Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't get it.

levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

So, despite the fact that the game is apparently in a very early beta stage and has generation 1 Doom style graphics, I could appreciate the concept behind it all.

I logged in and began fist punching mobs, which appears to be the only attack until you get a weapon. I could not damage anything and they could not damage me. At one point I got about 50 mobs into a group and they all sat there pounding on me, I took no damage, and I did no damage.

I can appreciate and respect the small-time grass roots effort behind this game, but is this normal for this project? Was it a bug that I couldn't even affect or be affected by the zombies/bandits/etc. In fact, half the time I tried to attack mobs they would just run as fast as they could even tho I wasn't doing any damage.

I am not sure how you can even get past the bodies that float up and down into the air and into the earth, the hitting jump and flying 50 feet, the severe jaggies and 1999 graphics if you can't even interact with the world.

Oh well. I guess I'm going to have to uninstall it. I doubt they will be able to garner much support for this product being that it is 2008 and people tend to like modern graphics, but even those of us who are willing to take the plunge are apparently jacked.

POLL: HAHA, I was typing in other choices that were more realistic and not so extreme, but it won't let me edit it.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

Comments

• InevitableSilenceInevitableSilence Member UncommonPosts: 82

Since when did graphics have everything to do with a game?

It's called an independent developer. Not everyone can afford several hundred thousand dollar game engines. I can't say anything for the mechanics or gameplay, but graphics should NEVER be your deciding point for a game.

It's insulting to see so many people that are that stupid to continuously complain about graphics. As an independent developer myself, I know what creating a game is like. It's not as easy as your job, sitting on your ass playing the games all day.

Try and make a game yourself. Please. I'd love you to enlighten us with your amazing talent as a game designer. You obviously know what makes a good game.

• Myron41Myron41 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Mequellios

Since when did graphics have everything to do with a game?
    It's called an independent developer. Not everyone can afford several hundred thousand dollar game engines. I can't say anything for the mechanics or gameplay, but graphics should NEVER be your deciding point for a game.
    It's insulting to see so many people that are that stupid to continuously complain about graphics. As an independent developer myself, I know what creating a game is like. It's not as easy as your job, sitting on your ass playing the games all day.
    Try and make a game yourself. Please. I'd love you to enlighten us with your amazing talent as a game designer. You obviously know what makes a good game.

Hmmm.......interesting.  I would point out that at their core,

A) All games have similar mechanics with only minute variations.

B)  All games involve endless grinding to level up.

C) The main purpose of 99.999% of games is having to grind to be a higher level than the person next to you so you can stomp them in PVP.

D) All games having no other goal other than leveling when it comes down to it. 

So the only differences between the hundreds of grindfests out there that occur to me are the communities involved and, as much as you hate the idea, the graphics.  So yes graphics are important.

The only difference when it comes down to it between Last Chaos and Metin 2 are the graphics and the people who play.  Both involve sh*t loads of grinding.  Both have no other goal other than leveling as far as I could see.  Both required spending RL cash to get that little bit further than the people who didnt spend. 

The MMORPG market is stagnant with endless copies/variations on what has gone before with only the graphics and players to differentiate between them.

If you are actually an independent developer in this genre then please break the mould.  Smash it, grind it to dust, because personally I am getting sick and tired of the same old grind for no purpose sh*te that is out there at the moment.

• EnahowaeEnahowae Member Posts: 59

With a company moniker like Broke Ass Games, the devs obviously don't take themselves very seriously, so we probably should not take this game very seriously, either. I've seen the devs' website, and I think this project is more of a hobby to them than a business venture.

Played: UO, SWG Pre-CU (until 11/16/05), Various F2P's
    Playing: GW
    Awaiting: WAR, DF
    Never played: WoW