Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retried Vanguard - not impressed at all

2»

Comments

• RIchieVRIchieV Member Posts: 8

I felt that EQ2 was better than VG but SOE sucks hands down.  They don't know how to run MMOs.  VG wasn't very good more like a job than fun.  I played untill september 2007 so idk if it changed.

Rich V

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

in all honesty the whole MMO industry is in the shitter right now, the only games being produced are mainstream, grinders that have no character, no flexability, and little replayability. I am not subscribed to anything at the moment and I probably wont until I see something worth my time, until than I will enjoy single player RPG's rich is story and fun. Thou I might head back to EvE every now and than, still a very fun ride for a few months at a time.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by morpin 
    JustBe.. you have never actually played the game:

Originally posted by JustBe

Wouldn't play that game for free, I got 60 days free and the new expension for free on EQ2 and played 5 mins and realised why I didn't like the game again. As soon as I download Vanguard again I'll see the character models and quit so nah.........

It sounds like he has played both games in the past and tried them both again through the living legacy promotion.  I could be wrong, but your quote doesn't seem to say what you think it does.

• FlywheelFlywheel Member Posts: 60

I listed the games I did and the characters, etc, to make the point that the fantasy MMORPG genre is one of my favourite gaming styles and not something where I picked a game up out of a bargain bin now and again (I do like SciFi MMORPG as well, but unfortunately there are so few of those), I was trying to show that I am by no means new to this genre and I do find this to be my primary source of gaming entertainment, I also know a lot about the history of this style of game - Vanguard did not appeal to me for other reasons, I just did not find the game 'fun' and I found it to be buggy for me.

I dont normally post regularly on this site and have only done so a few times in recent weeks due to my major dissapointment in AoC and the lies from Funcom (shame really I was an AO player for a long time and I wanted so much more out of AoC). This is also the main reason I tried Vanguard again. I spend most of my time here as a lurker reading what other people think about various titles and to keep tabs on games I have left in the past in case any are worth returning to for another try. Unfortunately I find the whole attitude of MMO developers leaves a bad taste in my mouth at the moment as they are all too keen to release early, buggy games with a lack of content and features they had previously talked about are often missing, they are also keen to clone Wow (yes, before anyone posts I know WoW is a clone of the games before it but frankly WoW is what new games are compared to).

At the moment I am playing Hellgate: London, a game I would never normally have picked up due to early bad press and player feedback (plus it did not appeal to me on release) and I am actually quite enjoying it, just tonight I ran half a dozen missions with a couple of other players and had a laugh, I have only had it a couple of days and do not feel my money was wasted. I cannot say the same about some other games listed here.

Maybe my views on the genre have become clouded due to the amount of time I have spent with this style of gaming, then perhaps maybe the current crop of releases are just a pale imitation of what came before...

I defy anyone on these forums to find one single MMO title that offers the same scope of playstyles and the same living world and player interaction as UO when it all started out (before the travesty of spliting the world into Trammel and Felluca). Why is it that over a decade later this is one genre of gaming that has moved forward so little apart from a few fancier graphics engines ? Why is it that every new game is an EQ / WoW clone ? Why do all the new games feel like a levelling treadmill rather than a miniature world ? And why are you still reading this thread ?  

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702
    Originally posted by sundraziw889

I'm playing Vanguard right now and am not entirely impressed either. My issues are mainly due to lack of population on the PvP servers. The voice-overs are also f*cking terrible. I wish they didn't add them, makes the game seem chinsy.

I've played every released MMO on this site minus Archlord, Asheron's Call, Fury, HZ,Maplestory, and WWII online. I'm actually considering trying AC, seems like I missed the boat on that one :(.

As far as pure PvE goes, Anarchy Online and Everquest 1 are the "best of the worst" right now. Yes, I said it- Everquest ONE is better than Vanguard. Way more people Play EQ1, the content is better, and the world looks better IMO.
    As far as overall PvP and PvE viability, unfortunately (and I stress "unfortunately") World Of Warcraft is really the best game on the market right now. We've all played it, we all know its true. Most of us (mmorpg.com community) have just already burnt out on WoW towards the end of 2004.
    Also, many of us have spent lots of money to get new gaming rigs and are reluctant to play older titles because we'd feel like idiots for spending so much money to play newer games that suck.
    So, I'm playing Vanguard because i've played the shit out of WoW, and EvE is not fun for me, and I spent a lot of money on a new PC lol. That hardly constitutes VG as an "excellent" game, but it's definitely a viable option.

Intresting post. I do belive that this is why AOC has gotten so much hate from the forum user around here tbh. We have all spend alot of money to get a new nice rig to play the new thing- that is not better than the old rusty thing (wow).

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• OriginalNerdOriginalNerd Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by solareus

Yup Vanguard is not a console slasher game, so it won't appeal to the mass market (thank god)

I totally agree.  It seems like a lot of people are looking to get to max level in a week and do end game content.  That may be what a lot of people want but its not for everyone.  I want to be able to explore and enjoy the game.  I want to be able to do more than just leveling.  I want to take my time and look around and get into the game and not the speed of which I kill things and increase my level.  Sure leveling is part of the game but killing things in a Diablo fashion is not what everyone is looking for.  BTW. I love Diablo so I am not bashing it just making a point.

Also, why is it that if you do not like a game that you post it on a forum?  The way I am if I don't like something I move on to something I do like.  That's just me though.

• OriginalNerdOriginalNerd Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I said it- Everquest ONE is better than Vanguard. Way more people Play EQ1, the content is better, and the world looks better IMO.

It also has what 9 years worth of development.  All of that time will give anyone the opportunity to refine and adjust things and add new content.  Sure they are both MMO's but the comparison is very unbalanced.  I am  not saying that Vanguard is perfect but to compare a game that is 1 1/2 years old versus a 9 year old game is apples to oranges.  Obviously it is your opinion and this is how you see it.  I just don't see it the same way is all I am saying.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by Perception

Might be your choice of class.  I tried about 6 different ones before stumbling upon sorcerer, and then my view of the game changed.  The class just "fit" me.  I really liked the flow of his abilities.
    I tried necro as well, and tried to like it, but it was just not for me.  So if you are honestly looking for advice on how to enjoy the game, I'd suggest trying out each class until you find one that suits you.  Maybe warrior or monk?
    However, if you are just giving your last hoorah before leaving, then cya.

I actually had the same thing happen last night. I've been trying to get into Vanguard well enough to give it a try so I can see more than a starting area to get a feel for it and was hating every class I played, until I rolled a cleric. I'm only level 5, but enjoying it well enough that I should be able to get to the mid level content to see how I feel.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• sundraziw889sundraziw889 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by OriginalNerd

Yes, I said it- Everquest ONE is better than Vanguard. Way more people Play EQ1, the content is better, and the world looks better IMO.

It also has what 9 years worth of development.  All of that time will give anyone the opportunity to refine and adjust things and add new content.  Sure they are both MMO's but the comparison is very unbalanced.  I am  not saying that Vanguard is perfect but to compare a game that is 1 1/2 years old versus a 9 year old game is apples to oranges.  Obviously it is your opinion and this is how you see it.  I just don't see it the same way is all I am saying.

I agree with you OriginalNerd, that's my point, though. The two games aren't in the same league right now... although of course VG has only had a fraction of the time EQ has. After quitting in release I actually left my account active for half a year just to support the "fermenting" of the game. Vanguard has come a long way from release, it just needs more resources to be complete.

And as far as the voice overs, I didn't know you could disable them... I will do that. And it's definitely not a gamebreaker for me, but compared to the EQ2 voice-overs, its pretty pathetic. I actually thought someone was talking on Ventrilo when I first heard them. Little details like that take from the immersion factor... and Vanguard's biggest thing going for it is immersion. Not worth bickering about,though- you're right (whoever called me out on that).

Also, the PvP sever seems really, really, empty. Populations on Seradon seem fairly health in the scheme of MMOs other then WoW, though.