Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nature decides...

[Link]

Scans see 'gay brain differences'

The brains of gay men and women look like those found in heterosexual people of the opposite sex, research suggests.

The Swedish study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences journal, compared the size of the brain's halves in 90 adults.

Gay men and heterosexual women had halves of a similar size, while the right side was bigger in lesbian women and heterosexual men.

A UK scientist said this was evidence sexual orientation was set in the womb.

-- More @ the Link --

The important statement in this article is toward the bottom:

"As far as I'm concerned there is no argument any more - if you are gay, you are born gay," he [Dr Qazi Rahman] said.

This is something that I found to be quite interesting.  I've never been one to condemn gays for their lifestyle.  I've known several throughout my life and I've always realized, by simply talking to them, that they were born the way they are.   It has always been sad that certain groups automatically condemn these people for being different on an issue that is none of their business.  This study won't stop this from happening, but it is a start to overcome the ignorance that people hold.  Albeit, that's a lot of ignorance.  Especially when people think that their marriages will be affected by Gays and Lesbians getting married.  I dare say the hate will win out, for a time, over science.

- LC

Comments

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548

People are born with certain tendencies which are fostered by their environment.  To say one is born 100% gay is not possible imo.  I have talked to guys certain they were gay and found they were church going folks with a wife and like 5 kids.  Then there are guys who I was certain were not gay and turns out they are.  Just like some people have a harder time kicking addictions then others.  we're all built a little different but ultimately it is the choices you make.  If you choose to give into your weaknesses then too bad for you.  I would love to just eat food all day and be a total fat ass but I don't because I know it's the worng choice.  I think that most people who are gay have made a series of choices that have led them to that.  I'm sure that there is a certain percentage that really has no choice though as their feelings are just too overwhelming.  I base this on no scientific research, just the way I observe things in humans and in nature.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

We should still discriminate against them though.

• bobblerbobbler Member UncommonPosts: 810

I was born with underdeveloped lungs but I can currently run 12 miles at the flick of a wrist. I also have slight funnel chest, doesn't mean i cant do what people who have an easier time breathing can do. So i'm supossed to believe gay people are born gay because a slight difference in brain size?

• LuckyCurseLuckyCurse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by arvainis

People are born with certain tendencies which are fostered by their environment.  To say one is born 100% gay is not possible imo.  I have talked to guys certain they were gay and found they were church going folks with a wife and like 5 kids.  Then there are guys who I was certain were not gay and turns out they are.  Just like some people have a harder time kicking addictions then others.  we're all built a little different but ultimately it is the choices you make.  If you choose to give into your weaknesses then too bad for you.  I would love to just eat food all day and be a total fat ass but I don't because I know it's the worng choice.  I think that most people who are gay have made a series of choices that have led them to that.  I'm sure that there is a certain percentage that really has no choice though as their feelings are just too overwhelming.  I base this on no scientific research, just the way I observe things in humans and in nature.

I'm not sure how loving the person you are attracted to is a weakness.  Whether it is the opposite sex or the same.  To compare it to eating too much, or being addicted, or some such thing is ridiculous.  If the world were suddenly 95% gay and you were in the minority, how would you feel if you were told that your love for the opposite sex is wrong, a weakness that you should attempt to overcome, and you are a sinner for being born the way you are?

How would you feel if your parents were to send you to a camp to 'fix' you? Or counseling?

Being Gay/Lesbian isn't the problem.  The World and its inability to cope with the different is the problem.

And finally, what we observe in 'nature' and 'humans', when considering gays/lesbians, is so distorted by stigma, bigotry, and hate that we cannot know what a natural development would be for these individuals.  Yes, there are gays/lesbians living a 'straight' lifestyle because that is what society has thrust upon them.  It doesn't mean that they are 'fixed'.  It doesn't mean that they are now 'right'.  It means that society is so screwed up that it meddled in what was natural for them and changed their lives.  So, yes, you say that they made a 'choice'.  I say, and so does this study, that they were born to it. 

When I read your words I can see why they try to fight it.  The pain, the hate, and the condemnation they face for being who they are would be enough to make anyone run and hide.  No one wants to become a pariah.  People like to fit in.   All the more reason to be proud of those who do come out and make a stand. 

Epiphany moment... I think I now understand the reason for those gaudy parades and flashy ways.  It really is gay pride.  Good for them.  Shame on you.

This study shows that being gay isn't something to overcome or 'fix', it is something that is natural.  It is, in its own way, perfect.

- LC

Originally posted by bobbler

I was born with underdeveloped lungs but I can currently run 12 miles at the flick of a wrist. I also have slight funnel chest, doesn't mean i cant do what people who have an easier time breathing can do. So i'm supossed to believe gay people are born gay because a slight difference in brain size?

Again, a comparison of being gay to being disabled or inferior in some way.  Nice way of thinking. 

As to your question, what if you were told that the size of one side of your brain helped determine that you would be attracted to the opposite sex (it's true)? Why are you falling for such a handicap? You don't have to be a sinner any longer.  You can get over this ridiculous 'feeling'.  Just overcome your natural feelings and you can love someone of the same sex.  Go on, try it.  We'll be so happy to see you act 'normal'...   

- LC

Originally posted by LuckyCurse

Again, a comparison of being gay to being disabled or inferior in some way.  Nice way of thinking. 
    As to your question, what if you were told that the size of one side of your brain helped determine that you would be attracted to the opposite sex (it's true)? Why are you falling for such a handicap? You don't have to be a sinner any longer.  You can get over this ridiculous 'feeling'.  Just overcome your natural feelings and you can love someone of the same sex.  Go on, try it.  We'll be so happy to see you act 'normal'...   
    - LC

What i was getting at is i made the choices to become athletic, just like i make the choices to take interest in females. So obviously if your brain is sized slightly different you do not have a choice to like females you MUST like males. That is because the left side of your brain is slightly larger. logical. Also because my hair parts from the right side to the left I WILL enjoy videogames . and who said being gay isnt a disability.

so if being gay isn't a choice then obviously it's a defect or more people would have the gay.

• fantarosfantaros Member Posts: 394

The thing that bothers, or even annoys most about the gay community is not their sexual orientation, it's their way of life. U like having sex with some1 of the same sex as yourself? fine by me. What every1 does in their bedroom is their decision and their alone. But when half of the gay community adopts that certain lifestyle screaming they are gay and how much fun it is to have intercourse with some1 of the same sex as you it becomes bothersome even annoying. I bet no brain disformity is accounted for that certain lifestyle.

Besides nature is governed by two instincts, the instinct of survival and the instinct of reproduction. I find it kind of hard for earth's perfect nature (or almost perfect) to decide not to provide certain humans with one of it's two fundamental instincts. At least not to such an extent.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I have a very controversial view point that may cause be to be castigated but here goes...

I consider being gay or a lesbian to an illness. You may not have chosen it and it may not be your fault but it is not normal. Just like being born without an arm or being born with a defective spine are not normal, neither is loving and being intimate with a member of the same sex.

That is not how it was supposed to be. We are not biologically designed to have intercourse with a member of the same sex. You never hear a person born with just one arm advocating that it is normal, it just is, abnormal but real.

I don't hate gays/lesbians, as long as they keep their lifestyles to themselves

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

you can be attracted to the same sex, but its the choice to act on it.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    Originally posted by outfctrl

I have a very controversial view point that may cause be to be castigated but here goes...
    I consider being gay or a lesbian to an illness. You may not have chosen it and it may not be your fault but it is not normal. Just like being born without an arm or being born with a defective spine are not normal, neither is loving and being intimate with a member of the same sex.
    That is not how it was supposed to be. We are not biologically designed to have intercourse with a member of the same sex. You never hear a person born with just one arm advocating that it is normal, it just is, abnormal but real.

I have yet to see how being gay has any negative impact on the way you live your life other then discrimination and violence against you by right-wing bigots..

Whether you think it's a "disease" or "their choice", it's their way of life and you're not going to change it. So get over it.

And what do you mean "keep their lifestyles to themselves"? Why the hell should they have to? How is that ANY of your business?

• JustBeJustBe Member Posts: 495

What if you're bi? Do you have 2 brains?

----------------------------------------
    Talking about SWG much?

Originally posted by Nierro

I have yet to see how being gay has any negative impact on the way you live your life other then discrimination and violence against you by right-wing bigots..

Whether you think it's a "disease" or "their choice", it's their way of life and you're not going to change it. So get over it.

And what do you mean "keep their lifestyles to themselves"? Why the hell should they have to? How is that ANY of your business?

LINK

nuff said

How is that controversial? You're going with how the majority of people in America feel about homosexuals.  Do you seriously think you're a rebel of some sort by taking this position?

This study shows a difference between the heterosexual and the homosexual brains.  Nature has created this difference in many people.  It isn't a disease, or an illness, it is evolution creating a 3rd role in society.  Do you really think that all people need to reproduce in order to fulfill some unknown objective?  I don't have kids, I don't want kids, and I will never, barring a failure of protective measures, have kids.  Did I just fail some test? Am I now sick?

Homosexuals do not add to the gross population (although some do), but instead they can still contribute to society.  Is it so hard to imagine a 3rd role developing in a tribal setting?  Homosexuality seems to be a great response to overpopulation.  I think it is perfectly fine that a low percentage of people were never meant to create children of their own.  However, they can still raise children.  And do. 

It's too bad that when nature created this 3rd niche, it failed to send an instruction booklet along to tell people to settle down and not persecute these people because they are different.  Instead, humans created their own flawed instruction booklets (religious texts), and use those to condemn these perfectly normal people. 

People love who they are biologically driven to love.  Homosexuality has existed since the beginning of man for a reason.  It exists in animals today, as well.  It is natural.  It is normal.

- LC

Originally posted by tvalentine

you can be attracted to the same sex, but its the choice to act on it.

And? Are you saying you're no longer going to date the opposite sex?

- LC

so if being gay isn't a choice then obviously it's a defect or more people would have the gay.

That makes no sense.  Might as well call left-handedness a defect because there aren't more people with the left-handedness. 

One thought on all of this:  Nature has a way of handling population numbers.  Heterosexuals giving birth to homosexuals is one of them.  A large number of homosexuals would endanger a race.  A small number helps to control numbers.  Society stigmatizes homosexuality causing homosexuals to reproduce in order to fit in to society.  Nature's balance is thrown off.  

The number of 'the gay' is probably just right.  The way they are treated is just plain wrong.

- LC

Originally posted by fantaros

The thing that bothers, or even annoys most about the gay community is not their sexual orientation, it's their way of life. U like having sex with some1 of the same sex as yourself? fine by me. What every1 does in their bedroom is their decision and their alone. But when half of the gay community adopts that certain lifestyle screaming they are gay and how much fun it is to have intercourse with some1 of the same sex as you it becomes bothersome even annoying. I bet no brain disformity is accounted for that certain lifestyle.

It is called being 'out and proud'.   It is a brave decision to make when a person is hated by a majority of people in the community.  If they want to scream about it at the top of their lungs, cool.  This is the backlash that society has created by treating people negatively for so long, for something that is perfectly natural.  Not to mention, how many heterosexuals act in the same manner? You see it everywhere.  Public sex.  Public displays of affection.  Public boasts of sexual conquest.  It's all over the television.  Radio.  Movies.  The heterosexual lifestyle is IN YOUR FACE. 

It is all a private matter, so why do heterosexuals act the same way? I don't have an answer, because I, as a heterosexual, don't have a problem with sex and the discussion of it.  What a strange culture we live in.   I guess what you're trying to say is that it is 'icky' compared to what you do.  In that I say, grow up.

Besides nature is governed by two instincts, the instinct of survival and the instinct of reproduction. I find it kind of hard for earth's perfect nature (or almost perfect) to decide not to provide certain humans with one of it's two fundamental instincts. At least not to such an extent.

This is overly simplistic.  There is more to the issue of instincts and intelligence than what you have listed here.

-LC

Originally posted by bobbler so if being gay isn't a choice then obviously it's a defect or more people would have the gay.
    That makes no sense.  Might as well call left-handedness a defect because there aren't more people with the left-handedness. 
    One thought on all of this:  Nature has a way of handling population numbers.  Heterosexuals giving birth to homosexuals is one of them.  A large number of homosexuals would endanger a race.  A small number helps to control numbers.  Society stigmatizes homosexuality causing homosexuals to reproduce in order to fit in to society.  Nature's balance is thrown off.  
    The number of 'the gay' is probably just right.  The way they are treated is just plain wrong.
    - LC

So by your view impotency is obviously not a defect either, o yah also mental retardation that can't be a defect. "the gay" affects reproduction unlike being left handed. anything that causes a human to not be able to reproduce is a defect. Therefore if you have "the gay" you are defective.

- LC

So by your view impotency is obviously not a defect either, o yah also mental retardation that can't be a defect. "the gay" affects reproduction unlike being left handed. anything that causes a human to not be able to reproduce is a defect. Therefore if you have "the gay" you are defective.

Anything that causes a human to not be able to reproduce is a defect? Who says that a gay/lesbian can't reproduce? As I already mentioned, often society and pressure is the cause of homosexuals reproducing against their natural instincts.  So, does that mean they are no longer defective since they can reproduce when driven against their natural desires?

You seem to hint at your true feelings on the subject (defective, ill, etc.), but I would like to see you share more.  Is this a hatred of gays that you carry? Why do you feel the way you do?

- LC

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

I found this video to be quite applicable to this thread.

www.collegehumor.com/video:1819975

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548

I'm not sure how loving the person you are attracted to is a weakness.  Whether it is the opposite sex or the same.  To compare it to eating too much, or being addicted, or some such thing is ridiculous.  If the world were suddenly 95% gay and you were in the minority, how would you feel if you were told that your love for the opposite sex is wrong, a weakness that you should attempt to overcome, and you are a sinner for being born the way you are?

How would you feel if your parents were to send you to a camp to 'fix' you? Or counseling?

Being Gay/Lesbian isn't the problem.  The World and its inability to cope with the different is the problem.

And finally, what we observe in 'nature' and 'humans', when considering gays/lesbians, is so distorted by stigma, bigotry, and hate that we cannot know what a natural development would be for these individuals.  Yes, there are gays/lesbians living a 'straight' lifestyle because that is what society has thrust upon them.  It doesn't mean that they are 'fixed'.  It doesn't mean that they are now 'right'.  It means that society is so screwed up that it meddled in what was natural for them and changed their lives.  So, yes, you say that they made a 'choice'.  I say, and so does this study, that they were born to it. 

When I read your words I can see why they try to fight it.  The pain, the hate, and the condemnation they face for being who they are would be enough to make anyone run and hide.  No one wants to become a pariah.  People like to fit in.   All the more reason to be proud of those who do come out and make a stand. 

Epiphany moment... I think I now understand the reason for those gaudy parades and flashy ways.  It really is gay pride.  Good for them.  Shame on you.

This study shows that being gay isn't something to overcome or 'fix', it is something that is natural.  It is, in its own way, perfect.

- LC

In Science they use something called a baseline or a standard.  Heterosexuality is the baseline.  Homosexuality is the "error".  There are varying degrees of the error.  There are flamers who run around like women and flaunt their sexuality, there are guys who are strongly gay but do not flaunt it, there are gays who refuse to come out of the closet.  I would call it different flavors.  Just like food and the way our bodies process it differently.  The baseline is a modest food intake with modest weight gain unless you spend x amount of time exercising.  That being said there are people who eat a little and gain weight faster, people who eat a lot and do not gain any weight which could be errors.  That being said is it still ridiculous to compare the two?  If your answer is yes then I suggest you pick up a science book and search ebay for "common sense"

And Shame on Me?  Shame on You!  These sickos pervert our children and force them to think that homosexuality is the norm.  Well it is not the norm and it is not natural.  Homosexuality provides people with nothing, if it was natural then we would have no gender and it wouldn't matter who you mate with you could still reproduce.  You find one study and believe it to be the Truth.  This guy could be a whacked out idiot.  In the end Homosexuality is a choice.  Homosexuality is wrong, I will not condone it and I will fight against it being taught as the norm.  If they want to be gay fine, I have NO problem with it, just do not force it down the nations throat and keep it in your own private chambers.  Shame on you Sir for defying Gods natural order.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

- LC

In Science they use something called a baseline or a standard.  Heterosexuality is the baseline.  Homosexuality is the "error".  There are varying degrees of the error.  There are flamers who run around like women and flaunt their sexuality, there are guys who are strongly gay but do not flaunt it, there are gays who refuse to come out of the closet.  I would call it different flavors.  Just like food and the way our bodies process it differently.  The baseline is a modest food intake with modest weight gain unless you spend x amount of time exercising.  That being said there are people who eat a little and gain weight faster, people who eat a lot and do not gain any weight which could be errors.  That being said is it still ridiculous to compare the two?  If your answer is yes then I suggest you pick up a science book and search ebay for "common sense"

And Shame on Me?  Shame on You!  These sickos pervert our children and force them to think that homosexuality is the norm.  Well it is not the norm and it is not natural.  Homosexuality provides people with nothing, if it was natural then we would have no gender and it wouldn't matter who you mate with you could still reproduce.  You find one study and believe it to be the Truth.  This guy could be a whacked out idiot.  In the end Homosexuality is a choice.  Homosexuality is wrong, I will not condone it and I will fight against it being taught as the norm.  If they want to be gay fine, I have NO problem with it, just do not force it down the nations throat and keep it in your own private chambers.  Shame on you Sir for defying Gods natural order.

BUMP!

In Science they use something called a baseline or a standard.  Heterosexuality is the baseline.  Homosexuality is the "error". 

Actually, it would be considered an orientation in a grouping known as 'sexuality'.  Not error, or malfunction, or whatever sick term you decide for it.

There are varying degrees of the error.  There are flamers who run around like women and flaunt their sexuality, there are guys who are strongly gay but do not flaunt it, there are gays who refuse to come out of the closet.  I would call it different flavors. 

Is this more scientific knowledge from you?

Just like food and the way our bodies process it differently.  The baseline is a modest food intake with modest weight gain unless you spend x amount of time exercising.  That being said there are people who eat a little and gain weight faster, people who eat a lot and do not gain any weight which could be errors.  That being said is it still ridiculous to compare the two?  If your answer is yes then I suggest you pick up a science book and search ebay for "common sense"

First, I think you have no understanding of science.  I present a scientific study with a solid chunk of information that you disagree with, and you come back with:  I base this on no scientific research, just the way I observe things in humans and in nature.  Well, golly gee, let's just write this stuff down and teach it to students! We'll call it the Theory of Talking Out of My Bum. 

You change the argument you originally presented from the majority of homosexuals have made a choice to become a societal pariah, to it is now a biological error that is comparable to some people gaining weight and others not.  

You throw around 'baseline' like it is meaningful.  You're not the baseline race of the world, therefore you are an error.  You're not the baseline height, therefore, you're an error.  You're not the baseline weight, therefore you're an error.  This is ignorant pseudo-science used by a hate-monger.    

And Shame on Me?  Shame on You!  These sickos pervert our children and force them to think that homosexuality is the norm. 

There ya go!! Let the hate flow through you!  You tell those perverted sicko satanic demon-possessed freaks of nature! WOooooOOooo!  Glad we finally got the truth out of you.  That you, sir, are a bigot.  Good for you for coming out of the closet. 

Well it is not the norm and it is not natural. 

It is 'a' norm.  It is quite normal, and it is quite natural --as this study shows.  It has been around since the dawn of man, and it is in nature today.  Did you know there are homosexual animals? What could be more natural than nature? You are defying nature with your hatred.

Homosexuality provides people with nothing,

Love? Companionship? Security? Yeah, I'm sure that is nothing to you.  It's only about children.  Right? If you can't reproduce then you are an aberration.  An error from the almighty 'baseline'. 

if it was natural then we would have no gender and it wouldn't matter who you mate with you could still reproduce. 

That makes no sense.  I'm getting used to that from you. 

You find one study and believe it to be the Truth.  This guy could be a whacked out idiot. 

Yeah, or a scientist!  An Atheist Homosexual Scientist!! Eegads!   Or, it could have been a well-thought out and researched study with new proof that nature decided, through the evolutionary process, to switch people off to reproduction. Perhaps you should conduct your own study and disprove it.  When you apply for a grant, be sure to tell them about your Theory of Talking Out of My Bum.  It was really scientific and might get you some cash.

In the end Homosexuality is a choice. 

If you mean it is a choice to have homosexual relations, then sure, it is a choice unless it was forced on you by a Catholic Priest.  But it is also a choice for Heterosexuals -- unless you're just really ugly.  Being a homosexual or a heterosexual isn't a choice, but participating in it is.

Homosexuality is wrong, I will not condone it and I will fight against it being taught as the norm. 

Good for you.  Good for gays that your fighting technique is so pathetic that it won't be a drop in the bucket compared to what bigots like you already put them through.  Keep your ignorance.  You're very good at it.

If they want to be gay fine, I have NO problem with it, just do not force it down the nations throat and keep it in your own private chambers. 

Heterosexuals don't keep it private, why should normal gay people do the same? Because you're such a big bad majority and you want to shove that minority in its place and tell them what for?  Pfft.

Shame on you Sir for defying Gods natural order.

God? Which God? Zeus? I don't think Zeus has a problem with homosexuality.  Oh, wait... the Christian God you say? Oh, well, apparently God made people with brains that are homosexual and heterosexual in nature.  He also created homosexual animals to show that it is perfectly natural and okay.  I think you've defied what God has made readily apparent to everyone.  Oh, and did I mention I have no god belief whatsoever? Yeah, so don't tell me what your fictional friend wants or does not want.  Might as well tell me what comic books have to say on the subject. Which, now that I think about it, you might be using as a science textbook considering your lack of knowledge.

Will be nice when bigotry is gone.  Might have to get rid of religion first though, it would seem.

- LC

BUMP!

Of course.  Someone spews pseudo-science, ignorance and hate, and you're all for bumping.  How sad.

- LC

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Will be nice when bigotry is gone.  Might have to get rid of religion first though, it would seem.
    - LC

God gave man reason, not religion.

Religion is purely a political addition by man. Any particular belief set can be turned into a religion - people are already speaking of how the "Green Cause" is becoming a religion.

Now, to step back on track. No one can be certain whether this is genetic or if it is by choice. Honestly, this study seems as a rather poor attempt to promote and prove homosexuality - that is it. The results could signify just about anything. I'll say with an almost certainty, without performing tests, you will find similar results which would prove opposite results. It's viewing the material objectively.

I have no issue with gays overall.I do have issues with flamboyant flamers. Whether genetic or by choice, there is no reason for an individual to dress like this:

You can be gay and still make yourself respectable without turning into a queen. I think that is why most people have a problem. What you do behind closed doors is your business.