Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NVIDIA 9800 GX2 versus GTX 260

Gamefreek333Gamefreek333 Member Posts: 166

Ok, so I've got another question. I'm debating between which graphics card to put into my computer; the GX2 or GTX. I understand the GTX has 896 MB of memory (or whatever it is) and the GX2 has 1 GB. But I don't know which to pick. Here are my other specs for the computer (and I know they're not the best, but I'm trying to keep the price low [These are two different computers, because one of them allow a certain graphics card.] {Everything, but I think the processors are the same, and the Motherboard, and of course the graphics card}):

Processor:

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA® nForce 680i SLI Motherboard or Alienware® Approved AMD® 790FX Motherboard

System Drive: 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache  

All the ones with two different "choices", the first ones belong to one computer, and the second ones belong to another. Also, I'm getting this computer mainly so I can play Age of Conan on high, but not amazingly high. So please help me decide which computer to pick. (The GTX computer is slightly cheaper than the GX2 computer). Thank you everyone for your help. I hope this will end my computer searching, haha.

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Both the GTX 260, and 9800 GX2 will run you into the $400~$500 range.  They really aren't the best choice in graphics cards right now.  The 9800 GX2 is really like 2 8800 in sli.  So it consumes alot of power, and its extra performance isn't accepted by quite a few games.

The GTX260 is a new single card solution, yet it has trouble staying above its competition thats half its price.

At this point, I would recommend getting an HD4850, especially if price is an issue.  It performs nearly at the same scale as the GTX 260, but its only $170.

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

I wouldnt get an alienware system. I would buy the parts and assemble it myself.

Single card solutions are better atm because some games dont support sli/crossfire.

The 9800gx2 and gtx 260 are both overpriced...(if i had to id get the gtx260)

I would grab an ati4850 or two.....for 170 bucks its the best deal....

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Intel + ATI is the ideal setup right now.

But based on a 9800 GX2 vs a GTX 260, the 9800 GX2 will be faster. Buy the 9800 GX2.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Honestly, I'd probably get two 8800gt's and call it a day.

Not to mention I wouldn't waste the money on a pc setup using that motherboard. Opt for the 780i or the 790i, otherwise you're wasting your money.

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317
    Originally posted by daelnor

Not to mention I wouldn't waste the money on a pc setup using that motherboard. Opt for the 780i or the 790i, otherwise you're wasting your money.

sli is a waste of money

member of imminst.org

• 7earitup7earitup Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by n25philly

Originally posted by daelnor

sli is a waste of money

Only when buying the two latest cards for $700 a pop, not when your using bang for your buck cards like the 8800GT.