Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fps and ping question.....

snowytechnasnowytechna Member Posts: 185

I live in Asia and I contantly get an average ping of 375 is it  good or bad?

Can I pvp with 375-475 ping.

I am playing on the american servers, will the ping reduce in international districts.

is 40-50 FPS on med settings good?

Comments

• NisstyreNisstyre Member Posts: 33

It depends if the guys you playing against have 300+ ping then yea but if they have 80-120 they gonna pwn you.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

No, not necessarily. I get a 350ms ping and I don't have much trouble at all. Of course your job as an interrupter will be alot harder, but in general it doesn't matter. I've managed with this ping, sometimes more, for years.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Random Arenas, Team Arenas and the lower forms of PvP will not be a problem with that ping. However when you proceed to higher forms, such as GvG and HA, you'll face problems since pretty much every role requires that you're alert and ready. In HA you won't get very clean spikes with that ping, thus increasing the chance that they catch it; and as a healer you will face problems catching spikes - even if they aren't very clean. When playing frontliner you'll need to watch if spells such as Guardian (which greatly reduces your damage) is put on the caster, and if they are then switch to another target; with higher fps it can become trickier to detect such things. As midline you'll be asked to interrupt or snare; as an interrupter you'll (as said before) face problems and as snarer you must constantly watch the battle field to snare their frontline when they switch target or equal. As backline you must be ready to heal and pre-prot as well as catch spikes.

Summary: you can PvP in the lower forms of PvP but as you proceed to the higher ones you will detect that much more is required of you; and one thing is to constantly be ready.

Unfortunately in many cases there really isn't much you can do to fix the problem. It's usually caused by the distance between you and the server, which in my case for example is from South Africa to Europe/America. There just isn't much we can do to lower our pings to international servers, but our local server pings are very low.

Considering you're in Asia I would expect that to be the issue too.

• snowytechnasnowytechna Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Lydon

Unfortunately in many cases there really isn't much you can do to fix the problem. It's usually caused by the distance between you and the server, which in my case for example is from South Africa to Europe/America. There just isn't much we can do to lower our pings to international servers, but our local server pings are very low.

Considering you're in Asia I would expect that to be the issue too.

I just played PVP and it worked fine, the skills are instant and everything works fine(even though I got my ass whooped). I will have to try out HA, and lydon can you play HA with 350+ ping and are you successful at it?

I have...but I played builds that weren't hardcore and didn't need my reflexes. That leaves out a good portion of the builds, but still leaves enough to keep one happy.

Eventually you start to "live in" the delay. What I mean by that is that you get so used to the short delay that you learn to predict what your enemy will do very well, run a little bit forward so that you'll rubberband to where you actually want to be etc. It sounds game-breaking but it's such a short delay you hardly notice it eventually.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

If you're planning on playing HA then avoid playing builds that require you to interrupt or be quick; Rangers and Mesmers usually interrupt and Monks will need to be fast to catch spikes. Additionally avoid running Spike teams as if you don't get a fairly clean spike you won't get through and thus you won't win. Pressure builds is the best.

• UltraQuackUltraQuack Member Posts: 15

My FPS is usually 60, but my ping is sometimes high in PvP. I wouldn't worry about it because I never have a totally stable ping. I'm not to sure that everyone else does as well.