Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 Killer

Comments

• aeric67aeric67 Member UncommonPosts: 798

WoW has problems besides the graphics. So does EQ2, but why are we so sure the next big MMORPG won't have all the same lack of appeal to people like you? Why keep chasing this thing that may never happen?

There has to be a time when you ask yourself, "Am I burned out?"

You know, it helps to exercise moderately while you are on an MMORPG bender. I am not joking! Just do about 20 minutes of anything that makes you breath hard... Lift weights, sit-ups, push-ups, whatever. A lot of this attitude stems from a depressed mood caused by being catatonic in front of a computer for 8 hours a day.

EDIT: Especially true when you used to love MMORPGs, but now you find nothing but problems with them. Growing up also does this, LOL!

• jmd10222jmd10222 Member Posts: 427
    people really need to keep an eye on vanguard. if you liked the ORIGINAL EQ im talking Verant EQ not SoE EQ (which almost everyone does or did) this game just might bring back that old EQ magic. Sigil Ent. has ALOT of huge talant and money to spend. Go the the Sigil homepage read up on the company. It just might open your eyes to their vison which is bold and solidly based on the customer not $$$.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by n2sooners
    Vanguard will be hardcore, EQ2 will be more casual. Vanguard could really hammer EQ and it will probably hit WoW harder than it hits EQ2.

Odd, isn't everyone saying EQ2 is the hardcore game and that WoW is the casual game because its so "easy"?

Now EQ2 is casual cause Vanguard is gonna be hardcore? I think I will wait to see vanguard final. EQ II completely changed faces several times on what it was gonna be during development.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• FeyshteyFeyshtey Member UncommonPosts: 137

Originally posted by Fadeus
    Originally posted by n2sooners
    Vanguard will be hardcore, EQ2 will be more casual. Vanguard could really hammer EQ and it will probably hit WoW harder than it hits EQ2.

Odd, isn't everyone saying EQ2 is the hardcore game and that WoW is the casual game because its so "easy"?

Now EQ2 is casual cause Vanguard is gonna be hardcore? I think I will wait to see vanguard final. EQ II completely changed faces several times on what it was gonna be during development.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

Comparitively, I suspect that VSOH will be hardcare next to most other games. Including EQ2.

They've stated repeatedly that travel will be an integral part of the game. That there will be raid content, and that there will be heavy emphasis on grouping, community building, and interdependence. Read what you like into that, but....

-Feyshtey-

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by Coffinsnake
    but i think WOW is going to kill all of them.

yea, the sheep usualy stick with the flock.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

• Laurin.Laurin. Member Posts: 3

Since i played both of the "casual" games in beta i hope they get both killed by vanguard.

• TheRedDreadTheRedDread Member UncommonPosts: 158

I want to try out Vanguard more than other beta games out there. The screenshots provided are awesome. I hope the gameplay will be flawless too.

There is a really really really nice Vid imageimage here : http://www.stratics.com/content/portals/vanguard/content/multimedia/movies/

imageimageimageimage

Originally posted by Laurin.
    There is a really really really nice Vid imageimage here : http://www.stratics.com/content/portals/vanguard/content/multimedia/movies/
    imageimageimageimage

Sweet movie, thank you for the link Laurin. ::::28::

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

There is a nice remix done by a fansite of this vid too. Get it here :

http://vanguard.okratas.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=80&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0

I personally like the original more, but the remix is nice alsoimage

• cedoricedori Member Posts: 500

It's hard to say, but with major designers that came from SOE, they seem to be doing a great job.  Although until the game is released, its way too early to tell.  Each game will have bad and good quality about it, just depends on how many are enjoying that particular game.

Cheers

• RegusRegus Member Posts: 489
    They have the "help" of microsoft so that can be a good and bad thing at the same time, untill now it seems it was a good deal and i just hope microsoft gives money and don't push them so the give a buggy release but before this one goes gold a lot of time will pass. There still is a very long time before beta begins i reckon. Game looks promissing too as a PvE oriented game.

One day all will die, surely you but never I.

"One day all will die, surely you but never I." Wheel of Time

• DarkbackwardDarkbackward Member Posts: 115
    All Vanguard has to do is NOT suck, like eq2.

Wicca wicca boom boom wicca wicca boom

Type Seed Game into your search engine. Go to the game's website and learn about it. It may be the best game you've continued to ignore.

EQ2 is already dead....they just dont know it yetimageimageimageimageimage

Originally posted by jmd10222

<laughing> horribly dead, so much so they are doing server splits and added twice the servers from launch. Its just SO dead! ::::12::

- Scaris

• juceejucee Member Posts: 1

I agree with the guy who said eq2 is dead. Eq2 is dead, and god bless

Originally posted by Fadeus

<laughing> horribly dead, so much so they are doing server splits and added twice the servers from launch. Its just SO dead! ::::12::

Twice the servers from launch.?.?. i would really hope so since they had so few at launch, and the fact that so many people pre ordered the game and sony launch so few servers they had no choice, because the lag in the citys was murder.image

Originally posted by Fadeus Originally posted by jmd10222EQ2 is already dead....they just dont know it yetimageimageimageimageimage <laughing> horribly dead, so much so they are doing server splits and added twice the servers from launch. Its just SO dead! Twice the servers from launch.?.?. i would really hope so since they had so few at launch, and the fact that so many people pre ordered the game and sony launch so few servers they had no choice, because the lag in the citys was murder.image

Lag in cities? Don't have that problem sorry. I get alittle stutter when I walk into a full room from empty area, thats about it.

So let me get this straight, you say its a dead game, yet you now say you would hope they have doubled servers since launch cause they didnt have enough? I really think you better get your story straight. And actually they have well more then doubled them since launch now.

- Scaris

• aeric67aeric67 Member UncommonPosts: 798

I think the "help" from Microsoft will be a good thing. Every Microsoft-published game in recent memory that I've played has been top quality. People love to hate MS, but they know what they are doing.

EDIT: And damn, who resurrected this thread? It's got a post in it from me saying that WoW has problems besides its graphics! WoW what was I thinking? Just goes to show what I will say when I've spent $90 on the wrong game!

EDIT 2: Oh and I have high hopes for Vanguard. Friend of mine works for Microsoft and is buddies with a few MS Games UI guys. He says they tell him Brad and company are making a masterpiece. But my high hopes have been wrong before... Such is life.

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

So what WAS EQ1 like before SoE? I didn't try it till PoP, so I have no idea whatsoever. What changed?

• Originally posted by Darkmastersh

Hello, i waited this game for so long
    Do you think Vanguard will kill EverQuest 2?
    BTW im the first person in this forum image 

This was posted over 1/2 year ago, but I am sure there will be more new threads on this same subject. The FACT is this:

1. The MIGHTY VANGUARD is not even in Alpha. It is of course not even in Beta.

2. Vanguard is a solid 3 years away from even being released.

3. EQ2 is going on its 1 year annaversary. EQ2 cost 25 million to make. EQ2 has over 300k accounts. EQ2 is not only a success, it is a runaway hit success!!! 

4. This all means there is no chance at all for Vanguard, or any other game, to kill off EQ2. Even if EQ2 went down to 50k players, it will still be a success. By the time Vanguard releases, EQ2 will be 3-4 years old! EQ3 will be ready to be developled!!! The intended  shelf life of a MMORPG is 5 years. EQ2 will not be Vanguards ONLY competition to worry about. Every single other old D&D themed MMORPG, as well as all other new D7D themed MMORPG.

image image image image image image image image

-Personal Website (A Work still in progress):
    http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html

-AC, AC2, AO, EQ, Freelancer, SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

-More SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/captain_sica_xol

-More EQ, Dungeon Siege, *UXO*, Diablo II:Lords of Destruction:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

-EverQuest II, Horizons:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01

-EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

-DAoC
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives02

-Coming sooner or later... CoH, WoW, MXO, UO, GW, As3, RS

Originally posted by xplororor
    Originally posted by Darkmastersh
    Hello, i waited this game for so long
    Do you think Vanguard will kill EverQuest 2?
    BTW im the first person in this forum image
    This was posted over 1/2 year ago, but I am sure there will be more new threads on this same subject. The FACT is this:
    3. EQ2 is going on its 1 year annaversary. EQ2 cost 25 million to make. EQ2 has over 300k accounts. EQ2 is not only a success, it is a runaway hit success!!!
    4. This all means there is no chance at all for Vanguard, or any other game, to kill off EQ2. Even if EQ2 went down to 50k players, it will still be a success. By the time Vanguard releases, EQ2 will be 3-4 years old! EQ3 will be ready to be developled!!! The intended shelf life of a MMORPG is 5 years. EQ2 will not be Vanguards ONLY competition to worry about. Every single other old D&D themed MMORPG, as well as all other new D7D themed MMORPG.

image image image image image image image image
    -Personal Website (A Work still in progress):http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html
    -AC, AC2, AO, EQ, Freelancer, SWG:http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor
    -More SWG:http://community.webshots.com/user/captain_sica_xol
    -More EQ, Dungeon Siege, *UXO*, Diablo II:Lords of Destruction:http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01
    -EverQuest II, Horizons:http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01
    -EVE Online !!!http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01
    -DAoChttp://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives02-Coming sooner or later... CoH, WoW, MXO, UO, GW, As3, RS

Actually they will probably be well past first year of development of EQ III unless they sit on it too long.

- Scaris

• FeyshteyFeyshtey Member UncommonPosts: 137

Originally posted by xplororor

4. This all means there is no chance at all for Vanguard, or any other game, to kill off EQ2. Even if EQ2 went down to 50k players, it will still be a success. By the time Vanguard releases, EQ2 will be 3-4 years old! EQ3 will be ready to be developled!!! The intended shelf life of a MMORPG is 5 years. EQ2 will not be Vanguards ONLY competition to worry about. Every single other old D&D themed MMORPG, as well as all other new D7D themed MMORPG.

At the time of your posting (3/28/05) Vanguard is not 3 years from release. I don't know where you got that impression, but I would bet real money that you're about 2 years off (give or take).

We've been told quite recently that we can expect a flood of information from right before E3, and a continuation of new information flow after. We've also been told that beta will likely be 'a few months' after E3 of `05, and that they've eluded to a beta of between 6 and 9 months in length.

And personally, I wouldn't call 200k subs a runaway hit success. More like, a product likely to recoup it's costs. At 25mil dev cost, they have to sell half a million boxes at $50 a pop..... Subscriptions are the profit margin. If you have to pay for the dev with subscriptions, your product doesn't become profitable for months.

-Feyshtey-

Originally posted by Feyshtey
    Originally posted by xplororor This was posted over 1/2 year ago, but I am sure there will be more new threads on this same subject. The FACT is this:

At the time of your posting (3/28/05) Vanguard is not 3 years from release. I don't know where you got that impression, but I would bet real money that you're about 2 years off (give or take).

We've been told quite recently that we can expect a flood of information from right before E3, and a continuation of new information flow after. We've also been told that beta will likely be 'a few months' after E3 of `05, and that they've eluded to a beta of between 6 and 9 months in length.

And personally, I wouldn't call 200k subs a runaway hit success. More like, a product likely to recoup it's costs. At 25mil dev cost, they have to sell half a million boxes at $50 a pop..... Subscriptions are the profit margin. If you have to pay for the dev with subscriptions, your product doesn't become profitable for months.

And you wouldn't call a product that becomes profit after a few months success? Considering how strong EQ 1 is running I would say they are expecting plenty of profit then by just what your saying, using your perspective on it.

EQ II's numbers aren't currently ground breaking but I think you aren't giving enough credit either.

- Scaris

• SkarsTZSkarsTZ Member Posts: 78

I don't think it is really fair at all to call EQ2 a failure. Sure, it hasn't got the same sort of numbers WoW has but no mmorpgs will ( bar asian ones ;p ) At last check they had 350k subs, that's not a failure.

And as Feyshtey pointed out Vanguard is a lot closer than 3 years away. I'm personally predicting middle of 2006 but we will see.