Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphical Errors galore! (screen shot)

mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

I'll cut to the chase:  http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mindspatpicture006tw3.png

This did not start happening until about 3 weeks ago.  It happens after 45 minutes of game play regardless of anything I'm doing; 60 minutes if I'm lucky!

No responce from Funcom on a fix.

xp 32bit, e8400, 2x 1gb DDR3 1600, evga 8800gt akimbo sc, 177.40 drivers. 3dmark06 14882.

Every single game I own plays exceptionaly well with the only exception to AoC.  This game was only stable, for me, the first 3 weeks of it's launch.  Now the critical failures are so bad that my entire machine requires a gentle push of the reset button if I intend to continue using it...

Thank you for the quality Funcom!

incase you missed it, see this:  http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mindspatpicture006tw3.png

Comments

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Sorry to see,

Some people still have problems running the game.  I myself can play for hours with no problem. I also sent a petition on another issue and funcom got back to me within 2 hours time. Soooo not sure what to make of it.

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Also,

I run the 8800gt but have 3 gb of ram. Upgradeing another K might help.

• rshandlonrshandlon Member Posts: 173

It could also be issues with your video card and Nvidia has been really crappy with drivers the last 4-6 months.  One reason I left and went to ATI and never regret it since.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Valgar1

Also,
    I run the 8800gt but have 3 gb of ram. Upgradeing another K might help.

I appreciate the advice although I highly suspect that system RAM is not the problem here.  The game ran exceptionaly well up till the patch on June 9th.  From that point on the game regularily crashes every 45-60 minutes.  That patch was also when I first started seeing the "grey map" precussor to client crash.

My system rocks on every other game and I've never had any issues with textures or crashes other then when playing AoC. 

And for those who haven't had a chance, Crysis is pretty damned cool!  ;)

Originally posted by rshandlon

It could also be issues with your video card and Nvidia has been really crappy with drivers the last 4-6 months.  One reason I left and went to ATI and never regret it since.

I went through around 7 different drivers over the last week.  Being that the problem didn't appear until the patch on June 9th I suspected it was the game, but with the occurence of the graphical glithes I did infact suspect it could be the card.  Problem is this is *ONLY* present with AoC!

There's the frequent system pop up that drops AoC down to desktop that says there's a client memory error occasionaly when this texture bug appears.  I've had both issues at the exact same time and if wasn't for others saying they also have the mem issues I would in fact suspect it was isolated to my system. 

Wouldn't these issues be present in other games or during benchmark tests if it were my machine?

• CreepingDoomCreepingDoom Member Posts: 116

177 drivers eh?

3 weeks ago you say? right around the time of driver installation?

Maybe you'd better go do some research OP, search tool on the official forums works wonders, newest drivers have known issues.

Rock a FailCom avatar now and express your disgust with pride!

The truth hurts...
    Funcom RX

• AOCtesterAOCtester Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 431

Probably memory leak.  If you can play for 40 mins you are lucky !!

There was a time we could only play for 5 before glitching.   But that was usually more like a  rendering problem.    Things looking none rendered - whole areas beeing blurry - getting to the point of crashing the game (usually on screenloads).  Those issues are still ingame but not with as many ppl as in closed beta.  Dunno if this is related to your problem.

Originally posted by CreepingDoom

177 drivers eh?
    Maybe you'd better go do some research OP, search tool on the official forums works wonders, newest drivers have known issues.

The 177.40 drivers were updated on June 29th in an attempt to resolve the issue.  This was one of about 6 or 7 different drivers I had used as an effort to resolve the issue, but to no avail. 

I realize your comments are due to my ommission of the dates when I actualy installed the referenced drivers.  Ironically, the bugs did in fact appear around the time the 177.40 drivers were released even though I did not update to those specific drivers until June 29th; new drivers are frequently buggy.

Every game I play, other then AoC, plays extremely well without any graphical corruption.  I can even overclock my video card to 800mhz and 2000shader without any errors on ALL the other games I have installed. 

The graphical corruption happens about half the time the game client has an error.  For those who play AoC you already know this can be anywhere from 45 minutes to 4 hours.  The problem is, the frequency has increased with EVERY patch since June 9th. 

p.s. note that I reference two different dates, the patch on the 9th is the date when these memor issues became common and the 29th is when I first used the 177.40 drivers. 

• huxflux2004huxflux2004 Member Posts: 730

Try running ATItool. Its a small stress tester for GPUs that is great for detecting faulty hardware and heat related problems. If you can run that for 1 hour with no problems, then I guess the problem is with AoC. The fact that you run Crysis does not mean that its definitly an AoC problem.

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by mindspat

Originally posted by CreepingDoom

177 drivers eh?

The 177.40 drivers were updated on June 29th in an attempt to resolve the issue.  This was one of about 6 or 7 different drivers I had used as an effort to resolve the issue, but to no avail.  

I realize your comments are due to my ommission of the dates when I actualy installed the referenced drivers.  Ironically, the bugs did in fact appear around the time the 177.40 drivers were released even though I did not update to those specific drivers until June 29th; new drivers are frequently buggy.

Every game I play, other then AoC, plays extremely well without any graphical corruption.  I can even overclock my video card to 800mhz and 2000shader without any errors on ALL the other games I have installed. 

The graphical corruption happens about half the time the game client has an error.  For those who play AoC you already know this can be anywhere from 45 minutes to 4 hours.  The problem is, the frequency has increased with EVERY patch since June 9th. 

p.s. note that I reference two different dates, the patch on the 9th is the date when these memor issues became common and the 29th is when I first used the 177.40 drivers.  

I have the Nvidia 8800GTS with 3Gb Ram (Well 4Gb but as we all know only 3Gb is used by XP) & so far luckily haven't had any issues.

Currently I am using the standard 'Nvidia 6.14.11.7516' drivers, but if you don't mind trying out alternatives, have you ever used http://www.omegadrivers.net/ ?

They release tuned versions of the standard drivers that are usually very good. The owner has had a few personal problems so they are still on 'Nvidia Omega Drivers 2.169.21 (Forceware 169.21)', but maybe that will work for you. He said on the site that he will update with new drivers soon & when he does I will definitely upgrade mine to the Omega version.

Hope this helps & you find a solution soon.

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Last night I had the oddest graphical bug I've ever seen . I was running an alt through the tortage quests , The last one I completed was the climb the volcano with the impure blood quest . I went back to the tavern afterward and logged out ( waited the 30 seconds) . Well when I went to my desktop a brief image of climbing down the ladder on the volcano briefly appeared then vanished , very odd. I just hope when I log in with my alt I still have a completed quest.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by huxflux2004

Try running ATItool. Its a small stress tester for GPUs that is great for detecting faulty hardware and heat related problems. If you can run that for 1 hour with no problems, then I guess the problem is with AoC. The fact that you run Crysis does not mean that its definitly an AoC problem.

I haven't used ATItool since using an 8800gt and used to use it a lot with my x850pro and x1950pro cards.  I'm quite familar with it.  ;)

It's not just Crysis that runs well, it's also about 10 other games.  AoC is the only one I've had issues with.

The problem that gets me is that teh game ran fine.  Actually, it ran exceptionaly well until the AoC patch on June 9th.  Since then the game client has had an excessive number of issues mostly resolving around a "memory hole"

Anyone know of a work around for the "memory hole" issue?  

• GhistGhist Member Posts: 275

Now this is a Graphical Error I was getting.  And before you say drivers, notice the interface is perfect.

img384.imageshack.us/img384/345/deusestmortpicture006pw4.png

Waiting for the next thing

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Ghist

Now this is a Graphical Error I was getting.  And before you say drivers, notice the interface is perfect.

That's a graphics device error, whether due to heat or GPU RAM is questionable at this point. Check with your video card manufacturer.

• GhistGhist Member Posts: 275

My chip was running at 31C and the overall system was running at 36C.

Waiting for the next thing

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by twhint

Originally posted by Ghist

That's a graphics device error, whether due to heat or GPU RAM is questionable at this point. Check with your video card manufacturer.

Actually thats a graphical issue that has plagued the Dreamworld engine for a long time. It was annoying back in AO with nVidia cards.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

The rendering engine in this game sucks.  Plain and simple.  No more explanation is needed.

Originally posted by Thradar

The rendering engine in this game sucks.  Plain and simple.  No more explanation is needed.

That's an accusation, not an explanation. 

I appreciate the bump, but could you at least contribute? 

What's "plain and simple" is making a blanket statement with only a few accounts of errors.  Complexity and comprehension would have faciliated a much more useful and detailed post. 

This game has the best graphics I've ever seen for an MMO. There's many more who will agree with this then dispute it.  There's also plenty that have accounts crashes and issues with a "memory hole" locking up their PC.

I'm looking for help and a work around, not mindless banter.   

Besides these graphical glithecs which appear to be tied into the memory hole issue I think the game is pretty damned awesome.  The problem is the game, for me, is unplayable due to these bugs and I find it highly unaceptable since my assumption is it is client related and not nescesarily my hardware. 

• supbrosupbro Member Posts: 327

You should really post this in the Technical section of the official AoC forums, you will get better advice there. Sadly this forum seems to be infested with troll haters.

GW2 the future of MMO gaming

Originally posted by supbro

You should really post this in the Technical section of the official AoC forums, you will get better advice there. Sadly this forum seems to be infested with troll haters.

http://www.newtragedy.com/ItMustBeMyPC.jpg

Even those the last guy I quoted was unable to contribute he wasn't entirely off the mark.