Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of Returning

ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Well I'm playing AoC at the moment, but like most new MMOs, it's lacking in the mid-endgame content. So while Funcom is busy at work with it, I need another MMO to keep me entertained. WoW is one of the ones I'm thinking of (CoX trial was alright, got stale, trying VG atm). Need a few questions answered (I last played a lvl38 last September)

1. Is the community still generally made up of 12-year-olds? Namely on PvP servers.

2. Has leveling speed increased? Which melee class / race is fastest to level? (I have BC)

3. Are the PvP servers any good? I remember when I played usually every night or so we would plan a surprise attack or something on an Alliance town.

4. What PvP server is best? In terms of population and community. A time-zone close to EST is helpful too.

Comments

• akritasakritas Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by D3mis3

Well I'm playing AoC at the moment, but like most new MMOs, it's lacking in the mid-endgame content. So while Funcom is busy at work with it, I need another MMO to keep me entertained. WoW is one of the ones I'm thinking of (CoX trial was alright, got stale, trying VG atm). Need a few questions answered (I last played a lvl38 last September)
    1. Is the community still generally made up of 12-year-olds? Namely on PvP servers.
    the community is pretty much the same as it was before
    2. Has leveling speed increased? Which melee class / race is fastest to level? (I have BC)
    yes it has
    3. Are the PvP servers any good? I remember when I played usually every night or so we would plan a surprise attack or something on an Alliance town.
    there is no such thing as open PVP in wow anymore as it used to be.  the pvp areas in certain zones are dead as well. maybe someone hops in if he still needs some marks etc. but you gotta camp that area for quite some time to get into  a battle
    4. What PvP server is best? In terms of population and community. A time-zone close to EST is helpful too.
    dunno

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905
    Originally posted by akritas

there is no such thing as open PVP in wow anymore as it used to be.  the pvp areas in certain zones are dead as well. maybe someone hops in if he still needs some marks etc. but you gotta camp that area for quite some time to get into  a battle

Well the person before you posted open world PvP is still going. I am much more interested in open world PvP, as its more realistic, funner and bigger. The arenas and stuff are fun, but I can get those in Age of Conan. AoC. doesn't have the Alliance vs. Horse open world PvP thing going.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

CoX and VG are ones to avoid lol. VG is like playing an atari game and CoX is a really awkward grind.
    Yes and no. The higher lvl you get the better people behave but then I have to ask, why chose a PvP server if player behaviour is a concern? PvE servers have much more age discrimination in guilds (18+).
    Yes. You can quite easily hit 70 in 7 days /played with questhelper and a good guide. Rogue.
    Depends on the size of the server. Frostmane is suppose to be good.
    see above :P

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Everyone that replied pretty much answered your questions, but I'd like to touch up on a few things.

The Warcraft community is the same as any other commercial MMO now. I have yet to play a MMO over the last 3-4 years that boasted a community like the ones I used to play with. The community isn't bad, I find a lot of people over the age of 25, easy. But, trade and some zones general will always be bad. Thank god for being able to turn off chat filters, huh?

Leveling speed did increase, though, it's not as drastic as what people make it out to be. Since the leveling change, I've leveled a shaman to 55 and a warlock to 70, and while it is faster, it's not literally double speed. They increased how much experience you get from quests and how much experience you need to level (by like.. 15% at level 20). They also increased the drops from every instance 1-60. Your 60-70 experience will still be the same, though. However, with these changes, you do notice a nice increase in leveling. They did touch up some old zones and completely update them, tho. Well one, Dustwallow, but we can always hope for more ;)

Since battlegrounds were introduced forever ago world PVP has really taken a shot. There's still people to gank if you're leveling or whathaveyou, as far as organized raids on towns, doesn't happen so much anymore unless they raiding a capital. But, depending on the server, you'll see a few PVP groups running around, but 9/10 they're just ganking lowbies. Arenas is what every done with a mix of battlegrounds in for the honor or whathave you.

Asking what the best PVP server is, though, is kind of redundant. There's many, many high population PVP servers to choose from. Best? I wouldn't really say there is one. The servers are broken down into battle-groups. They group a few servers together and that's who they'll instance PVP with. Some battlegroups are better than others, individuals none really stick out. If you're really curious about realm status, try warcraftrealms.com <= data isn't accurate by any means, but is enough to give you an idea.

All in all, I still enjoy the game. I hate it, but I still enjoy it. My brother and I recently rerolled alliance on Dark Iron (where my warlock is) and with the leveling changes and such, I've really enjoyed it. You'd have to log in and just give it a shot.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Originally posted by akritas

Well the person before you posted open world PvP is still going. I am much more interested in open world PvP, as its more realistic, funner and bigger. The arenas and stuff are fun, but I can get those in Age of Conan. AoC. doesn't have the Alliance vs. Horse open world PvP thing going.

There's still a limited amount of open world PvP going on, it's largely up to you.  If you want you can usually pretty easily find someone to fight you.  It may be more realistic and funner, however I have to disagree that it's bigger than Arena or BG's.  Open world PvP now usually consists of very small groups of 2 or 3 at the most.  There simply isn't any 10 on 10 or larger open world PvP going on anymore, that you will only find in the BG's.  So if that's what you are looking for, I think you'll be disappointed no matter what server you choose.

The next expansion hopes to change that, but that remains to be seen.