Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monster AI

I read a looong long time ago, that wandering monsters could set up home near towns and villages and if not put down would quickly attract other more powerful creatures and eventually can form war camps.

Does anyone know if this feature will be in at launch?

Or is it just a pipe dream?

Comments

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Certainly hope so

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

Hehe, sounds a bit Gauntletesque really, still that was the grand daddy of all multi player fantasy games so why not :P

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294

Im not sure if that will be on launch or not, actually i have never heard it mentioned but i have not read everything out there on WAR either.  But what i do know is they have stated that there are alot of things they said will be in game such as, your character actually growing and looking different as you lvl, will not be implemented on launch but will be in game eventually.  And i also seen a few vids and some convention reports stating the staff said they are already planning and working on the next 2 years of patches upgrades and even the first official Expansion pack.  So maybe it wont be in on luanch but if they stated somewhere that it will be in game or they want it to, then im sure you can bet they are at the very least still discussing its implement into the game or they may have it planned already for a later stage.

• nikle76nikle76 Member Posts: 33

I newer heard that this should be a feature in WAR. I think that you got your WAR and darkfall wires crossed.

I read the article 2 years ago, a lot of things change in game development over that kind of timescale so chances are it won't make it in.

Time will tell however.

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839
    Originally posted by Soraksis

Im not sure if that will be on launch or not, actually i have never heard it mentioned but i have not read everything out there on WAR either.  But what i do know is they have stated that there are alot of things they said will be in game such as, your character actually growing and looking different as you lvl, will not be implemented on launch but will be in game eventually.  And i also seen a few vids and some convention reports stating the staff said they are already planning and working on the next 2 years of patches upgrades and even the first official Expansion pack.  So maybe it wont be in on luanch but if they stated somewhere that it will be in game or they want it to, then im sure you can bet they are at the very least still discussing its implement into the game or they may have it planned already for a later stage.

Wait why wont the growth thing be ingame right away? i see videos all the time of big as orcs, and tiny little ones at low lvls (slightly bigger them goblins). Same goes for Chaos and how corrupt they look, lvl 1 maruader and his transformed arm is so meh, high lvls ones look bad ass.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980
    Originally posted by PureChaos

Originally posted by Soraksis

Wait why wont the growth thing be ingame right away? i see videos all the time of big as orcs, and tiny little ones at low lvls (slightly bigger them goblins). Same goes for Chaos and how corrupt they look, lvl 1 maruader and his transformed arm is so meh, high lvls ones look bad ass.

Not sure...but are the different sized Orcs actually players or NPCs? I think no growth at launch is just for players. Also heard something about dwarfs' beards but that won't be in at launch either.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060
    Originally posted by Silverthorn8

I read a looong long time ago, that wandering monsters could set up home near towns and villages and if not put down would quickly attract other more powerful creatures and eventually can form war camps.

They might not have monsters that move into places, however they do have something called Lairs.

Lairs are basically places where rare high level monsters will spawn at various times and times of the in-game day that are non instanced ( I think ) and open to everyone in a T4 zone.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Things like this are needed to create the next generation MMO...

Not all over the place, but just in a few static spots.

And Warhammer surely has the ingame setting and attitude to pull off something like this.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503

Probably a pipe dream for now, but it would be a very cool feature.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I wouldn't be to surprised if it did NOT make it. If you look at the video from the G4 episode you'll see even the trolls are stupid. They just stand there till the guy hits them. He walks right up to them and they don't do anything till he starts wacking on them.

Now I suppose the trolls could be a non-aggro race but it's not the first time I've seen the AI appear like this.

I really hope they work on this because the AI in DAoC (specifically catacombs) is/was horrific.

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503
    Originally posted by Celestian

I wouldn't be to surprised if it did NOT make it. If you look at the video from the G4 episode you'll see even the trolls are stupid. They just stand there till the guy hits them. He walks right up to them and they don't do anything till he starts wacking on them.

Now I suppose the trolls could be a non-aggro race but it's not the first time I've seen the AI appear like this.

I really hope they work on this because the AI in DAoC (specifically catacombs) is/was horrific.

I thought the A.I. In City of Heroes was pretty good in hte uppper levels. Mobs would team up on you, call in help, and fight pretty well as a team. You had to know whether to go after the healer, or take out the tank, depending on what villian group you were fighting, etc.

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384

I believe you read about the old Warhammer Online version that was under development by Climax.

<--- Video.  I get a boner everytime I see it since it really catched the Warhammer feel.

I'd like to see Climax's old WAR homepage again. The features was so awesome.

Why was it canceled anyway?

• kintrikkintrik Member Posts: 194

Money was the main reason. Ganeworkshop and Climax were basicly not working well together.

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Originally posted by kintrik

Money was the main reason. Ganeworkshop and Climax were basicly not working well together.

So sad... I'm quite a sceptic about the Warhammer feel in WAR. Only seen some screens and they didn't look so brutal and such.

Oh well, I've pre-ordered the Collectors Edition anyway just for the hell of it

Ah well, I'll settle for monster lairs as a pve fix :)

I mean we know that at least one of the neutral keeps is occupied by a vampire count and patrolled by some very powerful undead minions.

And anyone thats played the fantasy roleplay will know how hard it is to kill a bloodthirster (impossible unless you have magical weaponry or the ability to summon an equivolent daemon from another chaos power, or elementals etc,etc).