Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Star Wars Galaxies history lesson: From launch to the NGE

KapazoKapazo Member UncommonPosts: 107

A galactic history lesson that begins "A long time ago ... "

www.massively.com/2008/06/26/a-star-wars-galaxies-history-lesson-from-launch-to-the-nge/

Comments

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585

What a horrible article. I don't think the author even played the game. He thinks Jedi were hologrinded from the beginning of the game to the NGE...didn't even mention the village. He's also pimping the official fanboi mantra: the game is in much better shape than it was before the NGE. Of course we know that isn't true considering players are leaving the game every single day and new players aren't coming in to replace them.

If he hadn't skipped so much of the game's actual history I would think it was just a marketing fluff piece but if SOE actually paid somebody to write that for them they are even dumber than I thought.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

When speaking of the CU the author says this...

"and (the rumour goes) subscriptions actually rose back to at-launch levels. Perhaps even beyond."

lol what?

• DistilerDistiler Member Posts: 416

The article smells a bit, you know...but let's wait to the next one about the post-NGE.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

I've only read a few paragraphs and it's painfully obvious that this guy is unaquainted with the facts.

I'm sorry, doofus, but it was FOUR holocrons and then silent.  If you had fewer than four holocrons and silent, it meant you already mastered a profession (they were NOT classes, you idiot) of the five (later goalpost moved to eight) professions you needed to master to unlock the FS slot.

Oh, and the NGE made combat a challenge?  I demand some of the crap that this guy is smoking.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

Originally posted by Suvroc

"and (the rumour goes) subscriptions actually rose back to at-launch levels. Perhaps even beyond."

lol what?

Someone is under the gun to suck up to SOE to keep those ad dollars flowing.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

lol what?

Bah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910
    Originally posted by pdxgeek

He's also pimping the official fanboi mantra: the game is in much better shape than it was before the NGE

He's "pimping" the OFFICIAL "fanboi" mantra, eh?

Your choice of words says a lot about you pdxgeek.

I think you are kind of emotional (about a PC game, no less).

Notice how other detractors of the game refrain from such immature discourse?

Give it a shot, I know you can do it.

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

• StuheroStuhero Member Posts: 143

lol what?

From my perspective I saw many old friends return during the CU and saw allot of new players too. I don't think it rose to or beyond earlier levels but since SOE never gave out sub numbers we will never know. Almost every single friend who came back and played through the CU left as soon as they saw the NGE.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by SioBabble

lol what?

Someone is under the gun to suck up to SOE to keep those ad dollars flowing.

Telling the truth is a good way to lose any insider access to SOE.  "Massively " has been shilling for SOE, and especially SWG, for several months now.  Every time there is a new publish, there is an article on "Massively" saying it is the greatest publish yet.  "Massively" is a very intellectually dishonest website.  They seem to want to out shill IGN.

Originally posted by Stuhero

lol what?

From my perspective I saw many old friends return during the CU and saw allot of new players too. I don't think it rose to or beyond earlier levels but since SOE never gave out sub numbers we will never know. Almost every single friend who came back and played through the CU left as soon as they saw the NGE.

I'm sure many people did return after the CU.

But I chose Lowca as my server on June 26/27 because it was mid-way down the server list. The servers at the top were FULL or very close to it so my friend and I wanted to be sure we could create toons on the same server. Even then I think Lowca may have still even got as high as very heavy or heavy, as did so many servers that first month.

• EvilsamEvilsam Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Stuhero

lol what?

But I chose Lowca as my server on June 26/27 because it was mid-way down the server list. The servers at the top were FULL or very close to it so my friend and I wanted to be sure we could create toons on the same server. Even then I think Lowca may have still even got as high as very heavy or heavy, as did so many servers that first month.

I played on Lowca from day one untill the CU..for over a year there were times Lowca was full..I made char's on a couple of servers to play when i couldn't get on Lowca.Not saying it happened every day,but it did happen enough that i made char's on other servers.

As for those "rumors"..Sadly that person must be hearing "voices" and needs to adjust his tinfoil hat a bit.

Originally posted by Evilsam

I played on Lowca from day one untill the CU..for over a year there were times Lowca was full..I made char's on a couple of servers to play when i couldn't get on Lowca.Not saying it happened every day,but it did happen enough that i made char's on other servers.

As for those "rumors"..Sadly that person must be hearing "voices" and needs to adjust his tinfoil hat a bit.

You know, I really wasn't sure if that was the case or not. I thought I remembered that happening but wasn't sure.

I too had charaters on other servers that were hardly ever used. I must have created them for that reason.

Who were you on Lowca BTW?

You know, I really wasn't sure if that was the case or not. I thought I remembered that happening but wasn't sure.

I too had charaters on other servers that were hardly ever used. I must have created them for that reason.

Yeah, I created a number of toons on other servers that I'd log into once in blue moon.  I've got at least a dozen alts that have "favor of the elders" but are below level 10.  If Ahazi went down, I'd log into one of the other servers on a toon and play there until Ahazi came back.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• StuheroStuhero Member Posts: 143
    Originally posted by SioBabble

Yeah, I created a number of toons on other servers that I'd log into once in blue moon.  I've got at least a dozen alts that have "favor of the elders" but are below level 10.  If Ahazi went down, I'd log into one of the other servers on a toon and play there until Ahazi came back.

You guys just reminded me of why I had toons on so many servers. My main was on Valcyn though it was not my first. We mainly made alts on other servers due to not being able to get into our own. I wonder when the last time SWG:NGE actually had a full server you couldnt get on. It has never happened to me on any of the vet trials and yes I did make toons on Bria, Chillastra, Ahazi and a few other "Heavy" Servers. As far as I can remember it has not happened since precu to me.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Yeah I haven't seen a Full Server since Pre-CU.  Since SOE has changed the stats who knows how many it takes now to be Heavy.  I doubt it is much more than 500 or so.

Tecmo Bowl.

• DistilerDistiler Member Posts: 416

The post-NGE era article is up:

http://www.massively.com/2008/06/27/a-star-wars-galaxies-history-lesson-the-post-nge-era/

Future additions to the game will build heavily on these two systems, with players expecting new Collections and Heroic Encounters in every Chapter push. The next announced Heroic Encounter is mind-blowing for players old and new: the Battle for Hoth. Of course, new story and lore elements are terrific, but there's still systems work to be done.

I think it's obvious that this article is paid and/or written from Autsin HQ. Anyway, not bad review overall but too much positive feeling and he leaves out the biggest issue, the low population in 2/3 of the servers.

• rejadrejad Member Posts: 346

lol what?

Wow.  That goes entirely in the face of the reasons we've been cited for the NGE.  If that statement was true, the NGE would have never happened.  Thanks for posting that tidbit, now I know that there is absolutely no reason to actually read this article.