Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steep learning curve and skills

panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Hi

I've been playing now for 3 days and having great fun. But now i seem to come across some barriers which are dampenning my enjoyment, these are....

I don't seem to be able to fit another weapon onto my ship due to power restrictions....i can't fit power upgrades to my ship due to skill restrictions....skills cost around 8 mill for skills such as navigation :(

Should i have chose a character which gave me some engineering skills? i seem to have come across a syndrome of can't do this because you don't have that, and niether the money to buy skills, or even the skills to use equipment??

Any advice guys? ta :) 

Pan

Pan

Comments

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

My guess would be that most everyone would say to join a good corp than can help you get started out.

Either that, or just run agent missions to farm isk, or if you're really masochistic, and into crafting, I suppose you could mine, mine, mine, and then craft, craft, craft.

-------
    I was never what you wanted, I could never never please.
    I swallowed all our sorrow in the midst of my disease.
    All my fortunes, all my gains, all the battles I have won...
    Now collapsing like the rain, I stand alone, your only son...

Take some solace in these words, take notice of this place.
    Hollow whispers that they are, like the wind upon my face.
    Sing softly in my ear and look at me with wonder.
    I will try to ease your fear as the darkness pulls you under.

• ZsterZster Member Posts: 21

Being new has many limitations. If you shop around you may find the skills and items at a much lower price. The last skill I saw for the highest ISK was cloaking for 3 million in the Caldari areas. I suggest aiming lower my friend. Find a good corp to help you get started. Remember that you will be in a frigate for awhile, which of course has capacitor limits.

Even the cruisers have limited capacitors. It's taken me about 2 weeks to get to Caldari cruiser handling, with 5 learning skills at lvl 2 or 3. Don't forget you need ISK as well as the skills to do something. To buy a nice cruiser you'll need around 7million ISK, or a friend in a corp willing to sell or make for a lower price.

EVE takes alot of patience. Unless you have patience, all will feel hopeless to you in the beginning. I felt that way also my first week. Now I'm in a good corp who is helping me. They outfitted me with a starting Frigate, some ISK from a group mining effort with battleships (who split the ore equally, a great benifit to me =) ). If you go the solitaire route, it will take alot of time to get the skills learned and ISK made. Save up for a good industrial ship so you can haul your ore you mine. Jettison you ore into a can- and continue to fill up that can. Haul it to the station in your industrial ship and sell for ISK. Or you can outfit a good frigate and do agent missions or NPC pirate hunting. Don't forget to keep the loot from pirates of which you can use, sell, or reprocess into some useful mins for later.

The possibilities are endless ;). You can be in a battleship someday, mining, hunting, completing missions. You can be a trader, buying low in one station, then hauling and selling high at another. You can be a researcher, making blueprint originals, selling for profit, or using to produce items in a factory. You can be a producer in a factory, selling at the highest possible price. You can be a bounty hunter, chaing after those players you see on the CONCORD billboards. All this can be yours if you spend the TIME to do it.

---------------------------------------------
    Visit me at http://cheerz.low-ping.com/main.asp =)

• ZipehZipeh Member Posts: 265

hi there

i bet your biggest hindrence is the ship itself.  The low end frigs cant carry much as it is, and your begineer skill levels dont help much.  First thing you need is patience.  Secound you need skills.  Specificaly for you problem would be engineering. The cost will not be 8mil.  Check the market in a starting region / view the whole region / and check for the lowest price.  Check history to make sure that the price you pick is consistant with prices over time, that way you know your getting the right one. 

I cant recall what the various low slot total cap level boosters are called or what they need for skills, but start with Engineering 1-2-then 3maybe. If that doesnt help you will need low the low slot eq to boost your total cap a bit more.  I would also suggest that you look to getting the top of the line frig. Agent missions should enable you to get one within a day or two.  Or gang up with some new players and mine together.  Or get hooked up with a corp or a kind soul.  If i was in game id shoot you some isk to help.

btw this is eve and we dont craft :)  thats in some other n00bian game. image

• RotAnimalRotAnimal Member Posts: 70

My guess is that you are still in your noob ship. The new ship is far inferior to any other ships in the game. It's a starter ship and it can't be too powerful or players would alt abuse.

You should buy yourself a new frigate, just any ship other then the noob ship. You will find that they all have a much higher powergrid and CPU so fitting it shouldn't be a problem.

Signature? I don't need no steeeenking signature!1!1!1

Signature? I don't need no steeeenking signature!1!1!1

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Thanks for the tips guys...

I'm currently in a bantam. I managed to get a skill book today for engineering, trained it and now training gunnery 5 (i think) It will take 9 days to train but off on my holidays for 8 days lol.

So no more EVE for me for a while :(

If any corps are recruiting...chatty and inquisitive noobs keep me in mind

cyas in a week! :)

Pan

Pan

• ArgeanArgean Member Posts: 126

Originally posted by panache
    Thanks for the tips guys...
    I'm currently in a bantam. I managed to get a skill book today for engineering, trained it and now training gunnery 5 (i think) It will take 9 days to train but off on my holidays for 8 days lol.
    So no more EVE for me for a while :(
    If any corps are recruiting...chatty and inquisitive noobs keep me in mind
    cyas in a week! :)Pan

A Bantam is not a bad ship, but not good for hunting in. It is better suited for mining. Try to save up some money and get a Kestral. They a better setup for hunting. Also do not waste the time to train Gunnery to L5 right now work on other skills like Missles. The Kestral is a Missle Frigate. Start with light missles and work your up to heavy as soon as you can.

Argean...... Caldri
    Rebel Mining Guild
    Eve-Online

Eve-Online

• DienekesDienekes Member Posts: 484

Originally posted by Argean

A Bantam is not a bad ship, but not good for hunting in. It is better suited for mining. Try to save up some money and get a Kestral. They a better setup for hunting. Also do not waste the time to train Gunnery to L5 right now work on other skills like Missles. The Kestral is a Missle Frigate. Start with light missles and work your up to heavy as soon as you can.

Argean...... Caldri
    Rebel Mining Guild
    Eve-Online

While I'll agree you'll want missles eventually since you can use them on all of the Caldari ships and the Caldari generally get a bonus I have to tell you to go with the weapon you prefer the most.  You can do decent fighting in a Merlin instead of a Kessie and then go MOA for your cruiser.  The problem with going Kessie and Caracal is your limited to a nearly full missle loadout.  In a Kessie you can't get turrets and in a Caracal depending on your loadout you might be severely hindering yourself with equipping turrets.  I only use turrets on my Cara for taking out fast frigs and then I'm usually sacrificing one of my kinetic missles or my defenders.  Sorry if it is too much info but plan your character based on how you want to play it because you can make all of the ships good if you have help or have some good skills.  ;)

"Feel free to hate me, but hate me for the right reasons."

"Your still ignorant if you believe the first thing you see when the blindfold is removed."

"Be smart enough to know I'm smarter than you."

speaking of turrets, how do the lasers work, as far as ammo? I recently got a medium pulse laser, or somesuch as loot, along with a focus crystal, but I'm not sure what's wrong as the laser won't fire. I'm not sure what I missed

While I'm asking stupid questions, I might as well ask if there's a cap on how many skill points you can have?

-------

• DienekesDienekes Member Posts: 484
    I haven't used lasers in a while but they don't use ammo.  Instead they use a focus crystal to determine the type of damage.  When your at the fitting screen and you first load your weapon, as I recall, you drag the focus crystal to the ammo slot for the laser turret you want to equip it on.  Make sure you have the right size as there are standard mediums and larges.  I also believe you can only load a focus crystal while at the fitting screen.  Sorry if you already knew this but other than that I dunno why your lasers might not be firing.  hehe

"Feel free to hate me, but hate me for the right reasons."

"Your still ignorant if you believe the first thing you see when the blindfold is removed."

"Be smart enough to know I'm smarter than you."

As it turns out it was because I was 1 point short of the required energy to fire it. I took out the shield booster I had, and oila. Nice damage, but the thing fired slower than dirt, so I went back to the rail gun.

And missles. Mmm, sure do loves them missles.

-------

• ArgeanArgean Member Posts: 126

Glad to hear that you figured it out. That is one of the challenges of the game. Trying to find that balance with your weaps and mods and still have power to operate them. But once you get some of your skills up it will help out alot.

Argean...... Caldari
    Rebel Mining Guild
    Eve-Online

Eve-Online

• grove123grove123 Member Posts: 38

one thing people fail to tell u is that u are going to need lots and lots and lots of skills.

Itll be cool if u can have others outfit your ship, but it wont work that way.

Basically the best thing to do is get money (join a corp), and buy and train in the basics of every skill.

Like u might find a missile turret for cheap, and think its for noobs. and u say to yourself, well i am a warrior class so i can use it. But it ends up u might need engineering, maintence, science, and misc skills to just equip it.

• FroztwolfFroztwolf Member Posts: 56

Tip: Never mix turret types on a ship and always use the race-specific type. All ships will give a bonus that applies only to its race-specific weapon type and without it you are losing a great advantage.
    If you want to use another turret type, get a ship that has a bonus for that type.
    This does not apply to missiles of course, they can be a part of the setup for all races.