Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do we spend less $ than console gamers?

VioletteViolette Member UncommonPosts: 119

I currently pay for two games, approx. $14/ea, and am thinking of adding one more to that, but not so sure.

At first I summed it up and felt I was a spoiled brat who doesn't value money, uhmm, but then I recalled reading that an average console gamer spends on average $60/month.... So maybe I shouldn't feel so guilty? I don't know....

Thoughts?.....

Comments

• fungistratusfungistratus Member Posts: 437

I would say the cost of hardware on our end makes cost either even or PC gamers spending more.

Also it's easier for us to buy games with digital purchasing.  Those finacial numbers aren't tracked by any 3rd party organizations.

I initially paid 2500 for my whole PC setup (speakers,monitor inc.)  I just recently completely updated the machine (had to stick with the 939 motherboard it is sli though...) with 4GB of RAM ($120.00) Video Card ($140) power supply ($150.00) and CPU ($70.00).  When Windows 7 comes out next year ($240)

All this was to run AoC ($50) which sucked anyway.... Oh well at least I'm ready for whatever else comes out.

Still the cost to PC enthusiats supercedes the cost to console gamers by miles.  Not to mention you need some technical expertise to get it all running right.

I definatley will not be able to afford a new rig next time around unless I get a decent pay raise soon.

• SelenciaSelencia Member Posts: 180

I think the thing about console gamers is that they can spend as much or as little money as they want. I've seen a lot of Xbox 360 gamers that only have a few of the hit titles and they might pay the $50 yearly to play on xbox live with their friends. People can also rent games but there are also those who will buy every game that comes out and they're probably buying 2-3 games a month.

It's hard to compare MMOs & Console games though as console games are highly polished and typically free of bugs or issues that MMOs will be plagued with your months or years. You get what you pay for; maybe if MMORPGs charged $50 a month they would be of a higher standard?

• megaflux19megaflux19 Member Posts: 99

rentals definately play bigger roles in console gaming, with pc games (not counting piracy ofcourse) we get screwed by having to buy games to find out they suck. i dont buy console cost vs pc cost really, we use whatever hardware we want, they can only use certain controllers and the consoles have basic timers on them (since even if you still have a dreamcast you arent getting any more games for it than you had last year).

the number of games launched month to month is also a huge black and white (unless you are stupid enough to have a ps3, in which case pc games do come out about as often). you cant really compare mmorpg's since consoles hardly get them at all (vs. tons and tons of action /sports games).

the main reason i dont think paying for 3 games is viable is because you cant dedicate playing time to all 3 at once, or to look at it a bit diff. you would have to play all 3 3 times as long to hit level cap on all characters, why do that to yourself? though i guess so long as they arent p2p it doesnt matter. i personally still tend to demolish 1 game before i start another.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I'd say we do, simply because a large portion of our market plays F2P games! Also, console games are much more expensive than PC games, especially if accessories are included. Sure, some of us do pay monthly, but the large majority of console owners I know purchase titles regularly (at least once a month).

• VioletteViolette Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by megaflux19

*snipped for now*

the main reason i dont think paying for 3 games is viable is because you cant dedicate playing time to all 3 at once, or to look at it a bit diff. you would have to play all 3 3 times as long to hit level cap on all characters, why do that to yourself? though i guess so long as they arent p2p it doesnt matter. i personally still tend to demolish 1 game before i start another.

Yes it may seem bizarre... Well I don't know about you but my interest in a particular MMO comes and goes. For a month I feel like playing AO, then next month it's ATITD, for example, then it's rinse and repeat. Some MMOs don't allow account freezing, so if you stop paying you lose everything. That's why I think I've no choice but to pay for one of them even though I may not play it for like a month. I'm pretty sure to a person who's dying of hunger this would seem like the stupidest, most arrogant thing to do with one's money. It probably is.

• megaflux19megaflux19 Member Posts: 99

wow, i never played 1 where they shut you off if you cancell for a month or 2 (ok p-servers, but we dont talk about those here). i usually do revisit games if they get an expansion or new content that seems appealing, or in the case of TR 7 more months to develop the game ..only to find out its in the same state it was in C/B.

and on a side note, those #$%#@ in developing countries should be doing more important things with their time than playing videogames, like maybe running water, fighting starvation,stopping the spread of aids, learning to NOT reproduce en-masse, and developing stable economies (including brasil).

if you are THAT guilty about wasting $ you can always donate some to the ACLU.  makes me feel better anyways.

another thing that occured to me is you can go to the nearest game shop and pick up used console games, for pc all we really have is amazon or ebay and even then alot of the time you get a used serial.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by megaflux19

another thing that occured to me is you can go to the nearest game shop and pick up used console games, for pc all we really have is amazon or ebay and even then alot of the time you get a used serial.

here is an idea ..... dont buy used PC games ......

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• EpikaEpika Member Posts: 16

The PC costs a lot, but is used for tons of things.  Once you buy an MMO it's only $15  a month.

To keep up with console gaming I needed an HDTV, which costs more then a PC.  But again, it's used for TV and movies, so it has other purposes.  Then you need the console itself (with this gen it's not uncommon to buy atleast two of the consoles to get a better experience), along with games that run $60 a pop (cheaper on Ebay).  I buy a minimum of one game a month, sometimes more depending on what comes out and what deals I get.

As someone who played MMOs for years and just recently started getting back into console games (MMO selection sucks right now), console gaming has been a lot more expensive.  I am however finding the variety and storylines found within the games to be an overall more enjoyable experience, though.

I prefer to own games, so I suppose for people that take advantage of rental services like Gamefly may be saving tons of money.