Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about processors...

Gamefreek333Gamefreek333 Member Posts: 166

Just a simple question:

Are AMD Processors equivalent to Intel?

Thanks!

Comments

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

No, they are not the same. A 2400 MHz AMD does not equal a 2400 MHz Intel right now. Intel has the fastest processors right now, but generally AMD processors provide more performance per dollar. If you are on a tight budget I'd suggest buying AMD, if not buy Intel, if you're in between you'll have to look up specific benchmarks for each processor.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Equivalent in what way?

Thats a yes and no question. It all depends on what exactly you are comparing.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I know there are equivalent AMD to Intel but as I haven't had an AMD cpu for 20years I've lost track. Is there a list somewhere that shows the Intel cpu with the equivalent AMD model?

• devacoredevacore Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Originally posted by Gamefreek333

Just a simple question:
    Thanks!

the word equivalent is a yes.  They are equivalent.   AMD has better numbers/cost but if you want to off load major cash on something you'll need to upgrade next year, totally go for intel.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i been with AMD ever since i scrapped my pentium 2 pos. Haven't left the AMD camp since....price and performance, i prefer those better.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

I would suggest you check out this link where they have benchmark test for a few processors.  Both Intel and AMD together.

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-x4,1935-18.html

And with Intel Nehalem coming out towards the end of this year, and make more accessible to consumers by next year (price i mean), i think AMD will have a hard time catching up.

RIP Orc Choppa

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Gamefreek333

Just a simple question:
    Thanks!

Can't be answered truly, unless you mention the purpose. Each proc has it's positives and negatives, AMD works good on some things better than Intel, and vice versa.

No proc is "the best", you get a proc for your needs (and for too many their budget).

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

If you are having the same issues that I had when I first started building pcs...I may be able to help a bit.

I initially steered away from AMD procs because I had no idea what I was buying. You could buy an intel whatever...and it would tell you "2.5ghz" so that you knew what you were buying. The AMD procs always had confusing numbers attached.

Basically, if you can find the documentation on the AMD processors that tell you how fast they are...it's basically the same.

Lately AMD procs seem to be better for scientific/ work based solutions, while the Intel are performing better at day to day tasks and gaming (for the most part.)

This will vary depending on what particular time you are looking into the market.

So in short...an AMD that is 2.5ghz is basically the same as an intel that is 2.5ghz.

For the average user, that is all you really need to know. Once you get into the enthusiast levels, thats when you really have to start paying attention to benchmarks, etc and so on.

Right now, though, I believe you get a better deal for your dollar with Intel...AMD's processor range is too close together to really benefit from the cost due to their problems with the Phenom platform.