Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion like Lineage 2....a Grind Fest???

2»

Comments

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860
    Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by djariel1

ok dude rly now...read first before posting !!! if u read u would know that aion is not a grindfest.....u can either quest to lv or grind ur choice......ive postd this like 300 times -.-

What makes you think grindfest and questing are mutually exclusive? Just because a game makes you finish 1.000 quests instead of 10.000 mobs to reach max level doesnt make it less of a grind.

Not saying that is how Aion will be like, just saying that questing and grinding does not have to be mutually exclusive.

Then again, what does grinding mean?

The post you're quoting states that aion gives you the choice to kill mobs or to quest in order to progress. That pretty much goes against what grinding means.

• StalkerousStalkerous Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Originally posted by Ephimero

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by djariel1

ok dude rly now...read first before posting !!! if u read u would know that aion is not a grindfest.....u can either quest to lv or grind ur choice......ive postd this like 300 times -.-

What makes you think grindfest and questing are mutually exclusive? Just because a game makes you finish 1.000 quests instead of 10.000 mobs to reach max level doesnt make it less of a grind.

Not saying that is how Aion will be like, just saying that questing and grinding does not have to be mutually exclusive.

Then again, what does grinding mean?

The post you're quoting states that aion gives you the choice to kill mobs or to quest in order to progress. That pretty much goes against what grinding means.

I'd have to agree and those that don't understand the meaning of griding, it means to spend  a lot of time just killing mobs none stop on the same spot for like 4 or 5 lvls and then moving on but AION is not about that it's more of a Choice as previously explained and so if you don't know what the game is about or how it runs don't go and asume something which is not true. 

• ZynroZynro Member Posts: 29

Well, when people talk about grinding, it's not usually all about the time it takes for one to level up by repeatedly bashing on enemies that give little to no exp for easy kills.

It's all about interest.

Thing is, the way I see it, grinding by means of quest gives the player a sense of reward, and if he notices a good reward from a quest, a sense that further quests will yield better and awesomer rewards. Thus, he continues to stay interested and deals with the grinding.

In another case, grinding can be painful, especially with crap quests. The player, after hours and hours of grinding and getting only one level, will just pack up and leave. Thus, he has lost interest and quits.

Please note that my "player" is a CASUAL gamer. Not a hardcore "Oh-my-god-I-Have-To-Win-This-MMO" gamer.

So, essentially, quests, in my mind, are needed, and don't count as "Grinding" in my mind. The quests better be damn good though, and not "Kill 100 enemies for this crappy pair of -5 STR shoes".

-------------------
    Better to keep your mouth shut lest others take you for a fool, then to open it and remove all doubt.

• Originally posted by Neyro

Well, when people talk about grinding, it's not usually all about the time it takes for one to level up by repeatedly bashing on enemies that give little to no exp for easy kills.
    It's all about interest.
    Thing is, the way I see it, grinding by means of quest gives the player a sense of reward, and if he notices a good reward from a quest, a sense that further quests will yield better and awesomer rewards. Thus, he continues to stay interested and deals with the grinding.
    In another case, grinding can be painful, especially with crap quests. The player, after hours and hours of grinding and getting only one level, will just pack up and leave. Thus, he has lost interest and quits.

Please note that my "player" is a CASUAL gamer. Not a hardcore "Oh-my-god-I-Have-To-Win-This-MMO" gamer.

So, essentially, quests, in my mind, are needed, and don't count as "Grinding" in my mind. The quests better be damn good though, and not "Kill 100 enemies for this crappy pair of -5 STR shoes".

I agree. I am hoping that it takes some effort to reach top levels unlike many P2P games that have recently come out. It seems that many of them can have hard core players reach top level with minimal effort. As long as the quests are good and there are choices in quests. I don't want the only questline to be a very linear approach to questing that basically requires you to go from zone A to B to C etc.

If the game has alot of diversity in what you can choose to do with your playtime it looks like it can be successful.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

These threads are becoming a grind.

• neosurfeurneosurfeur Member UncommonPosts: 193

http://videos.curse.com/details/1898/

Go see this movie and after let me heard its not grinding ???

Did you haed about Korean complain cu

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860
    Originally posted by neosurfeur

http://videos.curse.com/details/1898/

Go see this movie and after let me heard its not grinding ???
    Did you haed about Korean complain cu

Did you know the guy playing is the admin from Aionsource, who knows nothing about the korean language? lol

He said he would have leveled faster to 10 if he did quests, but he couldn't understand anything about them.

• killer4hirekiller4hire Member Posts: 57

I, for one, hope this game requires more time than a few weeks to reach the max level and the character development is spaced out.  You get a much better sense of accomplishment when it takes some time and effort.  Not to mention, most quick-leveling, fast developing games end up having an immature community that ruins the game experience.  I'm not saying I want it to take years for an average player to cap, but progression of a character should take some time, and when things are earned, it is much more satisfying.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

I hope it's a grindfest. I like combat experience oriented games that foster grouping for long periods of time and socializing. Grinding accomplishes that goal. Quest based experience games like WoW and LoTRO do not.

• rasgrixrasgrix Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

I hope it's a grindfest. I like combat experience oriented games that foster grouping for long periods of time and socializing. Grinding accomplishes that goal. Quest based experience games like WoW and LoTRO do not.

Well this game is designed for different categories of players but I would think it will be quest-based because many players don't like grinding, but I'm sure you can also grind.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I love grinding.

Quests are ok but they become so tedious far too quickly and it always feels scripted at least with grinding you can make your own story for why your having to kill 1000 pigs

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

just to ease the mind of the grinders, if you want you can "easily" grind up to 50, if everything goes right it will take about the same time as it would take questing, however grinding+questing will beat both :>

• niktokniktok Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Alyvian

just to ease the mind of the grinders, if you want you can "easily" grind up to 50, if everything goes right it will take about the same time as it would take questing, however grinding+questing will beat both :>

The problem with the above statement and with grinder's mentalities (not that it's really a problem, as I myself am a grinder mind you), is that grinders want EVERYONE to be in the same boat. Saying : "Well *you* can grind and I can do quests" defeats the whole intention behind a grinder's mindset.

Simply: If it takes me 100 years to get to max level, I'm all for it, as long as everyone else has to go through the same monotony/pain/misery I do.  It's not about people having fun, it's about reaching max level and having something to be proud of. There is no sense of accomplishment if I can make max level in less than a week (questing or grinding).

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

thing is, ya wont reach the cap for quite a while :> not with the abyss point system (cap lvl maybe, but not cap gear/fortress etc)

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by niktok

Originally posted by Alyvian

The problem with the above statement and with grinder's mentalities (not that it's really a problem, as I myself am a grinder mind you), is that grinders want EVERYONE to be in the same boat. Saying : "Well *you* can grind and I can do quests" defeats the whole intention behind a grinder's mindset.

Simply: If it takes me 100 years to get to max level, I'm all for it, as long as everyone else has to go through the same monotony/pain/misery I do.  It's not about people having fun, it's about reaching max level and having something to be proud of. There is no sense of accomplishment if I can make max level in less than a week (questing or grinding).

i find that statement incorrect take Vanguard for example main quest lines I would do but I would never take any crappy quests for xp i chose to go killing instead whilst in my head I was Itreh the Ranger honing my skills for the trials i knew where ahead many people hit 50 1month to 6 weeks ahead of me and I didnt care I was enjoying how I grind/rp my char fair enough I may be a rarity and not be on the quickest push to max as possible but I just cant get enjoyment from non structured quest lines especially go here kill 100 x's id rather just meander about killing 1000s of x's

• PyroAmosPyroAmos Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by killer4hire

I, for one, hope this game requires more time than a few weeks to reach the max level and the character development is spaced out.  You get a much better sense of accomplishment when it takes some time and effort.  Not to mention, most quick-leveling, fast developing games end up having an immature community that ruins the game experience.  I'm not saying I want it to take years for an average player to cap, but progression of a character should take some time, and when things are earned, it is much more satisfying.

the best games are the ones where average players never cap.

Check out my site - www.pyroamos.com