Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cleaning monitors?

Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

I think my cleaning lady might have used windex on my flatscreen monitor does anyone know if this is a problem it does not seem to have had any effect yet though?

Comments

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Nah, I use Windex as well.  Just don't spray it directly onto the screen as it has a tendency to leak down past the bevel.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864

As seen on this website which I do agree with:

"You don't have to turn the monitor off before cleaning it, but this will help you see the smudges and smears. If your screen is merely dusty, you can wipe gently with a soft, cotton cloth or try a can of compressed air. But if your screen is downright grungy, you might have to resort to some tougher tactics.

Though some people recommend using Windex, ethyl alcohol and ammonia-based cleaners can yellow your flat-screen or laptop monitor over time, so it is best to avoid such products. You can find an array of commercial products specifically designed to clean LCD screens, but you may prefer to just head to your kitchen and mix up your own solution. Plain old water can do the trick, or you can concoct a solution of vinegar and water or isopropyl alcohol and water.

Always use a soft cotton cloth, rather than a rag or paper towel to wipe the screen. Some people recommend special electrostatic cloths, like those used to clean eyeglasses treated with anti-glare finish, or even dryer sheets. Apply the cleaning solution to your cloth rather than directly to the screen and wipe in one direction -- from the top of the screen to the bottom.

One final word of warning, never touch or press on your LCD screen with your fingers as this can cause the pixels to burn out."

Originally posted by spinach8puff

One final word of warning, never touch or press on your LCD screen with your fingers as this can cause the pixels to burn out."

WHAT?!  This is the only reason I clean my LCD and you ruin it for me. . .

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • TrueWarrior1TrueWarrior1 Member Posts: 154

Lmao windex eats away the film over the LCD screen. With this info feel free to take it as u will, but it isnt recommended to use windex lmao. Thats why stores like Bestbuy sells MONITOR WIPES!!!!

Darkfalls so revolutionary it uninstalls itself.

Originally posted by TrueWarrior1

Lmao windex eats away the film over the LCD screen. With this info feel free to take it as u will, but it isnt recommended to use windex lmao. Thats why stores like Bestbuy sells MONITOR WIPES!!!!

Haha LMAO. . .My monitor is over 5 years old and I am pretty sure the Windex has not ate my screen.  Also, on a side note Bestbuy sells monitor wipes because more money for alcohol wipes means they work better right?

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • EcranomicalEcranomical Member Posts: 326

Damp cloth... plain and simple.

• Gamefreek333Gamefreek333 Member Posts: 166

I used one of those moist towelletes you get from restaurants and stuff

Those really small ones that are usually scented like lemon, haha.

I did it cause my screen was immensley dusty, and it took it right off without doing anything to it. I'm on a laptop and im not sure if the screens are LCD's...

• 7earitup7earitup Member Posts: 48

Never, and I mean never use Windex or harsh cleaners like that on an LCD monitor. Simply take 50% Rubbing Alcohol and 50% water, mix them in a small glass or bowl, and then dampen a lint-free cloth or paper towel in it. Then you can scrub away all you'd like, just be sure not to push too hard. The alcohol allows the water to dry quickly and also gives it just enough kick to break through any grime and oils on the screen. And yes, having the monitor off helps quite a bit - look at the screen from an angle with a bright light shining on it preferably.

That is the absolute best solution I have found, and it works for both CRTs and LCDs.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Am I the only one here who has seen the true issue. This guy has a cleaning lady, I'm jealous.

Come to think of it though, if the OP is a guy "cleaning lady" is probably just code for wife/daughter/mom.

=)

Sarcasm aside, I used windex on my LCDs until I got my rear projection TV and the people at the store told me not to use windex on it, which got me thinking, they seem similar, looked it up and sure enough, windex is bad. I wouldn't go with wipes either, half alcohol and water works, most of the time water works.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• megaflux19megaflux19 Member Posts: 99

shammies and alcohol/water. and to clean fans or anything that you think has electricity running through it (ram,cpu ,w/e) lighter fluid is great, cuts through artic silver and dust and then evaporates (just like alcohol but with some degreaser like properties).

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Normally I just get two pieces of kitchen towel and fold them into quarter of it's original size. The first I put warm water on then squeeze it between my palms until its just moist then clean the screen. The second I use to wipe it dry. It works fine. Cleans off the snot and cat hairs pretty good...

• billiebillie Member UncommonPosts: 400

Power down the display, (NOT wood pulp like paper towels, toilet paper; shirt) dampen the rag/cloth, never spray the cleaning solution directly on the lcd display.
    4 part water 1 part vinegar (acetic acid) never-ever use harsh cleaners (acetone, ethyl alcohol [grain,] ammonia.)
    link1
    link2
    link3
    link4
    Why you should NOT use windex

LCD response rates:
    30ms/33fps, NTSC (30fps,) PAL (25fps,) movie (24fps) standards
    16ms/0.016sec/63fps, HDTV (60fps)
    12ms/83fps, VESA flicker-free with CRT 72fps, normal human eye perception
    8ms/125fps, 3D PC games req
    4ms/250fps, pro 3D games req.

grey to grey transition (moving images) > black/white rise-fall time (white to black-black to white)

SDT 480i (240 lines horiz) 640x480; std DVD 720x480 (dolby digital 5.1, lossy audio format lose some audio quality from source)
    EDT 480p (480 lines) 854x480 progressive
    HDT 720p (720 lines) 1280x720; 1080i (540 lines) 1920x1080 interlaced
    1080p 1920x1080, blue-ray disc

Component (two colour + one brightness signals, 720p, 1080i, analog) gn/bl/red rca plugs
    S video (colour and brightness signals, analog)
    Digital Video Interface (1080p, no HDMI audio, digital)
    High Definition Multimedia Interface (uncompressed 1080p, 7.1 ch audio, digital)

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

Isopropyl alcohol applied to a lint-free cloth (otherwise known as rubbing alcohol or tape head cleaner).

• TrueWarrior1TrueWarrior1 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Locklain

Originally posted by TrueWarrior1

Haha LMAO. . .My monitor is over 5 years old and I am pretty sure the Windex has not ate my screen.  Also, on a side note Bestbuy sells monitor wipes because more money for alcohol wipes means they work better right?

yup cause i was lieing. I really have a reason to lie to someone i dont know.... What ever bro take my advice or leave it but when u buy a NEW LCD i hope u use windex am im goin to laugh when i see a thread . "OH EM GEEEZZZZ why isnt my monitorz workin"

Darkfalls so revolutionary it uninstalls itself.

• CreasianCreasian Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Gamer_17

I think my cleaning lady might have used windex on my flatscreen monitor does anyone know if this is a problem it does not seem to have had any effect yet though?

Tell your cleaning lady she can use a cleaning solution but it must NOT contain alcohol or ammonia.  I repeat.  Do not clean with the two chemicals listed above. 

I also use a microfiber cloth.

• CreasianCreasian Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Drafell

Isopropyl alcohol applied to a lint-free cloth (otherwise known as rubbing alcohol or tape head cleaner).

^

rubbing (isopropyl) alchohol is okay.  However it should be dilutted in water.  Most use a 50/50 ratio of isopropyl/water for the home made solution.  I would put, say, 99% isopropyl on a cloth and rub away.

I still prefer no alcohol whatsoever.  I have a anti-glare coating on my CRT and I am extremly careful not to harm, distort, or chemically alter in any way.  LCD has a extremly think cover over the real screen that you dont want to mess up.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

A soft cotton cloth dampened with water is the best cleaning solution to use on a monitor.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Damp cloth followed by a dry towel and no cleaning lady,has always worked for me.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

I use Monster Screen Clean. It comes with a microfiber cloth and solution for $20. The bottle lasts about 7 months to a year (year for me and thats with two 24" LCD monitors, a 17" laptop monitor and a 36" HDTV screen cleaned once a week.)

You can pick it up at any Best Buy or Circuit City near the TVs.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• TykeroTykero Member Posts: 349

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882155176

It's a little pricy for a screen cleaner, but a price I'm willing to pay for peace of mind and reliability (plus the snazzy microfiber cloth).

More of this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000495+1249615833

-