Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me choose "THE LAST" MMORPG pls

SpellcoreSpellcore Member Posts: 10

as the title says, please help me choose MMORPG that I will play for the last time

My history : I've played WoW for 3 years since release, and Iam bored of it. I've played LotRO for 9 months since release, and Iam bored. Now Iam playing AoC and I really enjoy it, probably AoC will be my last MMORPG.

My problem : Next year (approx  around July 2009) I will marry  my girl friend, and  she doesn't like me playing  any  online game  (esp.  MMORPG type),  so that means no more MMORPG for me anymore. I will never play any MMORPG started from July 2009 :(

My request : please help me decide which MMORPG (yes...only ONE MMORPG)  is worth to play from today to next July 2009 (a solid ONE year total play time)

MMORPG Iam interested in :

* Fantasy game

* No lv grindfest  (ex. Korean MMORPG with 200 or 300 levels or billions of EXP to level up)

* Has PvP features but not a PK based game (I mean no FFA - killing everyone game, but more like faction kill or PvP zone for PvP purposes)

* Has good crafting

* Has raid boss encounters , but not mandatory (no more WoW's raid job pls)

* Graphic should be good enough (3D), I have a decent PC with quad core, geforce 9800 GX2, 4 gig of RAM, and XP & Vista ultimate OS.

* Quests based game, or at least has tons of quests. So I will not just kill mobs to level up. I love reading quest text and enjoy the story.

* I enjoy exploring maps and zones, taking screen shots (have at least 3k screen shots each MMORPG I've played above). So the game world must be really awesome (not just an empty place)

* Iam not a RP-er

* Iam a solo player, Iam looking for a MMORPG that I can solo level to lv cap, but grouping is fun (and guild too), so the game must have grouping - raiding features, more like end game, so I have something to do at lv cap.

* I play approx 6 hours a day

* Less bugs, good community, good admin/GM help, and should be a solid MMORPG with at least 3-4 years old (but newer game is fine tho)

* I love playing a mage-dps type, the game should have good magic caster on it

I was looking forward for WAR and TCoS but both games will be released approx end of this year, that means I only have 6 months left to play the game before July 2009, too late. Forget those games :(

I need a 1 year total solid play time, so Iam looking at these games :

* Age of Conan (currently playing this game)

* Everquest 2

* Vanguard

p.s You can add another title on the list above

which game do you guys think fill my description above ? you can compare AoC, EQ2, and Vanguard if you like, which is better and worth to play for a year.

please help me decide....game I will play for the last time (a year).

thanks in advance

Comments

• KillerEwokKillerEwok Member UncommonPosts: 118

It seems to me Guild Wars *might* fit the bill. Basically its a linear RPG with some MMO aspects (think D2 with better graphics, less hack'n'slash). Its a fun game that doesnt' really need 100000 hours of gameplay. Level cap is 20 but you get a shit ton of exp from quests. All the quests are also instanced zones outside towns. you grab a group and quests in a town and then head outside with your group and kick ass. PVP is pretty good IMO but its max 8v8 I believe. Decent graphics, they get better with each new expansion (lol) and there's no monthly fee.

• SunderSunder Member Posts: 334

Ride it out for a couple months if you are enjoying what you are playin right now, and gieve Warhammer Online a shot when it launches (If you can not get into the Beta that is on going right now) as there are not enough other promising titles that are definitely launching soon.  I can not in good conscience recommend any of the games you listed.  WAR is my current game of choice.

That said, Congratulations on your upcoming unity.  Best of wishes.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

I don't know about finding a game that will last a whole year, but I will sugest Hellgate: london due to the fact that I find it very solo freindly, maybe DDO Dungeons & Dragons Online, some solo and a very nice community to play with.

hope this helps :)

congrates on getting married!

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

lol, i cant believe you are letting your girlfriend choose your hobbies, or what you can and cant do in life. *hears a whip in the background* if my wife ever made me stop doing something i love to do (eg, play games) then she would no longer be my wife, end of story.

• SpellcoreSpellcore Member Posts: 10

I think 6 months is too short to enjoy a MMORPG, I really wanted to try WAR and (or) TCoS but the estimated time its released is meh, I probably can't wait that long =(

my option is AoC, EQ2, and Vanguard. But which one ?

Tbh AoC instance mode doesn't suit me, and I've heard Guild wars uses instance too, so I will skip GW (but thanks for your advice KillerEwok)

Originally posted by jayheld90

lol, i cant believe you are letting your girlfriend choose your hobbies, or what you can and cant do in life. *hears a whip in the background* if my wife ever made me stop doing something i love to do (eg, play games) then she would no longer be my wife, end of story.

hehe first time my GF was fine with the whole MMORPG world, she even played the game with me. But I've fallen deeper in to the game, played too much and lost my social life. Then she started to hate this type of game lol. She doesn't even know me still playing the game until now :p

I hope when I marry her, she will let me play games, as long as I don't play it too much, but atm she's declared a war against it =)

Playing game too much has been my habit since 2000, I admit it really hard to avoid it. I've been in relationship with her for 9 years now, and I don't think I choose game over my GF :p

• SunderSunder Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Spellcore

hehe first time my GF was fine with the whole MMORPG world, she even played the game with me. But I've fallen deeper in to the game, played too much and lost my social life. Then she started to hate this type of game lol. She doesn't even know me still playing the game until now :p

I hope when I marry her, she will let me play games, as long as I don't play it too much, but atm she's declared a war against it =)

Playing game too much has been my habit since 2000, I admit it really hard to avoid it. I've been in relationship with her for 9 years now, and I don't think I choose game over my GF :p

Key is balance my friend.  I am married and have 3 sons.  I am a long time gamer, dedicated father and husband, as well as the top employee at my place of employ.  It is all in managing your time.  Do not forsake one aspect of your life for another.  you can make time for your partner, and your game as well.  Another thing to consider, make friends with other couples who game. There are SO many couples who play together.  It may help ease the tenion of your situation to game with other couples.  Gaming with others who have such "outside responsibilities" will also help keep your own game time short, so you do not lose focus on what is important (The family.)

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

hehe Games are the thin end of the wedge, my friend.  It is just the first thing to go but if you're happy with it.  More power to you.  I think EQ2 might suit your play style.  I played it for a year and a half or so.  Only 3 weeks into Vanguard myself but it has more of an EQ1 feel to it.  Just my thoughts.  AoC I only lasted about 12 days.

• VespersVespers Member Posts: 246

Personally, I would go with Vanguard.

I have played all 3 of the games that you have mentioned.

I was in AoC beta for a year and then I played for the first month before I quit. The game was pushed out to market WAY too early. It will take them a year just to get that game to the point that it is a top-end game.

EQ2 is nice and I enjoyed my time in that game(about 2 years) but I eventually got bored.

Vanguard is where I am at now. It had a horrible launch similar to that of AoC but after 18 months of dedicated work by the developers, Vanguard has finally become the game that everyone hoped it would be.

Be warned though. My wife(who had similar views to your GF) saw me playing this game and when she saw the Raki race(little race of fox people that you can play) she fell in love with them. She started playing Vanguard and stole my computer to do it  :(

Guess it is time for me to buy a new computer.

thanks for replies guys :D

yeah both EQ2 and Vanguard are good MMORPG, and I've read Vanguard is getting much better nowdays...

does Vanguard have raid boss features ? I heard vanguard PvP server is a bit empty compared to PvE server, is there any PvP feature in a PvE server (ex. battle ground) ?

I will keep playing AoC until my sub is over around 20s July. Until then, which game to choose between AoC, Vanguard, and EQ2 ?

@ Sunder : thanks alot for your advice mate, I will try that :D

• TsollessTsolless Member Posts: 448

Eve Online. You can train skills while offline so you don't have to play so much. it also has a lengthy trial that will let you get used to the game. At least try it out.

Originally posted by Tsolless

Eve Online. You can train skills while offline so you don't have to play so much. it also has a lengthy trial that will let you get used to the game. At least try it out.

oh I forgot to mention, Iam looking for a fantasy MMORPG, so I skip EVE. Thanks anyway

EQ2 is 'a complete' MMORPG so far I read, it's probably too complicated for a newb like me, Vanguard is newer one, has EQ feel on it, better graphic (?) then EQ2.

jeez I can't decide which one I should pick, VG or EQ2 (I wish I could play both)

• Peregrine2Peregrine2 Member Posts: 169

I've played EQ2 a lot and currently play it, and have played Vanguard some and enjoyed it. One thing to keep in mind with Vanguard is that it's pretty low on population, so don't expect to be grouping frequently, and I'd recommend finding a good guild that you can hang out with.

I wouldn't say EQ2 is so complex, there are a lot of tools and websites that help explain how the game works, and in the newer starting areas there are NPCs that explain things - plus there is overall a very helpful community if you have questions.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

some points that I used to compare VG vs EQ2 (just my opinion tho) are :

EQ2 :

* more contents and polished - 4 expansions and 4 years old since launch

* have more end game contents - more raiding instances

* better character animation - especially magic animation ( I play mage class)

* performance is not as good as Vanguard - some said you have to tweak it down to run the game (not a big issue for me tho)

* more population - easier to find group, guild , or friends

* mentor system (same as AoC) - easier to group with high level players

* with all contents EQ2 offers I can play and enjoy this game for a year as my last MMORPG

* mature community

* no flying mounts

* shares a house to others

Vanguard :

* less contents and polished - newer game even it's getting better nowdays, if I have the time I should try this game next year, sadly I don't :(

* less end game contents - only 1 or 2 (?) raiding instances

* magic animation is not that good (at least that's what I watched in videos)

* less population - some said something bad about that, probably hard to find group (might be better with free trial on August)

* have better graphic - awesome view and bigger world

* better performance - some said Vanguard runs better in high end PC

* better crafting and unique gameplay - diplomacy

* mature community

* has flying mounts even if it's harder to get

* Iam afraid I can't enjoy all contents if I play this game for only a year as my last MMORPG, probably Vanguard will be much better next year.

*  the house isn't shared - everyone has 1 house

well there are more but the point is both vanguard and EQ2 has its good and bad side,  I need a game to play for a year as my last MMORPG, which should have more stuff to keep me playing it for a year (ex. raiding, grouping, even ppl to chat with) and I think Everquest 2 offers more than Vanguard does.

so after thinking really hard for 2 days, I've decided to play Everquest 2

thanks alot everyone to help me so far in this board, you guys are really nice people

cheers

• kalistarkalistar Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Vespers

Personally, I would go with Vanguard.
    I have played all 3 of the games that you have mentioned.
    I was in AoC beta for a year and then I played for the first month before I quit. The game was pushed out to market WAY too early. It will take them a year just to get that game to the point that it is a top-end game.
    EQ2 is nice and I enjoyed my time in that game(about 2 years) but I eventually got bored.
    Vanguard is where I am at now. It had a horrible launch similar to that of AoC but after 18 months of dedicated work by the developers, Vanguard has finally become the game that everyone hoped it would be.
    Be warned though. My wife(who had similar views to your GF) saw me playing this game and when she saw the Raki race(little race of fox people that you can play) she fell in love with them. She started playing Vanguard and stole my computer to do it  :(
    Guess it is time for me to buy a new computer.

i was at vanguard launch and i was at conan launch. i dont really find any similarities between the two launches at all. vanguards terrible launch is only similar to dark and light and a few other horrible games. many things can be said about age of conan but comparing it to vangaurd is just plain silly.

• etwynnetwynn Member Posts: 219

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Humm last MMO you'll ever play and your letting us help you pick it?!

I got it! With that kinda thought process Hello Kitty Online should be just right for you!

On a flip[/ more serious side your GF might actually like Hello Kitty online and then let you play some MMO's Its worth a try.

"Women marry men thinking they will change. Men marry women thinking they won't change."

• GoluhGoluh Member Posts: 374

Totally true, what is this world coming to? Where are the *real* men these days