Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it even possible that Bioware's MMO can be set in SW universe?

PorfatPorfat Member Posts: 364

As I see it Lucasarts had Verant/SoE develop a Star Wars MMO game that SoE manages.   For the millions of dollars and the 1000s of man/hour it took to develop SWG I'd imagine SoE wanted some guarantees that another Stars War mmo would not compete with it.  

There are no compete clauses in contracts all the time.   I can't imagine SoE lawyers wouldn't have one.

A couple of things I can see to invalidate this:

1.  No non compete contract

2.  SoE invalidated the contract somehow.  Example SWG must maintain 500k subscriptions or Lucasarts can make another Starwars MMO.

3. The non compete clause ran its course.    It has been awhile since SWG came out.

Alot of people seem so sure that Bioware's MMO is going to be a Star Wars game.   I'm just wondering if its even possible.

Does anyone know the answer? 

Comments

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Knights of the old republic and the SWG story lines are totally different.

KOTOR is set something like a thousand years before the whole thing with dark vader and whatever.

But bioware already expressed that they dont like how limiting previous storylines where, thats why thye made mass effect with a totally unique story. I believe they will make a scifi mmo but i doubt it will be Star wars, as there is no need for them to limit themselves that way.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• JustBeJustBe Member Posts: 495

Lucas Arts have made clear about what they want in a mmorpg and it'll probably be designed for consoles too so i'm not bothered what they do.

----------------------------------------
    Talking about SWG much?

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

From what I understand SOE is on a renewable contract with the SWG IP which will be up for renewal in the future.  I also understand that SWG has received its last official expansion for the remaining life of the game.  I also understand that SWG is barely hanging in there population wise and likely doesn't have too many years left anyway.

If I'm wrong about any of that then someone can correct me.  That assumes SOE has a exclusivity agreement, which may not be the case.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• JustBeJustBe Member Posts: 495
    Originally posted by Korusus

From what I understand SOE is on a renewable contract with the SWG IP which will be up for renewal in the future.  I also understand that SWG has received its last official expansion for the remaining life of the game.  I also understand that SWG is barely hanging in there population wise and likely doesn't have too many years left anyway.
    If I'm wrong about any of that then someone can correct me.  That assumes SOE has a exclusivity agreement, which may not be the case.

lol that renewal rumour has been around ever since the CU and I don't know where it keeps coming from but seems to be thrown out there at the start of every year. What makes even less sense however is why did they destroy SWG and just left it for dead? Star Wars is a BIG name and just makes no sense what so ever unless they have a new game planned.

----------------------------------------
    Talking about SWG much?

• Originally posted by Korusus

SOE doesn't have an exclusivity contract, but Lucas Arts maintains one with all their products. If it is a miniatures game, card game, or any other thing they are in. With the game they may see it as one being lore, and the other as extended universe in which they would easily allow it.

SoE reports over 90k currently with SWG which is still fairly successful when it comes to money. Who knows what will happen, but the stuff should be fun whatever it is.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

would be nice if it was a Mass Effect MMO versus a KOTOR

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    Originally posted by namelessbob

SOE doesn't have an exclusivity contract, but Lucas Arts maintains one with all their products. If it is a miniatures game, card game, or any other thing they are in. With the game they may see it as one being lore, and the other as extended universe in which they would easily allow it.
    SoE reports over 90k currently with SWG which is still fairly successful when it comes to money. Who knows what will happen, but the stuff should be fun whatever it is.

Do you have a link for that number?  Not that I don't believe you, I'm just interested.  That's definitely enough to keep the game going for sure...but hardly what Lucas Arts could net with a new Star Wars MMO.  And in the end that's what it would come down to.

Originally posted by JustBe

lol that renewal rumour has been around ever since the CU and I don't know where it keeps coming from but seems to be thrown out there at the start of every year. What makes even less sense however is why did they destroy SWG and just left it for dead? Star Wars is a BIG name and just makes no sense what so ever unless they have a new game planned.

I thought the rumor was that the contract hadn't been renewed in 2006 (which was false).  That doesn't mean it isn't a renewing contract.  Really, I don't think we know what exactly the contract does or does not say.  If  Lucas Arts wants to start another Star Wars MMO that there's probably not much SOE can legally do about it.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• Originally posted by Korusus

Originally posted by namelessbob

Do you have a link for that number?  Not that I don't believe you, I'm just interested.  That's definitely enough to keep the game going for sure...but hardly what Lucas Arts could net with a new Star Wars MMO.  And in the end that's what it would come down to.

I'll look but I do believe that number includes the station passes as well since it gives access to all SOE games. It was floating around the SWG forums for awhile.