Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

57 Active guild members new and old vets on Kettemoor!!!

hosalhosal Member Posts: 39

So yesterday marked 57 new and old vet players in the Novous guild! This is very exciting and just proves to everyone how much the kettemoor server is growing! We are averaging 2-3 new members a day! So join the fun, join the Kettemoor server!!!

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Not to rain on your parade, but my old guild hit 130 players, not toons, players, in the old days. Well over 200 toons counting alts. And this was a medium sized guild on a smaller server.

If 57 "players" is something to get excited about, this game is doing worse than people think.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Now that's kind of cool.

I can appreciate people trying to make the best of what they've got. But that's really what it is isn't it - making the best of what you've got? It's not 57 new accounts opened. It's likely 57 new toons from existing accounts or vet trials.

Still, I applaud the effort made.

• hosalhosal Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Not to rain on your parade, but my old guild hit 130 players, not toons, players, in the old days. Well over 200 toons counting alts. And this was a medium sized guild on a smaller server.
    If 57 "players" is something to get excited about, this game is doing worse than people think.

Yes, in the old days it was alot easier to get a guild that size.  Today, on kettemoor it is very, very tough.  Everybody knows what how the population of SWG is doing.  And 57 players is in less than 2 weeks.  It's something to be proud of, so you're deff. not "raining on my parade".

• vet-in-exilevet-in-exile Member Posts: 239
    Originally posted by hosal

Originally posted by Burntvet

Yes, in the old days it was alot easier to get a guild that size.  Today, on kettemoor it is very, very tough.  Everybody knows what how the population of SWG is doing.  And 57 players is in less than 2 weeks.  It's something to be proud of, so you're deff. not "raining on my parade".

Count them again when the free trial/vet trial ends.

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

I resubbed the other day. My toon is on Eclipse. Althlough the population is doing bad im having fun.

Dont confuse me for a fanboi tho. I was as heart broken as the next guy/girl when the CU and NGE hit. I ranted and raved on the boards. I protested...... damn i wanted to fly to the states and kick some ass. But to be honest there is nothing on the market that fills the hole SWg left. The only thing that comes close is.... thats right NGE SWG.

I'm gonna put my flame suit on and say...apart from the benny hill style combat and lack of 36 proffesions the game isnt actually that bad. The only thing I cant do now is grind out the proffesions that are no longer there. I do miss the old days but aint nothing gonna bring them back not even the bird.

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

We'll see how long it lasts...  No NEW subs...  That's they key. 

Originally posted by blondeh

I resubbed the other day. My toon is on Eclipse. Althlough the population is doing bad im having fun.
    Dont confuse me for a fanboi tho. I was as heart broken as the next guy/girl when the CU and NGE hit. I ranted and raved on the boards. I protested...... damn i wanted to fly to the states and kick some ass. But to be honest there is nothing on the market that fills the hole SWg left. The only thing that comes close is.... thats right NGE SWG.
    I'm gonna put my flame suit on and say...apart from the benny hill style combat and lack of 36 proffesions the game isnt actually that bad. The only thing I cant do now is grind out the proffesions that are no longer there. I do miss the old days but aint nothing gonna bring them back not even the bird.

I don't want to sound like I'm flaming anyone but by your own admission you'd rather be subbing to a game that they've chosen to deny you.

Instead you've accepted a lesser quality product because it's kind of filling a void left when they took away your game.

As a consumer do you not think you deserve better?

• hosalhosal Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Suvroc

I don't want to sound like I'm flaming anyone but by your own admission you'd rather be subbing to a game that they've chosen to deny you.

Instead you've accepted a lesser quality product because it's kind of filling a void left when they took away your game.

I think he means alot of mmo's on the market don't give him the type of satisfaction that swg does.  I feel the same way.

I think he means alot of mmo's on the market don't give him the type of satisfaction that swg does.  I feel the same way.

I didn't say otherwise....

I said that by his own admission SWG now is a lesser product of what it once was.

• DkevlarDkevlar Member Posts: 308

I didn't say otherwise....

I said that by his own admission SWG now is a lesser product of what it once was.

hmmm .. well.. i did the same as him, for the same reason... and while i agree with you, with some reservations... swg now i better than swg nge1.0. but worst than swg pre cu.

Still,  in the end , to a piont,  we, and i say we since I am not the only case,  have to compare swg not with swg but with other mmo's on the market. And what is happening to many is that we are returning... and i made a new subs on it , so it is not a vet trial etc, because we atm don't really have many other choices in terms of sandbox mmorpg's.  SWG now might be an inferior product to what it was once, but it is being paired with many new generation inferior products, and forgive me the sarcasm, but what is happening is tha swg has been inferior for so much time that it is beating most inferior things out there with experience...

I'll repeat something i wrote on this forums, it is sad that most mmorpg's after swg with the exceptions of WOW (that is a completly different kind of game) or LOTRO (niche game also) are lacking in som many things that even a zombie game like SWG ends being superior.

to a point even AOc and (no)funcom are passing SWG and SOE as the most hatred things in the mmorpg dimension

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I sure do miss Kette and the people there. 

You have a point about comparing SWG to other MMOs our right now, but that is the exact same logic that SOE has been following and is the reason the game is where it is. "How can we make SWG like WoW?"  Sadly they don't look like they will be changing that course of clonism.  The level based instanced dungeon loot centric game experience drowns out the last bits of sandbox in the game for me and the experience SWG is trying to offer is done so much better in so many other games right now. 

I do understand where you guys are coming from. I can appreciate your perspective.

But I feel that this is a kind of exploitation. You are denied what you bought, and in fact what you really want, and all the while they reap the profits of a lesser experience simply because it offers a taste of what you initially had in a supierior product.

I just cannot understand why people would want to make compromises to their online experiences - even when they're paying for it.

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779

I just cannot understand why people would want to make compromises to their online experiences - even when they're paying for it.

life is all about compromises and living with it. We have it in everything we do. If everything was perfect well we would not be human. If someone can make a better game many of us will be there including me because someone will have surpased what makes things fun for me and created a "more fun" game. However there are lots of compromises even to that. What if say I cant run the game on my computer do i just not play any games and watch tv I hate? or do I choose to play a game that will run?

It was raining today but I had to go pick up the cat from the vet at 4 pm before they closed, but I hate the rain. Do I forget about the cat to avoid getting wet? Do I go out in the soggy rain and get soaked and get the cat? Those are my two choices. So I compromised and went out and got wet.

What do you do if the government official elected to your government in your country is not the one you picked and you hate him? Do you compromise and remain there or do you leave the country? Well likely you stay as there is no perfect world so unless your a millionaire and found a desert island somewhere that removes you from life you stay put and put up with it because you like where you live (well enough its not perfect it may get too warm in the summer or too cold in the winter ..)

There is no perfect game only the ones that companies produce and in this case what happened years ago is in the past and well it was another game and it does not really any longer to relate to this one. Do I go play a new game ? I can try but I hated it and still prefered my old game so I went back. That was a choice and actualy not much of a compromise but there you have it.

Its life and its not perfect but its the only one we have. There are only two (well 3 actually) choices here
    a) play the game that you think is best
    b) play no games at all
    and I will add a third
    c) play a game you like less then SWG and pay money for it because you dont want to go back on a principle.

there is no
    d) there is a better game then SWG out there and I will never go back because this new game is better.

Well not much of a line of choices as D doesn't exist for those playing SWG and if it does then possibly its beacuse their computer wont run the newer ones so yet another compromise.. and they run the old game.

Its life and honestly the anger and hatred I see in some on this board makes me wonder how they run the rest of their lives. It gives me ulcers if this small matter is blown so out of proportion (and no we aren't talking about "just a game" we are talking about the real world decision to not accept anything unless its perfect or not have anything to do with sony. ) just how they handle other issues and if they have realized they are likely compromising about something while demanding perfection from something else.

It's interesting Unmax that you would equate making compromises in real life and how those compromises relate to this game when so many others here have said "it's just a game - get over it" or "get a life".

But still, you are right in that life is about compromises. But wouldn't it also be true that it's also apart of life to minimize those compromises?

Some of the things you mention as compromises in life are things well beyond your control - you cannot control the weather, you cannot control how others may vote.

A subscription to a game is something totally within your control. You have the power to make that choice.

• nashysmashynashysmashy Member Posts: 10

yup yup i just joined the kettemore server but never see ya guys around. any name to contact by would help xD but its a great thing you guys are doing for the vets and the SWG community

There is a huge difference between compromising, lowering standards and rewarding bad behavior.  Also you analogies are terrible and don't really share any similarities.

It's interesting Unmax that you would equate making compromises in real life and how those compromises relate to this game when so many others here have said "it's just a game - get over it" or "get a life".
    But still, you are right in that life is about compromises. But wouldn't it also be true that it's also apart of life to minimize those compromises?
    Some of the things you mention as compromises in life are things well beyond your control - you cannot control the weather, you cannot control how others may vote.
    A subscription to a game is something totally within your control. You have the power to make that choice.

yes its just a game as in why is everyone taking it so seriously but you spoke of the 15 bucks per month and how people are compromising a real world value.   So if you want to bring it into the real world which the 15 bucks a month is then seriously you have to like "get over it" because its only 15 bucks per month and not hate people that play the game so viscrally becaues they chose to play a game and pay 15 bucks a month.   You can't have it both ways.  If you speak of such a heavy handed compromise for like 15 bucks for online entertainment then to you its beyond just a game and form of entertainment and its become an almost life and death crusade as people *gasp* actualy post that they returned to the game and liked it.  That's the point and thanks for making it.   

As for the rest I had choices too :)

-the cat I could have left over and paid for the board until the rain stopped

-the election in my country no one is forcing me to live there, but I live in canada which in my opinion is one of the best countries in existance

-the game i have a choice as well heck even the computer I have a choice

so yeah life is full of comprimises and every single example I gave is actually under my control its whether I choose to compromise or hold fast to what I dont want that is the difference.   

As for the rest the hate is real, the "compromise" seems to be a real issue with many.   If it were not then people who posted about the game they liked or returned to would nto be accused of working for sony or being fanbois or called names and this board would not be the mess its in on a daily basis with people coming as if its such a big deal that they play a game .

Its only 15 bucks that's the point why is everyone making such an issue over a lousy 15 bucks and giving those who play the game such a hard time for saying so.    When there are so much more serious issues in the world.   Is it worth it?  In my opinion no.  I play a game I like and right now that game is SWG.  I find personally that its the best game on the market so I give them my money.  What is all the fuss about the fact that I give them my money and why is it so important to you and others that I not give it to them and lastly why oh why is everyone who chooses to go back or even play this game for the first place a simpleton or deluded and not aware of what they are doing?   Is this issue so serious? 

the answer to the last question is NO .. why then in the life I have described which is all about compromise whether you choose to actually compromise or not is the expense of a 15 dollar subscription fee so danged important to a small community of veterans who no longer play the game because they now hate it.   It looks like they made their choice.   The fact of the matter is that others have made theirs and to be honest there is no compromise on the part of many its mostly a question of what am i having fun with and do I want to pay to have that fun.  In my case the answer is yes and in other peoples cases the answer is yes.    SWG version one is gone now and I play version number two now and have fun and pay because of it.   Its not realy very hard to understand but I guarantee you that every life choice you make is probably a compromise including the toilet paper rolls you buy :)

Originally posted by ummax

why then in the life I have described which is all about compromise whether you choose to actually compromise or not is the expense of a 15 dollar subscription fee so danged important to a small community of veterans who no longer play the game because they now hate it.  

If your credit card was double billed for a months sub would you "compromise" by letting it go?

Or would you do something to remedy that issue?

why then in the life I have described which is all about compromise whether you choose to actually compromise or not is the expense of a 15 dollar subscription fee so danged important to a small community of veterans who no longer play the game because they now hate it.  

If your credit card was double billed for a months sub would you "compromise" by letting it go?

this doens't make sense  so I dont understand

If my credit card is double billed I would call about the mistake BECAUSE its a mistake and get it fixed but its still a choice if that is what your getting at but an obvious one that one makes when a mistake is made.  If the next statement is that your mad at sony cause they double billed you once then okay but does it make sense to scream it from the rooftops for 3 years?

I have been double billed and I have been ripped off blatently in my life and I have even been robbed once I dont go around for the rest of my life screaming about it if that is what your getting at.     My cable company charged me 300 bucks one month and I didnt get it back but I still use them because I like cable even though I was mad at them for awhile there was not much I could do about it because apparently some fine print I missed said it was a negative billing.   So I tried to get my money back and failed because even though what they did was not ethical it was legal and I had to upt up with it and make a decision.    I tried satellite and hated it to be honest and then I moved to a condo type set up and couldn't use one so I went back to cable in spite of some of their crappy business decisions.  

A lot of crap happens in life but I dont spend 3+ years yelling about it simply because if i yelled about every bad business practive or attempted to boycott those companies I be kind of without cable or internet or using something I hated as a "compromise".

So not quite sure what you mean.    There are choices in your example but no compromise the company did what it did and you just choose.    So not sure I understand really.   You try to get your money back sometimes you succeed and sometimes you fail.    Then you choose to do business or not, but you dont judge others based on whether they do business or not with them (i hope) because likely if they made that choice they have not had the negative experiences and feelings your having on the subject.  The same goes for SWG. 

Here is my 'story" I had basically stopped playing before the actual CU hit.  Yes I had a subscription but was in the process of deciding to keep it because quite frankly I had gotten borred with the game and was playing lineage 2.    When the CU hit I decided to just leave and did.  I was not ripped off.  I had no negative experiences as the game was just a game and I was already into something else.   It turned out that the game I was playing was in worse shape then what they were doing with swg.  Over time i wandered from game to game as they messed with the combat system there etc.  Two months ago I logged in just by accidents and found I could kill stuff and since all the games I was playing were lousy I resubbed and am very happy I had just decided to pop those disks in my drive and download the 3 years of patches.    So my experience was not particulary negative if at all.    So why and how am i compromising since I "admit" to liking this game as I dont see it as much of a compromise.   MY choices are play other games which i found lousy, watch tv, not play anything or play SWG.   My choice was to play.    How am i deluded, an idiot a retard and not able to grasp what sony "has done" 3 years ago.  I was there more or less.  I didnt experience the feelings others did and I just left.   So obviously my experience was different then yours was or others was with regards to what "sony did to me".   Everyone makes their own choices I made mine and it doesn't make me a simpleton, a retard or an idiot for making them anymore then it makes my friends or family simpletons, retards or idiots for using services I steer away from.  I dont make fun of them and I dont on a daily basis tell them about my woes that occured 3 years ago.   If you dont see what the problem is here then I'm sorry but the fact is

a) Yes I feel bad for those that are so hurt by what happened but itw as long ago and its time to heal and "get over it"

b) I never had that kind of problem with this game one day it was different and that was about it.. and I noticed and then another day 3 years later I resubbed and am enjoying myself .

c) People who presently play who are vets or who are not vets are not stupid or simpletons or even fanbois they simply like what they like and are old enough to decide for themselves what to play or not to and should not be condemmed or looked at strangely because you feel that they are somehow compromising themselves for making a decision based on their own personal view points.

so not sure I understand what your driving at.  If your trying to say sony double billed you well fine.  I guess it was enough to make YOU not want to continue.    It hasn't happened to others and never happened to me and quite franky if it did I probably didn't notice :)

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

ummax and these other people who are trying this little advertising campaign on behalf of SOE/LA are destroying a bit of MMO gaming for everyone when they do these things...

They are rewarding companies who treat their players unethically.  It's Stockholm Syndrome at the worst.  Why would ANY company hesitate to act the way SOE/LA did when people will go out of their way to do advertising for them?????

Anyone who financially supports SWG today is slapping the face of everyone who once got burned by most likely illegal and most certainly unethical business behavior.  I don't care it is has been 100 years since the NGE was secretly coded and then pushed on the world, corrupt business is corrupt business.  SOE used misrepresented subscription money to code and develop a new game while advertising and flat out lying about the existing one. 

ummax and the OP should be very proud of supporting a company that participates in this, without apology atonement.

If my credit card is double billed I would call about the mistake BECAUSE its a mistake and get it fixed but its still a choice if that is what your getting at but an obvious one that one makes when a mistake is made.  If the next statement is that your mad at sony cause they double billed you once then okay but does it make sense to scream it from the rooftops for 3 years?

I just found it interesting that you would imply that a $15 sub fee is "so danged important" to vets but you'll make an effort to retrieve $15 if it was taken from you.

But that is completely unrelated to this conversation.

You make some interesting points(albeit a little confusing in it's delivery). But the thing that I'd like to point out from all of this is that compromise, on the part of gamers, is apathy - and apathy is destroying this industry for everyone who wants more out of their online experiences.

Some things we have to make compromises on as it affects our lives in profound ways. As so many have pointed out this is just a game - and not compromising on this shouldn't have a profound affect on our lives.

Rather it should have a profound affect on the industry.

• HastorHadronHastorHadron Member Posts: 187
    Originally posted by nashysmashy

yup yup i just joined the kettemore server but never see ya guys around. any name to contact by would help xD but its a great thing you guys are doing for the vets and the SWG community

Email or send tells to the following (there are more but here are the names I know)

Imtheboss

Keilo

Hosal

Hunnymonster

Vadale

Kamar

Freica

That is just off the top of my head. So far, I cannot speak highly enough of the local Kettemoor population. They have gone to great lengths to make everyone feel welcome. I actually bought a full suit of battle armor for  100k (brought a tear to this cheap bastard's eye).

I cannot speak for the others, but I am having fun starting from scratch and going back to some of my favorite story-lines. I look forward to doing the corvette again. I look forward to being Boba Fetts monkey one more time...

Anyone interested should use the FREE trial first and foremost. Do not pay for it unless you are sure it is worth your time and cash. From my perspective, it is fun to be active again and running around helping people trying to get a feel for the game. Also, TBH this is the first time I truly leveled a toon. My characters were all pretty much at level 80 with the NGE and the new ones were crafters (which is still ridiculously easy compared to the old days).

Still not as good as the Pre-CU, but I am having fun with a good group of people on a good server.

• DkevlarDkevlar Member Posts: 308

I just found it interesting that you would imply that a $15 sub fee is "so danged important" to vets but you'll make an effort to retrieve $15 if it was taken from you.

You make some interesting points(albeit a little confusing in it's delivery). But the thing that I'd like to point out from all of this is that compromise, on the part of gamers, is apathy - and apathy is destroying this industry for everyone who wants more out of their online experiences.

Some things we have to make compromises on as it affects our lives in profound ways. As so many have pointed out this is just a game - and not compromising on this shouldn't have a profound affect on our lives.

~the problem is, the industry changed and most of the customers of that industry changed also. When i started playing MMORPG's, back in 1997 or so, most of th epeople that played them were kind of niche market. things like EQ or UO had sucess but that sucess was measured in few hundreds of thousand...  normally in the early 20's, Most kids played on consoles or didnt had money or parents willing to pay a subscription to a game. 

today the mmorpg clientele is much different. MMORPG's were massified, and that was actually bad. here is a lot of kids out there that will take anything  that looks good, and drop it for the next bug thing, even if that next big thing is just the same with other color.

Now, many of us, I included, complain about "they are doing this to our genre of game"  and similar.... Sadly this is not our "genre" anymore. Stopped being when it was massified. And no, it is not WoW's fault, more a dynamic of social life. WoW is actually a pretty good game, that acgieved exactly what their developers wanted, capture a broad audience that surpassed by far the previous generation of MMORPG's players.

Making a long story short, we are not important anymore. companies are not tailor making games for "us" like they did in the past, we were discarded and are irrelevant. The CU and SOE policy is living proof of that, and like many, I was HURT and quited, many quited... did it change anything in the way companies are making their games? in full honesty no.

Funcom is what is. Blizzard is alienating part of his hardcore audience and simplifying wow to satisfy the more casual players. SOE kind of finally understood that they cant make SWG a WoW and, apparently, is trying to get some of the old base  players back by slowly re introducing things they erased... beast mastery, the future weapon crafting update... by doing that it might alienate some of the "buck rogers" that play the game now and never experienced or understood a player base economy, but yet, for them i guess we are all sheeps... but it is not only for SOE, it is for all companies, and as long as the masses keep paying , that don't change...

so we enter in the compromise, like the other guy wrote. I either don't play or play something that is not exactly what i like but still has some of the fabric of the things i want. I want to play.  could simply say i need to play something due to a health situation (have leukemia). Most single player games don't provide the "fix" or "escape" i need, and among the MMORPG's i can chose from only 3 are my style, wow- but i'm wow burn out after playing it for 3.5 years; LOTRO- but i'm not really on the tolkien segment, and SWG, I?ll add vanguard simply because, from what i have been told, it improved a lot. I'm also a bit tired of medieval fantasy... so i have 3 choices, either go SWG or play mah-jong, or don't play anything. last 2 options are not what i want. 

• BeaumanBeauman Member UncommonPosts: 142

You are right, apathy is deteriorating the MMO industry.  But it isn't an apathy due to SOE, but more accurately due to Blizzard.

World of Warcraft was such a lighting-in-a-bottle one time hit, that now nearly every game development company wants to duplicate it.  Nevermind that doing such is akin to the studios trying to mimick Star Wars in the late 1970's and early 1980's, all of which ended in disaster.  Lighting-in-a-bottle is just that.

Companies that try to go further away from such an engine, like AoC or POTBS, run into a host of problems.  I feel one reason for this is that too many gamers make automatic comparisons to WoW, for any new game that comes out.  Think that is false, look at the Game X vs WoW threads that flood the gaming sites and forums whenever a new game is announced.

The problem with SWG, even the current state, is that despite being a far cry from what the Vets enjoyed in the Pre-CU era, for many it is still a better game than what is out there right now.  Obviously, if they felt that AoC, PoTBS, CoH, WoW, LoTRO, and et cetera were better, then they would be there.

Are returning Vets happy that SOE took away the original game?  I seriously doubt it.  Are they willing, though, to pay for the current SWG- which at least they still garner some enjoyment from- as opposed to playing a game they don't care for at all?  Obviously, the answer is yes, for them.

Is that rewarding bad behavior, questionable business tactics, or whatver else you want to call it?  To you and some others, sure.  For them, no it isn't.  For them it's about playing a game they still enjoy (be it less than before in some cases) versus playing a game they don't enjoy at all (obviously the other MMOs out there).

And not everyone wants to go without playing a MMO.  For example, I don't play off-line or console games.  When I am at home, don't feel like going out or reading, or the wife is out with her girlfriends . . . I log-in to my MMO of choice.  Of course, I don't enjoy the current Star Wars and don't sub to it.  I'm playing Pirates of the Carribean Online after tiring of CoH and WoW (and I think AoC is crap), as I await the 2 week trial for PoTBS.

But, I still understand where they are coming from.

Blizzard built an EQ style clone plane and simple.  Saying they are responsible for the apathy in the market is just plain wrong.  They built exactly what they set out to do.

The problem is there has been so many failures with the non-EQ clones that there just isn't much incentive to do anything else.  The market is hungry for something else as can be seen by the volume of Conan sales, but people and companies are to gunshy to do anything innovative or dangerous. 

Just because WoW struck paydirt doesn't mean they are responsible for the choices every other company makes with their products.  At some point companies need to be held responsible for their own choices and products and not blaming one company.