Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post rating system for forums, like dailytech.com, but optional?

AmbikanAmbikan Member Posts: 54

I was wondering if anyone else felt that the forums could be overly harsh, and often difficult to find good information in?

There is a news site, called dailytech.com, that has a thread post rating system. A user has 2 powers: to either post(and participate) in a thread/discussion, or to rate the posts in it. Only one rating per post, per user, and thats only if the user has not posted in the thread at all. If a user decides to rate, instead of post, said user only gets 2 choices - up or down. Simple, yet effective. Also - users can't just rate, or just post - you have to participate in both, to get either privilege.

The main difference that I think would be good for this site, is for it to be off by default, and completely optional. That way, people who like the forums the way it is, would not have to change anything - it will be there only for people who want to turn it on.

Please see the site, and see how flames/irrational discussions are rated down, and good posts, with good information(or even just good humor!) get high ratings. If its only an option, then it should be a win/win, whether most users like it or not. Even if a thread is started by a "flame" post, the posts that make the most sense are the easiest to find, even if they are very far down on the reply chain.

Ideas/comments?

Waiting for:

-Games-
-Re-Launch of Hellgate:London US/EU Servers
-Diablo 3

-A PvE centric MMORPG with-
-Fast paced twitch-action combat that requires hand-eye coordination, where you can manually aim your attacks instead of having to acquire/lock target(s) first.
-FPS-style WASD and mouse control that determine your overall success when attacking or defending.

Comments

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

This website has too many 'violent' and 'obsessive' group thinks to make such a system worth paying attention to.  That's my best guess though you never know to be honest.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

The problem with such a system is that it will be naturally skewed to the popular opinion rather than fact and truth. People will vote down what they don't want to hear. You'll also see people getting out their voting bots that they used to vote down games like WoW and vote up games like EVE, and voting down popular posts that they don't like or voting up their own posts that were voted down. Such a system can never work, and we're better off relying on moderators to sort out the garbage.