Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ebook Dungeons and Dragons?

Ryder22Ryder22 Member Posts: 132

does anyone know of an "Ebook" sort of thing with any of the versions of D&D? basically the entire dungeon masters guide, or Player guide?

"The definition of over doesn't have to be, "The End"

Comments

• fungistratusfungistratus Member Posts: 437

With the release of the 4th Edition I believe there will be a component online called D&D Insider.  You can sign up for the beta now.www.wizards.com/default.asp.  Along with all rulebooks and other books online it will also have a charcter creator and dungeon creator.  Not to mention an online element that lets you play with firends.  I also heard there might be voip included with voice-changing software for role playing.

I never was able to play D&D because I didnt know anyone who played it.  It would be neat to learn how to play online with other people. 

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

There will be e-book versions of all the rulebooks with the DnD Insider, however to get access to these books you have to first buy the hard copy of the book. Then in the back of the book you will have a code to unlock the ebook version for yourself. Or atleast, that's what I understand from the various DnD Insider stuff I've seen.

As it stands now, any ebook you get without paying the price of the book itself (or some price Wizards has defined) is illegal.

However fungistratus is right, there will be an online "Virtual Tabletop" system where not only do you create your character (much like an MMO), but you can create dungeons, and have a little virtual environment for your DM to host a play session with you in. Now the entire experience of DnD can be done over the internet which should appeal greatly to people like us (MMO Players) as well as those who play DnD but happen to be far from their friends.

If you are just interested in seeing how some of the new rules work for DnD 4, you can go to http://dnd4.com and they have some basic info on it all.

Perhaps we'll have to get an MMORPG.com campaign going for all of us who are excited about the new system.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Wow people aren't giving it very good reviews at Amazon. They are saying its too MUMORPGERish.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• fungistratusfungistratus Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by Briansho

Wow people aren't giving it very good reviews at Amazon. They are saying its too MUMORPGERish.

yeah the general consesus of the "hardcore" fans is not one of praise.  For people who have never played before though they made the game easier to play and learn.  They also made it more appealing to MMORPG players.  They took away lots of dice rolls made the game more streamlined.

So to me personally this is all a good thing.