Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fail.

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Someone let me play it and if this game isn't dead in a few months I'd be very surprised. Servers are either dead or very underused.

The combat and controls annoy me to no end.

Remind me never to touch SoE contaminated games again.

Comments

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

It's not really SoE's fault here.  FLS has complete control over any aspect of the game, and SoE only handles billing and promotion.

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585
    Originally posted by Vetarnias

It's not really SoE's fault here.  FLS has complete control over any aspect of the game, and SoE only handles billing and promotion.

Just being associated with SOE is usually a good enough indicator of a bad game. The Station Pass has become the hospice of mmorpgs and companies with a decent product don't want to be associated with it. We all know SOE isn't responsible for the failings of PotBS but the very fact that they had to go with SOE in spite of their reputation was a huge red flag.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by pdxgeek

Just being associated with SOE is usually a good enough indicator of a bad game. The Station Pass has become the hospice of mmorpgs and companies with a decent product don't want to be associated with it. We all know SOE isn't responsible for the failings of PotBS but the very fact that they had to go with SOE in spite of their reputation was a huge red flag.

Well according to these forums(mmorpg.com in general) decent MMO's don't exist .So it's not only SOE housing a bunch of dead products I guess.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Malickiebloo

Originally posted by pdxgeek

Well according to these forums(mmorpg.com in general) decent MMO's don't exist .So it's not only SOE housing a bunch of dead products I guess.

decent ones exist, if by decent you mean bland and average.  very few "good" mmos exist. 

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

SoE ruined EQ, and SWG.

SoE Fixed EQ2, and Vanguard

SoE did nothing to, Matrix, and Pirates

• BeaumanBeauman Member UncommonPosts: 142

Actually, SOE and LucasArts ruined SWG.

LucasArts long since admitted that SOE wasn't alone in that one, and SOE doesn't really call the shots on SWG.  No Star Wars licensee gets that kind of deal.

For those that have hopes for a BioWare/LucasArts Star Wars MMO, BioWare still won't have full autonomy on it, regardless of fan pipe-dreams.

SOE fixed Vanguard and EQ2.  Agreed.  But SOE also bought Vanguard, first.

SOE did nothing to Matrix.  Again, agreed.  SOE bought Matrix only to get DC Online, both of which were under license to Monolith Productions, and both of which WB wanted elsewhere in the end.  SOE never really wanted Matrix, that much has been obvious since the buy-out first happened.

SOE can't do anything for Pirates.  It's owned my FLS.  SOE is just the distributor/host provider. 

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Beauman

LucasArts long since admitted that SOE wasn't alone in that one, and SOE doesn't really call the shots on SWG.  No Star Wars licensee gets that kind of deal.
    For those that have hopes for a BioWare/LucasArts Star Wars MMO, BioWare still won't have full autonomy on it, regardless of fan pipe-dreams.
    SOE fixed Vanguard and EQ2.  Agreed.  But SOE also bought Vanguard, first.
    SOE did nothing to Matrix.  Again, agreed.  SOE bought Matrix only to get DC Online, both of which were under license to Monolith Productions, and both of which WB wanted elsewhere in the end.  SOE never really wanted Matrix, that much has been obvious since the buy-out first happened.
    SOE can't do anything for Pirates.  It's owned my FLS.  SOE is just the distributor/host provider. 

MMORPG.com Moderators / Staff,

How about an SOE forum?

This post is a classic example of an SOE post.  Really, it has nothing to do with PotBS.  There are a ton of posts like this.

SOE has been involved with several of the MMOs here and really there are enough SOE threads and posts to sustain their own sub forum?

It would also give you somewhere appropriate to move discussions like this which drift away from discussing any one particular game (PotBS in this case)

How about it?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Actually, I'm more than happy to remain on a PoTBS topic.  But when a poster comes in talking about how Company X (be it Blizzard, SOE, FLS, or whomever) did Y and Z, and is incorrect in the information he/she is posting to the public, I'll be inclined to set it straight.

As for the PoTBS portion of the topic . . . much as I would love to blame SOE for the obvious problems with PoTBS, the only company at fault is FLS.

Pure and simple.

• trueswgvettrueswgvet Member Posts: 70

I'm sorry but this is absolutely incorrect. Two ex-SOE developers have now stated that SOE designed and developed the NGE and sold it to LucasArts as a way to increase subs. LA is certainly responsible for not taking action when it became apparent that the NGE was a huge disaster but they had nothing to do with the design, development and implementation of the NGE.

Originally posted by trueswgvet

I'm sorry but this is absolutely incorrect. Two ex-SOE developers have now stated that SOE designed and developed the NGE and sold it to LucasArts as a way to increase subs. LA is certainly responsible for not taking action when it became apparent that the NGE was a huge disaster but they had nothing to do with the design, development and implementation of the NGE.

Basically my point.  SOE and LucasArts ruined it.  LucasArts called the shots, and went with something they should not have.  Let's be honest, LucasArts are not newbies to the Video Game market or world.

Regardless of what SOE took to them, LucasArts gave the go-ahead to send it Live.

I never once said in my post that LucasArts did any NGE design work.  I said they called the shots.  And they did when they approved it.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

SoE Fixed EQ2,

You can't make this statement without some qualification.  In fact, SoE "fixed" EQ2 by removing a ton of idiotic and game-breaking feature that they implemented in the game at release.  I don't think you can count the removal of features they orginally had in the game as "fixing" it.  That's like patting someone on the back and calling them brilliant because they finally realized hitting themselves in the head with a hammer was a bad idea. 

Some of the features that EQ2 had at release that SoE removed from the game to "fix" it:

- Locked encounters (still available, but off by default)

- Group death penalty (one person in your party dies, you all get debt)

- Mob exp grouping (a group of 4 mobs required you to kill all 4 mobs before you got any exp for any of them, even if you'd already killed three of the mobs in the group before you died)

- Must remain logged into the game to sell items (you had to go to your room, turn on a vendor option and remain logged into the game to sell things.)

- Harsh death penalties (now the death penality is almost laughably non-existent)

These are just some of the features that SoE removed from the game to "fix" it.  The fact they were in the game to begin with only proves without a shadow of a doubt that SoE shouldn't even be in the gaming industry.  They admitted that these features were all mistakes by slowly phasing them out over the first 1.5 years of EQ2 life.

So I wish people would quit saying that SoE fixed EQ2.  They did no such thing.

I will never argue that SOE should not be in the MMO business.

EQ2 was broken at launch, they removed stuff and fixed it.

I was able to procreate since birth, got snipped and fixed it.

Same difference. 

• Mark701Mark701 Member Posts: 108

Tend to agree with you. If the game was good, people would play it, it wouldn't matter if SOE published or marketed it. I played one month and was completely bored. Very dissapointing because I was looking forward to a break from beating up orcs and wargs.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

SoE ruined EQ, and SWG.

SoE Fixed EQ2, and Vanguard

SoE did nothing to, Matrix, and Pirates

SOE fixed the Performance of MXO , and revamped the combat system , though it did seem the community was split down the middle over it. MXO performance wise at launch can be compared to how poorly optimized Vanguard was. So I wouldn't go as far to say they didn't do anything for MXO.

• funnylumpyfunnylumpy Member Posts: 212

PotBS was not as good as I hoped but then again I'm used to quality pirate games from akella..

Too bad they're nto planning to do a mmo or multiplayer pirate game.

PotBS is dead boring if you play alone as most mmo is.. I mean who play mmo to solo??? that's jus absurd.

People love to hate SOE I have nothing against them or other companies... they're just companies...

trying their best to earn money they dont' care about people anyway..

if you don't like a game just move on to another one or go back to the ones you like.

• trueswgvettrueswgvet Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Mark701

Tend to agree with you. If the game was good, people would play it, it wouldn't matter if SOE published or marketed it.

If the game was good they wouldn't have been forced to use SOE as a publisher. The station pass has become the bargain basement of the mmorpg world and top tier games don't show up there. You kind of get the feeling that SOE offered FLS a deal they couldn't refuse but look what they got for their money: association with the most hated company in the mmorpg world, poor box distribution, virtually no advertising and constant problems with the SOE launcher and patch downloads.

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

When I played EQ2 at the first month after game released, the game crafting changed so I quit after one month. MMORPG is very sensitive to change stats, policy things like that owned by player. WOW also changed stats constantly and you can see Rogue has been nerfed constantly and then all classes being nerfed every month.  OK, it was in the EULA, you have to accept it but you don't have to accept to pay to play. POTBS is a creative game I hope they will do better.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

This game wasnt bad, just released at the wrong time and was still a BETA when they released it. I'd play it over Eve anyday.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• RVallantRVallant Member UncommonPosts: 66

heh the game wasn't even finished when it came out. Thus everyone joined expecting a decent game with an original idea and ended up with a pile of turd.

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585
    Originally posted by Larry2298

WOW also changed stats constantly and you can see Rogue has been nerfed constantly and then all classes being nerfed every month.

Guess you haven't played WoW for a while. Rogues are currently vastly overpowered.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

QFT

There is so much bitching on these forums about every game. It seems to me that most of the people who hang around mmorpg.com cannot be satisfied by any game and just get their kicks from talking smack about every one they play.

And yes... I too have been guilty of this. I think a lot of us are just a little too jaded for our own good.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Anubisan

QFT

There is so much bitching on these forums about every game. It seems to me that most of the people who hang around mmorpg.com cannot be satisfied by any game and just get their kicks from talking smack about every one they play.

And yes... I too have been guilty of this. I think a lot of us are just a little too jaded for our own good.

some of us keep lowering our expectations and new game releases (even after the first year) continue to not meet expectations which ARE continually lowered.

i can understand a company wanting to make money; but, the people making those money-decisions SHOULD play their own game.  when they see it sucks ass, they should take appropriate action to ensure they release a QUALITY product.

until that happens...  you get what we get.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?