AND GUTS!

• repapipsrepapips Member Posts: 450

Upon reading the previous post it excites me bigtime!!!

Wow is fantastic.. what about this secret game? does this game will dethrone Wow?

hmmm... we'll see

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

Hopefully, it will be their first MMO with some quality

• illincruxillincrux Member Posts: 15

This is just a wild guess,

But I think there may be a pattern to the way they are doing things:

Warcraft I, Warcraft II, Warcraft III, WOW

Diablo I, Diablo II, Diablo III, WOD

Starcraft I, Starcraft II, Starcraft III, WOS

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by illincrux

This is just a wild guess,

But I think there may be a pattern to the way they are doing things:

Warcraft I, Warcraft II, Warcraft III, WOW
    Diablo I, Diablo II, Diablo III, WOD
    Starcraft I, Starcraft II, Starcraft III, WOS

Totally agree. We will see Diablo turn into a mmo as well as Starcraft. Even if WOW falters some it will not matter, millions will come play DIablo and a Starcraft mmo if that ever happens.

• illincruxillincrux Member Posts: 15

I guess I'm not the only one,

*So here are my personal estimates on blizzards' release dates:

warcraft I 1994

warcraft II 1995

warcraft III 2002

World of Warcraft 2004

Diablo I 1997

Diablo II 2000

Diablo III ETA* late 2009-2010

Diablo MMOG ETA* 2015

Starcraft I 1998

Starcraft II 2009

Starcraft III ETA* 2013-14

Starcraft MMOG ETA* 2018-2020 (imo, 2020 would be the perfect release date...)

And then looking even further down the road:

World of Warcraft 2 ETA* 2025

Diablo MMOG 2 ETA* 2030

Starcraft MMOG 2 ETA* 2035

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

Whatever the game is I hope its gonna be amazing.

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660
    Originally posted by Mitara

Congrats that' probably the dumbest post i've seen on these forums, saying starcraft was a failure is like saying macs were a failure sure its not everybody that plays it but a lot of ppl still have em, and Steve looks like hes rich enough.

There is your troll award

Concerning the op they will not make a wow2 because that would be stealing players from their main game, a eve like mmo with starcraft lore could be an option because making a wow like would make blizzard look lazy and there arn't many decent space mmos atm. And a Diablo mmo sounds vry stupid, realeasing it after diablo 3 would just be too much diablo for a crowd that's use to see a new blizzard game come out every 5 years.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• SajTSajT Member Posts: 24

I was sceptical towards those who thought the next MMO from blizzard would be based on the Diablo lore, with D3 announced I really can't see why some still believe this? The Diablo setting is a fantasy one afterall and it would be hard to distinguish from WoW, with D3 to be released it just makes it ever more so unlikely to happen.

I think Starcraft Universe is the most likely option, although I can see why some think it wouldn't translate well into a MMO. That being said I think that Blizzard if anyone could pull it through, I wouldn't be surprised to see two player factions, the protoss and terrans. That would leave plenty of PvP possibilities, yet both would have a common enemy, the zerg. There's also lots of other factions that could be made into content, for instance terran rebels and rogue protoss. I can easily see Blizzard expanding their arsenal of critters into fully fledged monsters.

Main question for me would be wether it'd be skill based or a FPS, knowing Blizz I think they'd go skillbased but from what we've seen so far skillbased shooters can be quite booring. Possibly we could see a hybrid between the two, like in Hellgate. I found it to be quite an enjoyable way of doing things.

- The two other options in my mind for Blizz new MMO would be WoW II or something outside of Blizzard's IP. A far out and crazy idea would be a game based on 'Lost Vikings', but that's not very likely to happen.

• SlovencSlovenc Member Posts: 290

what if they are making warhammer 40 k lol that would be rich xD

I just hope whatever they deliver isn't another tongue-in-cheek, easy-mode, quest-driven crapfest like WOW.

With WOW, they truly made a silk purse out of a pig's ear.  If only they had put that polish and effort into a more serious fantasy world with more freedom and with consequences for dying.  Many would be in the game now instead of on these boards.

• NoimiNoimi Member Posts: 76

Does anyone else think that maybe, just maybe, it could possibly be an original IP and not based off one of their previous series'? I mean, its been a while since they've done anything -new- aside from sequals and expansions, its about time.

• IchabodCraneIchabodCrane Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Noimi

Does anyone else think that maybe, just maybe, it could possibly be an original IP and not based off one of their previous series'? I mean, its been a while since they've done anything -new- aside from sequals and expansions, its about time.

I agree...but I really hope that it is in a fantasy setting. I mean what happens once WoW starts to get old for the majority? They are going to have all these bored people...other companies coming out with new and more interesting fantasy MMOs...and they'll be stuck with WoW. I hope that their secret MMO is a next gen FANTASY MMORPG.

Played: Runescape, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning