Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions. 10 actually :( sorry

Da1eDa1e Member Posts: 357

Sorry about this, but I need to ask a few questions about EQ2, and hell knows this is the place to do it =p

bearing in mind the only mmo i have realllllly played is WoW, the questions may appear slightly stupid

1. what is the PvP like? is there an assortment of PvP places / locations and games, like battlegrounds? I thought the wow PvP battlegrounds were really good, is there something similar? with ranks?

2. are the dungeons dungeons or are they instanced? like vanguard or like WoW?

3. are there a nice selection of dungeons? like so there are enough to do one every couple of levels, but not so many that you could miss many... would it be possible for an average gamer to play them all through their leveling?

4. what are the armour sets like? tier armour? pvp armour then pve? and crafting?

5. what are the different crafting alternatives? and are they simple, or complex like VG?

6. good community? how many people roughly on the servers? medium pop?

7. are there cool mounts / flying mounts?

8. easy to run, but with reasonable graphics?

9. if I bought the rise of Nanak or whatever it is called, am I set for expansions at this current time?

10. basically, is it a fun game? (opinionated I know), but if i liked WoW due to cool armour, sweet instances, big one off bosses like onyxia, raids, PvP, will I like EQ2? Or is there a better game suited from what you hear?

thanks, sorry for so many, but the site gives almost no info :(

----------------
Hello!

Comments

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

1. Never tried the pvp sorry.

2. All the dungeons are instanced like WoW

3. There is quite a few dungeons...not sure on total numbers but there is alot in most level ranges.

4. For the most part you will likely use crafted armor while leveling up. But alot of nice gear in dungeons. Not totally sure what your asking though.

5. Skipping this one...I'm not really a crafter. But it wasn't real hard to level it up to 40+.

6. Great community...I was always able to find people willing to answer any questions or help if needed. Not currently playing so not sure on population though.

7. No flying mounts that you can control...decent amount of regular mounts though. A lot of different horses,Rhino's,Wargs with different armor graphics and skins.

8. Hard question to answer really...just like most games what runs great on one persons computer runs like crap on somebody elses with nearly the same specs. download the free trial and see how it runs.

9. Rise of Kunark box set you get in the store includes all expansions and core game. Some direct to download sites don't offer all expansions in one pack though so careful where you get the game.

10. I liked the game alot...just wish I could get my friends to stay playing any game for longer then a month. But again download the trial and find out for yourself.  :)

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614
    Originally posted by Da1e

Sorry about this, but I need to ask a few questions about EQ2, and hell knows this is the place to do it =p
    bearing in mind the only mmo i have realllllly played is WoW, the questions may appear slightly stupid
    1. what is the PvP like? is there an assortment of PvP places / locations and games, like battlegrounds? I thought the wow PvP battlegrounds were really good, is there something similar? with ranks?
    The PvP servers are good vs. evil, and FFA within 8 levels. The Arenas exist, but sit empty most of the time. People that want PvP are usually on those servers, or playing something else.
    2. are the dungeons dungeons or are they instanced? like vanguard or like WoW?
    Both. There are instanced dungeons, and there are shared dungeons.
    3. are there a nice selection of dungeons? like so there are enough to do one every couple of levels, but not so many that you could miss many... would it be possible for an average gamer to play them all through their leveling?
    There are lots of dungeons of every level and skill. You can hit all the dungeons through your leveling career.
    4. what are the armour sets like? tier armour? pvp armour then pve? and crafting?
    Tier armor in this game is by level, like Tier 1 armor is 1-9, Tier 2 is 10-19, and so on. You don't really hit armor sets until KoS, which is the 60-69 range, except for crafted armor, which is setted at all levels. There are different levels of quality within each tier, Treasured, Mastercrafted, Legendary, Fabled and Mythical. Handcrafted is the same quality as Treasured.
    Treasured is the normal armor you find everywhere, normal mobs, normal crafting, and normal questing. Mastercrafted is crafted pieces made from the rare harvests. Legendary is from dungeons, boss mobs, and long quest lines requiring several steps and a lot of time to complete. Fabled is from raiding, very rare boss mobs, and very difficult quest lines. Mythical is extremely rare quests, and events, and only a few people on any server have Mythical.
    5. what are the different crafting alternatives? and are they simple, or complex like VG?
    There are 9 crafting alternatives and it involves one combine with a small whack a mole game to keep up the quality. It is not even nearly as complex as VG. There's Armorer, Weaponsmith, Tailor, Woodworker, Carpenter, Provisioner, Jeweler, Sage, and Alchemist.
    6. good community? how many people roughly on the servers? medium pop?
    Most people are nice and helpful. Pretty good population for summer time.
    7. are there cool mounts / flying mounts?
    There are no flying mounts, and I doubt that there ever will be. There are horses, magic carpets, rhinos, and wargs.
    8. easy to run, but with reasonable graphics?
    For an up to date system, you can run on balanced settings quite easily.
    9. if I bought the rise of Nanak or whatever it is called, am I set for expansions at this current time?
    RoK includes everything that has been released.
    10. basically, is it a fun game? (opinionated I know), but if i liked WoW due to cool armour, sweet instances, big one off bosses like onyxia, raids, PvP, will I like EQ2? Or is there a better game suited from what you hear?
    Honestly, there really isn't that big a difference from WoW except graphics. Everything else is just content.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614
    Originally posted by Noktaris
    2. All the dungeons are instanced like WoW
    This is completely incorrect.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

Guess thats true...Not all the dungeons are instanced like WoW exactly. But the Dungeons with the lockout timers are. You don't share those with other groups but your own.

• Da1eDa1e Member Posts: 357

lockout timers?

like you have a certain timer to complete?

and for quanitity,

someone that liked instances in WoW could eassily name them all by the end. is it like this on EQ2 ?

----------------
    Hello!

Don't worry...there isn't a lot of group dungeons that have lockout timers. Least leveling up anyways...once you get higher level  you start running into some. Basically you can only redo the dungeon again after a certain amount of time has gone by. Normally once a day.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQ2 lockout timers are timers that block you from -repeating- the locked content - until the timer is up

I dont think anyone can list all the instances easily -- there may be over 100

many are listed here on this zone list

eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Zones

• Da1eDa1e Member Posts: 357

Oh that sounds alright,

as long as it doesn't simply give you a timer to complete it :)

thanks for that link!

----------------
    Hello!

• Peregrine2Peregrine2 Member Posts: 169

In fact, not only do you not have a timer to complete it, but some of the instances are persistent, so that you can start it one day, leave and come back and pick it up at another time at the same point you left.

• Jeff44Jeff44 Member Posts: 459

Sorry, you only get 9 questions per post. 

Actually, Bahumut covered it very well, the only thing I would add is that I found a big difference between E2 and WOW, in that for me, I was drawn into the story of EQ2. Wow, after the first year, just became a grind.

In EQ2, I can do a lot of things to progress in other areas not tied to trying to get the next best gear.

Give it a try, the demo is free.

Best of luck.

user