Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard has made an amazing 180 degree turn around.

zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

2 years ago I was one of the suckers who pre-ordered the game and had to deal with it's horrible launch.  I was completely shocked and disgusted that they released the game in the condition it was in.  I hated the game and doubted I would ever return.

But after the bad launch AoC had, someone told me to retry Vanguard so I did.  I can't believe the how much they turned this game around.  I'm now having just as much fun as I did when I first played EQ 9 years ago.  If you haven't taken a second look at VG I suggest that you do. 

Comments

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780

I have returned as well and I am very much enjoying it. Our guild is over 120 peeps now and we add 3 to 5 new people everyday the last couple of days. Had a new member last night who couldnt believe we had 20 peeps on at the same time in the guild, numbers are growing!

It all comes down to if your having fun and right now I have no complaints.

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Just wanted to add the game is still not perfect (but what game is?).  There's still a few bugged quests but it doesn't bother me because it's a game with a good community and grouping in a dungeon is just as fun as solo questing. 

Anyway, good luck to all of you finding the right game even if Vanguard isn't for you.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

I have been thinking about giving the game another shot.   The one thing that makes me hesitant is how slow you leveled at launch.  I remember being around level 13 and grinding for days without leveling.  It literally took hours of grinding in a two mag group to just pick up a couple of bubbles of xp. 

I keep reading about all the improvements since launch, and I now have have a computer that can run the game, but I haven't heard if they have adjusted the XP curve, or if it is still as punishing as it was at launch.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

I have been thinking about giving the game another shot.   The one thing that makes me hesitant is how slow you leveled at launch.  I remember being around level 13 and grinding for days without leveling.  It literally took hours of grinding in a two mag group to just pick up a couple of bubbles of xp. 
    I keep reading about all the improvements since launch, and I now have have a computer that can run the game, but I haven't heard if they have adjusted the XP curve, or if it is still as punishing as it was at launch.

The xp/level gain is probably like 3-4 times faster than it was at the release. On the other hand, you will be skipping lots of content (that's why they added a special ability that when you trigger, you don't get any XP at all). Nevertheless it is a question of a few hours now to level up anywhere in the level 20-50 range, and in a good group you can level up each hour or two.

REALITY CHECK

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

I played it 6 months ago and nearly cried.  Had to uninstall it after trying to get it running stable for a week.

Now it's well playable, and the gameplay really shines.  It's still got a few bugs but it runs good most of the time.  The animations are still terrible, and the character models have been temporariliy replaced by rather plasticky placeholders, with little customization, but the new character models and full customization are coming in in a couple of months.  The animations are also rather out of sync with the combat, jerky and laggy somehow, but this is ongoingly being worked on by the dev team, who I think have done a great job gradually improving the game over the past year.

If you have a modern comp (core 2 duo, 8800, lots of RAM) the game looks very good indeed, not as good as AoC but maybe slightly better than EQ2, or about the same, depending on how you look at it and what tastes you have.  The art design is rather nice, varied and inventive.  The music and sound fx are also top notch.

The gameplay is very sandboxy, quite deep and immersive.

Bottom line: when it's working this game is, as promised by the original devs (SIgil), the closest to a "spiritual successor" to EQ of any MMO out at the moment.  And now it works.

• EuthEuth Member Posts: 1

I can only give it my best recommendations.

The world of Telon is huge and there is lots to do. The community is mature and the graphics are absolutely stunning.

Build your own house, boat, guildhall etc.

Lurk into the world of diplomacy.

Try it out!

• tinywulftinywulf Member Posts: 106

Beyond the bugs, which these devs REALLY need to be fixing, this game brings back exploration, its just huge.

• mrguy123mrguy123 Member Posts: 69

Okay, I have to admit this to all the Vanguard promoters now. I am currently in a grey area on MMos, looking for a new one.  But I must say, the over-promotion of Vanguard is getting VERY annoying. We all get it; Vanguard has had an overhaul. It's a good game. But the problem is that everyone is pushing the game too hard. All you see is vanguard fans bashing AoC on their forums and promoting Vanguard. We all understand Vanguard is a good game now, but stop the overuse of promotion, because it's only turning people away from the desperateness.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by mrguy123

Okay, I have to admit this to all the Vanguard promoters now. I am currently in a grey area on MMos, looking for a new one.  But I must say, the over-promotion of Vanguard is getting VERY annoying. We all get it; Vanguard has had an overhaul. It's a good game. But the problem is that everyone is pushing the game too hard. All you see is vanguard fans bashing AoC on their forums and promoting Vanguard. We all understand Vanguard is a good game now, but stop the overuse of promotion, because it's only turning people away from the desperateness.

Aiight Dr. Phil, will do. Since when does this sort of advice apply to online gaming? So if a group of people come running at you telling you product "A" is much much much better than product "B," you're going to call them desperate? Where can I buy your book? (sarcasm)

Isaiah 41:10
  • DT-DyneDT-Dyne Member UncommonPosts: 38

Originally posted by Talemire

Aiight Dr. Phil, will do. Since when does this sort of advice apply to online gaming? So if a group of people come running at you telling you product "A" is much much much better than product "B," you're going to call them desperate? Where can I buy your book? (sarcasm)

I hate to break it to you but he is right. I'm not a blind follower of Vanguard nor am I biased against it but I'm starting to share that kind of view. The original poster's comments tell me almost nothing about the game except that he likes it now more than before. That's great news and I'm glad he is enjoying but the one missing feature of these forums of  www.mmorpg.com truly lack is a reason why.

What makes it worth playing? Why is it better now?

Did they improved the gameplay? The servers can handle stress better? I don't want you to tell me that you think the game is good. I want you to tell me why the game is good. I want reasons of what they changed that was so vital to you because they may have improved a feature that doesn't really appeal to me to begin with but is important to you.

If you explained the game was better because graphics improved greatly and I had originally played it and thought they were junk - than that might be a good reason for me look into trying it again. Or if the gameplay was laggy and clunky and they finally made all the necessary touchups. If people would tell me why they enjoyed these games I could really get a good idea of whether I'd like to try it or not.

Instead, the majority of posts tell me almost nothing. Take the second post for example..

Originally posted by Enforcer71

I have returned as well and I am very much enjoying it. Our guild is over 120 peeps now and we add 3 to 5 new people everyday the last couple of days. Had a new member last night who couldnt believe we had 20 peeps on at the same time in the guild, numbers are growing!

It still tells me almost nothing aside from the community might be growing. Is that really a viable reason to play a game? That's a reason that might suggest that it is "playable" but is by no means a convincing reason to play again. All it really tells me is it now may have a community. Does more players make a poor game good? Of course not.

I think we all understand what the original poster had intended to do. He wants you to try out Vanguard but gives you very little incentive to do it. If you really want people to try the game tell them what has improved rather than the "it is good because I said so". It is just a really weak reason all around.

I don't mean to pinpoint these two people because a countless number of people do it too and I think the forums would take a step in the right direction if the forum goers would make these changes.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

I don't actively bash AoC...the crappy game speaks for itself.  And I haven't seen another post about Vanguard in the LFGame forums (but I haven't look too hard either). 

• etwynnetwynn Member Posts: 219

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

DT-Dyne, here is your answer, Vanguard has ALWAYS been a decent game content wise. The game was a bit on the higher end of difficult they have fine tuned that to almost a perfect balance of fun VS challenge. On a performance side of things, they have turned was was the engine from hell into an engine that has started to show some polish and become very admirable on its performance even on lower end machines.

Vanguard is a haven, in my opinion, of any gamers out there looking for an rich mmo experience that truly makes them feel like they have entered an alternate reality. With no, i repeat, NO instancing...anywhere, you get an unbroken game world that feels like a real place and not either a cartoon playground, or on the other had, AoC's CRAZY instance madness.

All in all vanguard has made remarkable strides over the past 12 months, and the good and dedicated folks working on it deserve a HUGE pat on the back for their hard work. Lots still to be done, but I think out of Any team that has worked on an MMO, vanguards have shown it the most love.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261

After spending a few hours in Vanguard for the first time since March 2007,  I find that general performance has improved quite a bit,  I am getting the same performance on Balanced as I was on Highest performance, 15 months ago.  On the other hand the chunk lines are still a big problem and bother the heck out of me.

The other problem that the game shares with Age of Conan, is I find there is way too much running around doing nothing in the game, much more than in EQ2 for example.  The one hour walks have been eliminated with the riftway, but I find myself still running around more than actually doing anything, and find that boring as heck.

Since I had been away so long I was playing an new toon, so maybe getting an older one out who has a horse might make this more endurable.   Still a month to go on the free trial so will see how things go.....

• JustBeJustBe Member Posts: 495

Sure it's less buggy but all the problems with the game that put me off it in the first place are still unchanged.

----------------------------------------
    Talking about SWG much?

• etwynnetwynn Member Posts: 219

• ChicaneChicane Member Posts: 13

i've heard mixed reviews on vanguard, i'd like to try it for myself. is there a short trial ?

• StinkyPestStinkyPest Member Posts: 97

I can understand people seeing that VG is being overhyped... But to go as far and tell people what to say to you, to swing you is ridiculous. The point of this thread and other threads is to give people a little insight of what is going on... not to write a documentry or a list of every change that has happened since launch. People are not review sites, you have to do it yourself. Quite frankly if you're too lazy to even google vanguard for reviews.. or use the mmorpg link, this wouldn't be your game.

That said, I'm loving VG... but without the trial island part to add on to my opinion I can't really tell anyone to check it out.

Someone with a better computer than mine should really make up some high quality game trailers with direct links to DL or perhaps on a site like Veoh (youtube quality sucks too bad).

• DT-DyneDT-Dyne Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by StinkyPest

I can understand people seeing that VG is being overhyped... But to go as far and tell people what to say to you, to swing you is ridiculous. The point of this thread and other threads is to give people a little insight of what is going on... not to write a documentry or a list of every change that has happened since launch. People are not review sites, you have to do it yourself. Quite frankly if you're too lazy to even google vanguard for reviews.. or use the mmorpg link, this wouldn't be your game.

That said, I'm loving VG... but without the trial island part to add on to my opinion I can't really tell anyone to check it out.

Someone with a better computer than mine should really make up some high quality game trailers with direct links to DL or perhaps on a site like Veoh (youtube quality sucks too bad).

I'm struggling to tell whether or not this post was directed towards me - and if it was, is it serious? You seemed to have misread or simple misunderstood my post, so I'll be nice.

I'm not telling them "what to say" to "swing" me. No, I'm asking if you're going to post something positive about a game than naturally the positive stems from something. I want to know what is that something they enjoy? Whether it is graphics, gameplay, roleplay, crafting, questing, etc.

You're asking me to believe ANYONE that says ANY game is "good" like as if it were a fact in a book..without any real basis or reason.. that I should undoubtly believe them without questioning and my friend.. that IS ridiculous.. if not completely crazy.

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by DT-Dyne

Originally posted by Talemire

I hate to break it to you but he is right. I'm not a blind follower of Vanguard nor am I biased against it but I'm starting to share that kind of view. The original poster's comments tell me almost nothing about the game except that he likes it now more than before. That's great news and I'm glad he is enjoying but the one missing feature of these forums of  www.mmorpg.com truly lack is a reason why.

What makes it worth playing? Why is it better now?

Did they improved the gameplay? The servers can handle stress better? I don't want you to tell me that you think the game is good. I want you to tell me why the game is good. I want reasons of what they changed that was so vital to you because they may have improved a feature that doesn't really appeal to me to begin with but is important to you.

If you explained the game was better because graphics improved greatly and I had originally played it and thought they were junk - than that might be a good reason for me look into trying it again. Or if the gameplay was laggy and clunky and they finally made all the necessary touchups. If people would tell me why they enjoyed these games I could really get a good idea of whether I'd like to try it or not.

Instead, the majority of posts tell me almost nothing. Take the second post for example..

Originally posted by Enforcer71

It still tells me almost nothing aside from the community might be growing. Is that really a viable reason to play a game? That's a reason that might suggest that it is "playable" but is by no means a convincing reason to play again. All it really tells me is it now may have a community. Does more players make a poor game good? Of course not.

I think we all understand what the original poster had intended to do. He wants you to try out Vanguard but gives you very little incentive to do it. If you really want people to try the game tell them what has improved rather than the "it is good because I said so". It is just a really weak reason all around.

I don't mean to pinpoint these two people because a countless number of people do it too and I think the forums would take a step in the right direction if the forum goers would make these changes.

Well seeing as you used my post in there let me clear it up for you. All I did was agree with the OP that I am also enjoying the game.

secondly, I did post my review of the game for those who may be looking for more info, its called Vanguard Revisited.

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC