Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question: These 2 ATI cards the same?

el_Slackoel_Slacko Member Posts: 310

Hallo, im currently shopping around, trying to find the best deal on a retail ATI made Raedon 9800pro. Ive found 2 at 2 different websites, one is cheaper. Ive been told to be careful not to get the 128-bit version, as it is slower, but im not sure how to determine that. Here are the links to both sites.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-286&depa=1
http://www.micer.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=453055403

Are these 2 cards the exact same? Is one better than the other? Are they BOTH the 128-bit and im screwed? etc?

Comments

• HeimlichkeitHeimlichkeit Member Posts: 105
    You should maybe post this in the General Discussions board, more people probably browse there anyways so quicker response time and such. But i wouldn't know much about the chip, but i saw it has a 256 DDR memory interface or something like that if that helps ya?

BTW, the first link doesn't work, i just took my info from the second link.

• ko1oko1o Member UncommonPosts: 117

look the same to me image

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

Yup, exact same card. Good price on the second one.

• VakktnVakktn Member Posts: 746

Both are the same... but ive never heard of micer... I buy from newegg and they are very good. Either way still good buys.

BTW why not just spend $60-70 more and get the Nvidia 6800 like I did?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-202&depa=1

Runs great just look at these screens of Farcry on max settings with the nvidia 6800....FYI this card also comes with the game Farcry itself so your basicly playing for the game with the extra 60-70 bucks image

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=99495
    http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=99496
    http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=99497

---------------------------------

"Those who brake the ninja code and rules of this world are called trash. But you know what? Those who don't take care of their comrades are even lower than trash." - Hatake Kakashi

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869
    I buy from Newegg all the time too. They are a big geek e-tailer.

• el_Slackoel_Slacko Member Posts: 310

Idont like Nvidia much, kinda how I dont like Intel. Its pretty much a loyalty thing, besides the metal creatures on ATI boxes look so much cooler image

Originally posted by el_Slacko

Idont like Nvidia much, kinda how I dont like Intel. Its pretty much a loyalty thing, besides the metal creatures on ATI boxes look so much cooler image

Pff its not like youre gonna put the box up on the wall are you? ROFL... Hell my box had a sail boat on it sailing into the ocean... I still bought it cuz its a better card then its ATI price wise counter part. Nvidia to ATI is like AMD to Intel in my eyes...image

"Those who brake the ninja code and rules of this world are called trash. But you know what? Those who don't take care of their comrades are even lower than trash." - Hatake Kakashi

Actually, it would be the other way around.

AMD to Intel ~ ATI to Nvidia

Both Intel and Nvidia have been around longer than their counterparts. Both of them are more popular and widely used. Both of them produce alot of different models compared to their counterparts. And both of them are the general standard for most brand-name computer manufacturers(changing though).

And even if the 6800 is better than the 9800, doesnt matter. Those 2 cards arent direct competitors. The 6800 is in a higher weightclass. The 5900 is comparable to the 9800, in which the 9800 owns it back to the return counter. The X800 is the counterpoint to the 6800, which, i believe, owns it too. Althought the x800 is quite expensive still.

Btw, know a good place to get Chieftec cases for cheap or good deals? Looking to replace mine, it has only 1 fan port image

• agentcipheragentcipher Member Posts: 223

Well, in some occasions, Yes, ATI does top nVidia in frames per second. However, something to think about while you're looking at FPS statistics is the fact that nVidia is dabbling in newer technologies, both software and hardware, while ATI is just cranking up their clocks. Plus nVidia is dx 9.0c AND pixel shader 3.0 compliant, while ATI still doesn't have those on board yet.

So, let's recap. nVidia = newer hardware, newer software, newer features.

ATI = older hardware, older software, higher clockspeeds to crank out more fps.

I personally would choose to stick with nVidia... they've had one hell of a track record and are implementing newer technology in their cards instead of just making their cards faster and faster and faster.

I, however, would choose AMD over intel any day. First, AMD is cheaper. Second, it's faster. Third, it's geared more towards individual consumers instead of mass-produced companies such as Alienware and etc.

Ever noticed how you've never seen a commercial on TV anywhere for AMD? How do you think you all know about them? You know about them by word of mouth through happy customers due to quality and performance. (My uncle and I talked about this... he pointed out the lack of commercials. I'd trust him on this, he works for AMD in Consumer Engineering... just a fancy word for PR).

In any case, all four companies make solid hardware, and it's up to consumer choice where they spend their dollars, yen, or whatever. I myself choose nVidia and AMD.

---------------------------

free ipods

Proof it's not a scam

Originally posted by agentcipher

Well, in some occasions, Yes, ATI does top nVidia in frames per second. However, something to think about while you're looking at FPS statistics is the fact that nVidia is dabbling in newer technologies, both software and hardware, while ATI is just cranking up their clocks. Plus nVidia is dx 9.0c AND pixel shader 3.0 compliant, while ATI still doesn't have those on board yet.

Exactly the reason why I went with Nvidia. Cheaper price same or better gaming experience plus they have compatability to the newest Direct X and pixel shaders which IMO is a plus. ATI IMO charges way to much for their cards just like Intel does with their cpus.

• LoStCaUz3LoStCaUz3 Member Posts: 1,154

Sorry to have to do this to you, slacko, but I have to go with NVidia. All the cards I have ever used were NVidia and I have never had any major problems with my computer that have to do with the video card. I am a bit overdue for a new one, though.

GeForce2 MX 100/200 32MB image I want a new one so badly but they are so expensive. More money than I have right now anyway.

Well, I gotta take that back. It is time for a new computer.

*shrug* Even if ATI is merely cranking up the FPS, its the FPS that decides how good a card works in the end-game. Also, the entire PCI Express and X#00 gen of ATI cards are new technology. Most of the 9000-series(9000-9800) were just cranking mostly(but hell, they beat nvidia's 5000-series).

Ive also never had problems with ATI. Ive never used Nvidia. The first card I bought was a VooDoo, then went straight to the R7200. The only problems ATI has is with compaies who dont gear their games for both cards. Although almost all of these problems are only in beta and pre-release versions of the games.

In the end, I dont care alot about techniques, just give me a faster card.

• agentcipheragentcipher Member Posts: 223

Well, as a consumer, that's your choice. However, I'd prefer my 5 FPS slower to appear prettier than yours, along with the fact that the card won't go obsolete shortly... You've seen what's coming out with Doom 3 and Valve's Source engine for HL2. When the envelope gets pushed, I'd like to have the equipment that's capable of pushing back in more ways than just numbers.

Oh, and yes the FX series was crap. nVidia actually apologized and called it one huge mistake that was a result of their new hardware technology, trimming from .15 to .13. They patched it in the second edition cards. However, it's not exactly wise to compare the 5200 to the 9600, because they're not in the same ballpark. the 5200 was the cheapo one for people who just wanted any card that worked.

However, I won't deny that ATI has some better points, such as better AA and Anisto. But one also can't trust too many of the benchmarks... they're occasionally slanted, and when you read enough to see the cards flip flop about which is better, you really decide to stop caring because they're obviously close enough to being the same.

free ipods

Proof it's not a scam

Actually, I was relating the 9800 to the 5900, the 9600 to the 5700, and the 9200 to the 5200. They are pretty much the same amount of power in each pair. Also, in alot of THG's benchmarks, the 9800xt and 5900(ultra, or is it xt? the top one) get about the same. Sometimes one soars above the others, other times its the oppisite. The cards handle different things better than the other.

And to top it off, I like ATI boxes image

• DeceptionDeception Member Posts: 51

Go to www.ati.com and click shop then compare, it will allow you select the cards u want to compare (up to 3) and then give u the specs side by side

anythin for a beta key... ANYTHING!!!

anythin for a beta key... ANYTHING!!!

• KraptorKraptor Member Posts: 359

To answer the original question. There were couple runs of 9800Pro production that had 128bit memory interface. They had a big sticker on the box that stated this. I think Ati never produced this, other manufacturers did but as i said it was a limited run.

I used to have all nvidia cards, then went and got a 9800Pro, which was the BEST card in the last gen, but to be honest if u are getting a new card and u can spare that 70 bucks, i would also recommend to get the 6800 card. In the last gen ATI beat Nvidia in terms of pretty much everything, image quality, speed, FSAA, etc. Now nvidia caught up and these new series cards are much better then their FX cards were. The 6800 is just better card then the 9800Pro, period, get the 6800 or if u want to stick with Ati, then get the X800, that is an awesome card:) or just wait a little till the 9800pros price will drop to 150 or so:)

Just some note. AMD does have tons of ads. They were plastered all over Lance Armstorng and on the Ferraries:)

Anyways, just get the 6800 over the pro. I think the 6800 worht the extra 50 bucks.