Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game actuly fun?

Im now level 23 and waiting for the team play to kick, but i barly have any spirit to continue on. i think there is far to much solo content (Teamplay is fun for me)... sould i continue questing? and will it become difrent better later on? Or will the game stay the way all the way to level 80? or are dungeons so amazing that its realy worth staying? or is the endgame pvp so great to keep playing?

I would like to know....

Playing: World of Warcraft.
Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

Comments

• SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952
    Originally posted by AckbarNL

Im now level 23 and waiting for the team play to kick, but i barly have any spirit to continue on. i think there is far to much solo content... sould i continue questing? and will it become difrent better later on? Or will the game stay the way all the way to level 80? or are dungeons so amazing that its realy worth staying? or is the endgame pvp so great to keep playing?
    I would like to know....

There are lots of group quests later on in the game, but the problem is that most people don't even do them, due to the rewards being meaningless (most of the time) and how aggravating it is to kill epic mobs that respawn in 2 minutes.

And the dungeons are not amazing in this game, actually IMO they feel totally half assed.  I never made it to endgame but I've heard from some people that it's fun, but others say it's completely unbalanced and not so fun. If you're getting bored at level 23, I would probably recommend to just stop playing.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

i played upto lvl 57 and while there are some group oriented areas nobody really wanted to group.  I understand that around 60 AE groups are popular but I never was in one.

---
    Ethion

• demo3210demo3210 Member Posts: 112

I'm level 76 and I can tell you that I'm having a great time.  I highly highly recommend getting into a guild and preferably one with a ventrilo server or teamspeak.  Once you get into a guild with hopefully high enough numbers then you can group for whatever you want if that is what you wish.  I think it's pretty hard to group otherwise unless your doing grind groups. 

Dungeons aren't THAT amazing, but they still are fun because it is challenging.  Some dungeons even drop good items on a descent basis.  I remember going through one dungeon and I had particle effects turned off and apparently there was poison gas in the air and i couldnt see it and yeah....needless to say i died, but that was pretty cool if you ask me. 

But there is a lot of solo content until you hit 50's (which doesn't take long compared to almost every other MMORPG).  once you hit 50's it gets harder to solo and at the very least it's more efficient to be in a group. 

Once again, I highly recommend getting in a descent guild with good numbers and if they aren't solid high numbers then they better be really good people. 

FYI i am also on FFA server which makes pvping more f un imho. 

• rasgrixrasgrix Member Posts: 169

Im now level 23 and waiting for the team play to kick, but i barly have any spirit to continue on. i think there is far to much solo content (Teamplay is fun for me)... sould i continue questing? and will it become difrent better later on? Or will the game stay the way all the way to level 80? or are dungeons so amazing that its realy worth staying? or is the endgame pvp so great to keep playing?
    I would like to know....

i would say AoC lacks content at the higher levels being why many people quit after the free month but thats entirely my personal opinion of course

• jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332

I really don't get the point of paying monthly for an ONLINE game in which I play solo all the time.

• rasgrixrasgrix Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by jakojako

I really don't get the point of paying monthly for an ONLINE game in which I play solo all the time.

maybe because not all people are you? maybe some people don't play solo, consider that

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700

Im now level 23 and waiting for the team play to kick, but I barely have any spirit to continue on. I think there is far too much solo content (Teamplay is fun for me)... should I continue questing? and will it become difrent better later on? Or will the game stay the way all the way to level 80? or are dungeons so amazing that its realy worth staying? or is the endgame pvp so great to keep playing?
    I would like to know....

Despite many bad experiences in other MMOs with 'Pickup Groups' I accepted a random offer to join a group in a mid-level AoC Dungeon yesterday & enjoyed it immensely.

Mature players, no drama or dudes obsessed with random jumping or shouting "WE ROCK' after killing even the slightest thing. Just great teamwork & even polite requests about looting key items that were always respected.

AoC obviously is far from being perfect & has a long way to go yet before achieving the community spriit of other MMOs, but so far my personal experience has overwhelmingly positive.

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

For me...no. I won't play a poorly designed...broken pve grinder.

• jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332
    Originally posted by rasgrix

maybe because not all people are you? maybe some people don't play solo, consider that

"i played upto lvl 57 and while there are some group oriented areas nobody really wanted to group.  I understand that around 60 AE groups are popular but I never was in one."

according to that, it's pretty damn hard to find a group!

• law573law573 Member UncommonPosts: 89

I would like to know....

There are quite a few group quests and the dungeons are fine. People complain about the gear drops and such, but it's not really a gear oriented game so alot of that is WoW-brainwashing showing through. The game is fixing bugs and adding content. I realize it is not instantly there, but if you have the attention span of a housefly, you can have a lot of fun.

You are playing a video game. By definition that means you are not hardcore.

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

Originally posted by rasgrix

"i played upto lvl 57 and while there are some group oriented areas nobody really wanted to group.  I understand that around 60 AE groups are popular but I never was in one."

according to that, it's pretty damn hard to find a group!

In all honesty, that's how I look at MMORPGs as well. Why would you pay monthly for an online game if you aren't going to do it with other people? You might as well be offline.

The majority of the fun I get from MMORPGs is playing through the content with friends and people I meet in-game. I play solo and enjoy it from time to time but in most cases at most the solo play will only be 20% of my experiences in the MMORPG. If I wanted to play solo I'd rather get a single-player RPG.

Sacrasm below: Remember jako that you always have to add "IMO" to your posts... otherwise you'll be judged as an inconsiderate twat  Seriously, I think jako gets the fact that everyone has their own opinion. That was just his, and I personally agree with it (IMO!!).

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• SampiaSampia Member UncommonPosts: 16

Level 80 has been disappointing.  The bugs make raiding very irritating.  Trying to learn the strats, spend about 3 hours cleaning and killing first boss, almost to second and the whole instance crashes.  We go back in and it has all reset, minus the first boss.  Has happened more than once.  Also a bug where  the players of same raid can't get into same instance.   Aside from the bugs, what little I have seen so far, the environments looks very dull, no design put into them, nothing cool to look at.

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

I think one of my personal gripes with this game is being absolutely murdered by White mobs in epic instances.

I quickly lost interest in re-exploring old dungeons when a level 49 elite caster mob absolutely wiped the floor with my level 80.

Seriously... what's the point in being 80 if you're still getting your ass kicked by bosses who are significantly weaker than you are?

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• kaheidtkaheidt Member UncommonPosts: 52

Be a tank or a healer or you won't get a group.

[Insert reason to be considered a super nerd here]

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134

Problems with grouping:

- "that" group bug.  You know, the one where you can't leave the group, or join it.

- people tend to crash a lot, so a lot of standing around waiting for people to rejoin (and then they may be bugged etc).

- people often don't understand instances too well. (e.g. we're in Mu).

- traveling is a slow, time-consuming, pain-in-the-ass.

- performance issues.

- the rewards aren't essential.

And that's ignoring the MMO-standard "can't find a healer" (which is made slightly worse when healers can solo very well), dealing with people who have 'interesting' personalities, players that are new to the game and the standard group problems you get in every game.

I guess within a guild where you trust people it wouldn't be as bad.

• PraxusPraxus Member Posts: 266

Sure its fun and there is group content. But if you're not enjoying it then maybe its not for you.

• GerardAtJobGerardAtJob Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by Arawon

For me...no. I won't play a poorly designed...broken pve grinder.

same here...  got bored so fast! (imo)

• kaheidtkaheidt Member UncommonPosts: 52

I agree with the previous poster.  I enjoy it.  Is it the best MMO since sliced bread, not by any means.  But it keeps me entertained which is exactly what games are designed to do.  Whether it meets my expectations for an MMO this day and age, that's a completely different story.  It all depends on what you are willing to accept in terms of where AOC is currently a month and a half after launch and 5 years after development began.  Any Joe Shmoe can start playing the game and have a great time, and become addicted to the innovate aspects that AOC has to offer, but that stuff can only contradict the many downfalls of AOC/Funcom by so much and for so long.

That's why it's so tough for a lot of people that haven't experienced AOC yet to understand why we (current players) say the things we say and why there is a general cloud of negativity floating around the forums.  The game is fun, otherwise we wouldn't still be playing.  But there are lots of bugs that pop up, some game breaking, and some that are just annoying. 

For example, sometimes when I first attack a mob, he will sprint away from me in the opposite direction, cut to the right, and then approach me from the side, forming sort of a triangular path, when he was originally standing right next to me.  Sometimes this brings other mobs, sometimes he can't make the connection to me and he resets his position and hp and everything.  There was another time where a group of us were fighting 1 of 3 bosses, while another group was fighting another one of the bosses a good 3 clicks away or so, close enough that I could see the battle but far enough that I couldn't target any of them.  All of a sudden, the boss that they are fighting just randomly sprints off from their battle and comes over to wail on us.  Well... two elite bosses was too much for my poor group, and we wiped and never finished the quest, too demoralized to regroup.  The other group couldn't come and save us because the boss they were fighting ran through about 8 mobs to get to us, and 8 elite mobs on a single group is doom.

There's also the issue, and I think even the most fanatic fanboy can agree to this, with Funcom not being top notch when it comes to customer relations and communicating expected changes, reasons for the changes, responses to the many issues being brought up in the forums, and reasonable PR in terms of missing promises such as buddy keys.  Again, this is something that will affect every person differently in terms of how frustrated they get, if at all, with this situation, and how much weight it carries in determining if they will continue to play.

There's also key gameplay issues such as class unbalances, gaps of content between levels to avoid endless grinding, the crafting system being a forced level to tier advancement (some of the craftings are useless, most if not all are not nearly as fun as other MMOs IMO), guild cities being bugged and allowing people to fall through buildings are not go up stairs as well as not having any NPCs other than the trader OR guild buffs for the buildings, yada yada. 

I could give you more, but the purpose of this is not necessarily to discourage you, but to make you aware that most of the negative things you hear are coming from frustration that has acrued over time because of lack of response from Funcom, bad patches that cause more issues or were missing items and need emergency patches the next day, important aspects of the game not getting the immediate attention they deserve...   Basically it's just things that are saying "Ok, we know that this game just came out, and we've been patient so far for over a month and a half... now it's time to deliver on the things we were expecting when we bought the game."

The game is good, and the game is fun, I recommend you try it, and I wish the trial stuff was in place so you could check it out.  But be forewarned that you WILL come across things that I've mentioned above that will force you to weigh the pros and cons just like everyone else you see here.  You'll like the game, but for how long is something that you need to figure out for yourself.  Maybe by the time you start playing and a month and a half goes by, Funcom will deliver on a lot of stuff and pick up the pace and things will be hunkydory.  I think that would be awesome, as I would love to see AOC succeed. 

Endpost okthanksbye.

EDIT: by the time I posted this monster, someone else had already posted.  I was agreeing with Praxis:

Originally posted by Praxus

Sure its fun and there is group content. But if you're not enjoying it then maybe its not for you.

[Insert reason to be considered a super nerd here]

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

Getting in a guild, playing and grouping with RL friends and guild members is the most important thing. This is where you get your fun. This is true for all MMOs.

Though I must admit that ATM AoC's social aspects arent the best and the UI doesn't help. However these will come with time, if you're willing to stick with the game, if not I suggest trying it in a few months and see how it pans out.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

I would like to know....

Good solo untill 20 but agfter that it just gets plain boring..