Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wurm : ANTI WOW

ricko32ricko32 Member Posts: 17

"Seriously, this is not cool!"

Wurm Online is the anti-WoW. If it were sentient, and somehow had hands, it would have drawn a moustache, thick rimmed glasses and silly eyebrows on every Dark Elf concept picture ever channelled from the tainted minds of Blizzard's toiling artists. What's more, Wurms design ethos seems purposefully locked in opposition to the conventional ideas of fun peddled by the likes of LOTRO, Age of Conan, Vanguard, Ultima Online, Runescape, Lineage 2, or any other popular MMOG you care to name, except perhaps for EVE Online. Anyway, my Google search subverting point is thus: Wurm Online is like no other MMOG I, and I'll wager, you, have ever played. Small parts of it can be compared to known qualities in all of the previously mentioned games, but the whole amalgamous lump consistently and effortlessly defies comparison. It’s fortunate then that this, as it turns out, makes it bloody brilliant. Oh, and it's free.

THE CONCEPT

So let’s get down to brass tacks. Wurm is a self proclaimed "medieval simulation," which, on any serious reflection, reveals itself to be quite a horrifying prospect, conjuring (in my mind, at least) visions of mud cuisine and long hours on the rack in some unspeakably foul dungeon, so it's probably fortunate that Wurm fails miserably in this regard. In actuality it is the single most rewarding and creative MMOG experience I have ever enjoyed. Elements of the game do reflect the 'simulation' claim, particularly the oft yearned for requirement to eat and drink at regular intervals - if you don't, your stamina regeneration slows to a near stop, making any actions nearly impossible. Fortunately, wrapped around this rather prickly core concept, is one of the most open and customizable RPG worlds ever created, with technology which allows players to quite literally shape the world and create a vast array of buildings, furniture and equipment for their own homesteads, towns and cities.

"Wurms world is frequently beautiful and can be entirely altered."

Wurms world is huge - bigger than any game world I’ve experienced, excepting Microsoft flight simulator and Dark & Light (but that doesn't fit the loosest definition of a game, so there). There are no zones, no loading screens and everything on the landscape can be manipulated and altered. This includes terrain height (you can dig right down to water or pile up mountains of dirt), You can mine for precious metals - making actual underground tunnels in the process - chop down (and please re-plant!) trees and flora, and generally treat the landscape like a giant sand pit. Everything players create in Wurm must be hewn from the basic elements of the landscape, which must be mined, farmed, forrested or hunted. Once I began to come to terms with the huge freedom this and the scale of the world provided, I felt something which might be comparable to the sense of excitement and possibility the first American settlers might have experienced when making landfall on the east coast.

FIRST STEPS

I started my adventure into Wurm Online almost three months ago. Since then I've spent some 150 hours in the world, playing alongside a couple of long term MMOG friends. New players are thrown right into the centre of 'New Town', which is understandably the biggest settlement in Wurm. On first inspection it appears to be specifically designed to disorient, confuse and confound inexperienced navigators, but this is not a malicious developer’s idea of fun, rather it's because the city is entirely made by players. The settlement has grown organically, with new players logging in and throwing up homes on the ever expanding city limits. Along with this, farmland and managed forests are fenced off, and players find new uses for exposed land as old buildings decay. This has resulted in a horrifying tangle of dead-end cul-de-sacs and pathways which force the unsuspecting player into two mile jogs along winding paths, only to end up back in the city centre. I kid you not - the first time I logged in I probably spent 40 arduous minutes wondering through the tangle of houses and fenced off fields before finally breaking through to open grassland and forests.

"Don't use this as a map, the city will have already changed.

I had always intended to set up a camp away from large settlements, and this experience had strengthened my resolve tenfold, even as veteran players were warning me against it so soon in my adventure.

GAMEPLAY

Wurms gameplay is a bit like a micro level game of Civilization, where instead of taking the roll of the omnipotent and immortal leader of a great civilization, the player steps into the boots of the very small and very mortal settler - but here's the good bit: he achieves the same things! Players are expected to navigate a kind of tech tree to gradually build higher quality and more varied tools, equipment, and housing, but they are not limited by some arbitrary unlocking system or (in the majority of cases) their skill in a particular craft; they are simply confined to constructions which can be built with the tools and resources at their disposal. It's probably easiest to explain this in the context of my own first few hours in Wurm, where I set about building a house with a friend of mine...

Having completed the short introduction tutorial and been awarded my set of basic tools, Me and Rob (for that was my esteemed associates name) headed out into the wilderness to plant metaphorical flags in our patch of land. We followed our noses to a lake then along its east bank and south out of New Town, through a small valley barely above water level and on to the north shore of a second lake. The landscape here rose into gentle rolling hills to the south, with a steep wooded hill behind us. It's here that we chose to set up our new camp called 'The Temple of Gon'. After some flailing of arms and general boggling at the scale of the task ahead, we set about clearing and flattening terrain for our first building, which would be christened 'The Palace of Dan Flower'. It was to be a virtual shrine to the grandiose irony of a simple old school friend, who really was called Dan Flower. Our first task was to cut down some Birch and apple trees to clear a small patch of land, I then set about digging, and dumping dirt where appropriate, to flatten out a few tiles. We had all the tools needed to cut down trees, and to shape them into planks, but a helpful passerby informed us we needed two other ingredients: Large Nails (for obvious reasons), and a Mallet to plan and construct the building. The mallet was not so tricky, being a relatively simple matter of carving a log into a shaft, then another shaft into a mallet head and connecting the two. It's possible to fail at each stage, but success (and final item quality) increases with practice. This is the basic premise of all construction in Wurm and it works very nicely indeed. The changing of the world and the collection of the finished products of your labour are a suitable reward for time spent, and something I consider to be far more tangible than the unlocking of new skills, or 1up’ing of attributes.

"Fires are really important when you are starting out."

GRAPHICS

Let me digress here to get the whole "graphics" thing out the way, Wurms visuals are... odd. The environments, particularly the landscapes, water and weather effects are frequently surprising in their beauty, and give me a great sense of the elemental nature of the untamed world. However, the indie pedigree of the game is often visible in basic and sometimes ugly models for players, creatures and buildings. That said, on balance, I enjoy the slightly retro nature of the artwork and the lack of A+ graphics does not detract considerably from the thrust of the gameplay.

Even given the simple graphics, Wurm will struggle with densely populated areas, particularly New Town. Don't be put off if you are getting ~2 FPS when you first log into NT, this means you'll get ~25 or more once you are out of that hell hole. There's also plenty which can be done to improve performance; reducing tree, building and object view distance to the minimum when in town, and turning off a number of shaders and special effects, but you'll want to put these back up to at least medium if you don't have any speed issues. As I mentioned before, weather and water effects really stand out as the best graphical features of Wurm, the procedurally generated skies are wonderful, and I love it when heavy rain rolls in and the grass starts getting really buffeted by the wind. The camp really takes on a life of its own, and it is endearing to the game that these effects can generate such a strong sense of both relying on, and being at odds with nature.

"Wurm's world is huge, and beautiful.. mostly."

COMBAT

So let’s get back to the Temple Of Gon, where a valuable lesson is about to be learned. When you are starting out in Wurm, you don't hunt animals... they hunt you, and frequently turn you into soft furnishings for their homes. So, let me make this very clear: do not, whatever you do, try to outrun a brown bear if you are carrying anything more than a tooth pick.

Unfortunately, I happened to be carrying 60KG's of iron ore when I met my first denizen of Wurm. The fight was short, and embarrassingly one sided; I feebly kicked the bear in his ribs between relentless gouges into my wool clad body. A heavy strike to my leg soon rendered me immobile and sealed my fate. Fortunately I had drawn the creature some distance from the camp before I finally succumbed to massive haemorrhaging of all the wrong body parts.

This altercation raises one final important point: Wurm is neither forgiving of nor friendly to noob's. You've gotta have a thick skin and expect to get beat down at fairly regular intervals by any animal that comes along, that is, until you've got yourself a decent weapon, some armour and a bit of fighting skill. What’s more, since I entered Wurm every proceeding hour has been more confusing than the last. This is Wurms biggest asset and folly; it has been a defining factor in all my experiences inside the game. I can't stress this strongly enough: Wurm Online is obscenely complex. There is no logical flow to the actions you perform and no apparent learning curve. Even if there were an expansive set of tutorials, any element not touched on would remain a black box. Fortunately there are resources to help: the Wurm official Wiki is managed by veteran players and goes a good way to documenting the vast number of interactions and items in the world; also, the Wurm community is one of the most consistently friendly and helpful I have ever had the pleasure to play alongside. In all, the game demands a rather pro-active mind-set, possibly beyond the comfort zone of many gamers, but I attribute GAX's members with +1 intelligence on every 'choice of game' roll, so I think you folks will do just fine.

Wurm has two servers: Wild, and Jen Kellon. Guess where this picture is from."

If you want to give Wurm a try, then roll over to their website and hit the 'Play Now' link. It'll download and install right there, and it's entirely free (though your skills will probably cap out after about 24 hours of play). Do yourself the justice of working through the tutorial and spending a few hours in the world with some other folks, by that time you'll know if you want to carry on. If you want to get in touch with me or other GAX'ers in Wurm then join my Wurm group! Thanks for reading, and good luck! I'll leave you with a trailer that the Wurm community has released since I originally posted this review.

THE GAX REVIEW I THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE IT ON HERE YOU  GUYS SHOULD HAVE A LOOK ON WURM ITS A GREAT GAME. ITS ONE OF THE BEST REVIEWS I HAVE READ!!!!

NOTE i didnt write this i just have permissions to put it from GAX to mmorpg.

Comments

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902

The problem with Wurm is how bloody GRINDY it is. *digs some soil, puts the soil down, digs soil, puts it down, repeat until you have 20 digging*

And, the fact they have both a paying subscription and having to pay for silver is ridiculous. One or the other, really.

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

I liked the game a lot in beta. Could get on with a bunch of friends, run off into the forest and build a little community. Half the time you'd get lost and get killed by a guy named troll, or a cow called bear. (If you played back then you'd know what I'm talking about)

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    Originally posted by Joliust

I liked the game a lot in beta. Could get on with a bunch of friends, run off into the forest and build a little community. Half the time you'd get lost and get killed by a guy named troll, or a cow called bear. (If you played back then you'd know what I'm talking about)

dragon cows.

Yes it's extremely grindy, assuming leveling is your goal but the thing is that it doesn't have to be and isn't for a majority of the community.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Devour

The problem with Wurm is how bloody GRINDY it is. *digs some soil, puts the soil down, digs soil, puts it down, repeat until you have 20 digging*
    And, the fact they have both a paying subscription and having to pay for silver is ridiculous. One or the other, really.

Well you really do not need any silver unless you planning on starting an bigger city. If you join a proper community you will be handed food and proper tools and most likely priets willing to bless them for you. I do however agree that the game is grindy, with is one why I do not play it anymore. For me this game is fun for a while when you settle in with a new community and start an project and finish it, normaly after that I do not feel like starting a new project and stop playing for a few months.

This game is actualy how I imagine Darkfall will look like when (and if) finished. Better grafics and a bit more advanced though.

• MarleVVLLMarleVVLL Member UncommonPosts: 907

Good article. I might log on for the first time (in a real since) for a few months. My town just upgraded to size 20 (the second town ever to do that), and I'm sure they'll need help.

And as an above poster mentioned, if you want it to be grindy, it can be. I never saw it that way and never will. It is fine for me. I just help where help is needed and in the process, my skill goes up.

Blessings,

MMO migrant.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

never heard of it yet.

any links?

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by daemon

never heard of it yet.
    any links?

http://www.wurmonline.com/

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I'd rather grind skills then levels. At least with that you feel like you are developing your character more.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

I agree with people saying Wurm is a grinding game. I tried it, I grinded, I left.

?

• ricko32ricko32 Member Posts: 17

Well guys i think that if you like it in games when you make some thing that your proud of Wurms your game, i love making things for my village like new players houses and a collosus

Its a grinding game in some instances like mining and wood cutting every thing else is more because you need to do it. Like digging isnt grinding because you need to terraform the land so your not working on your skill your working on the ground.

• JackDonkeyJackDonkey Member Posts: 383

Wurm is pretty cool in a way that makes you play it just cause of the potential it has.  I dug clay for god damn 2 hours last night though.  Worse is I made 120 support beams for a mine over the last couple weeks.

Having your things fail is infuriating.  Like taking a log and making a support beam but you get 5 failures, 5 shafts get trashed and a minute of wasted time.  One thing to make that more mainstream is to have a construction crew follow you around and you assign them tasks, of course you'd be limited in how many tasks you could assign a guy but it would be more than 2.  Lets say you had 4 guys and you wanted to make support beams.  You would task one guy to chop down 10 trees, then you would task one guy to turn one pile of logs into shafts and another guy to assemble shafts and logs and stuff like that.  The deal here is that you'd be limited in how fast you could build something, like my 120 supports could still take me 2 weeks of casual play to make but it wouldn't require to be constantly clicking and watching my stamina bar.  Also the reason for the construction is that way if you have 1.00 construction skill and you are to make 100 shafts instead of failing you can just make it take 3 hours and you won't really care since you won't be staring at a 3 hour casting bar.  Another way to put it is that it would involve micro instead of watching your casting bar and stamina bar for 2 hours straight.

Also cooking should be easier to level.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    if I were to kill a titan tomorrow and no CCP employees showed up to say grats I would petition it.
    Waiting for: the next MMO that lets me make this macro
    if hp < 30 then CastSpell("heal") SpellTargetUnit("player") else CastSpell("smite") end

• dma1dma1dma1dma1 Member Posts: 82

UPDATE:   DO NOT COMPARE THIS GAME TO WOW.

NOOB

• JackDonkeyJackDonkey Member Posts: 383

Got my cooking up to 3.1, It's a lot easier once you get a fishing rod.  And eating raw fish is better than foraging for an hour to make one casserole that's big enough to feed you enough to mine again.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    if I were to kill a titan tomorrow and no CCP employees showed up to say grats I would petition it.
    Waiting for: the next MMO that lets me make this macro
    if hp < 30 then CastSpell("heal") SpellTargetUnit("player") else CastSpell("smite") end

• GurubearGurubear Member Posts: 41

At the Village of the Small Bears (it's a joke, most of the bears are rather large) we built two colossi.

Each required 2000 Colossus bricks (made from mined rock), 2000 clay which had to be dug and all transported to two small islands because I decided they should be built out in the Bay.

Yep, it was a grind (though there was some notable raising of skill levels going on), but the satisfaction when it was finished.

You have never seen a happier band of players anywhere - and that village has stuck together like anything ever since.

It is a very different game in so many ways - mostly by what it does to the people who stick it out.

Our village is populated by people in their young teens all the way up to people pushing 50 or so. Just to be awkward, I don’t allow swearing in our local chat - and nobody minds!

They help each other, love creating not just a hammer or a rake or a sword, but an entire community.

It is very easy to fall into the "reality" of Wurm.

If you want to play a game that leaves you sweaty with adrenaline and wanting to Kill Kill Kill - you may like the Wild server, or you will probably play another game.

If you want to play a game where you actually wouldn't mind living in what you just built - then you will LOVE Wurm!

Sound and Music for anything

• ironoreironore Member CommonPosts: 957
    Originally posted by JackDonkey

One thing to make that more mainstream is to have a construction crew follow you around and you assign them tasks, of course you'd be limited in how many tasks you could assign a guy but it would be more than 2.

Wait, was this guy just making a wishful suggestion or do they really have construction crews?

Also, why is silver purchased?  This seems to clash with the whole premise of the game.  Why are precious metals not mined and minted into coin that players can agree to use as a medium for barter if they so choose?

IronOre - Forging the Future

Umm - construction crews. Now there is a thing!

Since this is an MMO, more than one person can work on, say, building a house.

Some of the projects people design take a lot of work - for instance the ramp up the side of the mountain at Rockcliff was a massive undertaking - and people helped out.

And, depending on the arrangements, players can earn in game money from other players for doing work, though lots help each other out just for the fun of it too.

So, yes, I suppose you can  "hire" a construction crew of sorts!
    As for the in game money (silvers) there are three ways you can get these:

1. You can sell stuff you make to the kingdom traders, or to other players (directly or through a personal merchant - an NPC that you buy and maintain)

2. You can earn money from other players as I have mentioned above

3. You can buy Silvers from the on line shop. This helps fund the game and aslo helps keep the Premium Subscription cost down. Also, this means that some players who haven't the time to play for hours every day can get enough coins to do things like buy deeds in the game from the Kingdom Traders - this helps give everyone a chance.

As for mining - well,  you can mine Silver and Gold, as well as zinc, iron, tin, lead and copper. But you cannot mint coins. As in real life, this would really mess up the economy!

However, since you can trade, you can earn money from your efforts instead! (in game only, I hasten to add - this is not a game for earning real money, thank goodness!)

• ironoreironore Member CommonPosts: 957

In real life money is minted...by governments.  I don't see why a game that is intended to be so player driven is not allowing players to create their own political organizations and economies based on whatever they want to use. 

This is vital for a player driven world, and Wurm is coming close.  I know they don't have a lot of funding, but I think they would do better to go all the way with it being a player driven world and just set the payment at a regular amount.   Perhaps this isn't the time for it, but someday I hope to see it come about.

IronOre - Forging the Future

• captngolfcaptngolf Member Posts: 3

Well, Gurubear is just saying half of the truth :

It is possible to get money from the ingame traders, but this money has to come previously from players, so unless someone buys some silvers from the shop and buys some deed or other from the royal traders the rest of the players wont see a dime.

(Btw, Gurubear is involved with the development of the game)

Another big problem is that the economy is allways broken, the money gets distributed to the traders once in a while (deed upkeep for example) but allways after having beeing taxed a 40% to 80% depending on what kind of tax is being applied.

So even though if you added 100silver to upkeep, the money that would flow to traders from this would be around 40s to 60s, next time this money was re-used again for upkeep (yeah, most money is used to rent a deed, which is the virtual property you can have) and since most veteran players are allready hugging most of the town deeds and traders , these veterean players are usually the ones stuffing their pockets and then Selling the silver for Euros again in the wurm forums.

• drdysdydrdysdy Member Posts: 25

The anti-wow? Not really, it's just a slower paced wow, In this game you grind for skills, in WoW you grind for levels. I don't see much difference in that.

The real Anti-WoW is Face of Mankind.

• MaxxaureateMaxxaureate Member UncommonPosts: 46

I've been playing Wurm for over a year now.  When I first arrived the world was huge and unsettling.  I spent almost a week in Newtown figuring out  the different items and raising the skills I would need to survive. My biggest noob moment must have been when my cursor picked up one of their two moons names beneath the ground. I thought it might be a demon ready to smash up from the ground to kill me. The world was that overwhelming. I eventually was recruited to a village on the other side of the server and started on the long walk. Once there the learning process went much faster and learned the ins and outs of village life. The statement about slave labor I assure you is quite wrong lol.

Since then they have added two more servers. Mol Rehan and the new entry server Golden Valley. They have added many things such as lava flows and 6 types of boats. Always improving on the client and models. The game is constantly changing and has a dedicated staff.  Have my own homestead now. Raised alot of skills pretty high. I can honestly say for me this game it was about the sense of accomplishment.

Sure it's very time consuming. But if you ever played a Sim game and actually wanted to live in the world rather than view godlike from above. This is the game for you.

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

you're just like me in so many ways... the only setback for me was that my skills stopped at 20. and i couldnt get a premium:( i tried alot of times.  wurm was as close as possible to a real mmorpg its possible (yet) the only 2 setbacks about this game is graphics and premium account, else this game is awsome its so awsome that it easily overwrites the graphic but the premium account thing is a little worse:( its like you get to be free as long as you pay from a skill lvl and upwards (i was a carpenter and woodchopper along with digger) i could build the best house a f2p account could build, and i had it up in NO time:) a friend of mine exchanged a huge castle against a piece of land where i had begun to build, and i accapted:P after that i had a huge castle on the riverside:P my homestead was as large as a town, but in the end i realized that i couldnt repair that huge castle alone:( so i hired a few friends. they quit because "they think wow got better graphics" and therefore one of my friend plays wow 24/7 and the other dont get to play wow anymore because he played too mutch:P

so in the end i had to quit on that huge castle and later on i found the game meaningless when my precious "ingame" friends began to quit, tough i met some of them again on Eve online:P (major topic in my town when we talked about online games) and in the end now i ended up playing guildwars and saga online:P

i also played a BL'er:)  so i got stalked by some guys when i first arrived so i took their stuff:P lotsa worth:P and i ran away to a deserted island and i buildt a huge home and then i quit that char too because i had no friends there... so unless you play together with someone this game sucks:) but as long as you have friends you can live your life

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

I tend to play the game and just make what I want I rarely look at my skills. Grinding is a player induced condition.

The silver is just for founding huge city's... not really any other use for it.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by captngolf

(Btw, Gurubear is involved with the development of the game)
    So even though if you added 100silver to upkeep, the money that would flow to traders from this would be around 40s to 60s, next time this money was re-used again for upkeep (yeah, most money is used to rent a deed, which is the virtual property you can have) and since most veteran players are allready hugging most of the town deeds and traders , these veterean players are usually the ones stuffing their pockets and then Selling the silver for Euros again in the wurm forums.

Tut Tut - every one knows I am involved with the game - that is why I come on here answering questions from time to time!

As for the deeds - well, no, the veteran players are not hogging the deeds - ANYONE can buy one from any kingdom trader and all size 10 or above villages come with a Kingdom Trader contract. There is loads of room for villages and homesteads.

And, more importantly, you don't need to buy a deed to build your home or even entire community. Deeds give you guards, village chat and citizens (not homestead deeds) and slow the decay of your buildings on deed right down. But they are NOT needed to build property. Anyone can do that.

I know several mayors of size ten villages who bought them by saving up their silvers over many months by making and selling armour, improving and making high quality tools and even selling meals. Patience is a virtue in this game - and also the fun bit. The players who put most time and effort into both their game and the community in general get the most out of it - isn't that sort of right?

And no, most don't "stuff their pockets" nor do the vast majority of people sell silver in the forums - and the vast amount of players don't buy it from there either. Wurm is not the place if you want a real income from the game - go to Second Life or something.

Yes, the traders do run out of money, but that happens and is not the only way you can get money without spending Euros.

What is more, apart from your premium payments, if you don't want to spend any money at all in game - you don't need to. You can build a house, grow your skills, farm, cook, fight the scorpions (and other players on wild), all without spending any additional money at all. In fact, spending extra money wont help you to become a great player - playing the game does that. And on Wurm you can make that choice.

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

ofcourse its easier to get stuff through buying money... 

Originally posted by mutator

ofcourse its easier to get stuff through buying money... 

I would say that probably applies to most of life!

Not always satisfying though