Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Game Theory in MMORPGs please

gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503

Why do I play MMORPGs? Because I enjoy the interaction with other players. I generally like pick up groups, and doing quests or grinding on mobs, and to break that up, some RvR.

That is one reason I don't like WoW, because IMO, the grouping game pre-raid is worthless.

Anyway, I'd like to see more player interaction. I think one way to add that would be to implement more ways that players can interact in game theory scenarios:

This is Game Theory

This is an example of a Game Theory scenario, the Prisoners Dilemma.

There are lots of Game Theory scenarios that could be added to MMORPGs with game mechanics, just like I think you could use game mechanics to add some sort of Prisoners Dilemma to an MMORPG.

Comments

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

Some of those games require brain power then the average player doenst have -.-

For example, the prisioners dilemma, how mutch would you bet that people would keep betraying, over and over? Just to "screw the other".

Senhores da Guerra

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503
    Originally posted by gath

Some of those games require brain power then the average player doenst have -.-
    For example, the prisioners dilemma, how mutch would you bet that people would keep betraying, over and over? Just to "screw the other".

That's fine. There is a variation of the Prisoner's dilemma, called the iteration, where the same people play the prisoner's dilemma more than once, so you can punish the other person for their previous actions.

Game theory scenario's dont' actually require much brain power. It's just a prediction on how people will react to certain situations, given set outcomes.

The other point is, obviously we aren't going to put any players in jail, that's no fun, and we're aren't going to label it "the prisoner's dilemma" although players might still recognize it.

Here's an example. You beat a boss mob, and an NPC appears to reward the group,  and each player is given their own NPC dialog window.

Each player is given a chance to determine his own reward, but also the reward of his fellow party members. If everyone answers "equal share", then everyone gets an equal share. If anyone answers "more for me" they get more from everyone that answered "equal share". But if two or more players answer "more for me" everyone gets less than they would have for an equal share.

If you've got a group you can trust, you're all set. But one person can walk away with a bunch of treasure, or everyone can lost most of the treasure.

It just requires more player interaction and discussion.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ya like the other say if there is some mischief  that can be done hell they will do it (witch include backstab,bad mouth other etc)

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

private out of world communication.  ruins a lot of game theory stuff.

You do see a lot of hawk and dove type games in PvP games where players can lose time(items, exp, or whatever).

Runescape did release an interesting game math type game if that's what you're into the Fists of Guthix minigame.  Basically one person hunts the other, while they collect points.  at the center they collect points faster than on the outside.  They add special things like a one time teleport to the center, and some other teleports for the hunted.

:oh noes bash him for he mentioned runescape:

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503
    Originally posted by paulscott

private out of world communication.  ruins a lot of game theory stuff.
    You do see a lot of hawk and dove type games in PvP games where players can lose time(items, exp, or whatever).
    Runescape did release an interesting game math type game if that's what you're into the Fists of Guthix minigame.  Basically one person hunts the other, while they collect points.  at the center they collect points faster than on the outside.  They add special things like a one time teleport to the center, and some other teleports for the hunted.
    :oh noes bash him for he mentioned runescape:

I agree that in some cases private communication can ruin game theory scenarios, however, look at my example. It's all about what each player does, vs what each players says they are going to do, so private communication would not be a hinderance in this case.

No one would see what the other players told the NPC. All you would know is either you got an equal share, or that SOMEBODY walked away with moref (but you don't know who) OR you'd know that EVERYONE got less than an equal share.

I'm not necessarily against mini games, although that's not really my thing. I just like game mechanics that allow interaction between players of all sorts.