Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm considering giving EVE an honest shot.

BarenMordeganBarenMordegan Member Posts: 6

Everytime I've tried the trial verison I find myself very discouraged at the progression system.  I heard there was some new expansion that came out, but I wasn't sure if anything had changed.  I personally refuse to pay for 5 months worth of gaming in order to get to a position to PvP with the veteran players.  In my eyes Veteran players should already have an advantage with the knowledge of the game mechanics, experience in the world, etc.  Why does it take me 6 months to actually get to the stage of PvP?

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me an educated answer, and straight forward answer, to my question.  AoC is failure, btw.

Comments

• HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175

The best way to answer your question, is that gang warfare, is how you can do well in PvP with low skills. And that Faction Warfare with the new expansion makes it far easier to get into a PvP gang if you are not in a player corp. However, these gangs can be limited by how well the gang can pull together, so you have to trust in your Fleet Commander, and that he won't keep players in the gang who don't follow orders.

With low skills, in a gang warfare environment, you can help get kills and live far easier then trying to go solo, or with 2 or 3 people, with low skills and a shallow wallet.

You can easily join a militia for any race and give it a try on a trial account. If it makes PvP fun for you without 5 months worth of work, then keep going after your two weeks. If you still feel you can't get any kills and live while enjoying yourself after the trial, then check back at the next expansion.

You have nothing to lose and it might be the best thing for trial account fun, and new player growth in PvP combat yet to hit Eve. It gives more of ease into it, and a sense of purpose.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Don't bother. Eve at the end of the day is just a spread sheet in space with a dull turn based combat system. If you crave a Space MMO that properly captures the great Wing Commander series and the more recent Freelancer with a real time twitch combat system then wait for JumpGate Evolution that's coming out later this year. If a spread sheet in space with a a very slow turn based combat system is your idea of Space MMO then by all means give Eve a try.

• CannesCannes Member Posts: 23

omg you again! IAmMMO... you need to get wacked upside the head everytime you post the same thing. Which is ALOT! Until you wize up and start posting something constructive.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

Don't bother. Eve at the end of the day is just a spread sheet in space with a dull turn based combat system. If you crave a Space MMO that properly captures the great Wing Commander series and the more recent Freelancer with a real time twitch combat system then wait for JumpGate Evolution that's coming out later this year. If a spread sheet in space with a a very slow turn based combat system is your idea of Space MMO then by all means give Eve a try.

i do not believe that either 'spread sheet' nor 'turn based' mean what you think they mean, in relation to eve.

i keep telling these guys shooting at me that it's NOT their turn and they have to wait until i've had MY turn... so yeah, i'm pretty sure that doesn't mean what you think it means, or people playing eve don't believe you.

not seeing any spreadsheets either, although i am waiting for some damned launchers to reload.  is that what you mean by 'spread sheet in space' -- me watching my launchers reload?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by BarenMordega

Everytime I've tried the trial verison I find myself very discouraged at the progression system.  I heard there was some new expansion that came out, but I wasn't sure if anything had changed.  I personally refuse to pay for 5 months worth of gaming in order to get to a position to PvP with the veteran players.  In my eyes Veteran players should already have an advantage with the knowledge of the game mechanics, experience in the world, etc.  Why does it take me 6 months to actually get to the stage of PvP?

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me an educated answer, and straight forward answer, to my question.  AoC is failure, btw.

An honest shot is what EVE deserves. Its the best mmo on the market imo. Im not much of a pvper, but i think the second guy explained everything pretty well.

• HowatchHowatch Member UncommonPosts: 36

I'm mission runner in EVE and for me and I love it. Recently I have started to look into pvp and it seems that it could be even more fun than blowing up mission rats.

It is always dangerous to fly around in EVE even if you are just running missions in high security space where Concord police will arrive and blow up anyone that attacks you unlawfully in there. Sure it is no guaranty that they will arrive before your ships is turned to dust but they will kill the offender as long as it happens  space with security 0.5 to 1.0. If you are running mission in lawless 0.0 space everyone is on his own and no police. In low security space, that is 0.1 to 0.4 there is no police but the sentry guns around stargates and station sentry guns can provide some safety for you if you are attacked but not really defend you.

So all of EVE is danger zone and at all times you should be careful and ready to warp out or dock at anytime expecially if you think suicide gang is roaming in your local system or next systems. 

What I particularly like in EVE is that if you make mistakes then you have to get over it by yourself, you can not RESTART in EVE. If you loose your ship it is gone and you have to get more ISK to buy another. Most things in EVE are produced by players and sold to other players on free market. The other thing I like is that you set skill training and it continues even if you are not online and it trains at the same rate for everyone.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

The key to eve is finding a good corporation that has similar goals has you. Im finally managing to get some of my buddies interested in EvE and we may give things a go on our own corp. Thats always been my sticking point with eve... not being able to get my buddies to play with me.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

Couldnt get my RL buddies to join but great thing bout EVE you might make new RL friends and what do you know they play EVE. I started a new job few months back and made new RL friends that play.

I like my current corp so much I would die for my CEO and put everything I got on the line for him. I did not feel this way bout my old corp and hated EVE for a bit cause we was getting overcharged.

So a good corp will make ya want to logon you guys know the drill

A bad corp will make ya want to quit

Don;'t be afraid to quit a bad corp but I am thankful for that bad corp cause I made great friends and we left it to form a new one

On topic newbies can contribute and get kills you will see. worse come to worse, just gank haulers, miners, etc and make fortune. Thats not my style personally I do alliance pvp but I'm just saying you can get kills and do gang warfare. Now fleet battles, um just bring salvagers and prepare to get your looting on I personally wouldnt bother bringing a frigate just to be told to stay in the back.this varies from alliance to alliance tho so dont quote me. My old Alliance was like that

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by BarenMordega

something in this post is very deja vu.

here's two things to consider, that people completely miss...

1 i can max level in WoW, or most MMOs, in two months or less, if i play just one toon and even with casual play.  this will usually be maxing out in whatever trade skills also.  even if i tried, i couldn't max out in eve for 20 years.  if i choose just ONE race's line of ships, and work on the various support skills, and then throw in some industrial, r&d/science and trade skills, just to be a well-rounded type -- i still won't max out for literal years.  how diverse is THAT compared to the same ole crap in most mmos?  oh, want to be a pally, warrior, 'lock, AND priest?  great, you get to do the same content over and over and over again.  want to change specialties in eve?  change the skills you're training and just keep doing wtfe you want to do.  no repeating of the same exact areas if you don't desire.

2 in these other mmos, once you max level, you can pretty much join in on the fighting/pvp with the other max levels.  if you're dueling (weak sauce), then you might not be so good against someone decked out in da uber raid gear; but in group fights, you should more than hold your own.  teamwork is what normally causes a win or loss in grou pvp.  same thing in eve.  the only thing is that in eve, the fights can get insanely large and the game just lock up for everyone.  plus, you get to actually fight for territory in eve, not just some random battleground that'll just swap sides for a few minutes until the other side decides THEY want it.

you want a sense of accomplishment -- play an mmo where you can actually build and conquer AND change the face of the map for good (or at least until another group comes and wages a huge war to remove you) -- that's eve.

eve is all about kicking asses, taking names, and building a bloody empire.  e m p i r e.  empire.

if you want to solo, you can be a great industrialist, trader, inventor, explorer even; but you won't build an empire.  ALTHOUGH, you could have your own POS (space station type thingie) and that be your mad professor's lab.

join a good group, and you can carve out a nation in space.

eve really isn't for everyone.  it's not dummied down for little kids and people with made-up diseases like ADD, or ADHD, or whatever they're calling it nowadays.  it's got a steep learning curve.  part of that steep learning curve is that mommy isn't there to hold your hand and tell you that no matter how crappily you play -- you're still a hero!  you're one of the best!    nope, not here.  if you suck, you'll know it.  you can either get better, or just keep sucking.  but have no doubt in your mind -- you will know that you suck.  you can join thousands of other inhabitants of new eden; but there won't be any wow-esque lines of, "join thousands of other heroes".  no one's mommy comes to new eden, unless she's a bad ass and raised some bad assed offspring.

having said that, have no illusions about it -- you'll have to work your way up, no hamster-wheel-grind-fest-of-raiding here to get the good stuff.  hell, you can get all the good stuff without ever having left a station.  but that means you'll have mastered trading and possibly industry.  you WILL have accomplished something.  it won't just be a matter of you put in X amount of hours and the uber-simple-easy game rewards you for your faithful contribution of a monthly sub.

hell no.  fortunes are made and lost in an instant, in eve online.

it's scary when you realize that every SUCCESSFUL profession in this game REQUIRES you to be a badass.  you pissed off and threatened some uber wealthy trader who has ZERO  combat skills?  what CAN he do to you?  he can hire a bunch of mercs to pod you repeatedly until you quit playing, or you come crawling back apologizing, or you just re-roll your toon.   sort of like a jabba the hut.  a total bad ass, cuz he's got the money, therefore the power.

eve is NOT for everyone.  and i thank God it's not.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• OzricoOzrico Member Posts: 3

damien makes a good post whether or not it applies to you.

If you don't tlike the progression system then you don't like it.  You know the score though.  You can skill while you sleep in Eve.  IIRC you can even stop your subscription and if you have a skill in the oven it keeps ticking until it's done.

Whether or not you feel you need 5 months of skilling before you can pvp is all you.  All you need do in Eve to contribute in group pvp is to fly a tackler, which would be a frig with an microwarp drive, a warp disrupter and a web.  You can roll a toon out of the box that can do that, and if not it can w/in a few hours.

Eve is a great game and is wonderfully complex.  While the learning curve is steep at first, you can be playing the game on your terms fairly soon, or you can look deeper still down the rabbit hole.  It has that to offer, if you want it.

• mosbornemosborne Member Posts: 7

EVE is real too real for some there are bullies and there is risk. I have played the games where pvp is meaningless, no losses no excitement .

My corp (guild) and I spend weeks building a multitude of things in high security space then we ship them to low  security space, sell them, buy materials to build with then rinse and repeat.

The profit is good but the real fun is running the gauntlet  between  Empire (high security) and  0.0  space . Sure it sucks when you lose weeks of work to pirates ( the freighter alone is a major investment) .  But it's the risk that makes it  that  much more sweet when you succeed.

In short, If you wanna feel the blood pounding in your ears and experience real victory and defeat with real rewards and losses. As well as sharing incredible experiences with mates who have been through hell and back with you. Welcome to EvE glad to have a new friend or enemy

But if you wanna whine because you took a risk and lost, please go play something else nobody in Eve is gonna give a tinkers damn. Get up, brush yourself off, take the lessons you've been taught, and get back in the game man.

Call me a fanboi if you want but IMO there is nothing that even compares to EVE