Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

did you know that...

dannicusdannicus Member UncommonPosts: 99

Pirates of the Caribbean is actually really fun?

i was surprised too!

Comments

• MegeraMegera Member UncommonPosts: 45

fun enough that 3 of my cheap friends who were only playing because it was free switched to pay to get the extra content.

Its a hell of a lot of fun.  And relatively kid safe so i can rec it to my friends who have rug rats.

• BeaumanBeauman Member UncommonPosts: 142

Being a MMO Vet since 1998, I didn't think I would like this game.

I do.  A lot.  Surpised even me.

If the trial for PoTBS grabs me when it launches in a few weeks, I'll be subscribing to both.  PoTBS would have to be darned good to make me cancel PoTCO, though.

• MegeraMegera Member UncommonPosts: 45

I was in the beta for Pirates of the Burning sea.  I have the type of account with Sony where i would not have to pay more per month to play this game. 

I still don't want it.  Pirates of the Burning Sea bored me snotless.  It is a ship to ship combat game, effectively a war game.  Its beautiful but the graphics can make my computer choke and stutter on even lower settings.  I have not played since beta - i lost interest in it pretty fast and went back to PoTC.

• BeaumanBeauman Member UncommonPosts: 142

Oddly, the three of us in my house currently playing PoTCO have identical computers.

Two of them lag like crazy in PoTCO (mainly in Port Royal), one doesn't.

The only issue I have with the game so far.

Going to try PoTBS on the trial.  Heck, suirvived MxO and SWG (even before the NGE).  But to make me cancel PoTCO, it is going to have to be a hell of a game.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Decided to check this game out because I'm looking into learning the game engine used to create it - Panda3D, which is largely driven by Python - a very powerful and versatile language I'm also looking to learn :)

So, decided to try PoTCO out see what it was capable of creating.

I just signed up for a pay-to-play account, I'm enjoying it that much lol.

The graphics are very cartoony and not at all uncharacteristic of something I'd expect from Disney. That said, the facial animations are great, the interaction with the known characters (Jack Sparrow, etc) are quite entertaining. The dialog, voice acting and choreography of the cut-scenes are excellent as well, imo.

I'm tempted to say I'm enjoying it because I had low expectations for the game... but to be honest.. I had no expectations at all. Wasn't looking for a "new game" per se... was checking it out more for "research".

The performance can be clunky and frame-rates get a bit choppy from time to time, but overall, I think they've done a great job with it.

It's certainly sold me on the capabilities of Panda3D :).

There's another MMO in development using the same engine, a space themed one named "Angels Fall First", which shows the engine is capable of more than just cartoony graphics.

So yeah.. definitely a very neat game. Considering it's free to download (no "box purchase"), and $5 for the first month's sub it's hard to complain.

Edit: Okay...

This game is officially addictive lol.

I joined a guild last night (I surprised to find that there are a significant amount of adults who play it) and had my first experience in a fully-manned ship battle.

Wow.. Makes taking on EITC and British ships solo seem boring by comparison.

Manning cannons in first person, firing on enemies, getting up and running to man a different cannon to continue the fight as the ships maneuver around each other, and so forth... quite hectic and very enjoyable. Seeing some behemoth of a ship coming at you in first person is quite impressive.

Then the best part... Shooting harpoons into a defeated ship and boarding it to clear out the enemies and plunder the goods. That was just plain fun.

Also, finally got my first Voodoo doll. What fun that is, and certainly a unique twist on an item I've not experienced in any other MMO.

In all, the game is actually *quite* fun, imo, and while I can understand that it's easy to blow it off due to its less than cutting edge graphics and some of the wierd quirks it has, there is some quality gameplay in there.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• TinjelTinjel Member Posts: 24

I might have to check this game out.  Everyone says a lot of good things about it.

• lcmmanialcmmania Member Posts: 29

I'll sure give it to this game for generally being ... fun! Though little things like the Guild/Chat system are pretty poor - this game is really actually fun!

I would have preferred it to be darker, more like the movies. I really hope another Pirates of the Caribbean MMO is made one day - which is bigger, better and for an older audience.

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

I agree.  I've had more unbridled, raw fun on this game than any other.  Partly because I never grew out of my pirate phase that I had when I was nine, and partly because this game is simply well put together (for the most part). 

I only ever stopped playing because of the huge lag, and even that wasn't enough to make me quit for quite a while.  Now I'm hoping I can get back on.