Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

some info on DNL 2.0 for _Pix_

DeadDOGDeadDOG Member Posts: 362

i recived this e-mail after calling and e-mailing NP3 and anyone i could about what the hell is going on with DNL.

I like the idea of the game. and the the Vworld was just killer. the Bugs where harder to fight then the Mobs in the game.

i wish someone would buy the game and pay you for the use of Vworld. or make some kind of deal with you.

(lol NP3 can rip off Vworld but can not Rip off a good combat system like the one in AOC)

here is the E-mail i recived.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:03:41 +0400

Dear Chris,

Unfortunately, we are not very talkative, but we are still alive and we're spending our best efforts to improve Dark and Light.

There has been no patch since the beginning of the year, but this is an intentional choice we've done to spend 100% of our time on the next release rather than patching the previous version used by the players.

We are now a team even smaller than before, and, yes, we are in need of a dozen programmers but can't afford to pay them. If you know high-skilled programmers that work for free, please contact me :-)

The positive point is that we're working with the great cooperation of SnailGame to improve the game, and that we have reached about 70% of the new developments planned to relaunch Dark and Light.

We still believe in the project, still love it, and we're sure that our steadiness will reward us and Dark and Light.

Looking forward to unveiling the new version !

Best regards,

David Grossi

www.DigitalMindz.com

Comments

• pingo75pingo75 Member Posts: 29

You should wait for court case to finish ... no sane company would invest in product that is under court proceedings.

Besides, I don't trust SnailGame one bit.

• EbonHawkEbonHawk Member Posts: 545

Interesting indeed...

But with the horrible press this game received I cannot fathom how they can pull this off.

However, I do with them luck.

• DeadDOGDeadDOG Member Posts: 362

i do not know who David Grossi is.

but he did reply to me on the game. that counts for something.

seeing no one told us anything for a year.

Pix you up to makeing a MMORPG?

www.DigitalMindz.com

• pingo75pingo75 Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by EbonHawk

Interesting indeed...
    But with the horrible press this game received I cannot fathom how they can pull this off.

In reference to OP ...

Even if they pull off something from that project, I really doubt the game would use VworldTerain software after all that happened. And lets be honest, without that DnL is not that unique anymore.

• DeadDOGDeadDOG Member Posts: 362

with out Vworld its not DNL

www.DigitalMindz.com

• _Pix__Pix_ Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by DeadDOG

Date:
    Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:03:41 +0400

"David Grossi" [email protected]

Well, this response is dating a bit by now. It seems that lots of episodes have been gong on ever since that date.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by _Pix_

Date:

Well, this response is dating a bit by now. It seems that lots of episodes have been gong on ever since that date.

So they sent, DeadDOG a form letter that is over 7 months old?  Amazing. 

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by indiramourn

Date:

Well, these are people who would bill you a year or more later whether you cancel or not, so responding to an e-mail 7 months later wouldn't be too surprising.

• -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325

Woa... this forum still exists? And DnL still exists? Amazing...

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

• EnahowaeEnahowae Member Posts: 59

Hey Inferno, you mean to say you're staff and you don't know that this forum and DnL still exist?

Maybe it's time you guys did a second review of the game, or at least an investigative article about this whole Farlan/Snailgame cahoots. "Enquiring minds want to know."

Played: UO, SWG Pre-CU (until 11/16/05), Various F2P's
    Playing: GW
    Awaiting: WAR, DF
    Never played: WoW

• EnahowaeEnahowae Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Date:

Well, these are people who would bill you a year or more later whether you cancel or not, so responding to an e-mail 7 months later wouldn't be too surprising.

David Grossi hasn't worked there for quite some time.

Looks like they necro'd one of his old e-mails lol. At the time of the e-mail, he was working at Dailymotion. His bio at www.linkdin.com/pub/5/45b/4b5 doesn't even mention NP3 or Farlan. LOL.

I'd be embarrassed to have them on my resume, too!

Played: UO, SWG Pre-CU (until 11/16/05), Various F2P's
    Playing: GW
    Awaiting: WAR, DF
    Never played: WoW

Originally posted by Enahowae

Looks like they necro'd one of his old e-mails lol. At the time of the e-mail, he was working at Dailymotion. His bio at www.linkdin.com/pub/5/45b/4b5 doesn't even mention NP3 or Farlan. LOL.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/45b/4b5 : seems there was a typo in your link . As far as I know David Grossi is a very close friend of Cesar Jaquet's, but never was an employee at NPCube since he does not appear in the official list of employees handed over by C.Jacquet. My guess is that he belongs to the Farlan side of business. Not sure he will answer then if *somebody* enquires about that litlle detail.

@thePREdiger if David Grossi was presented as the Community Manager, well he did not seem to be very talkative : http://www.darkandlight.com/forum/member.php?u=192328 . Unless of course he is making use of other pseudos...

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Originally posted by Enahowae

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/45b/4b5 : seems there was a typo in your link . As far as I know David Grossi is a very close friend of Cesar Jaquet's, but never was an employee at NPCube since he does not appear in the official list of employees handed over by C.Jacquet. My guess is that he belongs to the Farlan side of business. Not sure he will answer then if *somebody* enquires about that litlle detail.

@thePREdiger if David Grossi was presented as the Community Manager, well he did not seem to be very talkative : http://www.darkandlight.com/forum/member.php?u=192328 . Unless of course he is making use of other pseudos...

So SOMEBODY over there at the notorious Farceland/NPFleece or the OP changed the date on that email, either before or after the poster posted it eh?

BWHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAAAAAAA

Farceland/NPFleece and their lot have GOT to be the worlds most bumbling masterminds!

BWAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHHHAHAAA

Originally posted by thePREdiger

nope he wasn't at all ;)
    sadly I do not remember the link to the beta forums (they were up long after the beta closed and perhaps still are...) so I could check on his post count there - should be around 25 at tops !

Yes, these boards are still active: total amount of 3 posts for the "Community Manager", David Grossi. C. Jacquet posted also some "interesting" comments a couple of  years ago: he mainly claimed that the former 2003-2004 NPCube team left after having put many bugs in the source code of Mafate/DnL on purpose. And then of course, this "info" has been spread thanks to the many "unofficial community managers" of NPCube and al.

@Cholayna: I think more simply that D.Grossi wrote this e-mail end 2007 and that the OP posted it here for some reasons 7 months later. BTW, D.Grossi was saying that they were still working with SnailGame in order to relaunch DnL. Anybody got more recent news on this subject? Maybe on the official boards... apart from this http://www.darkandlight.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72027 ?

• sorezsorez Member Posts: 39

Well rumour has it that snailgames... (or the part of it that was working with farlan) has gone belly up, unfortunatly its all in chinese so don't know if info is valid

So hopefully we'll see the end to this saga either from this or from the october court case after all

• ZorbaneZorbane Member UncommonPosts: 529

http://english.17173.com/content/2008-06-21/20080621000856544.shtml

Beijing Snailgame Shut down

The company came into liquidation.

As reported by a local newspaper, Beijing Snailgame Co., Ltd, registration number:1101081702679, has decided to file an application to the authority, to cancle the registration. The decision was made by company board. The company also set up a liquidation team to settle debt issues with creditors.

Since its foundation, Beijing Snailgame has operated some famous online games, such as Voyage Century, Age of Arms and Dark and Light. Snailgame also set up a company in Suzhou. The move to shut down Beijing company, means the issue on company capital or turing from North to South? We can only wait and see.

Originally posted by sorez

Well rumour has it that snailgames... (or the part of it that was working with farlan) has gone belly up, unfortunatly its all in chinese so don't know if info is valid
    So hopefully we'll see the end to this saga either from this or from the october court case after all

Yes, it seems that SnailGame is closing shop, according to the news Zorbane posted, but you are right to be quite suspicious with SnailGame/NPCube and all offcial lies communication...

About the coming October court case, the "saga" has almost come to its end already: as you know, NPCube sued VWORLD claiming VWORLD was responsible for NPCube's own failures and claiming NPCube was not making use of VWorldTerrain technology: they were proven wrong on all points, were dismissed, convicted and fined. These are facts and anybody trying to deny these facts to me cannot but have an obvious interest in doing this.

Now that NPCube and SnailGame seem to be in a very uncomfortable position, I really doubt David.Grossi will send a second e-mail claiming that they are building a new new DnL. But I wouldn't be too surprised to hear/read/learn that they are building another company, under another name, you know, to build other stories, if this is not already done. 

This answers the OP question, at least to some extent, I think.

Originally posted by sorez

Yes, it seems that SnailGame is closing shop, according to the news Zorbane posted, but you are right to be quite suspicious with SnailGame/NPCube and all offcial lies communication...

About the coming October court case, the "saga" has almost come to its end already: as you know, NPCube sued VWORLD claiming VWORLD was responsible for NPCube's own failures and claiming NPCube was not making use of VWorldTerrain technology: they were proven wrong on all points, were dismissed, convicted and fined. These are facts and anybody trying to deny these facts to me cannot but have an obvious interest in doing this.

Now that NPCube and SnailGame seem to be in a very uncomfortable position, I really doubt David.Grossi will send a second e-mail claiming that they are building a new new DnL. But I wouldn't be too surprised to hear/read/learn that they are building another company, under another name, you know, to build other stories, if this is not already done. 

This answers the OP question, at least to some extent, I think.

Aye, I would have to agree with  you _Pix_. With that sleazebag Jacquet involved,  this just may be an attempt by them both to try and cancel any association with Farlan's previous actions but at the same time open under another name/company and continue their bs. 

Problem with that tho is that portion of Snailgames involved with DNL will still feel the ache if this is pursued through other avenues - which I hope it would be. Actions "after the fact" do not alter the previous actions and still leave liability in its wake.

If this doesnt add yet another topping to the sundae in the case against Farlan and any of its associations in the business as well as gaming world, I honestly can't think of what further proof anyone who has any sense needs.

The hammer has fallen, fun to watch them grab the shatters and attempt to bandaid all this. :)

Go _Pix_ Go!  heheheheheee

• DracisDracis Member Posts: 434

Well, for all those that are interested, it seems DnL 1.0 (or whatever you want to call it) is now done. I took my monthly look over at the official forums and seems that the server has been down for two weeks now, there is no word from the mods and obviously none of the devs, if there even are any devs at this point.

Here's a link to the post: http://www.darkandlight.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72063

Seems many are saying their goodbye's and so on. Now all I need to see is _Pix_ winning his court case and my prayers will be answered.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Dracis

Well, for all those that are interested, it seems DnL 1.0 (or whatever you want to call it) is now done. I took my monthly look over at the official forums and seems that the server has been down for two weeks now, there is no word from the mods and obviously none of the devs, if there even are any devs at this point.
    Here's a link to the post: http://www.darkandlight.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72063
    Seems many are saying their goodbye's and so on. Now all I need to see is _Pix_ winning his court case and my prayers will be answered.

Awesome.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

its amazing that certain companies (cough cough funcom) didnt learn something from the epic failure that was D&L. Another bad title bites the dust. Its tombstone should read D&L : All hype, no hope.

• ZorbaneZorbane Member UncommonPosts: 529

Awesome.

Go away Zorvan, nobody likes you

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Zorbane

Awesome.

Ha ha!   To paraphrase from Shakespeare:

DnL is not a tragic hero, it is a pathetic, powerless, and infirm old man whose story resembles that of all human beings, ending not with a bang but with a whimper when the mortal coil of life unwinds.

Originally posted by Zorbane

Awesome.

Ha ha!   To paraphrase from Shakespeare:

DnL is not a tragic hero, it is a pathetic, powerless, and infirm old man whose story resembles that of all human beings, ending not with a bang but with a whimper when the mortal coil of life unwinds.

Touche'!

Luv ya Zorv!!!!

Indira...I have always admired you. Keep on posting!!

• TalinguardTalinguard Member UncommonPosts: 676
    Originally posted by -Inferno-

Woa... this forum still exists? And DnL still exists? Amazing...

My sentiments excactly...

Presentation for new MMORPG economics concept http://www.slideshare.net/talin/mmo-economics-concept-v-10