Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hellgate:London Cracks One Million Subscribers

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Who would have thought ? After a sub par release Flagship has turned this game around making it one of the best games on the market today. In less than a year the game now has more than 1 million active subscribers. Great job guys !

kotaku.com/5019541/microsofts-open-letter-to-pc-gamers-full-of-good-news

Comments

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I had heard it was a big hit in Asia.  Unfortunately, it still doesn't seem to be doing all that well in the US.   The US server still doesn't seem well populated.   Maybe the new content update, The Abyss Chronicles, will motivate people to play.  If they ever get around to uploading it, that is.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i always loved the game, even with its bugs, i pay the sub because frankly its dirt cheap, and the game is a great hack and slash in my honest opinion. Just as long as you don't treat it as an mmorpg or mmofps.....it is great.

• jmd10222jmd10222 Member Posts: 427

Im gonna give it another go.  Liked the game, but online was laggy as hell, but Ive heard they have fixed most of the issues.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by jmd10222

Im gonna give it another go.  Liked the game, but online was laggy as hell, but Ive heard they have fixed most of the issues.

Yeah they have fixed many things to make the game run a heck of alot better now and my pc isn't top notch either. Alot of people are playing on the Test Center because they want to see patch 2.0 which really looks awesome.  Lag is always an issue in just about every game I have played. Don't think there is an actual company who completely defeats the lag monster online, it comes in many forms unfortunately.

• paladinumpaladinum Member Posts: 120

I play wow for 3 years, in low pop and high pop servers..and my lag is a steady 120ms to 140ms...

Long time ago i had 300ms..but its still not lag..

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

If you are coming back, GET TO STONEHENGE. Everyone I know who quit the game quit before they got to stonehenge. Everyone who stayed got to stonehenge :D. I think I see a pattern here.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

1 million? That surprised me.

?

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Now break that down. Show how many are NA/EU subs, and how many are asian. Sad to say, but the asian countries will play any old thing.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by AkaJetson

1 million? That surprised me.

They have probably shifted 1 million copies of the game , but this post is misleading because there's no way 1 million have actually subbed to this game. Its a good game but remember you dont have to subscribe to play it. You have to register your game to play it online though and this is probably why everyone is confused.

• rev_lazarorev_lazaro Member Posts: 270

Log in to the game, and step foot in any station, you're going to see a crowd. The chat channels are filling up a bit more every day...I was in Stonehenge last night and was impressed by the numbers running around and grouping up.

It may not be the WoW-Killer blockbuster hit, but you trolls can pack your bags up and get over it: The game has improved, and more and more people are coming back or giving it a try, and staying.

Keep going "LOL Flagshipped", there's a lot of AAA-Developed MMO's that I think could learn a lesson or two for their devotion to the community. And it's starting to pay off for everyone.

For everyone else, see ya in Stonehenge until the Abyss opens up

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Chiram

If you are coming back, GET TO STONEHENGE. Everyone I know who quit the game quit before they got to stonehenge. Everyone who stayed got to stonehenge :D. I think I see a pattern here.

I quit the game when stonehenge came out.  I still don't like it, and I feel they were not listening to customers.  It'd be nice to see if this news gets confirmed by a reliable source.

BTW, comparing their subs to Crysis and AoC is not a good comparasin.  Crysis is not sub-based, and AoC just launced.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the MS person may have misquoted the press release

www.flagshipstudios.com/press_releases/hellgate_london_celebrates_successful_korean_launch

Hellgate: London boasts over 1 million accounts registered within the first two weeks of its open beta test

I'm trying to find another source for that number beyond Microsoft

EDIT:

have yet to find any confirmation from FSS about that 1 million active sub number

HGL selling well in Japan  (from FSS site)

Hellgate: London, which hit shelves this week on June 26th in Japan, has topped the country's PC game sales list according to online retail website Amazon. Gamasutra reported on this news in their weekly "Sailing The World" column which sourced the data from Amazon.co.jp's real-time charts of the continent's sales. Pre-order boxes are not included in this metric.

The full article can be found
    here.

• 1 million subs eh?  Grats to FSS, because after such a subpar release I frankly never thought they would achieve even close to that number.  :)  I'm glad I was wrong, because HGL really does some things well.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

1 million active subs my arse.

I could believe that they have sold a million copies. Although I haven't seen it in any game charts, unlike AOC and Crysis which have been all over them. So if it was a money bet, I'd be betting against.

I think mateys theory about 1 million beta trials is more likely.

But you never know.

• IKShadowIKShadow Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by baff

I could believe that they have sold a million copies. Although I haven't seen it in any game charts, unlike AOC and Crysis which have been all over them. So if it was a money bet, I'd be betting against.

But you never know.

Well if its in Asia then its the same as Blizzards 10m subscribers.

70% of that is in Asia where you dont sell 15$/month subscription but $0.70/month that cyber cafe's pay for their players.

Futilez[Do You Have What It Takes ?]

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

In Asia my arse.

How about in "no where". Or...... in "my imagination".

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by IKShadow

Originally posted by baff

But you never know.

Well if its in Asia then its the same as Blizzards 10m subscribers.

70% of that is in Asia where you dont sell 15$/month subscription but $0.70/month that cyber cafe's pay for their players.

You must have a problem with math. Blizzard states very clear that out of the 10M subs, 4.5 are in US/Europe & 5.5 in Asia.

How do you get 5.5/10 = 70% is beyond me.

Back to HG .. good for them. I am glad to see a sci-fi game doing well and this is exactly the kind of hack-n-slash taht i like. May be I will give it a chance & join the crowd too.

• DeadDingoDeadDingo Member Posts: 193

you must have a reading comprehension problem.

How you got 70% out of $0.70/month is beyond me.

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

A "major" game selling only one million copies worldwide is not that impressive at all.  They probably have less than 50k "subscribers" total worldwide and are far from a success.  Most reviewers have dogged the game, and it's going to take a lot of work for them to come back from it.  When you put yourself into the category of an MMORPG, there are certain expectations you have to live up to.  And they just didn't meet those enough to keep many players subscribed.

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170

I think Microsoft is miscounting . . . Unless they are counting free players I cannot believe there are 1 million players.  Every time I login there's no one on.  I should probably login sometime to check it out again...

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

I've only been playing for two weeks but on my server, Shulgoth, I've never seen a station that wasn't crowded with players.  Remember also that there are multiple instances of  each station so it's difficult to judge just how many people are on by what you see.  The global chat channels are very busy and scroll too fast for me to follow a conversation if I'm trying to do anything else at the same time.  I just wish less of that chat was gold spammers :-/

O course, none of that is evidence of one million subscribers.  But the game obviously has a healthy enough population to support some level of continued development.  It doesn't matter to me if a large proportion of the player base are on asian servers.  

But, as others have suggested, that one million number is probably something other than $9.99 subscriptions.

• thatmymp5thatmymp5 Member Posts: 7

1, 000,000.00 subscibers mean one million copyrights sales.

1 pc of DVD is $55 generalise it without including special edition.

therefore the total gross income will be

SGD                                                                                                            USD

55000000 Jul 19 0.7399 40,695,522.4280

With that est'd gross income, can't survive at all? U must be joking......OH, million players around the globe as they claimed and printed on your's manual. :P.

This is a VERY rough Figure with no accuracy but it's give an ideas of how much income can be earned.

Gross Income of $40millions est'd yet the Flagged Titanic Ship still FLAGGING SUNK?