Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Few questions

TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Ok, I'm getting a little impatient already, waiting for Origins  So, I'm going to dl the trial and jump on a classic server just to mess around.  Anyway, just a few questions:

1) Any suggestion as far as which Classic server?  Or does it even matter?

2) Is there any decent BG action? How bad are the BG twinks and stealther hordes at the moment?

3) Are there any low levels out there, other than the odd alt here and there?

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

When I played it all the classic servers were clustered, and I believe they are now as well.  It does not matter really where you go you'll see plenty of people... well as many as there are.  The bg's were fairly active when I was playing last, which was a year ago.  I always found people to fight and the center keep would on average change hands once a day in most of them.  There is 1 or 2 of them that have almost no people in them because of odd levels or for some other reason I did not understand.

The twinking was not all that bad.  I had plenty of cash to keep up with the twinkers while leveling normally.  So I don't think it will be a problem.  I still came across poorly geared casters and would hit them with a PA for twice their hp on my shadowblade but that was few and far between.

Again when I was there, most people leveled either in the bg's or in DF since they boosted the exp you gained while in either one.  Most of the people just shoot for the pvp levels.  Either max out and go for RVR or farm RP's in the bg's till you cap out and then if you aren't close to to the next level bg level up some.  That's how I did.  Thanks to capping out on RP's in every bg I went to I was rank 3.5 by the time I got out to the real RVR so it did help a bit especially since a good chunk of the people out there are rank 5 or higher.

If you got more questions let me know.  My info might not be as current as someone who is actually playing but I don't think much has changed since the time I stopped playing.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• JohnboatJohnboat Member Posts: 23

what is Origins?

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Origins is a new server coming out in aug/sept that basically is the original DAOC with a few tweaks. Theres alot of info on it go to the camelot herald it will tell you anything you need to know about it.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    Originally posted by Tatum

1) Any suggestion as far as which Classic server?  Or does it even matter?
    2) Is there any decent BG action? How bad are the BG twinks and stealther hordes at the moment?
    3) Are there any low levels out there, other than the odd alt here and there?

1) It doesn't matter, anymore. All classic servers are clustered.

2) Technically, there is no twinking in DAoC. Stealther hordes are bad everywhere. There are stat limits based on level. BG action varies greatly. Some nights its great, some its ok, some its awful. I'd say most nights its not really worth logging in. I just resubbed, and I find the action to be severely lacking.

3) There are only 3500 players playing at peak time(7-12 EST) compared to 45,000 when this game was at its prime. No, there aren't that many alts or low levels. Most alts would be PLed in any case.

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Yea, I down loaded the trial...then thought that I should probably just wait until Origins is out.  Wish they would hurry the hell up

In general though, I'm hearing a good amount of hype from the vets.  Lots of people thinking about comming back for this and I think I can talk at least a few friends into playing.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Just wanted to add that the other posters are correct, twinks aren't really a problem.  It's pretty much dead easy to keep yourself at the stat caps as you level. 

Be sure to go through all the quests in the newbie tutorial, you'll come out with gear that will last you a good long while.  After that just take breaks from levelling to farm Aurulite and buy new gear whenever what you are using gets out of date and you'll be fine to do BGs all the way up.   If that doesn;t appeal to you, you can get a lot of gear by doing quests in the Catacombs.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by brostyn

2) Technically, there is no twinking in DAoC. Stealther hordes are bad everywhere. There are stat limits based on level. BG action varies greatly. Some nights its great, some its ok, some its awful. I'd say most nights its not really worth logging in. I just resubbed, and I find the action to be severely lacking.
    3) There are only 3500 players playing at peak time(7-12 EST) compared to 45,000 when this game was at its prime. No, there aren't that many alts or low levels. Most alts would be PLed in any case.

Molvik seems to be the only BG that has relatively constant action.  Big-boy RvR seems to be relatively unchanged over the last year or so:  follow the zerg, roam the bridges, circle the hub in lab, or go to agramon.

I find tons of people playing in the lower levels in several areas, mostly those that are easily accessable from portals or abandoned mines.  Lots of groups form up to go out to Frontiers though to take advantage of the xp bonus.  I recently made a toon on classic mid, no money, nothing, a newb in all forms to the server and levelled him to 39 in 14 hours /played.  No power level, no help, nothing but smart grinding in frontier and BG zones with the occasional dungeon and 4 trips to IDs in my 20's to farm enough aurulite to last me until now.  Frontier zones drop insane cash (off cash drop mobs) now days and aurulite drops at about 3-4 times the rate it used to.  I have about 700gp and have not once farmed for cash, only xp.  I remember my first DAOC toon, he took probably 20 days /played before he had 700gp...